• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have no problem at all with Danish (and most people down south also watch both Swedish and Danish television in my experience which I am sure helps with that).
Growing up in Lund in Sweden, I used to watch Danish TV in order to be able to watch cartoons, more specifically Tom and Jerry. Swedish TV did not air that sort of Imperialistic Yankee pollution back in the 70s. It was a different time, that's for sure.

Good point. Here it was a lot of Danish and Swedish tv shows. Now it's mostly dubbed to Norwegian. At least my generation understand Swedish and Danish perfectly.

If you cherry pick you can get the result you want... wow how unexpected... when is that not true?
The point is a randomly chosen German and a randomly chosen Dane the random german will speak hochdeutch and the random Dane will speak the copenhagen dialect. And then yes i very much find hochdeaitch easier. And there are dialects of german even easier than hoch deutsch.

Also switzerditch would have been much harder if a mates girlfriend didn't speak it.
The thing is that when it comes to languages not only the Berlin or Copenhagen dialects are representative of the respective greater languages. Having travelled across both Germany and Denmark by train this summer, without having any prior experience in any of the languages, I was able to understand and get understood while speaking with Danes, but absolutely not when it came to Germans. This is anecdotal, but consistently Danish is closer than German to Swedish.

The thing is that when it comes to languages not only the Berlin or Copenhagen dialects are representative of the respective greater languages. Having travelled across both Germany and Denmark by train this summer, without having any prior experience in any of the languages, I was able to understand and get understood while speaking with Danes, but absolutely not when it came to Germans. This is anecdotal, but consistently Danish is closer than German to Swedish.
We've gone through Denmark and Germany by car every summer of my childhood. I still don't understand any danish whatsoever. German... i'll admit it takes some getting used to but it's clear and it's logical. The words correspond very well 1:1 with swedish and most composite words correspond well 1:1 with their composite parts in both languages. German more or less sounds like really old fashioned Swedish.

We've gone through Denmark and Germany by car every summer of my childhood. I still don't understand any danish whatsoever. German... i'll admit it takes some getting used to but it's clear and it's logical.
Once you get used to it you could learn any language of the Germanic family though, my point is without prior experience.

Once you get used to it you could learn any language of the Germanic family though.
Not danish, and I have tried. It's freaking impossible to understand. You just don't let them know that you're swedish and they'll talk english to you.