• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well spotted. It would be nice a word of clarification from the devs on this. Because only the governor was supposed to be the general, so I don't know whats going on there. Because from previous screenshots it didnt look either like you could rise such massive levies from just one region.

hopefully, this means we can raise on a portion of the levy, or split it

It was stated in one of DD's that it's possible to split into smaller armies/detachments lead by legates but this something I would like to read about in separate, future dev diary.

Reactions:
Apart from the Legate each Legion can also have up to 3 Tribunes assigned. Tribunes are characters that do not command the Legion but are still considered to be employed, making them unable to hold other jobs.
Should an army be split from the main army in the Legion the default commander will be one of the Tribunes, and a Tribune will also automatically take the place of the Legate if he or she should fall in battle or otherwise die while serving.
I assume the same just applies to a (raised?) Levy as it does to a Legion.

Reactions:
I assume the same just applies to a (raised?) Levy as it does to a Legion.

Apparently. But they didnt mention the system of tribunes and legates for the levie. They just said 1 general, the governor, period. And I quite liked it that way to make it different from the legion. I hope its the governor who apoints the genera of the split levies, or otherwise we are back to the same system as right now where you just choose generals. The point of the change was to make it so rebelious generals wasnt a thing until legions come along.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Two concerns:
1. Money still seems to be ridiculously high (+23.10 even after so many levies have been raised in the year 513, could be a WIP as money income is still not fully rebalanced)
2. If you look at greece and macedon, cyprus and the area around syria you still see the "glowing borders" bug - I hope it gets fixed too until the release of 2.0.

What I like:
1. Manpower seems to matter as it's very low (one screenshot doesn't necessarily reflects the overall manpower balance, but it's at least an indicator)
2. The colouring of impassable terrain in egypt seems to be fixed (talking about the colouring vs. not colouring, not talking about distinction lines)
3. The monthly changes shown in the top bar
4. New levy map mode (it's not activated, but you can see it in the map mode section - hand holding a spear)

I'm indifferent on the amount of troops, that are already available (over 100k in 513 - how will this scale in the late game, after you occupied even more territories? Especially thinking of micromanagement and performance. But maybe the balance here is also a WIP)

Edit: But I really like that Arheo provides us more teasers, please keep them coming, even if we are critizising things^^

Edit2: One thing worth to be mentioned though is that the screenshots show the AI. So maybe AI Rome gets some additional bonuses, but then it's still interesting, how it looks, if a human player would be in charge of playing.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Did you notice the different helmet size into the controlled armies list ?
Is it related to a general leading or not the army ?

Also yes we can see that the amount of money is quite big with all the levies raised (if these are really levies). But as the gold is not necessary anymore for inventions, maybe the cost of buildings has been increased a lot ? And the is amount of money could be OK then ?
I am just guessing ^^

Reactions:
To be fair, that's only 5 regions with levies raised.
As we can't see Rome, it's possible they have much more land than that, so the income is affected, but only up to a point.

And if I had to guess, I'd say devs are working on a way to split levies (hopefully without being able to control composition) because of attrition.
I'd assume a system where you can't split troops could eventually lead to massive attrition when you have too many pops in a region.
I have no idea what that could mean for generals though.

Reactions:
To be fair, that's only 5 regions with levies raised.
As we can't see Rome, it's possible they have much more land than that, so the income is affected, but only up to a point.

And if I had to guess, I'd say devs are working on a way to split levies (hopefully without being able to control composition) because of attrition.
I'd assume a system where you can't split troops could eventually lead to massive attrition when you have too many pops in a region.
I have no idea what that could mean for generals though.

I'm not sure if Rome is that much larger in 513 to have such a high income despite having so much levies raised from their main regions. And don't forget now that inventions don't cost money, one of the main scaling costs are gone, which means you keep even more of your earned money.

Edit: One thing worth to be mentioned is that Arheo is showing Rome played by the AI. So it might get some bonuses on income.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What if they have created money and levies for testing purposes? Maybe we are reading more than it is, I say this because I usually do it myself.

EDITED: however, 23.10/month for 63 years is 17,463.6. If inventions do not cost money, it is possible to have 3,365 stored. Maybe the game is not yet in pre-alpha.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wait, we can acquire traditions of other cultures now? Excellent.

• 3Like
Reactions:

Arheo

"A legion can have potentially arbitrary numbers of individual armies, although only 1 legate and 3 tribunes, usually meaning it’s unwise to keep them in more than 4 operational units. Tribunes and legates command armies as generals, but legion shares a common history and benefits"

Interesting!
This means a Legion originates in a region and can be split in a unlimited number of stacks, but only 1+3 may have a dedicated commander, making it unwise to have a fifth stack in hostile situations.
This also means that the governor of a region will be the main commander of that regions levy army.

But who will command stacks that separate from the main levy army??? (They said legates will only be allowed for professional legions)

Maybe no-one, which would make it unwise to ever split levy stacks?
Or a token commander with low stats?

May someone ask? I have no Twitter account....

• 2Like
Reactions:
2. If you look at greece and macedon, cyprus and the area around syria you still see the "glowing borders" bug - I hope it gets fixed too until the release of 2.0.
if they release 2.0 with this bug I'll do a Spartacus

#edit
Seriously now, I hope the developers are taking positive criticism seriously to not mess up this relaunch.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: