• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Salvete, Invictus team!

I hope you are well, I come to talk to you, because I just thought of an idea that I just had. I don't know if it is feasible, but it costs nothing to share it. One of the biggest criticisms of Imperator Rome is the fact that when you become a big empire the game becomes too easy. It is very rare, if not impossible, that a war can cause profound damage to your civilization.

Here's an idea I had to solve this: when you go to war for a long time you might get an event talking about the effects of war: famine caused by resources being sent to the front, angry peasants wanting to overthrow the government, diseases that drastically decrease the population. Since the times of Homer, we know that war attracts all misfortunes...

Each of its events brings modifiers that can last for several months, so the longer you stay at war, the greater the chance of a great calamity occurring. And the bigger your empire is, the greater the chances of receiving these events. However, I can understand that many players won't appreciate having multiple negative modifiers imposed on them. To avoid this each of these events can be avoided with choices whose success will depend on the skills of the leaders of your civilization.

For example: Suppose that after several months of war, part of the Roman population decides to rebel against their overlords (as in the conjuration of Catiline), if the player decides that the consul will try to talk with the leaders of the conspiracy, success will depend on his charisma, if he tries to "buy" them success will depend on finesse, ETC.

I think that way the characters will become a bit more "lively" another fairly common criticism of Imperator Rome. I hope you are having a good week and thank you for your work.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you for your feedback. I can't promise that we will change the province setup for the next update, but maybe it would be good to combine it with the general update for Britannia.

To complete the mission to subjugate the Caledonii, you have to get rid of the barbarian spawn points in the highland, too. So it's not a direct confrontation, but still you have to deal with those.
Thanks for your consideration!
You could have a Vallum Antonini mission, and maybe a Glenblocker one as well - just as little nodal points, because that would be cool. Again - just little ideas.
As to the provincial changes - I appreciate that. It's a small tweak, but it would be really nice (and not rag the game/province balance, especially if you put the sheep resource in the new area suggested so the area north of the Antonine Wall doesn't lose out on the food front, and switch that area that formerly had sheep (the port area roughly analogous to Edinburgh) to something else (like leather or timber, for example). I just like the idea of being able to recreate the Antonine Wall is all. :)

Reactions:
DD42: Military traditions, QOL changes and maintenance
Dev Diary 42: Military traditions, QOL changes and maintenance

Salvete! Today we’ll be talking about some QOL changes with the map, an update on the Spanish translation, code maintenance, a new military traditions system and 3 new military tradition sets.

But first a little rant from mostly me, almost all of the bugs reported to us are not caused by Invictus, on the steam workshop we have a list of mods compatible with Invictus but please know they will 100% not work all together. If you have a problem, please first test it without the submods since it is almost always one of the submods causing the problem. Do not use more than 1 major submod, meaning you can use HIP or the Timeline extender but not both, in almost all configurations/combinations of submods Better UI should work as long as Invictus is loaded after. That was my rant, please save me time debugging and be sensical when using mods, now onto Juanen and some QOL changes.

Hello everyone. Today I’m here not just to speak about the Spanish translation, but also about some QOL changes for the maps of the game, and some work behind the scenes I’ve been trying to do. Most of these are small changes I’ve made (as I’m not a coder and don’t want to break the game more). But I hope you’ll appreciate them.

First of all, I’ve changed the colour of the Cybelene religion. So now when you migrate with your celts to Anatolia, and create your big chad Galatian empire, you’ll recognize easily where your subjects follow the “right religion”, and where you should “teach” your ignorant subjects which gods are the real ones.
h_d8zGLOEdbNDep8gnP-IuLFY6yXSV_hE8DqVU2HbEsgISn7FkUpD1s-l9rxd0TPSxuMoRaL_EyiS4i-HpyL1qIqtKa9WthYBo7oaHuM33Po3woAGgHe-nafHbav1SBYIlDQkRen

VSGwXBvP8HCGRwoxLod1wn1S-tFrUpmAjVEVGrQnU_HKQgfz49zyK0nnp81g8Z03QDvsjWq9Pby8ysGWoe9fhvlgNPCCEPB9uB0Z1qSprwGWD3zxWUxEN7IGtycXFRhYTm8Z0BA0

Continuing with my crusade against wrong colours being used in-game, my next logical candidate was the Region Mapmode. We discovered that the game didn’t have colours assigned for the regions, but it was programmed to give random colours to the regions if not specified. This code was making the map really purple, and not in a good way, as we can see below. (Why purple PDX, why…).
pdukj8Nr6A1P_mCji8hO5rsskeeGsBcWRpMo_KSZqEi9g8PX-3P5_5whLyRKiruHeIUJrCJ6GI22tH82twSq6D2B2ousaRN1d9Ggh-FYoYcABV8slaaWh9JMBOCfYN8CckrpVOk8

Now the Region Mapmode has been recolored. We have given Rome a really sexy and roman red, and every region is distinguishable from its neighbours.

DcLsJibAMx9Pqc-9gdtc6DxWFEhlaznL9VjYgSZ7JsZ52K_ssv-O35EsoBXC0y0N0UE1jGOOUWhgq9aPrhBc0x4HQmrYFTx3CLnE9KRzbY4JYCWEku8W03e-d0Vwkc56lqYaICj-

Now, to the “work behind the scenes”.

One (really important) part of developing and maintaining a mod (or a game), is keeping your files clean and organised. Just imagine trying to make some sense of the code of the game/mod, when you have lots of people from different backgrounds coding at different times, with their own style of organisation and their own kind of content being produced.

This part is even more important form modders, as we do this just for “fun” (Snowlet didn’t force me to say this, I’m a freeman and not a slave of the state, I promise). People join and leave our team much more often than if this was a company, and if the guy who created that really cool mission but totally broken just disappears, good luck trying to understand how/why nothing that you try fixes it. It also helps us to have a bigger picture of what we’ve done until now, and which parts of the game we haven’t touched much yet.

Note from Snowlet: fixing things other people made is painful and often takes a very long time, look at Cyrenaica for example which forced us to cut 3 out of 4 paths.

This work adds “nothing” to the game, but makes working on the mod a bit easier. It can also break lots of stuff, which I’m sorry if I did. This is not a finished work, as there are many parts of the mod that need some cleaning and organising, but it’s just a beginning. And, just as every loc needs to be translated, every file needs to be properly organised (and eventually it will be).

Another note from Snowlet: a lot of work has gone into cleaning the code, while some have focused on organising the spread-out Localization files, I have focused on cleaning old code often incorrectly using file names or code unadapted to new formats causing tons of legacy bugs. A lot of these will be fixed by next update, most notably the Mithridatic events will work correctly again.

Before I speak about the progress we’ve made on the Spanish translation, I wanted to comment with you all that if you have any suggestions regarding the colour changes made on the map, or you have found any map not distinct enough, feel free to comment as I’ll be checking the forum for feedback.

Regarding the Spanish translation, not much can be said. I’ve had some progress with the localization of some of the new missions added to the mod, and so I’ve finished the missions for Kalinga, Lanka, North Africa (Fezzan), Greek Pontus, and the new missions for the German Tribes. So now only some are left to be done (Rhodes, Kush, Cyrene, Scythia, and Maurya), which not casually are some of the biggest and with more localization content of the mod, but that I’ll beat and translate as soon as I can. Cyrene and Scythia are particularly huge, so I’ve started working first with Rhodes ^.^

In this part of the dev diary, I (Olivenkranz) will give you a rough overview over the 3 new military traditions that I ported from the Huge Multiplayer Overhaul mod and Snowlet who helped with a lot of the bugs. I have slightly adapted some modifiers, they are not 1:1 the same military traditions.

Before I let Olivenkranz continue, I (Snowlet) will quickly explain a change to how military traditions will be unlocked, this painful script originally written by Dustin (from HMO/Molon Labe) has now been rewritten for the second time by me. Now what has changed and how does the system work?
In order to integrate and unlock a new set of military traditions, you need to integrate enough cultures of the relevant groups so the pops are more than 25% than the amount of primary culture pops you have (min: 50 max: 350, and before you ask, yes you can integrate multiple smaller cultures to get the needed amount). At this point, you can enact a cultural decision in the culture screen to embrace their ways of war giving you some debuffs but you unlock the military tradition tree.

Now here is where the new version will differ from the old, it used to be that you needed to maintain the 25% pops forever to take new traditions of the unlocked group, now while this is a good system, it breaks completely due to internal code reasons when integrating more than one group. So now the new: after taking the cultural decision you can take the mil trads freely, but when you unintegrate one of the needed cultures, the game will check whether you still have enough % pops, if you don’t you can no longer take new military traditions.

Basically this means you only need the required pops for enacting the decision but you cannot unintegrate the cultures, this seems fair enough as the influence would remain even after forming an empire. Now back to Olivenkranz:

The first military traditions (always a pair of two trees) is

A Germanic and Balto-Slavic tree

This pair will boost your archers, spearmen, light cavalry and navy. Sprinkled in are some other buffs, such as a possible migration cost reduction, if you are a tribe. Here is a picture with one of the paths.

3WOtI6qk8zVEYu7RrjmcMNlkWwnmJImmhdE9C8TQuoAoL5hGgeKSpNUdonusQThpa-oIsgsbcOKBZ3YyDUuNy0qh0Xu-BDe4kYm-fkW8pkD0B7cZgniRtOgCaKd7UrzzMRcU5DVB

The second military tree is for the Anatolian culture groups.

This one focuses a lot on the use of cavalry. Interestingly enough, ancient Armenian cavalry was famed during the game’s era. The second branch features a lot of boats. After all, the Cilician pirates were an infamous threat during the time period. Hereafter will be a screenshot of one of the branches with one path shown.
bQvP8cMzcz9bh9MP7cPHx7GpdVG_glY4N0Gp5DEvM9DwyEcCtPiTxhbyirDpyMZIZyHJtX5J9ixzoEOLD9L6eaY3EialCk9wFSWJCemoip4fVFF7xWY0E62W1Te_NDkBTDbz2rNT

The last military traditions are a Steppe and Bactrian branch. As you might expect, these feature a lot of horses, light, heavy and even the humped variation. The Bactrian branch also features these units, but also boosts archers and light infantry in a more distributed manner. Once more, a picture.
XtP0tLWkfIxL7WRSA-71GYyxph-AhMcGkhx5jKVEDtN280mQMyT3OJzg7ThH0Rsqg8S6ReRIYiQqF_3M-yWd6o1Nu34DztVh3fgOodFQx8tPO4swmqN5SfoNTqtkNXs9kGKxi_PD

A huge thanks to the HMO modders for allowing us to use their content.

As always, do remember that numbers and localisation are not final and may change. If you have any suggestions leave them on the forums or better yet on our discord.

• 25Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
now while this is a good system

A minor personal disagree here but luckily it's easy to edit myself.

But new traditions look great. Does Bactria start with the new tradition tree? If so, does it replace one of their current ones, presumably the Persian one?

A minor personal disagree here but luckily it's easy to edit myself.

But new traditions look great. Does Bactria start with the new tradition tree? If so, does it replace one of their current ones, presumably the Persian one?
They should

Reactions:
meaning you can use HIP or the Timeline extender but not both
I've checked the files and I don't think there should be any conflict between those three mods.

The biggest issues for the timeline extender that I've seen so far are the map additions/alterations causing some pockets of wrong-region confusion for some events or the decision that splits the Roman Empire into West and East (Theodosius division), and needing to update when those map changes are made.

As a suggestion to avoid frustration if someone reports a bug and their game date is after 753 AUC / 1 BCE, you could say that you don't provide support for an extended timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I am interested in trying this mod, but I keep getting a CTD on the loading screen right after the Imperator: Invictus logo when I first start from the launcher.

I am running the GOG version of the game, have all three DLC, and have subscribed to the mod through Paradox subscriptions. This is the only mod I have installed. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mod. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game (and deleting all files). Nothing has worked. I still get the CTD every time.

Any advice? Would it be useful for my to post anything from the /logs/ folder?

I am interested in trying this mod, but I keep getting a CTD on the loading screen right after the Imperator: Invictus logo when I first start from the launcher.

I am running the GOG version of the game, have all three DLC, and have subscribed to the mod through Paradox subscriptions. This is the only mod I have installed. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mod. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game (and deleting all files). Nothing has worked. I still get the CTD every time.

I advise you to just use the github version of the mod which can be found in the FAQ on our discord. Discord link can be found on the workshop page or on the first post here.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Jus as Snowlet said, if you can, get the mod from our github. You can also get the "dev" version of the mod, which has a bit more of content (it's like a beta of the mod)

• 1Like
Reactions:
DD43: Disasters
Dev Diary 43: Disasters

Salvete!
Today will be a lighter Dev Diary, same with the next few weeks (which might not get a DD at all or atleast with lower frequency) as we’re currently still in the early process of developing the next update. The DD we have for you today will talk about the upcoming implementation of 9 new disasters vastly expanding the vanilla system, a bunch more heritages but first we’d like to give you a map of which areas in the world now actually have content as presented by Juanen.

The map you can see below shows all the unique mission trees that we have currently in the game, combining the ones from vanilla and the ones we’ve added so far. As you can see, even if we’ve worked hard to give flavour to the game, there are many regions left to work on. My plan is to make a second map with the generic missions too, so as to make it easier to decide where to start a new game for new players.

v8nPyWFTCN0blJ6ivg7zD4He3ST-81txlQiQFMnitj-_dqhK4JnuwP7MAl_nR8tdC7qOIRZqbiJ6IG44KjeyUEsdbYzzTI4LCtcf_Z8JA7L3uN4IYdEDA4ZIR1jq3bqjpDN7xuS3

Now onto the disasters as presented by Olivenkranz. Mother Nature has always been a callous observer when it comes to the plight of mortal men, and now, Invictus has added and improved upon the existing historically-appropriate disasters found in game, in order to properly represent the vicissitudes of fate that your poor pops must contend with. Certain disasters are universal - no country is safe from the threat of a fire in their cities, for example - whereas others are tied into geographic locations and/or terrain types. The northern barbarian tribes might breathe a sigh of relief, knowing they are safe from the scourge of locusts that wreak havoc in the far south, but there are growing signs that this winter will be the harshest in memory…

I have created 8 new disasters and jphiloponus had created a fire disaster a while back, which is also being implemented. Vanilla also has three disasters (light and strong earthquakes, as well as a volcano eruption), but they are pretty rare. We also increased the likelihood of a disaster happening (specifically, the vanilla ones have the same chance, we found a block here), so you should experience one or two in most runs. Here now the list and chance of the new disasters;

2Ka7gwrIgHQLHCH7QqgoX_xBLPTUjq0OVGro5DSbbucAWIw4DsZlHflrbMBTDJWDCrQTpJNze0JNaOChzM2h_r4zr7rbf4E1RzZOpk-tv8fm9U0Yci1HmCQNWgWZzJ4S40t4PAWc

As you can see, they are quite varied. Not all have the same impact, because some can propagate more than others or have different impacts. The storms, for example, make the passage of any army much more costly in lives, but have little immediate impact on the various territories ravaged in their wake. The floods, however, can cause much more damage on the territories affected; only the cruellest of rulers will ignore the heart-wrenching requests from your devastated people that will pop up in flavour events.
LBfaQIKQK3F9Mp7T0tulHhvsMeIe-cE2Z6l8uekKwsHt4pJgjsroy64Aa1ha7i8KtJUBCBYmjOaBSDTQWr_E4Dt60_nLgh1P5nLeWqnCO7iPdnzKxMgdsR1NoRiAQ-D0NqGWGf9a

Many of the disasters cause high, short-term damage and others can be deadly over a longer period of time. For some disasters, such as the one above, the choices the player makes has an important impact on what happens next, but there are other disasters where the player cannot do anything. As if the sky had fallen on its head…

Hello, OmegaCorps here returning after a good break from them with some more…. You guessed it, HERITAGES!

In order to keep the DD’s short enough, we’ll be revealing a few at a time until the next major release, so I now welcome you to the land we now refer to as Central Asia:
Gedrosia:
Y4QeR2oV6oYTD8B6oiyS4keBBl-P-9MlRhSH084GCYAP4t85dgJJH5vzFlmF2v2hxEA6oxbCbXsnwQiYyc6LrwDNaJ-enRQaYLXL-sxuYbRsPEIlUtrCzq52rFTRqujEpRW_SRej

(Note, it’s an older picture, we fixed the spelling mistake and Monthly food modifier will be changed to only -10%)

Arachosia:
why0ojdOENic4qTX8vYKgUVzU5f5b7pFXEjOnM7Wv7fyRHOlzj4iMO_OM-nSUiH43Fl4v8thVJi36f8RL84kTighsgsZDR8BXWfsI39zIzNR79MmeC6P6K1OUGfMxxzelPWG9PbT

Parthia (beginning Satrapy, not the formable):
3SzjttMbUFGl9oY75MEMwDK6G2x2jR6wNubNf1j8QLAs28Crx7sHYvWH2iOREwWQ_X5Uv8F6BVCnPHBSfS36rvTYIeIWQaTM6H4NtSicXCsxmp5kc0u2XamfF4iOPgGW4jD7dyrU

Parnia:
jYV1zad6ctu4B3zweGxwsHI1iUdrCI-yOvdQvpJTQT3PvkGY7tj0QbndCVBsfadPEDt2iPdcQ7xbBMp13LUZgJsDENiFqeO6HxolSch3mw17BgRR-lcpOHkE7sWfTaKLQIT3GwG4

Pissuria:
EGcuXXKLe7FZfo_p8w6KzYwE4q2JRw0ZT44ZhVEoz8NRPoBFDpw5_KteGuWu53ZAWaF5xmpG2kI8avTeNUVJxqUau06q56yfba91cvHgN36bPex_myUzY-agM4UN90kmQ3I0CVIq

Zanthia:
F5zGUUSD3Fx1N61SSmws9WMna1GVv7_vJxjsID6QdptSeOCcojsgOvLU2Hdi9E-Gzwu57A6Czar2ho52Jd1w4w4PBgE_flA7Fp0lOILUNuNHe1LhA27W1XUUn6P0xo1eFQRgeiUr

Tigraxaudia:

0sV64GkwKeky3w__INtaoDZxJsEPw_Zc8bfQlKH-AW_Q8pctGtf71UW4n88A3dBR7_EPP-tC8Kz1dYKejan8_fhwy3yYuGFc2YveE6DyRGiDmPTurI37fNgY0l4jcJZO9Sa9977G

(Note: the noble desired ratio will be changed to 4-6%)

• 22Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
This looks really cool!
Speaking of disasters, are there any plans for an organic decay of empires? Something like what the Maurya have but generic

Would be cool to have plagues as well spreading between pop-rich territories and killing pops there, though I don't know how much data there's on ancient plagues like the Athenian plague. Plagues could e.g. spread between neighbouring territories or between provinces that trade with each other

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I've played the hell out of Invictus and absolutely love it. Have a ton of gratitude for everyone on the team that is keeping this game alive.

and I do have a few ideas/suggestions for manpower, very interested to hear if there are any strong opinions on this or future plans for Invictus in this arena.

-significantly reduce total manpower available--more so for large empires than small-medium sized powers, to simulate the logistical challenges of transporting reserves from far reaches of your empire to a front. Manpower becomes more or less irrelevant towards end game when it becomes rare to dip below 100k and have a maximum of 500k+... this diminishes the importance of any singular battle and kills immersion, at least for me

-I doubt this is possible but localize manpower to individual regions so that armies can only draw reserves from the region that they are stationed in

To me, it seems like the sweet spot for small-medium sized powers would be the ability to have your full force limit in reserves but for larger empires that should taper off significantly as to simulate, like I stated before, the impossibility of having 100% of your reserves reinforce 100% of your empire. I'm thinking tapering the impact of pops on reserves so that they progressively add less and less to manpower as you obtain more pops. I expect that probably is not possible, so perhaps just adding limiting modifiers on manpower for the different types of powers (local power, regional power, etc.) as your empire grows in size. In short, manpower in Iberia should have little to no impact on reinforcing your legion that just took an L to the Seleucid's in Syria

Again, many thanks for all of the hard work that the Invictus team has done for the community :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
I've played the hell out of Invictus and absolutely love it. Have a ton of gratitude for everyone on the team that is keeping this game alive.

and I do have a few ideas/suggestions for manpower, very interested to hear if there are any strong opinions on this or future plans for Invictus in this arena.

-significantly reduce total manpower available--more so for large empires than small-medium sized powers, to simulate the logistical challenges of transporting reserves from far reaches of your empire to a front. Manpower becomes more or less irrelevant towards end game when it becomes rare to dip below 100k and have a maximum of 500k+... this diminishes the importance of any singular battle and kills immersion, at least for me

-I doubt this is possible but localize manpower to individual regions so that armies can only draw reserves from the region that they are stationed in

To me, it seems like the sweet spot for small-medium sized powers would be the ability to have your full force limit in reserves but for larger empires that should taper off significantly as to simulate, like I stated before, the impossibility of having 100% of your reserves reinforce 100% of your empire. I'm thinking tapering the impact of pops on reserves so that they progressively add less and less to manpower as you obtain more pops. I expect that probably is not possible, so perhaps just adding limiting modifiers on manpower for the different types of powers (local power, regional power, etc.) as your empire grows in size. In short, manpower in Iberia should have little to no impact on reinforcing your legion that just took an L to the Seleucid's in Syria

Again, many thanks for all of the hard work that the Invictus team has done for the community :)

I agree with OP that with time (much earlier than towards end game) manpower usually becomes a non-issue. But if we are for historical accuracy (I am), possible solutions should be IMHO different.

I'll go with argumentum ad Romanum ;), but afterall - it's Imperator: Rome. As historical findings (letters home of volunteers to Roman legions or auxiliary cohorts,"papers" of legions' bureaucracy, including daily roosters etc.) show, recruits were travelling/sailing often a very long way to their chosen or designated units.
Surely, when a legion or auxiliary cohort was first established, it drew most of manpower from a specific region, but later on things got more complex. Most historical sources we have are for imperial period (even early one) with established fixed legions, but in fact this is how legions are portrayed and work in I:R, even if the game period is earlier. Replacements were flowing all across empire for even thousands km just as were trade goods, including military supplies (which again is tesified by many perserved legions' notes with ordering of tunics, food etc.).

How to tamper with manpower then to restrict it somehow later on? I dont't know exact maths behind manpower in I:R, but maybe it would be possible to play with a civilisation factor? I know it's a kind of generalization and stereotype, but the more civilized, "settled", romanized and wealthier Roman world became, the more often problems with manpower occured (including tesified by sources cases of self-mutilation to avoid conscription, an official institution of subsitutes etc.). So maybe the higher civilisation is in a given settlement/city, the more negative impact it could have on manpower generated there (even more for cities than settlements)? Sounds like a relatively simple solution to me.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I agree with OP that with time (much earlier than towards end game) manpower usually becomes a non-issue. But if we are for historical accuracy (I am), possible solutions should be IMHO different.

I'll go with argumentum ad Romanum ;), but afterall - it's Imperator: Rome. As historical findings (letters home of volunteers to Roman legions or auxiliary cohorts,"papers" of legions' bureaucracy, including daily roosters etc.) show, recruits were travelling/sailing often a very long way to their chosen or designated units.
Surely, when a legion or auxiliary cohort was first established, it drew most of manpower from a specific region, but later on things got more complex. Most historical sources we have are for imperial period (even early one) with established fixed legions, but in fact this is how legions are portrayed and work in I:R, even if the game period is earlier. Replacements were flowing all across empire for even thousands km just as were trade goods, including military supplies (which again is tesified by many perserved legions' notes with ordering of tunics, food etc.).

How to tamper with manpower then to restrict it somehow later on? I dont't know exact maths behind manpower in I:R, but maybe it would be possible to play with a civilisation factor? I know it's a kind of generalization and stereotype, but the more civilized, "settled", romanized and wealthier Roman world became, the more often problems with manpower occured (including tesified by sources cases of self-mutilation to avoid conscription, an official institution of subsitutes etc.). So maybe the higher civilisation is in a given settlement/city, the more negative impact it could have on manpower generated there (even more for cities than settlements)? Sounds like a relatively simple solution to me.
Love this idea. I think this would handle the problem brilliantly. Would be interested to hear a devs take on it

Though I do wonder to what extent replacements could be sent and at what speed-say from my previous example, from Western Europe to the Levant. Perhaps to a force of 80,000 that had just taken 50% casualties and already exhausted all reserves in that region during it’s campaign. Seems unlikely that many tens of thousands would be able to be sent such a long distance in great enough numbers and in short enough time to fully replenish unless an already existing army was vacated from another region

Last edited:

I modded my game to have -50% manpower at 100% civilization and -75% manpower from unintegrated cultures. This dropped my manpower as a midgame Rome with all of greater Italy, Greece, Macedonia, and Africa down to 147K. Previously, I was fielding well over 300K.

I think the results are fairly reasonable as I field around 50k troops in my legion, so losing my entire army would actually be a significant dent in my manpower again. Usually, I just ignore manpower after the early game, but now I could see myself actually looking at the value in early-midgame.

• 1Like
Reactions:
significantly reduce total manpower available
I think that one of the final discussions Arheo had about the new changes to vanilla was that he wished to remove manpower completely but it was so deeply ingrained into other calculations and balancing that it couldn't be completely removed. (perhaps someone can find this post for me to make sure I'm remembering correctly). I speculate that the legion size restrictions were designed to be the limiting factor. But your point is taken that lower reserves is different from a max cap on legion sizes.
I doubt this is possible but localize manpower to individual regions so that armies can only draw reserves from the region that they are stationed in
I'm sure some modifiers could be made on the manpower source as mentioned by others below, but I doubt you can localize where you replenish your amounts. But this area is not my forte.
I'm thinking tapering the impact of pops on reserves so that they progressively add less and less to manpower as you obtain more pops.
This theme touches on a larger idea that we discussed in the early stages of Invictus, which is how to introduce decay to large realms. I was more focused on negative economic changes. We ultimately decided that implementing it would require significant mechanical changes and we wanted (at least initially) for Invictus to enhance flavor rather than overhaul mechanics. The topic is still on my mind, although I don't know when or where it would be implemented.

• 2Like
Reactions: