• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
There are things I like about monuments, and things I dislike about them, and I think it's on the verge of being too many monuments in the world atm but in a few regions or special instances I still think there are room for monuments, especially scandinavia.

Scandinavia might be one of the most underrated region in regards to monuments, only having the Heddal stave churches, which granted are pretty cool things but are also pretty poor representation of what was going on in Scandinavia in the early modern era with limited importance.

Really scandinavia feels like it's represented like mongolia where people were nomads and stuff, only featuring an old woden church from befroe the era as the only monuments. Also as a monument it's only really useful if you plan a one faith or a religiously oriented semi-wc like doing the norwegian wood run without getting humanist

Now there are heaps of very possible monuments to represent in scandinavia. Assuming pdx hasn't already planned out a scandinavia thread or made a secret ban on new monuments this could hopefully be of some use.

My top 2 monuments to add in Scandinavia is Krogen/the sound toll and Falu coppermine/the swedish metal industry.
Funnily enough both thigns are represented as existing provicne modifiers showing how important they are.

Now an almost unique situation where small countries with low population managed to become serious contenders on the international scene in the early modern era is intimately tied to the monuments I suggest.

Let's start with Krogen (or Kronoborg) as it was later called.
Krogen was built to collect the Öresund toll and also as general protection from naval attacks. Currently the öresund toll is represented as a +20% trade power boost. This is really not what the sound toll was but since we odn't have mechanics to represent it in other ways it'll has to suffice, now that number is by no mean an exaggeration of the importance of the sound toll.

The toll accounted for 2/3 of the nation danish income in the 16th and 17th century. Just the toll, not the entire dansi htrade. I know euiv is not actually representative of reality (that'd be impossible so not meant as a critique) but in start the trade economy of denmark corresponds to 1/4 of the countries income.

this is my take on Kronoborg (which I guess would be the best name to use as it's the current name of the castle)
Starts at level 1
Noteworthy level:
Provincial modifier:
+20 local trade power
+50% hostile disembark time
+1% hostile fleet attrition
+10% garrison size

Significant Level:
Provincial modifier:
+30 local trade power
+100% hostile disembark time
+2% hostile fleet attrition
+20% garrison size

Area modifier:
local trade power +5% (representing that denmark also took tolls in other islands in the different sounds they controlled)

when upgrade gain 2% crown land (representing how the sound toll made the danish king relatively independent from the aristocracy in order to funtion)

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+40 local trade power
+200% hostile disembark time
+5% hostile fleet attrition
+30% garrison size

Area modifier:
+10% local trade power

When upgraded gain +5% crown land

In short, it's focused on being a powerful trade center and a naval defence.
The trade is powerful but not insane considering the cost to get it, copenhagen gets +40 provincial trade power +10% provincial trade modifier (applying to the entire area)

The naval defense bonuses are on paper powerful but very niche considering the unimportance of a lot of naval play, but considering the position of Själland as a province it could have some use. I'm also considering adding blockade force required, but I think that be stacking too many modifiers on the province (though still not really making the monument that much more powerful. I updated it to include garrison size aswell as it had a signficant garrison stationed at the castle. Basically all these defensive bonuses are so situational, I wouldn't really mind stacking even more of them as they're only useful in keeping the ccity form being conquered.
I'm also considered giving it some smal global trade bonus (1/2/5). Let me know what you think if you are reading this.
Getting some crown lands is nice-ich but kinda marginal (7 in total)

Next up is Falu coppermine. Now the coppermines are not just a hole in the ground, it was a massive industry employing thousands of people and at it's height producing it was responsible for 70% of the copper production in europe
By this logic it should be possible to assume that the goods produced in Falun should corresponds to 70% of all copper produced in europe, comparing with other copper provinces, but well that's not how the game works (again not a criticism) but I think it is notable that it should be a massive source of wealth as it historically was of utmost importance to sweden.
Now problem with the copper mine is the ban on new provinces which were taken after 1.31 destroyed performance for EUIV. Issue here is that the current modifier is in the wrong province. While it could simply be moved to Bergslagen where it should properly be, it messes with the area modifiers I was planning on and as it's unlikely that PDX even consider moving provicnes between areas I will keep the monument incorrectly in Dalaskogen province (Now this is intended as criticism against the developers ill-adviced decision to ban new provinces when the world map is so unbalanced, unfinished and contaisn multiple errors nadm istakes, imagine the number of mistakes globally when they don't even get thigns correct in sweden where the game was originally produced XD). Though if possible there should be a shuffling of areas with the monument placed in bergslagen rather than dalaskogen, and bergdlagen made into an area together with Närke.

Also the current event about wallonian immigrants should be changed as it is anyway kinda odd having permanent modifiers for some immigrants.
I will also assume a peasant estate will be added for scandinavian countries and some other countries as I discuss in this very poorly spelt thread https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/a-case-for-peasant-estate.1405931/

Well over to the modifiers.

Starts at level 1 (could have mission to upgrade it to level 2)
Noteworthy level:
Provincial modifier:
+5 goods produced
+5% goods produced

Significant Level:
Provincial modifier:
+5 goods produced
+10% goods produced

Area modifier:
+0.2 goods produced

Global Modifier:
+5% peasant estate loyalty
+5% peasant estate influence
OR if no peasant estate is added:
-10% cost to promote mercantilism

Upon construction grants +5% peasant loyalty OR +1 mercantilism

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+5 goods produced
+20% goods produced

Area modifier:
+0.5 goods produced

Global Modifier:
+10% peasant estate loyalty
+10% peasant estate influence
OR if no peasant estate is added:
-20% cost to promote mercantilism

Upon construction grants +10% peasant loyalty OR +2 mercantilism

So this was a bit harder for me to balance, as I'm not that hardcore of a numbers guy, and since the peasant estate has not been designed though I imagine a peasant estate would probably have %goods produced as one of it's modifier. Though basically falun copper mine gives a constant of +5 goods produced (which is what it currently does as well) which is really good (corresponding to 25 base production or 5 manufactories) with upgrading it increasing the percentage of goods produced
(see wiki if you want to see the math https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Trade_goods#Base_goods_produced )
though also giving a small areal bonus of 0.5 goods produced (corresponding to 2.5 base production)
I was considering having higher numbers but it really comes down also to how the peasant estate would be made. I also considered adding some trade bonus to the provinces but alas, there are so many modifiers to play withchoices has to be made and I imagine it to be rather well balanced atm)

These are by far my main candidates to add for scandinavia, but there are many other possible monuments, some I will mention (though only gonna mention their possible level three modifiers)

Having a significant history as sweden's major naval base and having been designed for this explicit purpose it was a very unique city at it's times, The naval city of Karlskrona in Blekinge would be a worthy addition
Starts at level 0

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+250 sailors
-20% ship cost
+20% ship repair

Global Modifier:
+1 yearly navy tradition
+10% national sailor

problem with designing a naval monument is that usually the modifiers are quite easy to get by on their own.
Blekinge already has naval supplies as trade goods (+0.5 naval forcelimit, and get's double benefit from impressment offices (500 sailors)
Just on it's own with the right building (grand shipyard, drydock and impressment offices) it would get
+500 sailor
+100% sailors
-50% shipbuilding time
+50% ship repair
+4.5 naval force limit

So adding modifiers to that is kinda tricky as it's jsut more of what it already is and in general I'm kidna sceptical about powerful global modifiers from monuments. So really just throwing in basically the same modifiers again.

Kinda used on and off for centuries from the viking age, not that important but still the danes would try to use it as late as the second schleswig war in 1864, it is kind of interestign as a key defence point reaching into denmark/scandinavia fro mthe continent, but definitly lower priority than places mentioned already. Starts in schleswig at level 1

Noteworthy level (only throwing in this level as it's supposed to start at it)
province modifier
+1 hostile attrition
-10% hostile movement speed

Global modifier
-10% fort maintenance on border with rival

Magnificient level
province modifier
+1 hostile attrition
+20% defensivness
-20% hostile movement speed

area modifier
+0.5 hostile attrition

global modifier
-30% fort maintenence on border with rival
-0.3% army tradition decay

Kinda ok if you want to make schleswig a defensive point, combine those numbers with forts and ramparts and local edicts and for sure danevirke be pretty annoying for any invader. I added the army tradition decay because I felt it needed something to make it a bit more, and having badass army fortification stretching across a peninsula can be something cool I guess keeping the military occupied. I also toyed with some other minor modifiers

Or Soumenlinna in finnish, but since it was built by swedes and controlled by sweden until 1809 it should be called Sveaborg (or have dynamic names)
Very important naval base for both the later days of the swedish rule in finland and during russian rule In Nyland province starts at level 0

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+100% blockade force required

Area modifier:

Global Modifier:
+30% naval force limit
-10% admiral cost

Again a bit difficult to make decent modifiers, it is a castle built to defend both from sea and land, from sea makes sense for baltic domination but form land it's not in an ideal fortress position, so adding defensivness feels redundant. So mostly focused on naval bonuses, again local naval bonuses (shipbuilding time, repair) are rather small and can be covered by shipyards. So very tentative numbers (again I don't like too many powerful global modifiers for monuments)

Located on a small island in the white sea, being part of Soroka province, this island with it's fortified monastery sports quite an interesting history and would be an interesting addition to the game, though bit weird https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solovetsky_Monastery
Starts at level 1 but I'll only run through magnificent level

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+5% hostile navy attrition (fortified monastery on an island)

Area modifier:
+10% local tradepower (representing monks trading and holding land)
+1% hostile attrition (representing fortifications and anyway karelia be really high on attrition, just makes sense for the area

Global Modifier:
0.5% yearly patriarch authority (I considered making this orthodox exclusive, but by making patriarch authority one of the main modifiers it becomes rather redundant for anyone else.

Riga and Tallin were both major cities in northern europe, part of the hanseatic league. I think one of them deserves to be a monument/great work, so I desing the modifier a bit loosely for either city. Start at level 1-2 but only covering magnificent level

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+20% local trade power (maybe more relevant if tallin is choosen as riga is already a CoT)

Area modifier:
-0.2 monthly autonomy
-50% state maintainence
-50% province governing cost

Global Modifier:
+10% burgher loyalty

Designed to make the area it is placed in more lucrative to maintain, as in game the baltics are negligible, but in history was very sought after by surrounding powers. The local trade power given from the province is not enough to make it that powerful, but making it so much easier to maintain either as a state or in a trade company + bit of burgher loyalty is nice.

Edit: I come to consider Riga the most relevant city to be the monument. It's the bigger and more important city and it syncronize well with Riga being a CoT

Really just to round of the list.

Bryggen, Norway, hanseatic trade dockyard in Bergen. Would give naval and trade bonuses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryggen
Thingvellir, place of the parliament in iceland where laws where made. Would give bonuses to thigns liek republican tradition and managing the area of iceland (so yeah rather worthless)

So well, quite a few monuments suggested. I would hope that Falun and Kronoborg and 1-2 others are added.
I really think there is an ice idea with monuments, as it makes incentives to play along certain provinces as countries historically did. As now terrain, trade goods, starting dev and other modifiers makes those incentives, but monuments were quite an interesting addition to that. It's a nice idea to have natural places to develop into naval bases (karlskrona) or strongholds (danevirke) but the stiffness of the current system of monuments are kinda unbalancing it. Since monuments are so expensive, only the good ones are really worth investing in, while some of the good ones are so good due to crazy global modifers (Alahmbra especially) that it becomes th most important provicne in the world basically. I tihnk there should be more variation to monuments, more monuments focusing on local/areal effects and cheaper to upgrade would make more nice flavor for regions and role playing for example

Anyway, tagging @fredrikslicer and @Entrone for feedback

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
If we get Kronborg, i want a decision for Sweden to move it to Gotland.
I'll try to mod it in myself if i have to. Anything to reference the worst main conflict in Christmas tv history.

If we get Kronborg, i want a decision for Sweden to move it to Gotland.
I'll try to mod it in myself if i have to. Anything to reference the worst main conflict in Christmas tv history.

lol is that some julkalender I haven't seen?

I was thinking about Riga Cathderal as a monument in Riga.

I think we have enough churches, what would it get? church power, toelrance of true faith, a missionary? It's very good modifiers for a religious game, bloob game, I never done a One faith but I imagien the current meta for a 1 faith be to rush all the monuments giving missionaries and missionary strenght (heddal churhc, stonehenge and whichever your religions can use) and having the only incentive to get riga be for religiously oriented conquest is not needed, I'd rather have the baltic monument about managing the baltics.

The modifiers I propsed are not the strongest but pretty neat, (though governing cost is very obviously also geared for large scale conquest) could possible be improved a bit on (in my original sketch also included area devastation reduction)

I like it never though about great monuments in Sweden that much, Vadstena slott or Nya älvsborgs fästning would probably have been my choices but that's because I've mainly lived in Östra o Västra Götaland

I like it never though about great monuments in Sweden that much, Vadstena slott or Nya älvsborgs fästning would probably have been my choices but that's because I've mainly lived in Östra o Västra Götaland

Nya Älvsborg makes sense, but also mostly a defense structure and I don't see much point in a defensive structure at it's place, i.e. it was very important for sweden for a long time being window to the west, but game isl ess static and I feel having fortresses in älvsborg is not very relevant. If any other monument in sweden I think it should be Stockholm castle giving benefits to governing/administration

Vadstena I don't know that much about tbh, I'm from Skåne so don't have any connection to it but I never thought of it/doesn't play an importnt role in sweden in the era from what I know

I think we have enough churches, what would it get? church power, toelrance of true faith, a missionary? It's very good modifiers for a religious game, bloob game, I never done a One faith but I imagien the current meta for a 1 faith be to rush all the monuments giving missionaries and missionary strenght (heddal churhc, stonehenge and whichever your religions can use) and having the only incentive to get riga be for religiously oriented conquest is not needed, I'd rather have the baltic monument about managing the baltics.

The modifiers I propsed are not the strongest but pretty neat, (though governing cost is very obviously also geared for large scale conquest) could possible be improved a bit on (in my original sketch also included area devastation reduction)
You make some valid points. If they don't add Riga Cathedral, then they should just add the historical city itself. I still think that it should give trade bonuses though.
I'm playing tall, so I don't get more than 3-5 monuments in a game.

You make some valid points. If they don't add Riga Cathedral, then they should just add the historical city itself. I still think that it should give trade bonuses though.
I'm playing tall, so I don't get more than 3-5 monuments in a game.
yeah I gave the province +10% trade modifier, combined with riga being center of trade it'd be quite neat. the other bonuses are more usefull for wide play (governing cost), probably should change the autonomy bonus to devastation (seeing how often livonia recovered form total war)
Also not very useful bonuses if you actually have your capitol in livonia area

Reactions:
generally is that few monuments are really good for tall play, that's another issue, most give benefits to wide play. My desing of Falun is an obvious exception to that and there are alos other monuments not doing it
most monuments are either defensive, or focused on religion and wide play

Nya Älvsborg makes sense, but also mostly a defense structure and I don't see much point in a defensive structure at it's place, i.e. it was very important for sweden for a long time being window to the west, but game isl ess static and I feel having fortresses in älvsborg is not very relevant. If any other monument in sweden I think it should be Stockholm castle giving benefits to governing/administration

Vadstena I don't know that much about tbh, I'm from Skåne so don't have any connection to it but I never thought of it/doesn't play an importnt role in sweden in the era from what I know

Yeah I can see that

Vadstena slott is one of the best preserved renaissance fortifications (arguably the prime example of gustavian fortfication style as well) in sweden its also built with the stones of the old monestaries meaning it had importance during the reformation in particular since Vadstena is the home of st birgitt.

My brother said it also worked as a deterent for danes from going too far up north but got no sources for that on hand

again just what I would've thought of

yeah I gave the province +10% trade modifier, combined with riga being center of trade it'd be quite neat. the other bonuses are more usefull for wide play (governing cost), probably should change the autonomy bonus to devastation (seeing how often livonia recovered form total war)
Also not very useful bonuses if you actually have your capitol in livonia area
I also think that Lübeck's historical centre should be added as a monument, similarly like Prague and Kilwa. It should obviously give some trade bonuses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lübeck monument
I also think that Lübeck's historical centre should be added as a monument, similarly like Prague and Kilwa. It should obviously give some trade bonuses.

Yes I agree, I was thinking about adding something replacing the Lübeck Krantor modifier. Currently it gives

• +5% global trade power,
  • +10% trade efficiency,
  • -1% diplomatic technology cost.

I would also add shipbuildign time to that as it's very difficult for an OPM to maintain a navy of size. Maybe the modifiers would be something like:

Noteworthy level:
Provincial modifier:
+10% trade efficiency

Global Modifier::
+5% global trade power
-1% diplomatic technology cost

Significant Level:
Provincial modifier:
+15% trade power modifier
-20% ship building time
-20% ship building cost

Global Modifier:
+5% global trade power
-2% diplomatic technology cost

Magnificient level
Provincial modifier:
+20% trade power modifier
-30% ship building time
-30% ship building cost

Global Modifier:
+10% global trade power
-5% diplomatic technology cost

Reactions:
Anyway, tagging @fredrikslicer and @Entrone for feedback

Sorry, I'm not that active lately, since the devs stated they don't want more provinces. I guess you agree there are places which should have been done before such a closure.

But anyways, I just saw this thread, and I kinda like the Kronoborg idea.
The Sound Due thingy is nice in Eu4, but as you pointed out above, it's far from it's historical impact. Turning it into a monument with Kronoberg would be a nice way to improve it's effectiveness and add flavour at the same time. The speciality of the place combined with a nice castle can make up for a monument.

The mine is a different story, I think it's not really something to be represented as a monument, but perfect as a province modifier. I love these unique modifiers.
The rest are not really monument level works in my opinion, as I rather feel like the importance of monuments inflate if we add too much. 1-2 maybe 3 monuments should be fine for a region in Europe, in case of Scandinavia I think 2 should be just enough, as even though it's big it wasn't that populated and advanced in the high middle ages.
Besides, monuments should be things that literally everyone recognize at first glance, at least regionally. Like the Angkor Wat, Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, Hagia Sophia, Brandenburg Gate, Kremlin. In this regard the Heddal Stave Church was really the best pick in my opinion for Scandinavia, while Kronoberg may pass for it's importance back then.

I was thinking about Riga Cathderal as a monument in Riga.

Now Riga Cathedral is a different story, I totally support that. It's special because it was one of the tallest buildings in Europe in it's time. The regions lacks a monument anyways, and a religious effect is not unreasonable with the Orders around.

But no more "historic centres" please. In case of Prague I'd change it to the Charles Bridge aswell.

Summarily, I think it's not monuments that Scandinavia lacks, but provinces and details, sadly. Kronoberg could be added as one, but your other ideas should rather be implemented as Missions and possibly with province modifiers. As I can remember Scandinavian mission trees are pretty boring, so in a possible look at the region, these ideas could be included, like "Improve the Southern Defenses" for Danevirke, or "Improve our Naval Capacities" for Karlskrona.

Thanks for your attention, keep up the good work :)

lol is that some julkalender I haven't seen?
"Jul på Kronborg", an 00's Danish julekalender about a family that has to spend December living in Kronborg for some reason i can't remember. The villain is some Swedish man that wants to move Kronborg to Gotland for some reason, and this is terrible because nisse reasons. He spends most of the series using one of those land measuring lasers to measure the castle.

Well there's no concrete policy of what is the basis for something being a monument and what would not. So it's very much up to people to have their own opinions.

Besides, monuments should be things that literally everyone recognize at first glance, at least regionally. Like the Angkor Wat, Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, Hagia Sophia, Brandenburg Gate, Kremlin. In this regard the Heddal Stave Church was really the best pick in my opinion for Scandinavia, while Kronoberg may pass for it's importance back then.

I disagree that monuments have to be easily recognizeable, besides there are tons of monuments that are not well recognized outside the region or culture they are form. Some examples from me (a swede) is that I didn't know about Alhambra, Ambras, belem tower any many others across the world.

I even think they overdid the "famous places" ideas adding places because they are historicaly famous but of little relevance to to actual history at the time, such as pyramids, stonehenge and buddha statues (which is also weirdly moveable).

The mine is a different story, I think it's not really something to be represented as a monument, but perfect as a province modifier. I love these unique modifiers.
The rest are not really monument level works in my opinion,
I really think that mine is underrated, it is a masterpience of mining technology and industry, not just a hole in the ground, the effort to build and over the centuries maintain the mine are far larger than the construction of most the monuments on this list. It was the economic backbone of the swedihs mepire, the bonuses are very concrete and tied to what the mine did and not some abstract stuff like Brandenburger Tor or Taj Mahal. Even the mechanic of upgrading monuments for once makes sense for a mine (at least half of the monuments should not be upgradable really).
I also think we have precedence to include monuments that are not buildings (if I'm not mistaken I think this is the root to the disagreement) but we have Cerro Rico del Potosi, which could be interpreted as the city of Potosi, but is really the mine. Also the dutch polders are something that is very comparable as not a building but a large industrial project

e, in case of Scandinavia I think 2 should be just enough, as even though it's big it wasn't that populated and advanced in the high middle ages.
as they say, it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean that matters, so very true. Sweden the major power of northern europe in 17th century does not have it's own monument, nor does denmark. We have angor wat which is the ruined capital of a collapsed civilization which would never recover truly but not monuments for two highely competitive monarchies with important history.
Hungary which spent most the the timeline being a battlefield between turks and austrians has two monuments. I definitly think each of the scandinavian monarchies should have one monument.
The monuments I'd prioritize would be kronoborg and falu copper mines, but I added the others as options, and also suggested one possible for finland.

Now Riga Cathedral is a different story, I totally support that. It's special because it was one of the tallest buildings in Europe in it's time. The regions lacks a monument anyways, and a religious effect is not unreasonable with the Orders around.
Well the baltic regions does have Marienburg castle. But I'm just really sceptical about more churches being monuments, as there are plenty of. It was probably a necessity to add more ways of getting missionaries as the map kept growing, but I think it's enough now and even if it wasn't wouldn't be my priority for a north baltic monument as Riga was mroe important as the major trading city of the region and was even ruled as an indepdent hanseatic city and not part of the territory ruled by the riga archbishop

"Jul på Kronborg", an 00's Danish julekalender about a family that has to spend December living in Kronborg for some reason i can't remember. The villain is some Swedish man that wants to move Kronborg to Gotland for some reason, and this is terrible because nisse reasons. He spends most of the series using one of those land measuring lasers to measure the castle.

hoho, never seen a danish christmas calender, maybe it could be referenced in a mission for gotland

To be honest, Finland has no places qualified for monuments.

In Eu4 terms, Sveaborg (Finnish: Viapori, Suomenlinna after independence) was a fortress combined with a naval battery, and is pretty much known for surrendering at 1% siege chance.
It has mostly symbolic value, as the circumstances that led to it's construction and the history associated with the fortress itself are mainly manifestations of the decline of Swedish power in eastern Baltic.

So I suggest that Sveaborg Tier 3 gives:
Global:
+100% Sailors (must swim to get there -> instant sailor qualification)
Province:
+999% Defensiveness (Impregnable, never taken by force, only cash bribes babe)
+5 Hostile attrition (very cold wind during winter, many cannons, looks angry, source: me)

To be honest, Finland has no places qualified for monuments.

In Eu4 terms, Sveaborg (Finnish: Viapori, Suomenlinna after independence) was a fortress combined with a naval battery, and is pretty much known for surrendering at 1% siege chance.
It has mostly symbolic value, as the circumstances that led to it's construction and the history associated with the fortress itself are mainly manifestations of the decline of Swedish power in eastern Baltic.

So I suggest that Sveaborg Tier 3 gives:
Global:
+100% Sailors (must swim to get there -> instant sailor qualification)
Province:
+999% Defensiveness (Impregnable, never taken by force, only cash bribes babe)
+5 Hostile attrition (very cold wind during winter, many cannons, looks angry, source: me)

I agree, I brought up Sveaborg in the case of any monuments in Finland. I don't want all monuments on my post to be added, all of the are I think valid as monuments, based on the current standard, though with some being on the border of being relevant enough (Sveaborg, Danevirke).

I also agree with the general idea that not all of the monuments I discuss should be added, I think personally Kronoborg and Falu copper mine (in scandinavia region) would be just fine, but I put other options in the thread for why not.

Also Riga is definitly worth adding, and in general I think germany should have one more monument in the north, either Lübeck or Herrenhauser palace in hannover (of what I can think of) or actually danevirke would technically count as northern germany as well :p

Summarily, I think it's not monuments that Scandinavia lacks, but provinces and details, sadly. Kronoberg could be added as one, but your other ideas should rather be implemented as Missions and possibly with province modifiers.

I think this is actually what is the problem with monuments, they're too monolithic, same cost and build time for monuments which are so diverse in actuall power, alhambra vs parthenon xd

I think provinces should in EUV be a lot more flexible units, things like center of trade, province modifier, monuments are all too isolated form each other, too strict systems

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well there's no concrete policy of what is the basis for something being a monument and what would not. So it's very much up to people to have their own opinions.

I disagree that monuments have to be easily recognizeable, besides there are tons of monuments that are not well recognized outside the region or culture they are form. Some examples from me (a swede) is that I didn't know about Alhambra, Ambras, belem tower any many others across the world.

In this case I think the word monument is talking about the nature what these should be: great, easily recognizeable, with symbolic or spiritual usage. I feel like you interpreted it as "national monument", as in many strategy games like the Civilization series or Age of Empires. While indeed there's no concrete policy, I think in this particular case we should be very strict. If there are too many monuments, they just lose their meaning.
Or at least this is what I think, and then they add random stuff like Cahokia, and there are too much of them. AND WHY UPGRADEABLE? Still makes no sense. 90% of the monuments are not upgradeable in reality.
Long story short it's another example typical to pdx in the past couple years, that they add "shinies" of little to no real content, and then get tangled in it, like the pirates. Our Spain update was hijacked by pirates.

I even think they overdid the "famous places" ideas adding places because they are historicaly famous but of little relevance to to actual history at the time, such as pyramids, stonehenge and buddha statues (which is also weirdly moveable).
I really think that mine is underrated, it is a masterpience of mining technology and industry, not just a hole in the ground, the effort to build and over the centuries maintain the mine are far larger than the construction of most the monuments on this list. It was the economic backbone of the swedihs mepire, the bonuses are very concrete and tied to what the mine did and not some abstract stuff like Brandenburger Tor or Taj Mahal. Even the mechanic of upgrading monuments for once makes sense for a mine (at least half of the monuments should not be upgradable really).
I also think we have precedence to include monuments that are not buildings (if I'm not mistaken I think this is the root to the disagreement) but we have Cerro Rico del Potosi, which could be interpreted as the city of Potosi, but is really the mine. Also the dutch polders are something that is very comparable as not a building but a large industrial project

I think these "famous places" are exactly what should make the core of the monument list. These are nothing else but monuments. Not mines, fortresses, castles or temples. Just monuments, often not good for anything exept being monumental.
I agree the mine is important and should be represented, yet I feel like it's a bit odd as a monument. As I said before I'd wholeheartedly support some improvements to Sweden and the mine itself, given it's great importance, but as in the cases of other previously mentioned ideas, I don't think it's the monument mechanic that should be used in these cases. Neither in the case of Polders, but whatever. A monument can only be a monument, but a mine could rather be something of economical importance, like a big production bonus modifier, a fortress of military importance, like a free lvl.6 fort; as in the cases of Falun and Sveaborg for example.

Well the baltic regions does have Marienburg castle. But I'm just really sceptical about more churches being monuments, as there are plenty of. It was probably a necessity to add more ways of getting missionaries as the map kept growing, but I think it's enough now and even if it wasn't wouldn't be my priority for a north baltic monument as Riga was mroe important as the major trading city of the region and was even ruled as an indepdent hanseatic city and not part of the territory ruled by the riga archbishop
It's true there are already many temples, and the Riga one may not be the most outstanding, but I can accept it on the list, feels like filling a hole, yet I'm not sticking to it, since I find it of similar relevance/importance to Marienburg Castle. I've seen both myself, both truly great, but not top priorities as monuments.

as they say, it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean that matters, so very true. Sweden the major power of northern europe in 17th century does not have it's own monument, nor does denmark. We have angor wat which is the ruined capital of a collapsed civilization which would never recover truly but not monuments for two highely competitive monarchies with important history.
Hungary which spent most the the timeline being a battlefield between turks and austrians has two monuments. I definitly think each of the scandinavian monarchies should have one monument.
The monuments I'd prioritize would be kronoborg and falu copper mines, but I added the others as options, and also suggested one possible for finland.

I don't think monuments should be distributed by that logic, as I said it's not a national monument thingy.
The hungarian monuments are nice example. Eu4 devs basically looked at the great projects map, and where there was a big empty region they added a few monuments, two in case of Hungary. Noone can truly know if Buda Castle was that miraculous or not. It is said so, and I don't mind it, but I wouldn't be offended if Hungary didn't have a monument, even though in 1444 Hungary was more powerful, wealthy and popolous than the scandinavian countries combined.
The Bran Castle is different, it's "just" a castle. In France, Spain or Wales you can find a similar castle in every third village. So I think it's one of the unworthy monuments which flooded the game already and inflates their importance.

As I mentioned there are already too much monuments. A solution to that would be, if there were different types of them. Like Great Projects are not just monuments and canals, but splitting monuments into different categories, let's say: Religious (temples), Secular (castles), Military (forts) Monuments. Or optionally I can imagine a unique category for "abstract" Ancient stuff like the Stonehedge. This would make space for structures that may not pass as a Monument of the World, but could make it as Great Project of Military Significance. Like Bran Castle, Marienburg Castle, Malta Forts, or Kronberg.

Last edited: