• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Talk about synchronicity! I made a new version yesterday, but am experiencing an increased amount of CTDs. I don't think it's down to this mod as it's incredibly simple, but want to playtest it a bit more. I used BP+SWMH+VIET events & traits plus LA. The game CTDs every few hours at random, but my last crash is reoccurring on a regular basis. Anybody know what's going on?
patch 1.092 happened.
:laugh:
if I may ask, what stuff are you adding in the new version? just a tweak and update of your previous triggered modifiers concerning levy laws? more triggered modifiers? or these:
- Add siege events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the length of sieges.
- Add battle events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the success of battles.
- Modify some events to be influenced by martial skill.
?

in any case, I'm looking forward to your update (if just to steal borrow some ideas - with your permission? :D )

New version is here:

-made compatible with the 1.92 patch and the DLCs
-further tweaked the triggers and effects of the modifier

I have left out the versions for the TPTT mod as it's already included there, and the CK+ one as the future of the mod is uncertain. I have tested it extensively with PB + SWMH + VIET and it works as intended.

Download in the first post.

patch 1.092 happened.
:laugh:
if I may ask, what stuff are you adding in the new version? just a tweak and update of your previous triggered modifiers concerning levy laws? more triggered modifiers? or these:
- Add siege events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the length of sieges.
- Add battle events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the success of battles.
- Modify some events to be influenced by martial skill.
?

in any case, I'm looking forward to your update (if just to steal borrow some ideas - with your permission? :D )

I'm not certain I'll be adding any new features after all. I don't want to make martial too powerful, and the introductions of leader traits adds some more importance.

I'm not certain I'll be adding any new features after all. I don't want to make martial too powerful, and the introductions of leader traits adds some more importance.
well, I was just simply quoting your OP's Future Plans list, so I'm simply curious if you still plan to make them (therefore I can "borrow" them :laugh: )

incidentally, a small suggestion that comes to mind if you're interested is making martial also affect land morale (either the static value and/or its recovery/organization). you know, the same way fighting under King Richard the Lionheart will inspire men to greater heights, while fighting under Lord Farquad will make them less likely to hold their ground :laugh:

well, I was just simply quoting your OP's Future Plans list, so I'm simply curious if you still plan to make them (therefore I can "borrow" them :laugh: )

incidentally, a small suggestion that comes to mind if you're interested is making martial also affect land morale (either the static value and/or its recovery/organization). you know, the same way fighting under King Richard the Lionheart will inspire men to greater heights, while fighting under Lord Farquad will make them less likely to hold their ground :laugh:

I believe this is modeled by the importance of the martial skill while leading armies. If your army is led by someone like Lionhart, you will fight better, but I don't think the martial of the ruler should influence the morale of common soldiers in the field.

I believe this is modeled by the importance of the martial skill while leading armies. If your army is led by someone like Lionhart, you will fight better, but I don't think the martial of the ruler should influence the morale of common soldiers in the field.
well, that much is true :D
though IIRC the defines settings indicate that martial only directly affects the "damage efficiency" of soldiers, so to speak (specifically command_modifier_martial and leader_martial_damage_bonus)
still, it's your mod, and I've never been been one with a good grasp of "balance" :rofl:

What's the difference between the "BP" version and the regular one?

... "Balansegang Petroleum" and regular gas ? :laugh:

What's the difference between the "BP" version and the regular one?

PB one uses your defines.lua as a base, and the regular one uses the vanilla version of the same file. I made only small changes in that file, mind you, and might even forgo them so that I don't have to update every time a new version of PB comes out.

Oh and wouldn't it make more sense to use levy_size modifiers rather than max_levy and min_levy modifiers? As those disproportionately affect realms with low obligations.
Using levy_size modifiers instead would make local rulers matter more, as their incompetence would transfer up the chain.
Combining that with land_morale would probably work better than messing around with min and max levy.

Edit: Seems levy_size doesn't work on the character level. Now that's just silly.
Still, I think it'd be a decent idea to at least reduce the modifications to max and min levies in favor of land_morale and land_organisation. Min levies should probably be phased out entirely as it doesn't really make much sense that high martial lets you force vassals that hate you to provide levies.

Last edited:
Oh and wouldn't it make more sense to use levy_size modifiers rather than max_levy and min_levy modifiers? As those disproportionately affect realms with low obligations.
Using levy_size modifiers instead would make local rulers matter more, as their incompetence would transfer up the chain.
Combining that with land_morale would probably work better than messing around with min and max levy.

Edit: Seems levy_size doesn't work on the character level. Now that's just silly.
Still, I think it'd be a decent idea to at least reduce the modifications to max and min levies in favor of land_morale and land_organisation. Min levies should probably be phased out entirely as it doesn't really make much sense that high martial lets you force vassals that hate you to provide levies.

Thank you, those are some good suggestions. I was not even aware of the modifier you speak of. Will look into it for future releases.

After reading the previous post about the defines.lua, I got lupus agnum to work with the current version of PB by deleting the defines file in the LA-PB common folder. Then as an optional step copy over the missing entries of the triggered modifiers file from project balance into the lupus agnum one. Love this mod and hate having to play without it, makes my warrior kings feel much more useful.

After reading the previous post about the defines.lua, I got lupus agnum to work with the current version of PB by deleting the defines file in the LA-PB common folder. Then as an optional step copy over the missing entries of the triggered modifiers file from project balance into the lupus agnum one. Love this mod and hate having to play without it, makes my warrior kings feel much more useful.

Thank you for the input. Yes, without the defines the mod (modifier for martial skill) works fine. I will release a new version without the defines modified that should pretty much be compatible with every PB version in the future (unless Meneth changes the triggered_modifiers file, which is unlikely as he barely uses it).

Thank you for the input. Yes, without the defines the mod (modifier for martial skill) works fine. I will release a new version without the defines modified that should pretty much be compatible with every PB version in the future (unless Meneth changes the triggered_modifiers file, which is unlikely as he barely uses it).
Well, I do actually change the triggered modifiers from time to time; I use it more now than I once used to.

Taking this off the list of mods compatible with Project Balance as it has not been updated for recent patches.
If you release a new compatible version it'll be added back to the list.

~ Meneth
Well, I suppose this applies again :/