• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
we run into the issue that Imperator becomes quite unstable if you go too far past the enddate
Thank you for your patience answering these questions.

It's clear that you have no intention or interest to extend the timeline. Let's say, however, like hypothetically, somebody hobbled together a mod that extended the timeline by a few centuries, and wanted to play with Invictus. Let's say that simple timeline extension mod made some simple changes that stretches out the amount of in-game years to create new dynamic tags, so there are fewer tags created, for longer. What would be the main stability issue for Invictus beyond the creation of new tags?

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thank you for your patience answering these questions.

It's clear that you have no intention or interest to extend the timeline. Let's say, however, like hypothetically, somebody hobbled together a mod that extended the timeline by a few centuries, and wanted to play with Invictus. Let's say that simple timeline extension mod made some simple changes that stretches out the amount of in-game years to create new dynamic tags, so there are fewer tags created, for longer. What would be the main stability issue for Invictus beyond the creation of new tags?
More tags, more characters, more pops, all those cause issues over the long-term.

Reactions:
So I tried playing as Aksum recently, I've played it on the vanilla and it wasn't fun, on I:I it also very quickly turned into unpleasant experience, because after the changes introduced to Nubia and Arabia Felix the region of Punt in comparison is on different, much lower, level. It has over 3 times lower population, plus it's divided(base game issue) so unification is a struggle. Ofc as a human you still shouldn't have an issue growing into neighbouring areas, but then another problem emerge. Your subjects end up being way stronger than you, so the only reasonable solution is to move capital away from Punt. So here is the question to modders: any plans to improve Punt in near future?

Btw have you already thought about some trade goods bonuses for Spearman? Like.. I don't know, removing Base Metals and introducing Copper, Zinc, Tin and Lead(so Rome will finally have their favourite metal ;)).

So I tried playing as Aksum recently, I've played it on the vanilla and it wasn't fun, on I:I it also very quickly turned into unpleasant experience, because after the changes introduced to Nubia and Arabia Felix the region of Punt in comparison is on different, much lower, level. It has over 3 times lower population, plus it's divided(base game issue) so unification is a struggle. Ofc as a human you still shouldn't have an issue growing into neighbouring areas, but then another problem emerge. Your subjects end up being way stronger than you, so the only reasonable solution is to move capital away from Punt. So here is the question to modders: any plans to improve Punt in near future?

Btw have you already thought about some trade goods bonuses for Spearman? Like.. I don't know, removing Base Metals and introducing Copper, Zinc, Tin and Lead(so Rome will finally have their favourite metal ;)).
More is planned for East Africa in the future, stay tuned. We will keep Aksum balance in mind. Yemen and Kush have received some content and we will flesh out more of Ethiopia and Somalia eventually

• 7Like
Reactions:
I love Invictus and am so excited to see all of the newest updates when they are published.
(Sorry if this is random or already addressed, I am new.)
I was wondering why the Aeolian tag is Troan and the historical Aeolian colonies are not Aeolian. The culture distribution in west Anatolia seems off. Like Aeolia should be Aeolian with Elaia as capital and Troad should be a separate vassal state if the area must be vassalized for balancing.

speaking of the fezzan tribes, they have an heritage that gives a bonus to the defense of camels but their levies do not have camels, I imagine that they lacked making the change, if they plan to change it I will leave you what needs to be changed (I am not an expert but I it worked):

in common\cultures\01_fezzani:

levy_template = levy_fezzani

in common\levey_template\01_northwestafrica:

levy_fezzani = { #General fezzani
default = no

light_infantry = 0.2
camels = 0.25
light_cavalry = 0.4
heavy_infantry = 0.1
warelephant = 0.05
}
It is not my intention to tell you which units or in what proportion, I just replaced the lancers with camels. It's up to you to decide that.

On the other hand dodekaschoinos a nation to the south of egypt and subjdita of them appears without culture.

in setup\main\00_default

DOD = {
family = 57
government = theocratic_monarchy
primary_culture = lower_nubian
religion = egyptian_pantheon
capital = 591 #Syene

add to common\cultures\00_aksumite_group:
lower_nubian = {}

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am noticing the new nations south of Carthage (in the lake map extension area) seem to move their pops around a lot in the cities.

retaking the levie from the fezzan tribes, there is a problem with the levies, at first I thought it was the changes I made in the levey_template, so I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and the problem continued, it turns out that the Macaea culture tribes (the rest works fine ) when levying only infantry and light cavalry are levied, so apparently it takes the default Levey_template and not the assigned one.

Other details I have seen:

The Tauriscia tribe in the southwest of the Pannonia region have a Noric culture and their Ups are Carnia.

In the levey_template for the Hadramite culture there is a quote about the percentage of spearmen which results (at least visually in the culture description) at 0% spearmen.

The new collections of the nations of the arabia felix region were not copied to the archives in Spanish, nor in the other languages.

Last edited:
DD36: Moroccan/Algerian extension, Punic content and update announcement
Dev Diary 36: Moroccan/Algerian extension, Punic content and update announcement.

Salvete! Today we'll be talking about extensions to the North-African map, the Maldives and various pieces of Punic content but first i'd like to happily announce that the next update will release most likely on the 9th of February, next Dev Diary will contain the patch notes but i'll give you a little teaser, Cyrenaica and Germania are included.

Hello, shocky27 here with the next map extensions (for Windows only) in Northwest Africa, specifically the Atlas Mountain region. A number of tribes are listed in this region from sources such as Hanno's Periplus, Pliny, Ptolemy and more, as well as a few other Punic settlements on the Atlantic coast, notably Arambys (later Roman Mogador). Let's get started!

XB_DAGdh3XUI-t_5pvOM_sEMIspiZyaReivfUlYMpHtiB7vIJY2xSnKoEcVy5btE6oN2zo1x--lhJA5D8mPvULPmMGV2MyDUrJOMHPOY9VdN8PaJxwsAHkeNKS9YNt0EANM6fSNp

Starting in the north on the coast of the Rif region, we find the Mauretanian subtribe of the Socosians. The new Rif area has been added to the Mauretania region, and Socosia starts as a tribal vassal to Mauretania. Large archaeological sites such as Sidi Driss, dating as far back as the early first millenium BC, have been added to the coast here. Just to the south and east of the Rif coastal areas is the Wadi Moulouya, a seasonal river running hundreds of kilometers from the Atlas Mountains in the south to the Mediterranean coast near Russadir. The Lower Moulouya and Upper Moulouya areas have been added, with the lower areas controlled by the Mauretanians and the Upper Moulouya controlled by the Cetiani, a tribe listed by Pliny and Ptolemy as being in this general region of the Atlas.
WQVO-cRJhI7jdr0kICkIPAlOHowIJ5Mv0xFzmMSdOOH4TM6aRtXBDGcQ8HYUHflX8ogujA97omSabpyqXn0PkMaWL19MvTawQASUDU_xPOsOXU5kN9Z_q2_04RtB6E9RVu45b5cu
spOUf8qZSRCHZXDlVwSuD3o5EvVR3mUxiBjvxnPvje5N9f3T67sflvk-s-tmjZPI1oTXKST3-dzdAeJQzCfNeqKnTUaZQ_79HVgHTE-gMbL-cDV1QV7BGvCExFhYHjl1c8SEc-k4

Additionally, previously colonizeable lands have been given new tags, such as the Nectiberi (cited by Pliny and Ptolemy) and the powerful Autolales confederation listed by several sources, which takes in previously unoccupied areas around Rutubis and extends southward to the areas around Arambys in the new Marrakech region.
iSvk8iqnH9-tnbSdBvOILsFdq_AqGIHmLutQ2_zPoz-sNsQB_HkyqGQcjH9eOonb0e4RlU4npA0pvoL4dxcKz0WE-GCxlbsMLL-83UtsyW3cl6i49hlljfw60JEonjiOsiNzWLSa

Moving south beyond the Anti-Atlas Range, we come to the Lixitae of Hanno, who appear to have been a Berber-speaking tribe around the modern Draa River that aided Hanno as translators as they sailed further south toward Senegal. Inland from this tribe, near Mt. Atlas itself (probably modern Mount Toubkal), were the Perorsi tribe and the Canarii tribe, listed by Ptolemy and Pliny.
29nKKKhDhaFBFG89iouob9NqU3vZINA7IJRt1zoAIxrF84OPlYOrHJ3FqA2f9O_qZEXjdv9wR7ydkmUNEfeJsJEneqkcZdU6ASQ5t0XIc2r62tYL_79p-fqe_wIkY1pkOk6UcBYB

Further east are more tribes listed by Ptolemy, Pliny and Tacitus; the Daphnitae, the Capariensi of the Saharan Atlas and the Abannae southwest of modern Chott el Hodna (a seasonal salt lake which was larger in this time period). These latter two tribes were personally confronted and defeated by the late Roman Emperor Theodosius as he attempted to defend the African Limes from incursion of Saharan tribes. Settlements added include the oasis of Figuig and the later Roman era fort of Castellum Dimmidi (known as Maassad in the present).
V8EwfV8g4N0L3mMFLMyuwFZ384gd5USJ7h3ROpy_aXncGrTBfbOY0Kr6j3QlF_BffXa8yydf1mfmmbsn1661wu8IUn6-Wcp38HCLCMFkGSOK36zuHyn_RPeb5woKjJ4OW5itql2I
NV4PzjnaWpIPcvuRK6gjtIZnPYNqbxC51HZn_9QQbAr8zWXk5sLzqJi52zI4deH1G9J_b2hVR9yAAgw92HhXQl6D9ws-Sx-cSKm1_bW-vXnadfPnTiN70nNmZ2FsOkYZZjOmPp35

Finally, we also have added the Maldives as a playable tag and created new terrain and sea tiles for it, as well as added a few more provinces to Sri Lanka. The Maldives were settled by 500BC, according to legend, by relatives of the same founders of the kingdom of Anuradhapura, King Vijaya. Buddhist influence increased through the 2nd century BC, and later the Romans would trade with a people known as the Dheyvis from these islands. 7 total provinces have been created ranging from Amindivi and the Laccadives in the north all the way to Huvadhu Atoll in the south.
esoHX_kOnOpF7iQgfI14cYkGPguf9Z4cZJ-CwbsvQzTN6mVwqVkZXCGEQ4i7ksPIHNqO6OjwwY9D06h18tiuTf0b8GyVlAgGINX1c-LJWGTftuVXjFjcpSc6pxV9gt6zOWgMHNFo
E0XdLXg8Nq_iiZ6YGWjmqE52GoFXhEA4bIGtiatcNAVIhVkrnpj8KcGxf5b0o96XA2DdhndrJK1t0ZgBiwBLcE3NmU24gwQj0U7fEHOFMdPtmr7hZ4nmcj2kILcA4YmONqxiw109
XQ1cI9z-p7lCZz_7SUKXB-TOE9BjDvXDSViywrC4sChNuq1_OzbMmW17E3qDBaghDYUfIpSVjmTwc3O-on7BkgzWGqR-C4ERcvmzrr-WSKo5alzZ4C7totLlgfecI7_PBqnIyPuZ

Hi! I’m Tudhaliya the Hittite and I’m here to show you some things Olivenkranz and I have been working on. First of all, we wanted to show you small changes to the Decision ‘Embrace Punic Republicanism’ Hannibal_theCannibal showed you some past DDs:
MZ5nFhCOt7Lz_aQZ8cosbYDqKowqwt4hsijXHUFBLNuHrwh7UibNcWD3TnMorNHeDxxqe8zIKxpnAliLEhnYHTH8BFBnSWDrckBWvklnnmQ0yphUj4LKABs-PvKX7kWfB5KshIVQ

We changed the Criteria to imitate the style of Vanilla:
z08wK21SQtqPxMz5xb8MFZOC2eLUV4V2BFX-OLgntQ84i7EsK6X-o1FCA9kvCrOZpuPlxqM5-G4j5ZRZmJTEuQXp4R0L0mK6TZ_NdxrYhVAG4XbLYmVBZ93TGAaXBV9oLjoOTZTG

So, if you want to embrace this special Government, you need to:
  • Have at least 40.00 Stability
  • Be at least a Local Power
  • Be Independent
  • Your capital territory has a Civilization Level of at least 60.00
  • If you are playing as a Punic cultured nation, you need to enact the new Punic law ‘Merchant Captains’. If you are not Punic, then you need to enact the Maritime Law ‘Lower Import Tariffs’.
8F8H7CLWZOodTkJjBeE74R6utqi2CjoksO7l19vRB-7bFEKShtEYqplm6p-bZjNMLjPkZJPimfexIU42HlRRzjeTF4Z40N3MglWm2wiPR_u_c9Pt8qw6hfKCPpZXl8T69lFgIQeW

Wait, did I hear well? Indeed, the Punic Government is made for Punics, but there will be special cases. Phoenician tags from the Homeland that established a Republican government will be able to become a Punic Republic, as well as Turdetanians, the heirs of Tartessos, if they are a Republic and embrace Canaanite faith. An interesting note is that if you are transitioning from a Plutocratic Republic, the Stability penalty will be lower!

We want to show you the new Heritage for Gadir too. Gadir is a small Punic tag near the Pillars of Herakles and the only other tag, besides Carthage, that starts with the special Punic Republic Government.
p1fBfs2MPkoS-s0f3Aq8UnGfv4TNQ_PFJA8yO03ToPeuChy8Go0vQsZ-zOK5UqzfcV9gw5C53WmnPVQV0W0msSl7Nb4FcVYhXiIqr75NmbjQn6ks_tMnYF7qMwwzb031LtrfS1Wa

We will talk about Gadir more in the future, but for now, here you have its Heritage:
8ijKuSEFhy_NUJLTh8wQNShId9XzxCgMfrg-QJI94vcXFf6Bfi1gt9PaSbyiK7SiwunYBkV9xA_eUSMjmnCAbIc5g-Nxx1-udyAjJmVeedFJ3Gy3PmcWTazvlngikxctRGb4_w__

As well as this fantastic flag made by RetconCrisis based on Gadiran coins:
qDYYKfQBnfA4ylNQMq-T9smidrQlvvOhTWOYGvwTiaM8nnCl-GN-5HiDAiHTS6vhTqai5nr870H3cLfKMMddt_umS3n8WD3WYaASweYwVLdis9FOzZMfFHtYy7q-OXmFSjAHBzWW
hJDwPGPu_g6luIMoT3ZghjYoJqO9ypbr3JdqtGh_irrqjAfKj-TM7LuIp6f45qMvJmvfHZeTTDDKAXi6riuJel-IkAI9QRvuVdcjF0J7f5JTGlIDoc3VeNr7kPnzuZGPL16wBI2T

We want to talk about the Canaanite faith too. We restored all Canaanite gods to vanilla status, although we maintained Ba’alat as an exclusive deity for Byblos (or the country that controls her Holy Site). We noticed too there were very few Economy gods. In vanilla, the only Economy gods are Melqart and Ba’alat, and Ba’alat is now an Exclusive so… We created two new Economy gods and slightly modified the Culture god Gad to make him fit as an Economy god too! Here you can see the new Gods:
dO7-sMbAbMgqeK8LZY03PxBtz9Md_iE3EZuf9W9tca__U6_QVjZrIK6TBHnSXeJR_sfWw3zVZMkMhfqJht1lG1sBSTNjS2MYhQIRMlLk6QJu94iLos3DI1D-8JW7vmZ5RbzYEYO2

Dagon has a passive effect of +10% National Tax and an Omen effect of +10% National Freeman Output. The Apotheosis effect will give 1 Freeman in the capital, 2 if the deity’s Finesse is at least 6 or 4 if the deity’s Finesse is at least 9.

Taautus has a passive effect of -5% Build Cost and an Omen effect of +12% Civic Tech Investment. The Apotheosis effect will give 15 Gold multiplied by the deity’s Finesse, with a minimum of 50 Gold and an additional 75 Gold if the deity has more than 10 Finesse.

As we said, we only slightly modified Gad to make him more fitting in the Economy category (because the Canaanite faith has too many Culture gods). We changed his passive effect from +4% Integrated Culture Happiness to +0.02 Monthly Stability Change. The Omen effect is -0.04 Monthly Corruption and for the Apotheosis, Gad gives +2.50 Civic Advances progress multiplied by the deity’s Finesse, with a minimum of +5 and a maximum of +25 Civic Advance.

And that’s all!

• 30Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
the next update will release most likely on the 9th of February
C'mon, now I have to rush my Achaea campaign. :p

These latter two tribes were personally confronted and defeated by the late Roman Emperor Theodosius as he attempted to defend the African Limes from incursion of Saharan tribes.
About those Saharan tribes, I hope you didn't put plenty of barbarian strongholds there as you did with Fezzan, because it may create same issues. If you didn't notice they create so many additional pops in that region that usually 50 years into the game Fezzan has from 100 to 200 more population than for example Upper Egypt. And that is quite.. weird.

Oh and a small note about Bangli heritage. They have jungle combat bonus for Light Infantry, the problem is, they don't have that type of units in their levy. No culture in that area has those. So unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem wad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks amazing. I have a request, because I'm slightly OCD. I always found it odd that the map has that disconnect between the area you now have as the long spit of Nectiberia that heads off northwest and the areas of Mauretania marked Visum Montis (and the one to its immediate west that I can't quite read), despite the fact that it's not obviously a mountain range according to the map's topography. (this is one of those features of the original map that were really jarring - like that random bit of Germania south of the upper danube). It looks like there's an area of green land suggesting they *should* link up (with the ?Sebou river running through). I was thinking - is there any chance of adding a region or two to join them up? I realise it's probably not a thing, but I figured there'd be no harm in asking. And as I was asking, i was thinking an area of uninhabited terrain (marked with green dashes) between Lambrija and the uninhabited terrain leading south through the desert might also be nice (and extending the uninhabited terrain/mountain passes in the west to add more interceonnectivity - also in green).
I realise these changes are largely aesthetic, but I figured I'd ask as a: I have no idea how to do it myself, and b: I figured it wouldn't be hugely difficult for you, and c: it wouldn't massively impact the game per se.
Apologies for the impertinence - this mod is amazing, and this update is great - I was thinking to myself just recently how cool it'd be to have a bit more going on in and around the Atlas mountains!
North Africa Mod Pic 2.jpg
North Africa Mod Pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This looks amazing. I have a request, because I'm slightly OCD. I always found it odd that the map has that disconnect between the area you now have as the long spit of Nectiberia that heads off northwest and the areas of Mauretania marked Visum Montis (and the one to its immediate west that I can't quite read), despite the fact that it's not obviously a mountain range according to the map's topography. (this is one of those features of the original map that were really jarring - like that random bit of Germania south of the upper danube). It looks like there's an area of green land suggesting they *should* link up (with the ?Sebou river running through). I was thinking - is there any chance of adding a region or two to join them up? I realise it's probably not a thing, but I figured there'd be no harm in asking.View attachment 801013
I was thinking about this as I drew the provinces and looked at the terrain. I may add a few provinces to this area before the update, as it was fertile land.

• 6Like
Reactions:
C'mon, now I have to rush my Achaea campaign. :p

About those Saharan tribes, I hope you didn't put plenty of barbarian strongholds there as you did with Fezzan, because it may create same issues. If you didn't notice they create so many additional pops in that region that usually 50 years into the game Fezzan has from 100 to 200 more population than for example Upper Egypt. And that is quite.. weird.

Oh and a small note about Bangli heritage. They have jungle combat bonus for Light Infantry, the problem is, they don't have that type of units in their levy. No culture in that area has those. So unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem wad.
I'll take a look it may be too many barbarian spawns, I can remove some of them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks - I've added a pic suggesting one or two tweaks to the various passes (see above - marked in Green). And thanks so much for listening!!! :)
Yes this was the exact area I was looking at before, I'll probably add some provinces to the upper portion of the river until it hits the mountains and desert.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hello, shocky27 here with the next map extensions (for Windows only) in Northwest Africa, specifically the Atlas Mountain region. A number of tribes are listed in this region from sources such as Hanno's Periplus, Pliny, Ptolemy and more, as well as a few other Punic settlements on the Atlantic coast, notably Arambys (later Roman Mogador). Let's get started!
(for Windows only) means the Microsoft thingy?
Are there differences in IR or this mod depending on the platform?

(for Windows only) means the Microsoft thingy?
Are there differences in IR or this mod depending on the platform?
That is because mac (linux idk) can't load the map changes beyond the ones on the current released version. These should be the only differences.

Reactions:
Fezzan is exclusive to this mod, isn't it? I can see the province on my Linux Steam native installation.
Fezzan is already out. The map changes that won't be on the mac version are those that come. The current ones aren't affected.