• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
King, maybe try to disband some troops - it seems that we lose troops way too fast during war, i suspect many due to attrition. I'd focus more on navy and keep smaller army that we're able to reinforce. It's all about prolonged warfare we're not able to sustain..

Is it possible to GoI Carthage, Parthia and other Seleucid neighbours? If so - do it. CB is always a good thing ;)

Well it's hard to put a happy face on this venture. :( Though we did help in keeping Carthage viable, we obviously didn't reap any direct tangible reward. In hindsight, it would probably have been better to risk a DOW on Pontus and quickly capture Thrace and its surrounding provinces. We could then have tried for a quick peace. Back to the waiting game. Seleucia is proving to be disturbingly stable. We should avoid advancing into Seleucia unless they are in civil war. I think we can probably expect a visit from Seleucia in the not too distant future. Best prepare for it with an alliance with Parthia and Carthage. At least Carthage hates Seleucia now and this will be a constant threat that they have to keep in mind. Did our Greek allies provide good service?

I did not call the Greek allies. In this kind of war I ran the risk that the Seleucids would conquer and annex them and that was the last thing I wanted to happen. I much prefer them to fuel my war machine with money.

Assassinations are not easy and if I get discovered (even if sucessful), well the victims friends and family will not be pleased.

That would make sense. I was just asking about the feasibility. Personally, I think we should rebuild and wait for the danger of a civil war to pass or occur. I would put the army with the questionable general in an out of the way, and slightly less valuable province and let him sit there until he dies. Not on the frontier though. I don't want a repeat of last time.

Btw, how bad are our relations with Seleucia now?

This might be more of a general gameplay question so I understand if you don't answer, but since our Greek allies were neutral, if one of our armies entered their territory, could the Seleucid armies follow in hot pursuit without a DOW?

Though I am disappointed with the outcome of the war for Macedonia, I am delighted by the outcome for the game and AI. The AI seems to have figured out that we would naturally want the Pontic provinces and screwed up our plans by not calling them to war. In general, the AI Seleucia came out of this with quite a bit of honor and glory. In previous Paradox games, I would have expected to see us come out of a similar situation with a few provinces and some coin. This truely bodes well for the game.

I think it was important that the Seleucids didn't get more territory. It's good to see that the AI behaves sensibly in the way it's calling in allies.
For the next future I 'd say we go for consolidation first and then slowly improve our economy and increase the size of our navy.
Let's just wait for another opportunity to hit one of the big guys, Rome and Seleucids. Carthage is far enough away from us to be no major threat, so we should try to win her as an ally.

Hmm, it looks like Seleukia has already achieved status similar to Russia in EU3 or UK in Victoria - unless you conquer 100+ their provinces you will not be able to squeeze even one province from them in a peace treaty...

Allying with Carthago still seems sensible option. In case of future defensive or offensive wars with Seleukia they can at least harass the behemot with the second front. The same in case of Roman-Makedonian war. There are no more serious potential allies besides Carthago - Egypt was already beaten several times, Parthia seems annexable within a month or so, others are even weaker.

Yeah, I think a major civil war is our only hope to knock Seleucia down a peg.

Some issues, not sure I mentioned it but I never keep an army over 6 regiments, otherwise attition will eat it alive. Not sure how big the Selucid armies were but it seems you only had 4 armies in all of Asia Minor which means that they have about 18 regiments per army.

Second, I thought we were declaring war on Pontus and making a land grab and if Selucia decided to get involved then we'd be fighting both, not the other way around.

Third, I thought we were going to sacrifice to the gods, to see if this war had good omens. Did we do that?

Fourth, everytime I want to post in this forum I have to log in again. It does happen in any other part of the forums, so I'm wondering if something is making me loose my log in cookie or whatever its called, am I the only one with this problem or is anyone else loosing the password each time they want to post here as well.

I'm not having the login problem.

Yes, DOW against Pontus was the consensus, but because of alliances, King declared against Seleucia. The fact that Seleucia didn't call on Pontus sorta screwed up our warplan from the getgo. The omen was a 50/50 chance, so it was quite a gamble.

rasmus40 said:
In that case we might as well declare war on the Seleucids. There is no reason to risk a war with all three when it can be easily avoided. The only thing that could change this for me is if we can save a stab hit or two by declaring war on Pontus instead.

Thanks for the info.
I just re-read all some of the posts. I now realize that we have this guy to blame for this war. We should have declared on the Bosporan Kingdom and actually gained something from both them and Pontus, instead of this fiasco with the Selucids.

From now on, you are not to speak in council. :p [You have been exiled to a penal colony. Your shame is irreversible.] (See jeering crowds.)

Editorial note: Be glad we are not playing Rome, or there'd be a curcifixion in your future. :rofl:

Last edited:
SonofWinter said:
Fourth, everytime I want to post in this forum I have to log in again. It does happen in any other part of the forums, so I'm wondering if something is making me loose my log in cookie or whatever its called, am I the only one with this problem or is anyone else loosing the password each time they want to post here as well.

Same here, it only happens in the Rome AAR forums. I re-logged in yesterday though, and it seems to be keeping me in.

As for the recent war, it was certainly interesting. Although we lost a lot in terms of manpower and I suspect funds, we've at least found that the Seleucid's are not as powerful as they appear. They were the ones offering the peace after all, and that tends to show the AI is under a lot of pressure. Just finding that we can grind a major power to a halt despite it's larger size is a good gain for me.

Still, we should wait until they appear to be in much larger trouble to advance on them again.

Only times I get logged out on this forums, is when I open a link to another part of the forum. That tends to log me out in that particular window, but not from the old.

'Scuse me, but we're not the dumb ai. Just because the Seleucids didn't call the pontics in, did not mean Macedonwe could not have turned round and DoWed them. Sending troops into the empire in such numbers was a waste of troops. Having the Seleucids annex the greek allies is one way to get the provinces off them in peace. Any one who knows anything about the historical Seleucids knows that there are only two cities of any importance - Seleucia and Antioch founded by father and son respectively. Antioch is on the coast and would have needed only one army of 12,000 to take. then march on Seleucia. Reinforcing that army with light troops to stop neighbouring provinces raising troops would have been cheaper too. If the game mirrors history in any way, and the parthia Beta AAR suggests that it does, the Seleucids should pull everything it has to try to retake those two provinces. They should be more readily prepared to release or cede territory.

If Meacedonia does DoW Pontus now and the Seleucids honour thre call to war, the Seleucids would get so many negatives, their armies woudldn't have any morale to fight battles. That not so loyal general might obey the order to attack Pontus.

Uh, Chief? Two things.

First, declaring war on Pontus would have brought in the Bosporans too. Three wars.

Second, Seleucids have taken all of Syria and Egypt. They control Alexandria, Damascus, all of southern Anatolia. You may forget that, in this game, they have become much more than the rump state that they often were in history.

This entire war was a G. Bush war. A political war, that brought nothing but ruin and cost us blood and treasure. From now on, we fight wars for gains, not for backing some neighbor who might not be able to defend himself. If there is nothing to be gained from a war, we don't fight. Bosphorus is our next target after we have regained stability and peace in our lands. Also, lets not keep having all of our armies under 1 general. We can't take the attrition and we can't take the risk of a civil war because one man has control of half of our army.

SonofWinter, your point is taken yet you misunderstand the nature of our intervention.

It was a war for our own gain. That this goal was not wholly attained does not change the facts that:

1. We went to war to limit Seleucid advancement.
2. Serving Carthage helps us maintain pressure on those who threaten us.

It was no political war. We fought as independents. Keep the rhetoric down.

I am not sure why some people say this war was lost. This is like fighting any blob in EU series. The first war is hard and you're lucky if you get out of it without a loss. Second war you gain a province or two. Third or fourth, the enemy empire suddenly collapses.

Yes, this was no disaster, just a disappointment. I would have been disappointed with the AI if we could just blitzkrieg through Anatolia. The problem is that Seleucia is very wealthy, large, and has strong allies; while we have limited manpower, meagre wealth, and no strong allies. A major civil war in Seleucia or a major Carthagenian offensive through N. Africa will be our next chance. Hopefully, if Seleucia attacks us, Carthage will seize the opportunity to attack Seleucia.

I am not surprised by the results of the war. But it did save a nation that is our logical ally. I think we should make that alliance happen ASAP. They would be great agianst Rome (Which they have fought to a standstill before) and the Asian Despots. (They may have been Greek at one time but lets be clear they are Barbarians now).

All and all it was a success. Lets expand our power were we can and wait for our chance.

(Was glad to see the AI land troops and make the attempt to knock us out of the war!)