• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's logical
Vic 2 represents the sexism and the roles defined for each gender at the time, It has to show this and other political movements.

In the case of I:R, we have female and male represented in characters, their role in society ruled by gender laws and the player can reform them. However, POPs are all male, except for the icon of growth. Is this POP gender representation correct for all societies and cultures in I:R?

I am in favor of not negating women representation in our day life, and maybe I:R could improve on that in some aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Perhaps simply due to me being Asian, I don't get the value of discussing sexism at all.

Sex being misrepresented is itself an individual issue that stems from underrepresentation of historical aspects. Its nature is no different to underrepresenting slaves, cultural aversions or religions.

I'm all for the game representing more historical aspects including that of different sexes. But calling something sexism is counterproductive due to how accusative this word "sexism" is. It's a word without substances other than only being used for pointing at someone and accusing him that he's wrong to mistreat women.

In the Antiquity, women had very specific roles in the society. For example, Greek women would be the backbone of economy and we have this word "economy" thanks to this specific role ("Oikos" means home, as mentioned previously). There were also the Heraean Games for women since the Olympics were reserved for men. There are also records of women participating in wars but not common. Athena Promachos, the patron goddess of Athens, was herself a female warrior. And of course we had the Amazons. And we also had Gladiatrices in Rome.

But then also Roman women did not have names. They were only referred to by their father's name and a number. Julia Prima, Secunda and Tertia respectively mean the first, second and third daughters of Julius.

Greek women had their own names but were mostly referred to by their husband's, brother's or father's name.

Women in antiquity is such an abyss you can invest so much time and efforts in and never get any meaningful game mechanic. It's much simpler to consider a whole family with men and women as an atomic unit.

Reactions:
But calling something sexism is counterproductive due to how accusative this word "sexism" is. It's a word without substances other than only being used for pointing at someone and accusing him that he's wrong to mistreat women.

I use sexism not to accuse anyone but to describe society behavior.

The definition of Sexism from Wikipedia is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender. Sexism can affect anyone, but it primarily affects women and girls. It has been linked to stereotypes and gender roles, and may include the belief that one sex or gender is intrinsically superior to another.

a whole family with men and women as an atomic unit.

One way that we could unintentionally be sexist is misrepresenting the role of women. As you say, women had a role in business and inside the family, thus the game could represent them instead of only representing males.

But I am not an expert on this issue and maybe someone more proficient could open a thread about how to improve I:R on this matter.

• 2Like
Reactions:
1610911029376.png

just wanted to highlight Arheo's comment on this teaser.
If im reading it correctly, raising legiosn will now reduce manpower ie manpower upkeep similar to my vae victis mod :D They seem to be doing it in a better way than i did it as well (as one would expect). Excitement + 1.

• 10Like
Reactions:
View attachment 671951

just wanted to highlight Arheo's comment on this teaser.
If im reading it correctly, raising legiosn will now reduce manpower ie manpower upkeep similar to my vae victis mod :D They seem to be doing it in a better way than i did it as well (as one would expect). Excitement + 1.
I don't know this mod, but it was detailed in the Legions DD that as you raise more legions in a region, less levies become available, serving as a "cap" for the amount of legions you can raise there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well that's something I've never seen! Thrace looking nice, too.

EDIT Really low manpower for Rome, too!

EDIT2: Also really liking how they incorporated the monthly change into the top bar! I love it in that UI mod, and I can't go back to regular without it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am concerned with Macedonian landlocked enclave in Syria. I dont think this sort of thing was possible before medieval era. I would suggest some deadline, after which governor of a landlocked enclave declares independence.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Interesting that there's multiple conscript armies per province - I thought it's one per governor without possibility to split it up?

If it's possible to split e.g. cavalry from infantry, it would be great!

Last edited:
I am concerned with Macedonian landlocked enclave in Syria. I dont think this sort of thing was possible before medieval era. I would suggest some deadline, after which governor of a landlocked enclave declares independence.
CKII solved this very well with their exclave mechanic when the ruler died. I think it will do well here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to see that the AI seems to be smarter and have a chance against way bigger fish.

On the other hand, a bit worried to see that all of the levies of the country are rised and you still manage to have a massive money surplus.

Interesting that there's multiple conscript armies per province - I thought it's one per governor without possibility to split it up?

Well spotted. It would be nice a word of clarification from the devs on this. Because only the governor was supposed to be the general, so I don't know whats going on there. Because from previous screenshots it didnt look either like you could rise such massive levies from just one region.

Reactions:
I am a bit worried by the amount of gold and income Rome has, especially with the amount of levies raised. I am also a bit worried by the amount of levies raised by Rome (142.000 in total...)

One of the most important mechanical changes I hope to see is a 'distance to capital' modifier to province loyalty, with provinces which have a high distance to capital suffer a significant penalty to province loyalty (and output).

Such a modifier would ideally be based on lines of communication, lines which take terrain into account (sea routes being the fastest, mountain routes being very slow). Lines of communications should, ideally, continue through vassal/feudatory lands, but be blocked by independent states. Tech level, innovations, national ideas etc should lessen the impact of the distance to capital modifier.

That would hopefully make enclaves hard (impossible) to maintain, and make wide empires harder to control.

• 8Like
Reactions: