• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Erm, there are less than 300 generals in the whole game.
Some are either dead or in the wrong time frame (Muto Nobuyoshi or Augusto Rademaker, the latter shuld be replaced by Henrique Aristides Guilhem).

What you guys need are lists of important people (Chiefs of Staff, etc.) to make sure you have the most important ones. As already mentioned, just look at Italy.

I'd say there's an impressive number of unit commanders!

Also keep in mind that each major and several minors have historical military ministers, strategists and chiefs of staff represented in ways that are not as unit commanders.

Reactions:
I don't believe the lack of air commanders will significantly detract from your gameplay experience, but for all I know it could be the only thing that matters to you personally.

No Air Commanders and, according to the WWW's, no ability to rename Air wings either. Sorry, but yes, that WILL detract from my enjoyment considerably. There is a lot going on with HOi 4 that I like, but the approach with the Commanders and the OOB/Chain of command are NOT amongst them. HOI 3 had it's flaws, but it did this side of things much better, even if it did arguably go too far the other way and overdid the chain of Command. HOI 4 , to my eyes, has overcompensated by a long margin, and made the Commanders/chain of command too SIMPLE. Too gamey.

I am praying for rapid patches/updates to fix these issues. I won't know until I actually play of course, but the approach I see right now is very off-putting for me.

Of course, that's just me, and the majority might well disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions:
...HOI 3 had it's flaws, but it did this side of things much better, even if it did arguably go too far the other way and overdid the chain of Command. HOI 4 , to my eyes, has overcompensated by a long margin, and made the Commanders/chain of command too SIMPLE. Too gamey...

Yes, I also think they overcompensated too much.

Without keeping divisional commanders they could have at least implemented 3 levels of command: corps (up to 5), army (up to 20-25) and Army group/Theater (unlimited).

With corps as the starting commanding level you already divide the number of commanders by 5, but still keep a lot of historical commanders for flavour and gameplay.

Reactions:
Come on guys, you can do better.

This is a somewhat common sentiment, so please remember that we are also making everything else in the game at the same time.

Spending more time on commanders than we have so far would mean spending less time on other things.

It's never a question of "A then B then C then the game is complete." We want to make every aspect of the game as good as possible, but we also have to make choices about where the resources we have are best spent to make a great game.

Reactions:
This is a somewhat common sentiment, so please remember that we are also making everything else in the game at the same time...

I think the recent forum grumble increase - mine included - is proportional to the eagerness we have to finally get our hands on the game.

Don't take it too personal. If you deliver a decent game many minor sins will be forgotten and praise will replace grumbling. Most of us will soon spread Paradox gospel !

EDIT: Yours sins will be forgotten, if you fix what needs to be.

Last edited:
Why are 4 obscure junior officers, field marshals in 1936, for China. Why not choose Chiang Kai Shek, Chen Cheng, Li Zongren, Bai Chongxi, Ma Hongbin, Yan Xishan, you know, people leading hundreds of thousands of soldiers under the Chinese Nationalist Army Banner, not you-know, a thousand troops instead.

I think its hilarious that the WAR-lords of China, are not the generals and field marshals. They were after-all WAR-lords, people with political power because they had control of powerful forces. Li Zongren and Bai Chongxi held important military positions commanding hundreds of thousands of quality soldiers. Yet my army of 2,000,000 soldiers is being led by division commanders in 36', the lowest of the low in rank.

Why are warlords ... not generals, and why isn't Chiang Kai Shek a field marshal. He was after all - Generalismo Chiang Kai Shek. This is twice as funny, because you guys use the fact that they were warlords in the Nationalist Chinese Army, to justify breaking China up into 7 pieces ahistorically, but you don't give them their position and title in the game, which is the basis of their power. and the reason China had infighting, something you represent in the game by dividing China up into different countries.

I think the recent forum grumble increase - mine included - is proportional to the eagerness we have to finally get our hands on the game.

Don't take it too personal. If you deliver a decent game many minor sins will be forgotten and praise will replace grumbling. Most of us will soon spread Paradox gospel !

Not really. You see i and others spent thousands of hours to fix the database of HoI2 - AoD. Now it seems that PDS recreates a lot of mistakes. That is simply frustrating.
I did not want to offend VoffVoffhunden personally since i know the ammount of work even if there are only 600 images and persons.
Its just that PDS should look into mods and see what those people have fixed already before reinventing the wheel.

@Voffvoffhunden : Sorry if i sounded rude. Those people who created that list need some guidance, though. That is obvious.

Reactions:
Why are 4 obscure junior officers, field marshals in 1936, for China. Why not choose Chiang Kai Shek, Chen Cheng, Li Zongren, Bai Chongxi, Ma Hongbin, Yan Xishan, you know, people leading hundreds of thousands of soldiers under the Chinese Nationalist Army Banner, not you-know, a thousand troops instead.

I think its hilarious that the WAR-lords of China, are not the generals and field marshals. They were after-all WAR-lords, people with political power because they had control of powerful forces. Li Zongren and Bai Chongxi held important military positions commanding hundreds of thousands of quality soldiers. Yet my army of 2,000,000 soldiers is being led by division commanders in 36', the lowest of the low in rank.

Why are warlords ... not generals, and why isn't Chiang Kai Shek a field marshal. He was after all - Generalismo Chiang Kai Shek. This is twice as funny, because you guys use the fact that they were warlords in the Nationalist Chinese Army, to justify breaking China up into 7 pieces ahistorically, but you don't give them their position and title in the game, which is the basis of their power. and the reason China had infighting, something you represent in the game by dividing China up into different countries.
I'd add Wai Lihuang and Chen Shaokuan. + use pinyin instead of Wade-Giles, maybe.

Not really. You see i and others spent thousands of hours to fix the database of HoI2 - AoD. Now it seems that PDS recreates a lot of mistakes. That is simply frustrating...

I do agree with you, I was implying their sins would be forgotten if they sincerely repent - that is if correct their mistakes.

My first reproach was about the sheer number of generals lacking for some countries. I even made a thread about it.

Reactions:
What the hell...
Netherlands have an airforce general as starting commander for the army, and they made him a 'panzer leader', whereas the actual Duth army had one, one single tank when the Germans invaded.

Reactions:
Don't worry, it didn't offend!

I just like pointing out how much goes into the game, as I know that when you're on the outside you have a completely different perspective from people on the project.

That's also means it's important for us to get input from the actual people enjoying the game out in the wild, so keep posting and commenting on the things you consider issues!
Just remember that we already really want to fix EVERYTHING, so if there's something that's not perfect it's because we've spent a lot of time making other aspects as great as possible.

But keep the feedback coming!

Reactions:
Heinz Guderian shouls be a 5. He wrote Achtung Panzer, he is basically one of the inventors of modern tank warfare during WW2. In my opinion one of the top 5 German generals. Tactically brilliant, his only problem was that Hitler did not like his strong opinion about things that he did not like. If it weren't for Hitler and bad decision making, Guderian would have single handedly taken Moscow with his Panzergruppe while it was still possible early on.

It's also worth pointing out that it may well be that the reason a few 'obvious' suspects may be missing is that they are probably ministers. A list of ministers on the Wiki would be great, actually.

@Voffvoffhunden ?

Heinz Guderian shouls be a 5. He wrote Achtung Panzer, he is basically one of the inventors of modern tank warfare during WW2. In my opinion one of the top 5 German generals. Tactically brilliant, his only problem was that Hitler did not like his strong opinion about things that he did not like. If it weren't for Hitler and bad decision making, Guderian would have single handedly taken Moscow with his Panzergruppe while it was still possible early on.

Yeah, if anyone Guderian and specially Manstein should be 5, IMHO. Specially considering that the UK has 3 generals and 1 field marshal (!) with 5 stars.

Germany can only have skill 3 marshals.

At least Germany has enough high skill generals without traits that can be transformed to marshals without too much of a penalty.

And yes, Model also should be set higher and should have something like Defensive Doctrine.

I also don't understand, why Dönitz is a skill 5. He was more of an organizer, since you can't really "lead" a submarine force in the way, you can lead a surface fleet.

This is good news that commanders will be looked at in the future, but in terms of minors, I think they should have multiple choices to at least vary the tactic styles. For example, Greece only has one general with the hill fighter trait, but it would be nice to have commanders with say, the offensive doctrine trait or defensive doctrine trait so you can vary your play styles and compliment them with the appropriate generals.

Another concern of mine is how new generals will be implemented. For me, the only reasonable strategy would be to put them in free patches or fit in with the bigger expansions. Presumably mods adding new generals will be added soon, so what would be the incentive for players to buy commander packs from Paradox as DLC?

Reactions: