• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm a bit mixed about the mercenary changes - on one hand I can understand not wanting too much mercenary spam, but on the other, it seems to penalise smaller nations more than larger ones, and while the mega-stable megablobs are a thing, having access to mercenaries is kind of important to not get eaten. Not to mention that using mercenaries is about the only way the small nations have to actual expand
I agree.
I get that a lot of people found it frustrating, but I really like how even small defensive leagues (consisting of about a handful of tribes spanning across one or two regions) could put up a significant resistance if you didn't pay enough attention.
Going into it, I often thought "yeah, my 30k legion is definitely going to be enough for the job", only to win initially but eventually be driven back by merc stacks.
I would still win in the end, often with mercs of my own, but they wouldn't go down without a fight, sometimes earning my genuine respect, and other times earning my full wrath, and I'd annex them and execute their leadership no matter the costl.
Eventually, I learned that I needed at least a few mercs myself to use as cannon fodder in these situations, with a mixed army of mercs and legions that I found quite interesting to play with, only really levying my pops in larger conflicts.
But even still, I needed to pay attention to see if numbers were still in my favor.

I think these wars would be a lot less interesting if I could just steamroll all of them with my legion.
Even through it all, these were very memorable moments, which I think only made my game richer.

• 1Like
Reactions: