• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...phract-Unit-Visual-Fix&highlight=horse+archer

Thats the fix i was talking about. It changes the defines.lua, so i guess i have no choice other than wait for patch 2.1.7 , and GOD only knows when Paradox will release it :(

This broken my spirit, i feel like a peasant leader crushed in CK2 ......

I just checked and I see it hasn't been incorporated in HIP.
... No problem :p

Give me a minute and I'll update both versions to incorporate the fix.

EDIT: and it's done (updated at 0053hrs, UTC+8). the visual weight fix is now incorporated. redownload it with any of the old links and the new file should have it incorporated already :p
third time's the charm I guess.

Last edited:
Good job, how efficient sir!

Although i have bad news for us: it seems the fix only fixes the byzies cataphract model, not the special units of the rest of the world.

I think you should upload you hard-earned work to Steam Workshop asap, if the size limit allows it.

Tons of people will rate it 5/5

EDIT: take a look if you want, we are updating this topic

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...phract-Unit-Visual-Fix&highlight=horse+archer

Last edited:
Good job, how efficient sir!

Although i have bad news for us: it seems the fix only fixes the byzies cataphract model, not the special units of the rest of the world.

I think you should upload you hard-earned work to Steam Workshop asap, if the size limit allows it.

Tons of people will rate it 5/5

EDIT: take a look if you want, we are updating this topic

not much I can do about the other problems though, as they are out of scope of this mod (they involve changes to graphic culture, which can cause conflicts with other mods).

but yeah, I'll probably be uploading this mod to the workshop soon enough

alright, this mod is now available in the Steam Workshop as well. There's the Vanilla and HIP versions in separate items.
I'll still be prioritising updating this forum thread though, as this is still my primary lurking grounds. So updates may go live here before I update them in the workshop (not that there'd be a notable time differential anyway, as uploading to the workshop was easier than I thought ^_^

.... now if anyone could teach me how to change the bloody icon @_@
yay. everything's in order now.
if only there was a guide how to upload properly in the Steam Workshop in the first place....

Last edited:
v0C_VANILLA/HIP UPDATE

PHASE 1 UPDATE - version 0C_Vanilla and 0C_HIP released

Manual Download:
DOWNLOAD 0C_Vanilla
DOWNLOAD 0C_HIP
Workshop:
Vanilla
HIP

Release Notes:
0C:
added some missing edits to the defines.lua
minor localisation edit
standardized some stuff for the Workshop

OB:
All Skirmish Tactics are in and bug-fixed, but not fully fleshed out yet.
Still borrowed Six Gun South's Better Armies's tactics.
Added a new set of icons for tactics
Incorporated the hotfix for cataphracts showing up as horse archers

Known Issues:
HIP updated for v 2.854 with Project Balance, so some of PB's balances are implemented. Remove the defines.lua if you don't like PB's balance tweaking (and forgo the Unit Rebalance module as a result)
Better Armies tactics (ie. the melee filler tactics) were made pre-RoI, so elephants are not affected by melee tactics (skirmish tactics affect them though).
Since Better Armies tactics are used as the melee filler tactics, there may be some cultural incompatibilities that just results in some tactics not being chosen.

tsk. Updating it in the workshop was more convoluted than I initially thought it was.
And since I forgot to properly/completely update the defines.lua yesterday, I'm re-releasing this as a versioned update of sorts.

I might as well tweak the front page and add screenshots as well now that I'm at it :laugh:

edit: ugh. Now I'm having trouble updating the workshop version. what the heck is with this arcane shenanigans @_@
edit2: ugh. why does the workshop keep changing the formatting of my .mod file :(
I've re-uploaded v0C... yet again.
(1836, UTC+8)
edit3: ...
reuploaded again, bacause I used a slash instead of backslash in the .mod file.
(1842, UTC+8)
edit4:
reuploading again. it's almost fantastic how many times I could screw up in a row.
(1852, UTC+8)

Last edited:
I'm still sure that the HIP versioning is wrong and that they use dates for HIP as a whole and separate version numbers for the different mods, but good work anyway and I look forward to seeing more of this!

Last edited:
I'm still sure that the HIP versioning is wrong and that they use dates for HIP as a whole and separate version numbers for the different mods, but good work anyway!

yup 2.854 is latest standalone SWMH release number.
HIP uses dates indeed. latest release is 14th july's.
but it is not that important ;)

So continuing the unit discussion from the steamworks page....

Maybe it would be a good idea to first define what each trooptype is, then their role on the battlefield and their expected performance vs. other unit classes in each specific phase. Also maybe how they develop through the CKII time period.

LI=
The mass levies, like fyrdmen, city militia and the great mass of early feudal levies. Spear and shield for the most part, but significant minority of javelin and light bow armed men as well so good skirmish potential. Minimal training.

Role: skirmishing, flank security etc.

Matchup: Very vulnerable to both heavy horse, and mass archer formations. Mobile but with little staying power they can avoid HI but will lose quickly if forced to engage.

=> ?

Influence of Tech progression on matchups: can't really see any, they will get more heavily armed and armoured over time but are always a generation behind HI.

HI=

The semi-professional and professional non-noble warrior class. Huscarles, Sergeants and MAA. Armour ranging from mail/scale in the early and mid game period to partial plate in the late. Shields + Single handed swords, spears, axes etc. progressing gradually to 2 handed swords, halberds etc..

Role: carry the main brunt of the fight in melee phase.

Matchups: good defence vs. missile troops, heavy enough to deal with anything short of HC in melee, big advantage vs early pikes, slight advantage vs. mid pike, better attack but less def vs. late pikes, slow in pursuit.

Influence of Tech progression on matchups: This is tricky. Always well equipped and heavily armoured by contemporary standards. Over time they converged towards pike infantry, transitioning to shaft mounted weapons, 2 handed swords etc. This is further complicated by the fact that pike infantry, as a distinct class, is a late medieval invention and has no business being around in the 9th century. See notes below.

Pikes:

As mentioned, paradox created a bit of mess with this class since they really shouldn't exist as a distinct category for most of the game. I propose to view them in the early period as better quality fyrdmen/milita purely armed with spears, long spears etc., progressing to shaft mounted weapons and then ultimately pikes. The bolded bit important because they are always lower quality wise compared to HI. Ideally one could simulate this evolution by changing the tech modifiers. Use LI as base in the beginning with more moral. Less attack in skirmish, more defence in melee. Use the tech modifiers so they get moderate def boosts in mid and big def boosts in the late game. Skirmish values could be dealt with the same. Mediocre attack stays the same throughout, but fair def values degrade in mid and late game (loss of shield).

Role:
Early: LI with a bit better staying power. Secondary support for HI.
Late: defensive bedrock

Matchups:
Early: fair protection vs. missiles, can deal with anything except HI and HC in melee, rough equal to LC. Decent pursuit and retreat, but not as good as LI.
Late: vulnerable to missiles, can deal defensively with just about everything but limited offensive potential (too slow to catch anything), better def but worse attack compared to HI, bad retreat.

Influence of Tech progression on matchups: As mentioned above, huge.

More later...

v0C1_HIP-PB UPDATE

PHASE 1 UPDATE - version 0C1_HIP-PB released

DOWNLOAD 0C1_HIP-PB

Release Notes:
OC1:
updated to HIP 8-30-2014
(@loup99, yeah, you were indeed correct. That was the SWMH version number, my bad)

Known Issues:
HIP updated for 8-30-2014 with Project Balance, so some of PB's balances are implemented. Remove the defines.lua if you don't like PB's balance tweaking (and forgo the Unit Rebalance module as a result)
Better Armies tactics (ie. the melee filler tactics) were made pre-RoI, so elephants are not affected by melee tactics (skirmish tactics affect them though).
Since Better Armies tactics are used as the melee filler tactics, there may be some cultural incompatibilities that just results in some tactics not being chosen.

A minor update to incorporate HIP's (or rather, PB's) updates to their defines.lua.
I'm also changing the naming scheme from now on, so that it's more clearer.
(edit: tsk. apparently, I can't change the .mod file of the steam workshop file anymore. ah well, such shortsightedness. I guess I'll just change the download link names, but the .mod file will indicate "HIP" instead next time for simplicity. such trivialities...)

Anyway, to those using HIP without PB, you might as well download the vanilla version instead (since I don't think the other active modules tweak the defines.lua anyway).

(I'll also probably edit the description pages for both this thread and the workshop ... sometime in a while, I guess)

speaking of the workshop, I find it amusing how it's far more successful than this thread. I mean, look at it:
1540376_1527037637512110_4161589667723700142_o.jpg
the HIP-PB version has more than a 10k viewcount despite barely being a week, while this forum thread is barely beyond 1k despite being up for months :laugh:

ah whatever, I guess it was the timing...

@Adrian

I like a lot of the ideas you proposed, but the tech change though is a bit off the scope of this specific mod...

... not that I don't have plans to make a (modular) tech-tweak mod as well in the (far) future anyway, but I'd like to keep things as discrete as possible.

That said, I'll reply with more detail at another time, because I'm pressed for time right now to be able to give a reply your posts deserves...

Last edited:
Funny for the workshop. :p It is actually relatively rare that any big CK2 mod (or serious for the matter) is on the workshop but the Eu4 people seem to have a completely doifferent viewing point on it and the two major mods are on there (divided).

Funny for the workshop. :p It is actually relatively rare that any big CK2 mod (or serious for the matter) is on the workshop but the Eu4 people seem to have a completely doifferent viewing point on it and the two major mods are on there (divided).

I guess it has to do with culture? but perhaps timing really :p
the workshop for ck2 is relatively recent, and as such most established modders seem to primarily prefer the threads as their main distribution system, with the workshop primarily dominated by light-weight mods (the most intensive I've found so far is Diadochi Kings)

for eu4 however, the workshop pretty much came along with the game early on, so the presence there is just as strong :laugh:

not that I mind really. I mean, it's precisely that vacuum that allowed my mod to be noticed :laugh:
(the adoption rate is relatively low still anyway, around only 4% ... then again, it IS a WIP [even the description is hahaha] )

v0D_VANILLA/HIP UPDATE

PHASE 1 UPDATE - version 0D_Vanilla and 0D_HIP-PB released

Manual Download:
DOWNLOAD 0D_Vanilla
DOWNLOAD 0D_HIP-PB
Workshop:
Vanilla
HIP

Release Notes:
OD:
Updated to post-CM patch (v2.2.1)

0C:
added some missing edits to the defines.lua
minor localisation edit
standardized some stuff for the Workshop

OB:
All Skirmish Tactics are in and bug-fixed, but not fully fleshed out yet.
Still borrowed Six Gun South's Better Armies's tactics.
Added a new set of icons for tactics
Incorporated the hotfix for cataphracts showing up as horse archers

Known Issues:
Uses the 2014-11-02 release of HIP-PB, so some of PB's balances are implemented. Remove the defines.lua if you don't like PB's balance tweaking (and forgo the Unit Rebalance module as a result)

... yeah, all I did was update the defines. I'm also assuming that the 2014-11-02 HIP release is compatible with CK2 v.2.2.1 (IIRC there weren't any defines.lua changes anyway, but more of hard-code fixing on Paradox's part)
I'm not sure when I could resume coding the melee tactics (ie. phase II of this project) though, since my time will be dominated by adapting stuff for LI and working on my thesis prototype device, so... we'll see, I guess.

(the steamworks version will be updated in a while) it's updated now. ... not that it matters I guess

Last edited:
Delete the replace_path = common line in the .mod file.