• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
For what it's worth as a random Scanian Swede :) :

I have no problem at all with Danish (and most people down south also watch both Swedish and Danish television in my experience which I am sure helps with that). Up to the recent border controls (which kind of killed such things) many people I know in the Swedish south also commuted from Lund and Malmö to Copenhagen. The exception is the funny way they count, but I expect I would get used to that quickly enough if I actually talked more regularly to Danes.
I also have no problem at all with Norwegian (in fact I find it to be easier than Danish, it's only slightly different from the dialect in Bohuslän to my ears) while German is a language I can partially figure out from listening to but not hold any conversations in at all.

Written Danish and Norwegian is in my experience somewhat closer to Swedish than a couple of centuries old Swedish is to modern Swedish (and I have read my fair share of 17th century Swedish during my studies). Not identical but not hard to figure out at all.
Written German I can mostly figure out if I get to google a word here and there but it would be slow going and I might miss out on the full picture in any reasonably interesting/advanced text.

In my experience how we learn and perceive languages differ a lot from person to person. My daughter, who left Skåne before she could speak, still speaks Scanian with her mother (but not at her preschool). My son on the other hand, who was older and could speak already when we moved up north, speaks only in a very distinct Uppsala/Stockholm accent at all times.

I have never really spoken with a Scanian accent myself (I have a weird accent), despite being from the area and my family having roots hundreds of years back there.