• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just out of curiosity. The divorce stuff:
  • What is the historical precedent?
  • And more importantly, what is the gameplay that this is trying to allow?
As always, thank you for continuing to improve this awesome game.

For more character interactions, I'd borrow the original intentions that CK3 had as a character-based role play. Characters are Imperator's least developed features, in my opinion.

Things like becoming friends, lovers and rivals all help tell a story throughout the years.

Friends and rivals are in the game already, but I often find that I am deciding to do these things out of strategy needs rather than because of my character. I am not suggesting removing the strategic gameplay, but it would be great if the game tracked character events that then would trigger the player's ability to opt into a character interaction free of charge, as an incentive.

Say you have an Alliance that has lasted for quite some time, with many wars fought together. If the two rulers traits align, the game could let the player befriend the other ruler free of charge, incentivising the player to take action that aligns with world events without removing any agency from the player. (and maybe causing a jealous wife/son/brother of the ruler to declare rivalry or something...)
This is an exceedingly simple example, but anything that strengthens that sort of emergent gameplay is welcomed by me.

I would understand if some here would not want this type of CK3-ness added to Imperator, but with CK3 failing to live up to this type of gameplay and devolving into a meme fabricator, I would like to find more of that content in Imperator.

So, in recap, what I am suggesting is a way for the game to reward/incentivise the player for using the existing Character Interactions in ways that enforces an emergent storyline rather then using those interactions just for strategic gain.
Sulla divorced at least one of his wives, and ordered Julius Caesar to divorce his wife. Divorcing your own wife has important gameplay outcomes, telling others to get divorced feels more RP-oriented, but I can see possible strategic benefits from doing that, as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm done, if you don't understand what you read then stop wasting my time.
We're done with you, if you're going to be rude to devs of the mod, then what on earth are you doing here? A dev kindly asked what the problem was as your explanation is inherently unclear and you immediately turn to rudeness, please reconsider your actions or just permanently leave this thread.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can i Just check something? I'm playing as Rome and I've managed to acquire a misssion that involves developing Macedonia. In it, several of the objectives involve ensuring that Cassandreia and Pharsalos are cities with a certain number of buildings. I've more than exceeded those numbers (and the subtypes - i.e. cassandreia must have city status (yep), must have at least three ports (yep - game acknowledges this), must have at least 7 buildings - well Cassandreia now has like 15 buildings and still I'm not seeing a tick and therefore can't complete that bit of the mission.
What can I do to fix this?

I really want to add more character interactions into the game, if anyone can think of any that aren’t in the game that you would like let us know! There’s a good chance it’ll be added if it’s a good suggestion.
ransom for prisoners of war (which unless I'm wrong is not) would be an option.

Can i Just check something? I'm playing as Rome and I've managed to acquire a misssion that involves developing Macedonia. In it, several of the objectives involve ensuring that Cassandreia and Pharsalos are cities with a certain number of buildings. I've more than exceeded those numbers (and the subtypes - i.e. cassandreia must have city status (yep), must have at least three ports (yep - game acknowledges this), must have at least 7 buildings - well Cassandreia now has like 15 buildings and still I'm not seeing a tick and therefore can't complete that bit of the mission.
What can I do to fix this?
What's the name of the mission?
Also it would be useful if you can tell us also the code of the mission

DD41: Gaul Rework
Dev Diary 41: Gaul rework

Salvete! Today we’ll be talking about Palando’s work on Gaul and the British Isles. Including culture reworks, a new setup and a few mission trees. For all this I’ll hand you over to Palando, but first a note from me:

Note from Snowlet: again there has been an increase in rudeness towards our devs (not just what you see here on the forums but in rude DM’s usually directed at me too), I wish to remind you that all our devs have real lives and they only work on this in their spare time, they’re not paid to do this and they aren’t capable of magically fixing everything. If you have found a bug, please do report it in as much detail as possible, if it’s unclear what’s wrong, we’ll ask for clarification until we as Devs can understand. Answering this rudely is unproductive and frankly if you’re going to be rude to the devs who have poured tons of time into this project, I kindly ask you to remain silent or go away.

Link to our Discord: https://discord.gg/5K9fd3qSjx

A while ago, I posted a poll on what ‘barbarian’ region you think should get content next. You can see the results here:

FE9-bCUUuNn_uPrHKxaIE0mKUtFBv1-t9imROfk92I37-p-HTlr4BIGWrBdVn8JHYrtRghorifeHdyoGcB__K2-OI5x09tyald6yk_Gsd8y6Wx2Gr-84hab6P-3FvaiVu_De-szy

You can also see my own bias.

Gaul Rework

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

I’m pleased to announce that the development of content for Gaul has started. In today’s dev diary, we are going to start with the cultural rework. A general change is that cultures should now better follow the tribal borders, as it was odd that the heartland of a tribe wasn’t populated with its own culture.

The most striking change should be that some cultures were moved out of the Belgae group. Internally, we had thorough discussion about how to deal with the mixed Germano-Celtic nature of the Belgae that was reported by Caesar. Given that there seemed to be regional and long-standing connections between the Belgae tribes, we decided to leave them in their own culture group. But because of this interpretation, the Treveri, Ubii and Sennones could no longer be part of it.

Furthermore, the size of the Helvetian culture was reduced and now is reserved only for tribes that belonged to the Helvetii. The southern Helvetian pops are now called Allobrogian, and Lemovician was merged into Arverni to not increase the total amount of cultures in Gaul. Additionally, the Arecomici are now Volcae. Finally, Teurian was added for the Naumburger group in the border region between North-Western Bohemia and Eastern Germany.

uHol7pbOfPf1yv4bU4XjfgTWnzh076SBOHiKXIpBYAw7YZpEKlv4opQvZrUmHsm8zFDw5igecHA77czsqSFfMqWdBFsx3wKbBsbxxS-o5szQNG0aIUSZU_n4iwRPgPgHj1-F-KT9

Caesar’s tripartite division is clearly visible here.

Gaulish Mission Trees

The content update for Gaul is going to be accompanied by several mission trees that will either be tied to a certain culture or tags. We currently have a list of these, but we will not share it publicly, because some may be added to the list or maybe also removed. You can speculate below what trees are currently planned, though some should be easily guessable by readers of Caesar’s Commentarii de Bello Gallico.

The first mission tree will be for Celts living on the eastern side of the Celtic world, the Boii. Caesar defeated a migratory band of this tribe in the Battle of Bibracte. However, the missions will deal with preventing some of the causes of this migration instead.

During the Celtic migration period of the 4th century BC, Boii settled in what we now call Bohemia but also in Cisalpine Gaul in modern Italy. The first task is to reform the Boian society into a federation under a central tribal council before eyeing further expansion and claiming the whole Bohemian basin. Afterwards, one path will guide you towards the north by going into Silesia and, from there, convincing the local Vandals that it would be beneficial for them to join a league under your and Lugus’s aegis. From there, you can claim the riches of the amber coast, but have to secure your north-eastern flank by dealing with the Germanic people living there.

The other mandatory path is about conquering Pannonia, with which an alliance with the Taurisci might help you. The Boian presence in Pannonia was historically ended by the Dacians under King Burebista, but it is up to the player to prevent this. Completing the northern and Pannonian paths is required to complete the mission tree with your own ‘commonwealth’ obviously led by yourself.

Other optional tasks thematise the Boian coinage standard, expanding your capital with an acropolis or gaining access to valuable resources in your vicinity, the iron and salt of Noricum.

8GkNNd_TyIAj_JNuGX8oBq-BmbaNzFJFDolxonSYmqzr-qMdznGT-mQKFwZSdIDWnp63J87P2XuDv8fUpXNAuJnKdz3doTib1iNdyiUyAToqhD1xOYuP1APiV21LzCG3rLXprQh7

In the next dev diary about Gaul, we will delve into more mission trees, most likely also in the centre of Celtic Gaul.

The Northern Brethren

Although, there are currently no plans to add mission trees to Britannia - that is for the foreseeable future, some of the Gaulish content will interact with the isle. There were e.g. trade networks between Brittany, Cornwall, Wales and Southern Ireland or between Belgium and Kent.

Because of this, a slight setup and cultural rework is going to be part of the next update. So, Parisian was added as a culture to represent the distinct Arras culture, Hibernian was split into a southern culture representing the aforementioned ties and a northern one, and the cultures in south-eastern Britain were fixed (no Cantians in Trinovantia and vice-versa).

Lastly, there is going to be only one Insular Celtic culture group. So for the reasons, the linguistic split between proto-Goidelic and proto-Brythonic is e.g. also present in the Italic languages, yet in both cases it would make for a granular division. Furthermore, Cornwall and Wales (also Aremorica) had e.g. far stronger ties to southern Ireland than to the tribes of the west coast, as the seaways were better suited for communication than most land routes via forests or mountainous terrain. In general, it is, therefore, hard to estimate where exactly the isogloss between proto-Goidelic and proto-Brythonic was in around 304 BC, and we don’t know for certain when this split began to arise.

-Q3ue5Ld6LpDpgRhUimxX38SzzFK2PbXoA3d-b4oVCT35lEVSaNzw5VTwrYJL4yIkDoQMixKGfCi_6-7nBBIlCd5yC7sgboDOQ-ACkbS3VxRe86cFx_PBKpQUfV8DmYmHxVXORsQ

The western coast of Hibernia is now also playable, though for now, not all tribes mentioned by Ptolemaios were added. Based on a foxy request, you can also start on the Isle of Mann with Monapia, the name recorded by Ptolemaios for the island.

Ny4qlma-aOzUzIaOpbYayPqJFitRinb-DkvQ6QTlH55GCaFwMT7hES4WaJDKTx0yy6BHzm-qHTwkJxScazmRKjwVDb7pjH8iNWHU7XIVCeCerQXQeXin20JAjS9WM8NrCcldPPhI

Roman Britannia

As I recently read Sir Barrington Cunliffe’s book, Britain Begins, the description of the Roman invasion of Britain inspired me to script a new Roman mission tree. I also personally like to play a Roman campaign from time to time. Anyway, the effort spent on scripting and localising this tree was far lower than any barbarian tree, so you don’t have to fear that this delayed the development of more content for Gaul.

The structure of the tree is mostly based on the Gaulish one. The main path asks you to establish a base for your naval invasion in Belgium and Aremorica, and one optional task will help you to build a navy for this invasion.Then you have to conquer the territory up to the border of the Roman province. Thereafter, it is your decision if you want to complete what Agricola could not and subdue the Caledonians or secure the border as Hadrian did with his wall. In the former case, you can also eye Hibernia and potentially conquer it with just one legion, at least that is what Agricola claimed. One unique optional task is centred around the Interpretatio Romana of the Celtic goddess Sulis, which will grant you access to a new deity, Sulis Minerva.

Gb4uyV2bMq99tvGbUK5nHZlGBbpbVLmkFe_o9pdzKDi14jV-JN6sAvi5tWoIx1xZ4t0RZEDlhreYF7G2aKdiJ_S1cYsUdwW4Om28vw_TCX8LewT9ImjGJyJndQG8M283OkBIV4T0

• 34Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
ransom for prisoners of war (which unless I'm wrong is not) would be an option.
Technically, it is already part of the game - however the practical impact on gameplay is low, as the AI will never pay ransom for the captives you take - and since they are prone to cause a bug draining your stability ( https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...egative-stability-tick.1461187/#post-27502301 ), you are best off with immeditately releasing them a battle. For your own prisoners, you can decide to pay the ransom the AI demands - but I rarely found it to be useful (human player rarely suffers defeats resulting in losing characters - and if they are likely low-qualified ones), even when taking I account the risk of the prisoner escaping to a third party and giving them a claim vs. you.

Sadly fixing the AI (so that they pay ransom at least for their truly good generals like that 16 MA character they got from a tradition or so) is likely outside of what the Invictus team can do by modding.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great work as always!

On the recent discussion on the impact of bloodlines my thoughts are that they are fun to collect but so powerful that they are a little bit game-breaking. Personally I think they should add a bit of flavour but not change the way you play (currently they are way stronger than heritages for example). Perhaps bonuses of 2-5% instead of 5-10% could go some way to balance it?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great work as always!

On the recent discussion on the impact of bloodlines my thoughts are that they are fun to collect but so powerful that they are a little bit game-breaking. Personally I think they should add a bit of flavour but not change the way you play (currently they are way stronger than heritages for example). Perhaps bonuses of 2-5% instead of 5-10% could go some way to balance it?
They are already nerfed :)
On one of the dev builds.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi, I love the direction the mod is going in and I can't wait to see more of the mission trees.

I also have a (potential) bug report. In my last game, I formed the Hellenistic Empire with the Seleukids and I found I still had access to the mission tree that helps you form the Hellenic League even though that tree is disabled for the diadochi states. Is this WAD or is a condition missing?

Last edited:
Dacia came second place in the poll so is it the next region to get content (at some point in the future of course)? Also, thank you for your hard work! The game became addicting after discovering this mod.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hello, big fan of this mod, it's really added lots of replay value for me.

Not sure if this is a bug, but when integrating boharic pops and selecting the option to patronize phoenician culture, I'm not seeing any additional inventions pop up in the tech tree.

To double check, I loaded up a new game with Judea and then with Kush, and I can see the additional unique techs assigned to levantine as well as the nubian cultures. Does Egyptian culture not fall under any of these 2 culture groups?

Reactions:
Short question but would it be possible in one version or another of the mod to split the Thessalian League from Makedonia? The historical argument I have is that to my understanding the league was never annex into Makedonian proper and the gameplay argument is that it would give another interesting Greek tag to play with.

Now I know that Greek minors are already fairly many but I will regardless advocate for them being a client state of Makedonia as opposed to a formal part of said state.

Reactions:
Hi guys,

I want to write a review about the generic mission tree for subject nations to free themselves from their overlords.
I've recently tried it out for the first time, and I think I have done it waaaay too easily :D
I mean to the point where it wasn't even fun.

I think it's really good that we finally have something interesting to do as a vassal state, so this is a most welcome feature, but I suggest revisiting this mission tree if you have the time. If you welcome help, I am absolutely available even for modding too :)

In my playthrough I choose the Diplomatic way, and usually while playing I peek into the game files, I've done this now too. I have noticed that basically you need to improve your overlord's opinion of yourself and gather good_boy_points to increase your chances of your overlord simply letting you go.

Now, my point is that I have aided my overlord in a war before I started, so my overlord's opinion of me was maxed out, I didn't really have to work with that.
Some tasks that gave me good_boy_points were also tied to my overlord's opinion, so having a high opinion there was actually useful in two different ways.

My stability was a bit low, but I only had to raise it to 60% to fulfill all requirements tied to stability and well, 60% isn't that much. I managed to do it in 5 years - this was definitely the hardest part, but even this one didn't take too long.
Perhaps the second hardest part was befriending the ruler of my overlord's nation, but even if I fail at this, my chances of succeeding would have been over 99% anyway.

The event in which I had to gave away stuff to my overlord made the most sense to me thematically. After all my overlord should gain a LOT for simply letting me go free, but looking at the game files, if I understand it well, I get a good_boy_point from this event, even if I refuse to donate anything to my overlord and after discovering this, it kind of feels like an exploit.

So to summarize my thoughts of this, I am really glad that a mission tree with this concept exists, but I think the conditions to finishing it should be way harder than reaching a stability of 60%.
I would prefer to see something where the overlord absolutely exploits and tests the subject's loyalty before they decide to let it go.

And again, if you welcome my help with reworking this, I am more than happy to brainstorm ideas or even to code them, if you think you can include the changes in a future release :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
What's the name of the mission?
Also it would be useful if you can tell us also the code of the mission
Lighthouse of Greece. Turns out that the trigger appears to actually trigger when you have *exactly* seven buildings in the cities mentioned, instead of "at least" as mentioned in the text. I knocked down some buildings to test this on a hunch, and figured it out.

Reactions:
Dev Diary 41: Gaul rework

Salvete! Today we’ll be talking about Palando’s work on Gaul and the British Isles. Including culture reworks, a new setup and a few mission trees. For all this I’ll hand you over to Palando, but first a note from me:

Note from Snowlet: again there has been an increase in rudeness towards our devs (not just what you see here on the forums but in rude DM’s usually directed at me too), I wish to remind you that all our devs have real lives and they only work on this in their spare time, they’re not paid to do this and they aren’t capable of magically fixing everything. If you have found a bug, please do report it in as much detail as possible, if it’s unclear what’s wrong, we’ll ask for clarification until we as Devs can understand. Answering this rudely is unproductive and frankly if you’re going to be rude to the devs who have poured tons of time into this project, I kindly ask you to remain silent or go away.

Link to our Discord: https://discord.gg/5K9fd3qSjx

A while ago, I posted a poll on what ‘barbarian’ region you think should get content next. You can see the results here:

FE9-bCUUuNn_uPrHKxaIE0mKUtFBv1-t9imROfk92I37-p-HTlr4BIGWrBdVn8JHYrtRghorifeHdyoGcB__K2-OI5x09tyald6yk_Gsd8y6Wx2Gr-84hab6P-3FvaiVu_De-szy

You can also see my own bias.

Gaul Rework

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

I’m pleased to announce that the development of content for Gaul has started. In today’s dev diary, we are going to start with the cultural rework. A general change is that cultures should now better follow the tribal borders, as it was odd that the heartland of a tribe wasn’t populated with its own culture.

The most striking change should be that some cultures were moved out of the Belgae group. Internally, we had thorough discussion about how to deal with the mixed Germano-Celtic nature of the Belgae that was reported by Caesar. Given that there seemed to be regional and long-standing connections between the Belgae tribes, we decided to leave them in their own culture group. But because of this interpretation, the Treveri, Ubii and Sennones could no longer be part of it.

Furthermore, the size of the Helvetian culture was reduced and now is reserved only for tribes that belonged to the Helvetii. The southern Helvetian pops are now called Allobrogian, and Lemovician was merged into Arverni to not increase the total amount of cultures in Gaul. Additionally, the Arecomici are now Volcae. Finally, Teurian was added for the Naumburger group in the border region between North-Western Bohemia and Eastern Germany.

uHol7pbOfPf1yv4bU4XjfgTWnzh076SBOHiKXIpBYAw7YZpEKlv4opQvZrUmHsm8zFDw5igecHA77czsqSFfMqWdBFsx3wKbBsbxxS-o5szQNG0aIUSZU_n4iwRPgPgHj1-F-KT9

Caesar’s tripartite division is clearly visible here.

Gaulish Mission Trees

The content update for Gaul is going to be accompanied by several mission trees that will either be tied to a certain culture or tags. We currently have a list of these, but we will not share it publicly, because some may be added to the list or maybe also removed. You can speculate below what trees are currently planned, though some should be easily guessable by readers of Caesar’s Commentarii de Bello Gallico.

The first mission tree will be for Celts living on the eastern side of the Celtic world, the Boii. Caesar defeated a migratory band of this tribe in the Battle of Bibracte. However, the missions will deal with preventing some of the causes of this migration instead.

During the Celtic migration period of the 4th century BC, Boii settled in what we now call Bohemia but also in Cisalpine Gaul in modern Italy. The first task is to reform the Boian society into a federation under a central tribal council before eyeing further expansion and claiming the whole Bohemian basin. Afterwards, one path will guide you towards the north by going into Silesia and, from there, convincing the local Vandals that it would be beneficial for them to join a league under your and Lugus’s aegis. From there, you can claim the riches of the amber coast, but have to secure your north-eastern flank by dealing with the Germanic people living there.

The other mandatory path is about conquering Pannonia, with which an alliance with the Taurisci might help you. The Boian presence in Pannonia was historically ended by the Dacians under King Burebista, but it is up to the player to prevent this. Completing the northern and Pannonian paths is required to complete the mission tree with your own ‘commonwealth’ obviously led by yourself.

Other optional tasks thematise the Boian coinage standard, expanding your capital with an acropolis or gaining access to valuable resources in your vicinity, the iron and salt of Noricum.

8GkNNd_TyIAj_JNuGX8oBq-BmbaNzFJFDolxonSYmqzr-qMdznGT-mQKFwZSdIDWnp63J87P2XuDv8fUpXNAuJnKdz3doTib1iNdyiUyAToqhD1xOYuP1APiV21LzCG3rLXprQh7

In the next dev diary about Gaul, we will delve into more mission trees, most likely also in the centre of Celtic Gaul.

The Northern Brethren

Although, there are currently no plans to add mission trees to Britannia - that is for the foreseeable future, some of the Gaulish content will interact with the isle. There were e.g. trade networks between Brittany, Cornwall, Wales and Southern Ireland or between Belgium and Kent.

Because of this, a slight setup and cultural rework is going to be part of the next update. So, Parisian was added as a culture to represent the distinct Arras culture, Hibernian was split into a southern culture representing the aforementioned ties and a northern one, and the cultures in south-eastern Britain were fixed (no Cantians in Trinovantia and vice-versa).

Lastly, there is going to be only one Insular Celtic culture group. So for the reasons, the linguistic split between proto-Goidelic and proto-Brythonic is e.g. also present in the Italic languages, yet in both cases it would make for a granular division. Furthermore, Cornwall and Wales (also Aremorica) had e.g. far stronger ties to southern Ireland than to the tribes of the west coast, as the seaways were better suited for communication than most land routes via forests or mountainous terrain. In general, it is, therefore, hard to estimate where exactly the isogloss between proto-Goidelic and proto-Brythonic was in around 304 BC, and we don’t know for certain when this split began to arise.

-Q3ue5Ld6LpDpgRhUimxX38SzzFK2PbXoA3d-b4oVCT35lEVSaNzw5VTwrYJL4yIkDoQMixKGfCi_6-7nBBIlCd5yC7sgboDOQ-ACkbS3VxRe86cFx_PBKpQUfV8DmYmHxVXORsQ

The western coast of Hibernia is now also playable, though for now, not all tribes mentioned by Ptolemaios were added. Based on a foxy request, you can also start on the Isle of Mann with Monapia, the name recorded by Ptolemaios for the island.

Ny4qlma-aOzUzIaOpbYayPqJFitRinb-DkvQ6QTlH55GCaFwMT7hES4WaJDKTx0yy6BHzm-qHTwkJxScazmRKjwVDb7pjH8iNWHU7XIVCeCerQXQeXin20JAjS9WM8NrCcldPPhI

Roman Britannia

As I recently read Sir Barrington Cunliffe’s book, Britain Begins, the description of the Roman invasion of Britain inspired me to script a new Roman mission tree. I also personally like to play a Roman campaign from time to time. Anyway, the effort spent on scripting and localising this tree was far lower than any barbarian tree, so you don’t have to fear that this delayed the development of more content for Gaul.

The structure of the tree is mostly based on the Gaulish one. The main path asks you to establish a base for your naval invasion in Belgium and Aremorica, and one optional task will help you to build a navy for this invasion.Then you have to conquer the territory up to the border of the Roman province. Thereafter, it is your decision if you want to complete what Agricola could not and subdue the Caledonians or secure the border as Hadrian did with his wall. In the former case, you can also eye Hibernia and potentially conquer it with just one legion, at least that is what Agricola claimed. One unique optional task is centred around the Interpretatio Romana of the Celtic goddess Sulis, which will grant you access to a new deity, Sulis Minerva.

Gb4uyV2bMq99tvGbUK5nHZlGBbpbVLmkFe_o9pdzKDi14jV-JN6sAvi5tWoIx1xZ4t0RZEDlhreYF7G2aKdiJ_S1cYsUdwW4Om28vw_TCX8LewT9ImjGJyJndQG8M283OkBIV4T0
This looks amazing! May I suggest a SLIIIIGHT rework to the regions in Scotland. It'd be amazing to be able to re-enact the Antonine Wall too. To do this, the two regions immediately south of the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde would just need to be added to the province south of the red line (following the river, sorry for my janky lines! )- and an additional little region in green allows for the natives to continue to move around the lowlands just north of the wall (and maybe make it the herding sheep resource and make the "edinburgh" region (southeast of the red line) something else to ensure the region north of the Antonine doesn't lose out on the food front).

Britannia.png

It would also be great to have an option to move into the Highlands as Agricola did (as evidenced by the building of the legionary fortress at Inchtuthil (which was only abandoned when Legio II Adiutrix was pulled from Britain to the Danube to help shore up the frontier there (and thus Legio XX Valeria Victrix replaced it at Eboracum (York). Exploring the "what if" would be quite cool, especially as prior to the need for troops on the Danube, the fortifications in Scotland were actually quite extensive: http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/perth_fife/inchtuthil_roman_fort.html

Attachments

• roman_military_operations_scotland_ad86.png
    roman_military_operations_scotland_ad86.png
    458,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
Hi guys,

I want to write a review about the generic mission tree for subject nations to free themselves from their overlords.
I've recently tried it out for the first time, and I think I have done it waaaay too easily :D
I mean to the point where it wasn't even fun.

I think it's really good that we finally have something interesting to do as a vassal state, so this is a most welcome feature, but I suggest revisiting this mission tree if you have the time. If you welcome help, I am absolutely available even for modding too :)

In my playthrough I choose the Diplomatic way, and usually while playing I peek into the game files, I've done this now too. I have noticed that basically you need to improve your overlord's opinion of yourself and gather good_boy_points to increase your chances of your overlord simply letting you go.

Now, my point is that I have aided my overlord in a war before I started, so my overlord's opinion of me was maxed out, I didn't really have to work with that.
Some tasks that gave me good_boy_points were also tied to my overlord's opinion, so having a high opinion there was actually useful in two different ways.

My stability was a bit low, but I only had to raise it to 60% to fulfill all requirements tied to stability and well, 60% isn't that much. I managed to do it in 5 years - this was definitely the hardest part, but even this one didn't take too long.
Perhaps the second hardest part was befriending the ruler of my overlord's nation, but even if I fail at this, my chances of succeeding would have been over 99% anyway.

The event in which I had to gave away stuff to my overlord made the most sense to me thematically. After all my overlord should gain a LOT for simply letting me go free, but looking at the game files, if I understand it well, I get a good_boy_point from this event, even if I refuse to donate anything to my overlord and after discovering this, it kind of feels like an exploit.

So to summarize my thoughts of this, I am really glad that a mission tree with this concept exists, but I think the conditions to finishing it should be way harder than reaching a stability of 60%.
I would prefer to see something where the overlord absolutely exploits and tests the subject's loyalty before they decide to let it go.

And again, if you welcome my help with reworking this, I am more than happy to brainstorm ideas or even to code them, if you think you can include the changes in a future release :)
Thanks a lot for your feedback. The mission tree to free yourself from your overlord is quite long and complex, with the 2+1 roads you can follow. Right now I think revisiting this mission is not planned, not because we think it's perfect but cause we normally focus more on creating content rather than repolishing already released content due to lacking manpower.
Do you have the link to our discord? We are always looking for people to join us, so feel free to come over there and leave a comment in the recruitment channel :)

roryfinnokane

Thanks for sharing the info, we'll check and try to fix it asap

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks amazing! May I suggest a SLIIIIGHT rework to the regions in Scotland - the two regions immediately south of the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde would just need to be added to the province south of the red line (following the river, sorry for my janky lines! - and an additional little region in green allows for the natives to continue to move around the lowlands just north of the wall (and maybe make it the herding sheep resource and make the "edinburgh" region (southeast of the red line) something else to ensure the region north of the Antonine doesn't lose out on the food front.

View attachment 820304

It would also be great to have an option to move into the Highlands as Agricola did (as evidenced by the building of the legionary fortress at Inchtuthil (which was only abandoned when Legio II Adiutrix was pulled from Britain to the Danube to help shore up the frontier there (and thus Legio XX Valeria Victrix replaced it at Eboracum (York). Exploring the "what if" would be quite cool, especially as prior to the need for troops on the Danube, the fortifications in Scotland were actually quite extensive: http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/perth_fife/inchtuthil_roman_fort.html
Thank you for your feedback. I can't promise that we will change the province setup for the next update, but maybe it would be good to combine it with the general update for Britannia.

To complete the mission to subjugate the Caledonii, you have to get rid of the barbarian spawn points in the highland, too. So it's not a direct confrontation, but still you have to deal with those.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is winning the 4th war as the Antigonid Kingdom meant to be nearly impossible in this mod? I somehow managed to force Ptolemy to white peace by fighting him to a standstill in the 4th Diadochi war, nearly full annexed Macedon while gaining the upper hand against Thrace and Seleucid Kingdom all at the same time. I was actually feeling pretty proud of myself until 150,000 Gauls show up out of no where and declare war on me as soon as the tide turned decisively in my favor. Is there a strategy to handle these events, or is this some kind of hardcoded thing to prevent some of the Diadochi from snowballing early game like they do in vanilla?

Doesn't feel so good to just watch as 150,000 event spawned troops ravages my hard earned kingdom anyway. Can't tell if its meant to be brutally punishing or if I messed up somewhere without realizing it.

Edit: Okay I played it out and unconditionally surrendered to all 4 of the Gaullic tribes, turns out they just wanted me to release some city states as subjects and none of them took any land. So it worked out in the end but I'm not convinced this is working as intended

Actually you should wait for the Galatians to ask for a good chunk of Anatolia for themselves.

Btw, if you managed to survive the Antigonid wars, congratulations, it's really tough.

Interesting hearing this perspective. One the one hand, the historical circumstances surrounding the invasion was a politically fracturing Greek world so having them invade a [presumably] stable Antigonid realm is interesting. On the other hand, marauders choosing to kick you when you're down (on manpower) sounds quite accurate. It is a scripted event, so it's not personal. It also was your misfortune to own both Greece and Asia Minor since the hordes are split between both.
I'm wondering more about the mechanics of this peace deal since, as mentioned, there are scripted peaces intended to fire. If you preemptively surrendered then the AI probably cannot take the land that they get in the peace, which is why they asked for a release. That is unfortunate and unintended. I might rework this so that the player defender has a decision pop up so that they can always give the land away (and gain a new subject).

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: