• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uhm I don't get anything of what he says in the video...
He does say something like "popcörn" and "stick it in microwave" I think. And what he says "Helloo. Yeeeah... Nhou!" when speaking at the phone.

Skall! Or something.

This is probably a very stupid question, but,
how do you all understand one another.

I don't mean like how does Johan understand Fredrick, but how does some random from Vaxjo understand some random from Trondheim and how do they understand some random from Aarhus?

Are the languages that close to one another? And if they are (here comes the stupid question bit) how do you know they are actually different languages?

Because arguably, at the core they are simply very pronounced dialects of a common language, which over time have evolved into more unique and distinguished languages. If one speaks slow and clear enough, it is still possible for a Swede to understand a Dane (or a Norwegian and vice versa) on very rough level, but anything that is not simple greeting or sentence will most likely fly over their heads.

Reactions:
well some words are the same kind of. and some times the same word have different meenings...
but we more or less used to be the same peaple.
in spite of meny wars. sweden denmark. meny wars....

Can you stop spelling Växjö as Växsjö in the swedish one?

Also let's not get carried away with understanding each other, I live in Skåne but I don't understand a word of danish. Sure if they try to speak clearly maybee but the wya they speak to each other... German and Dutch are easier to understand than danish.

Honestly it's not so strange many of the slavic languages have a similiar understanding of each other.

Reactions:
I lived there for three years, its Växjö.

haha I had forgotten they call themselves europe's greenest city. We used to joke it's because there's moss growing on everything.

So if you guys can pretty much all understand each other, then I have a question. If someone outside Scandinavia were to learn either Danish, Norwegian or Swedish, would he be able to understand the other 2 as well during conversations?

To some degree, yes. But growing up with a language and learning it as an adult are two very different things. I reckon you would probably understand the others about as much as you would understand Portuguese if you learned Spanish.

Reactions:
So if you guys can pretty much all understand each other, then I have a question. If someone outside Scandinavia were to learn either Danish, Norwegian or Swedish, would he be able to understand the other 2 as well during conversations?

I think that depends a lot on the person in question. I have met foreigners that have learned Norwegian and been able to understand Swedish and Danish quite well, and on the other hand I have met foreigners that are more or less fluent in Norwegian and don't understand Swedish and Danish at all (a German I know is close to fluent, but insist on English in meetings where Swedes and Danes take part because he don't understand a word they say).

There's a similar case with Polish, Slovak and Czech languages ;)
Well czech and slovak isn't so odd considering they were for a (short) while the same country.