• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do note though. To achieve Atwix levels of Micro, you will need to go full hardcore like him and become a cyborg. Granted, it takes him like 3 months to complete a campaign because he plays at such a snail speed due to focusing on so much :p

One question, is there a reason why you barely use cavalry? In most of your armies it seems you have 1-2 k with the infantry/cannons being roughly equal at like 20-30k each?

edit: nevermind. answered by sidekick Tom. Glad you read the AAR, and maybe read the other ones too.

I suspect its a micro thing. Often if you end up building optimal amounts of cavalry for flanking you end up with massively over-cav armies once you end up merging / consolidating.

this is the reason, in short. Managing perfect amount of cavalry in each army tends to get aggravating if you conquer the world the way I do...

Do note though. To achieve Atwix levels of Micro, you will need to go full hardcore like him and become a cyborg. Granted, it takes him like 3 months to complete a campaign because he plays at such a snail speed due to focusing on so much :p

I could say I play few hours a week, but that would be a lie.

The reason is the above.

My micro makes me win impossible wars (coalition war and force PU Austria+England at once in Naxos AAR, the first wars versus entire India at once in Jangladesh AAR), and that NEEDS snail pace play annd loads of pauses from popups.

Not to mention the theorycrafting I do during wars, due to nation X declaring on nation Y, which dishonors alliance, which makes nation Y easy target and so on and so on.

But... I enjoy it.

"Micromanaging and manoeuvring never cease to interest me" if I may quote myself.

I get my kick out of it, and I suppose the dopamine production is linked to micromanaging being successfull without using exploits. If I did, I would lose interest fast in my ongoing campaigns..

Last edited:
Central africa, not east africa :p

Central Africa = Kongo area. Great lakes region as well, but recommending the new kongo area over the great lakes.

With Mare Nostrum active Central Africa can trivially buy maps, you do see East Africa at the start and all it takes is slapping a rivalry on Mutapa or something to buy maps up to Mamluks, or alternatively 60 spy power on a rival Kilwa to steal them. Even without it you can reach into East Africa, though winning those wars on very hard would require some lucky draws most likely.

Busoga and Kuba have achievements, and Busoga is a (tribal) republic!

With Mare Nostrum active Central Africa can trivially buy maps, you do see East Africa at the start and all it takes is slapping a rivalry on Mutapa or something to buy maps up to Mamluks, or alternatively 60 spy power on a rival Kilwa to steal them. Even without it you can reach into East Africa, though winning those wars on very hard would require some lucky draws most likely.

Busoga and Kuba have achievements, and Busoga is a (tribal) republic!

welcome to AARland @TheMeInTeam

Seems you finally lost your probation status ;)

Yeah, I think Central Africa is more of an achievement spot rather then a place to start full campaign.

What do you think?

Will native American tribes be nice to play in 1.18?

Yeah, I think Central Africa is more of an achievement spot rather then a place to start full campaign.

What do you think?

The details of institution spread, sight picture of tech groups, speed of European colonization in what will be a very different environment (faster = better for natives) are among major factors that can drastically change whether they're nice or not, given what we know now. What lets them build ships? Do native councils really only get 50% tech penalty initially now (if so, what is their final idea for each category?) If a player games it by supercharging a province's development and gouging buildings for cash, could they conceivably run institutions very early? Is the 6/6/6 tech reform a non-false choice as a result of a massively reduced initial tech cost and altered native reform boost?

For me to make an estimation about how they'll play out next patch, I would have to make a guess at the answers to each of the above, plus more I haven't considered. I'm not foolish enough to believe I can do that accurately from my current knowledge :p. It would be challenging if I had the numbers for everything above, but at least then I could make an educated guess. With what I know right now? No way haha.

Still finishing up this AAR. Just finished up chapter 16. As a heads up Chapter 10 link on the OP points to a reply to that chapter rather than the post itself. That said, you mentioned in Chapter 15 you didn't know the math behind the RCC. Admin efficiency is multiplicative, everything else is additive unless I'm forgetting another multiplicative RCC modifier. Been awhile so I could be off. But using an example so people can tell me if I'm off in my math / rationale or not. So if 30% multiplicative and 15% additive, then RCC would = 40.5%. Formula would be 100%-15% = 85%. Then you take 85% * 30% = 25.5% and add the 15% already taken to get your 40.5% RCC. Alternatively you can do 100% - 15% = 85% * 70% = 59.5% which is the amount you pay. The latter saves a step for calculating how much something will cost coring wise. The former formula would be 100%-40.5% = 59.5% * Core Cost of Province. The latter would just be Core Cost of Province * 59.5%.

Make sense?

What do you think?

I disagree on the achievement spot. Central Africa (as a minor in central africa) imo is a great place to start a full campaign. You have several options to expand direction wise which is why it's a good choice in my opinion. West you get europeans + west africans, East (technically north east) you get Horn of Africa, Arabia, and India, North you get Egypt, the Levant, and anatolia, South you have Madagascar, Mutapan Gold Mines, and the Cape if you decide to colonize.

The details of institution spread, sight picture of tech groups, speed of European colonization in what will be a very different environment (faster = better for natives) are among major factors that can drastically change whether they're nice or not, given what we know now. What lets them build ships? Do native councils really only get 50% tech penalty initially now (if so, what is their final idea for each category?) If a player games it by supercharging a province's development and gouging buildings for cash, could they conceivably run institutions very early? Is the 6/6/6 tech reform a non-false choice as a result of a massively reduced initial tech cost and altered native reform boost?

For me to make an estimation about how they'll play out next patch, I would have to make a guess at the answers to each of the above, plus more I haven't considered. I'm not foolish enough to believe I can do that accurately from my current knowledge :p. It would be challenging if I had the numbers for everything above, but at least then I could make an educated guess. With what I know right now? No way haha.

Granted, as you said it's guesswork as it currently stands. But my base assumption is that Natives will either be able to build boats and colonize like normal at the start of the game now or they'll have restrictions tied to their government type that will change once they reform to Europeans. My money is on the latter, although I'd love the former.

50% tech penalty only is confirmed according to the Dev MP - Tribal nations are the only nations who don't start with Feudalism which Jake specifically included the Americans as Tribal Nations. Feudalism won't grow until a non-tribal government gets a province nearby. Renaissance however will start ticking on any province with 20+ development. Central America will likely be the easiest way to get the renaissance ticking in the americas. The 3 cities that are important to the Aztecs I believe all start fairly close to 20 Development. Around the time Colonialism spawns will be when the Americans will likely be getting both Feudalism + Colonialism institutions since Colonialism will likely come around the time that the Europeans will be colonizing the americas. Reforming to a european means you get their adopted institutions for free. So the Americas could end up being a lot more fun to play assuming they can build boats and colonize like normal again since it means you'd likely be sitting on a 50-80% tech penalty until the Europeans showed up. So you'd be able to fight the europeans toe to toe since you'd have equal military tech and be able to have a choice of when to reform - when you encounter the europeans if they have feudalism + colonialism for 2 free institution embraces or wait to reform until the printing press is embraced since it likely wouldn't spread the americas for some time if it's supposed to spawn in protestant northern europe. If you decided to wait for printing presses you'd likely be able to embrace Feudalism + colonialism (especially the latter) fairly easily / fast.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth. From what I can tell from the Dev MPs - each institution = 50% increase to tech cost at maximum. And it looks like from the GH at least that when you embrace an institution it resets your tech penalty to 0% and then ticks back up for what you don't have embraced. By the GH example - from what I remember they embraced Feudalism while the Renaissance was active and embraced elsewhere and after they embraced Feudalism their tech costs reset to 0% instead of just -50%. So lots of theory, nothing set in stone for another month.

Woot, triple post.

Just wrapped up the AAR (great way to spend my work time, I know). Excellent job. Was thinking you wouldn't get the one-tag at the end to be completely honest. Especially since you hid the date for Mali and Timbuktu annexations before the final reveal.

Was interesting to see there still be a challenge for you after owning most of Asia. Great job per usual :)

Still finishing up this AAR. Just finished up chapter 16. As a heads up Chapter 10 link on the OP points to a reply to that chapter rather than the post itself. That said, you mentioned in Chapter 15 you didn't know the math behind the RCC. Admin efficiency is multiplicative, everything else is additive unless I'm forgetting another multiplicative RCC modifier. Been awhile so I could be off. But using an example so people can tell me if I'm off in my math / rationale or not. So if 30% multiplicative and 15% additive, then RCC would = 40.5%. Formula would be 100%-15% = 85%. Then you take 85% * 30% = 25.5% and add the 15% already taken to get your 40.5% RCC. Alternatively you can do 100% - 15% = 85% * 70% = 59.5% which is the amount you pay. The latter saves a step for calculating how much something will cost coring wise. The former formula would be 100%-40.5% = 59.5% * Core Cost of Province. The latter would just be Core Cost of Province * 59.5%.

Make sense?

yes, thanks.

I'll never be good with the mechanics behind EU4.

I use gut feeling after understanding a mechanic, without delving into how it exactly works/what formulae it uses :)

I disagree on the achievement spot. Central Africa (as a minor in central africa) imo is a great place to start a full campaign. You have several options to expand direction wise which is why it's a good choice in my opinion. West you get europeans + west africans, East (technically north east) you get Horn of Africa, Arabia, and India, North you get Egypt, the Levant, and anatolia, South you have Madagascar, Mutapan Gold Mines, and the Cape if you decide to colonize.

I'll likely go for christianity and game of thrones again then, if playing there. Don't know if people are waiting for another round of that :)

Then again, 1.18 does have new fetishist mechanics. If one of the cults has good missionary strength.... Who knows, then even fetishist one faith might be possible.

Feudalism won't grow until a non-tribal government gets a province nearby. Renaissance however will start ticking on any province with 20+ development.

Didn't they say you can't get rennaissance ticking before you accepted Feudalism? Its is confusing.

Anyways, I am considering starting as Haida/Chinook/Salish, one of the northwest pacific native american tribes. If any, I think THEY are the hardest nations to WC with on the map.

Woot, triple post.
Just wrapped up the AAR (great way to spend my work time, I know). Excellent job. Was thinking you wouldn't get the one-tag at the end to be completely honest. Especially since you hid the date for Mali and Timbuktu annexations before the final reveal.
Was interesting to see there still be a challenge for you after owning most of Asia. Great job per usual :)

I never was in any real danger. The only thing stopping me from annexing Africa was too few admin points. Which is why I had to stall their annexation.

AAR are GREAT for reading at work, as watching streams at work is tad bit more difficult ;)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Really nice AAR, atwix.

I am looking for final developement level in old world with ai bonus setup in order to theorycraft next campaign. Developement level in old worlds seems not matched to my experience. 1760 one-tag wc with normal / older patch resulted in 20.5k developement in old worlds. It seems like less than 20k in your case. Have a question, did you turn off Common sense? or Is there any big change in MP or dev mechanics that I missed since CS?

Really nice AAR, atwix.

I am looking for final developement level in old world with ai bonus setup in order to theorycraft next campaign. Developement level in old worlds seems not matched to my experience. 1760 one-tag wc with normal / older patch resulted in 20.5k developement in old worlds. It seems like less than 20k in your case. Have a question, did you turn off Common sense? or Is there any big change in MP or dev mechanics that I missed since CS?

I think it happens because I constantly core stuff from the beginning, for one tag purposes. Hence, whoever I ate can't develop

Common Sense isn't off.

I did wonder why Europe wasn't developed a lot in this Jangladesh campaign, considering I left Europe alone for so long.

So, I honestly got no clue.

Maybe it is the very hard difficulty. Nations tend to eat others more often, nations tend to blob more often, and big tags can get reduced to rubble and OPM can grow big, and fall again.

Maybe the AI spends lot more on coring, so it doesn't develop.

I got no real straight answers...

Maybe it is the very hard difficulty. Nations tend to eat others more often, nations tend to blob more often, and big tags can get reduced to rubble and OPM can grow big, and fall again. Maybe the AI spends lot more on coring, so it doesn't develop.

It is really strange.
I was playing custom nations with AI bonus 1.17 and found these in 1511

68wcGi7.jpg

X9oJj9M.jpg

This developement madness only in 1511 is why I am looking for any reference. I am really considering restart new custom nation with RCC :(

watching DDRJAKE playing on very hard..

Makes me wonder if Common Sense WAS enabled for this Jangladesh campaign. Seems development is indeed lowish compared to other very hard runs.

I should check it really, as I realised (wealth of nations) edit: El Dorado was also off for this campaign...

edit: it WAS on, as I remember using paid features from Common Sense in this camapign, like returning core for 10 prestige loss.

@trojan1234 So..... I got no clue why AI didn't develop a lot in my campaign here.

Last edited:
Why was Wealth of Nations off during your run if I may ask? I always thought you enabled ALL DLC's, if only it was to promote them ;).

Why was Wealth of Nations off during your run if I may ask? I always thought you enabled ALL DLC's, if only it was to promote them ;).

Nevermind, I meant El Dorado. I keep it off to be able to explore manually. Never liked explorer misions. Then again, I probably should just enable all DLC.

Then again, I probably should just enable all DLC.
Or maybe none at all :p... Yeah I'm going to shut up on the matter, I'll be glad enough when 1.19 comes out. Also, how on earth are you going to expand as Chinook :eek:? There is only Haida which you can conquer, after that it's all wastelands. Man, I can't wait till 1.19 :D!

Or maybe none at all :p... Yeah I'm going to shut up on the matter, I'll be glad enough when 1.19 comes out. Also, how on earth are you going to expand as Chinook :eek:? There is only Haida which you can conquer, after that it's all wastelands. Man, I can't wait till 1.19 :D!

I think I'll give Salish a go, they are 1/1/1 development nation.

Call the campaign "Montana natives defiant!" or something like that.

Honestly, I can't think of a harder nation on the map to do a WC with.

If i do so, then I'll need @TheMeInTeam as advisor most likely...

For instance, I know going -3 stab increased speed of being able to migrate before, but now? Honestly its been since 1.6 or so that I played in America.I don't even know if you can vassalise other tribes and still be able to migrate and stuff like that.

If i try this, it will likely need good knowledge of all this, and a plan.

So, @TheMeInTeam will likely be good help there ;)

I was thinking... Why not migrate south to Mexico? Flip nahuatl, reform religion and whatnot. And then sacrifice European colonists.

Or something.

Last edited: