• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you think you can crush the greeks, I would advise you to do that. It is never nice to have an powerful enemy at your back.

Though you have to consolidate your power base first..

Egypt is almost no more I see.:eek: I fear for your security with the Selucids to your east... OTOH, perhaps it's soon time for a new trip for Alexander's true heir?;) But in the mean time, I think you should ally with Carthage. A question: How easy is it for you to colonize your north, and is it smart? If it is, I vote for some colonizing, but only you know if it's a viable option.:)

You mean the big yellow blob I guess?;) Rome hasn't done anything to Egypt. Yet.

Just want to thank you for this AAR. I love Rome already it seems... :cool: :D

Lasse Nielsen said:
Rome will probably in the end be your biggest headache, perhaps an alliance with their strongest enemy? Carthage would probably be a nice ally. an alliance with rome would end up with you craving the same pieces of land (Illyria for instance) as them, better an allicance with your biggest rivals biggest enemy. that would help secure your back and let you expand werever you desire.

or it would drag him into a war with Rome he didnt desire..

kristoff said:
So Egypt is basically gone in 4 years after you started the game? Kinda scary. With this speed the big red blob will take everything civilized in few decades... I smell the need for balance tweaking here.

Personally, I have nothing against fast conquest and empires forming equally fast. Thing is, they should be equally easy to implode, sort of the way they do in CK, when monarch dies and sucessor is inadequate.

What would you say to the idea of finishing off Egypt? They undoubtedly have a rich single province left, and taking it could be its own reward. While you'd have to leave a garrison to put down revolts, it would likely pay for itself rather quickly, thus giving you enough money to stab a pig.

After Egypt is taken out of it's misery, you could make the rest of the Greek states your vassal [somehow, if possible], and use the money they'd give you to colonize to the north.

While doing this you'd need allies, of course, try to get wither the Secluid Empire or Carthage.

While my suggested actions have a danger inherent to them, I believe the long-term payoffs outweigh any troubles that might arise.

It looks to me that more attack wars would not be very smart at the moment since there is still the danger of some internal turmoil. But the southern Greek states are obviously the next target.
Is there any way to fabricate claims (cores) on neighbouring provinces? If yes, it would be good to do so for one of the Greek city-states. Even if it takes a while.

As for an alliance, I would prefer the Seleucids. They are strong, but not very likely to start any war soon, since they have to re-built their army. For the moment, they are far enough not to interfere with our actual interests. Both Rome and Cartage seem to me more likely to start a big war soon and then we would have to take sides or loose our ally.

And, of course, colonisation into Barbarian lands looks tempting. Is it realistic to start it already?

Who is king in Egypt these days? That dastardly throne stealer Ptolemy II? It's obviously Keraunos' duty to reclaim his inheritance!

Considering that Keraunos personally assassinatedSeleucus I won't his reputation with the Seleucids be rather low?

A question about the scenario setup:

Where are the Galatian hordes. And is Gonatas anywhere to be found at all? He should be clinging to the Fetters of Greece right now.

Last edited:
Cyprus is even better, closer to home and not a single province in a sea of Selucids.

Couple of quick points about the Egypt idea (it isn't impossible but require quite a bit of work). A fleet will be needed and off the top of my head Egypt has quite a few provinces still, the screen shot doesn't show the ones to the west in Cyrenica.

King said:
Couple of quick points about the Egypt idea (it isn't impossible but require quite a bit of work). A fleet will be needed and off the top of my head Egypt has quite a few provinces still, the screen shot doesn't show the ones to the west in Cyrenica.

Barbarians up north it is then!

And is there option to annex Greek cities peacefully? If there is, we should take advantage of the good relations.

Lots of scary stuff happening there. Ofc this is just a beta AAR. so balancing will continue. I just hope that Philadelphios going down that fast isn't usual phanomenon and happens just as often that Egypt rapes Seleukids. And that most of the times there is just generations of stalemate.

Are the one province minors in Greece very rich or is this just the return of "one province minors with ridiculous armies" from EU2 era?

How powerful is Rome compared to you? Are there events that make the more recently conquered Italian provinces to secede from the Italian alliance if Rome suffers defeats (ala Hannibal's campaing, and it should be even more propable at a date before 1st punic war)? And would they ally with successful Macedon?

As for the course of the AAR, unless you can hope to exploit Seleukids passing weakness in manpower, you should stick out of your future eastern provinces for now and concentrate on building powerbase in Italy and Greece. First take on the Romans imo, alone if you are powrful enough (and i do belive that Macedon in the start *should* be powerful enough to threathen the existance of the relatively new Roman hegemony in Italy), but allied with Carthage if you can't. Though at the moment a period of peace is what you need most.

How do CB's work in the game btw? You got big stab hit from the DoW on Pyrrhus so i assume you had no casus belli.

(Edit) Egypt construction tech of 0 in start? :eek: Doesn't that mean they can't even build roads?

Last edited:
Attacking Egypt seems a bad idea - you might get rich provinces, but you also get very strong neighbour (eventually unwanted war you're probably not ready for) and increase your BB further.

As in the east situation looks definitely in favour for Seleucids, I'd resist from going there, unless favourable situation occur. Alliance with Greeks seems a good idea - it will keep BB low, they are quite strong now and Illyrians pose an eventual threat of two-sides-war.

You seem to stand before a choice to determine strategy for a while. As your army looks far bigger then fleet, I'd go north. Colonize, maybe conquer Illyria. And start building fleet. Whoever you'll fight against, you're goona need a fleet. Strong one will allow you to keep in check Seleucids, Rome and Carthage (neither of which has land access to you), and exploit some situations (like adding rich islands - Rhodos - to your empire)...

hjarg said:
Barbarians up north it is then!

And is there option to annex Greek cities peacefully? If there is, we should take advantage of the good relations.

I agree...keep the main army in Greece...we can't risk some Tylis/Galatian kinsmen sweeping into the Greek mainland; plus we need to concentrate on stability and augmenting our treasury reserves.