Is there much reason to Core your New World territories?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ayn Mandarb

Lt. General
5 Badges
Sep 24, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
It doesn't take much AMP each but if you're founding lots then it adds up. But what advantage does coring actually given for any New World territories?

Tax isn't much of an issue because of the Distant Overseas -90% penalty anyway - and the negligble tax you can get over that penalty is dwarfed by other sources of income. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to Tariffs. They don't cause Overextension. Revolt Risk doesn't seem to be affected.

So why bother?

I think you should core some at least, on the off chance that you may need to raise troops there.

Coring does help. First, it's cheap. Even the most expensive colonies are about 10 ADM, but most are 2-4. Yes, it adds up, but with decent rulers and advisors you can still stay at or near the technology curve and still core. Second, it does raise your income. There's a non-core penalty to income, but coring will give you a little bit of cash every month. It will then grow with the colony and over time you'll get the benefits. Third, you can build structures, including the almighty trade line of buildings. Fourth, it cuts down on some rebellion possibilities. Fifth, it makes it more difficult for other European powers to claim or attack.

Just notice you don't get Manpower if its not Core due to the other penalties, coring gives some Manpower.

Not sure whether or not it helps with Force Limits. What deteremines Force Limits? I just see a generic "Provinces" and "Ports" description respectively but don't see how that's figured out.

Um, distant overseas tax penalty is -90% and core bonus is 75%. Distant overseas tax with a core is -15%, no? I think it's worth it.
No. City is +25% and Core is +75% but Distant Overseas is -90% so tax is 10% of base (not -10%).

It's a complete waste, you get 1 or 2 cores in every area you have so you can raise troops and extend your range etc etc....
Because coring times increases by 5% for every core you have....
Pasted from the defines.lua;

"CORE_TIME_SIZE_MODIFIER = 0.05, -- 5% longer per province owned."

Coring does help. First, it's cheap. Even the most expensive colonies are about 10 ADM, but most are 2-4. Yes, it adds up, but with decent rulers and advisors you can still stay at or near the technology curve and still core. Second, it does raise your income. There's a non-core penalty to income, but coring will give you a little bit of cash every month. It will then grow with the colony and over time you'll get the benefits. Third, you can build structures, including the almighty trade line of buildings. Fourth, it cuts down on some rebellion possibilities. Fifth, it makes it more difficult for other European powers to claim or attack.

6th it extends your colonial and trade ranges. Can't build colonies in the spice islands without having cores on colonies closer to your capital.

It's a complete waste, you get 1 or 2 cores in every area you have so you can raise troops and extend your range etc etc....

1. It says "per provicne owned" not "per CORE province owned."
2. Overseas provinces (of your culture?) don't count for that.

This is a case of people having to judge if the extra time is worth it. I think it is because it costs me almost nothing to core a province and I get benefits.

1. It says "per provicne owned" not "per CORE province owned."
2. Overseas provinces (of your culture?) don't count for that.

which further strengthens my opinion that its better to core. But then others might disagree.