HOI4 Dev Diary - The Baltic States 2/2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Case in point, Balkan nations focus tree rework in Bosphorus DLC. Bulgaria is the only one that can form Balkan Federation. While in our reality, it was actually Yugoslavia (and USSR) who initiated it and pressured Bulgaria into it. And then Tito realized that this is Stalin's way of controlling him, and said NO.
A fair point, but this would be more fitting in a proper Yugoslavian rework along with the Chetnik-Partisan rivalry that aren't present in the game too.

Also, try to make a mod, and present it to the devs here. I tried one, and well, it's difficult to do a rework on those formable nations. Let alone designing focus trees, but at least i tried to create it and get it noticed by the devs.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The mixed Estonian and English in "Vapsid Youth" is quite an eyesore to me. It should probably be something like "Vapsid-noored" but I don't speak Estonian beyond a few words so please correct me if I'm wrong.
"Noor-Vapsid" perhaps would be a more correct form.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A fair point, but this would be more fitting in a proper Yugoslavian rework along with the Chetnik-Partisan rivalry that aren't present in the game too.

Also, try to make a mod, and present it to the devs here. I tried one, and well, it's difficult to do a rework on those formable nations. Let alone designing focus trees, but at least i tried to create it and get it noticed by the devs.
if I would know how to make a mod, I would do it. But sadly I am a historian, not a modder.
I can only provide historical facts, OR I can rant. Or do both :D

But if someone is willing to make a mod, please do. I'll support it, and promote it around.

And yes, the Bosphorus reworks for some reason focuses only on the royal option. Communism, which is much more influential in our history, got much less (if any) attention...baffling

But hey, Finno Ugra is now part of the game...

• 9Like
Reactions:
It's one focus that makes the country green. It's not an entire route in the tree like Greece from BftB. It's not like it was some massive area of focus. It's not that big a deal. As to your point about Hungary you might as well complain that Yugoslavia doesn't make sense because Bulgaria isn't a part of it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Finno-Ugra, what idiocy is this?

Seriously, HoI4 is becoming a unicorn fantasy game. The devs are smoking something and when they are in delirium they are making the focus trees...

It is disappointing where HoI4 is going. Kaiserreich is an amazing mod, but looking at how idiotic all this is becoming with vanilla, I wish that Kaiserreich never happened...
I think its ok in a sense, as it seems to be expanding the idea of Greater Finland.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which held lesser importance than the actual paths that are more grounded. Just please, talk about the Vapis, or the Forest Brothers, Latvian Cross, or even Mindaugas. Let's end the discussion about those meme lategame formables (or formables in general) unless there would be fixes, right?

Reactions:
As a Latvian I would like to point out that "Women’s Aizsargi" sounds really, and I mean, really strange. The mixing of languages kinda cuts in my ears. Since Aizsargi means Defenders, I do understand that there is no good way to get the point of the focus accross in other languages, however, may I suggest that since the women were called Aizsardzes (female form of the word) maybe... call that focus "Conscript Aizsardzes"? Or something similar?

• 12Like
Reactions:
I like the Estonian rework.
Some notes:

The state name 'Harju' is misspelled.

Instead of the Finna-Ugra focus it would perhaps suit better for an alt-history path to unite the Baltics and Finland, with a possibility to expand a few states further into Belarusian, Sami and/or Karelian territories (to accommodate Greater Lithuania and Greater Finland).

Edit: Also, from a linguistic point of view it might make more sense, when combining Estonian and English, to use the genitive "vapsi" instead of the plural "vapsid"

• 4Like
Reactions:
Greetings from Estonia. Harnu in naming the Estonian region is just a typo, isn't it? The region is called Harju or Harjumaa.

Also about the leader of Vapsid, Artur Sirk dies in 1937 after an "unsuccessful" fall from a window in Luxembourg, will this be reflected somehow in the game? Something like an event and change of the ruler of Vapsid, if you couldn't make him the ruler in time?

• 11Like
Reactions:
@Meka66 when Italy, if maybe it would release in this DLC/update or maybe in another DLC, cuz i'm annoyed when i heard that no Italian FT in this DLC, because it's sad that Italy is getting more more skipped in this DLC, throw Italy in this DLC would be the best DLC ever

• 6Like
Reactions:
I find the people complaining about these trees funny, mostly because ''historical AI focuses'' is a button you can press.

As for the ones complaining about the Italy/Scandinavia/etc trees not being a thing: your time will come. The Baltic (and Polish) playerbase have been waiting for something like this for quite a while as well. Complaining about another playerbase getting their tree first isn't really going to change much.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I find the people complaining about these trees funny, mostly because ''historical AI focuses'' is a button you can press.

As for the ones complaining about the Italy/Scandinavia/etc trees not being a thing: your time will come. The Baltic (and Polish) playerbase have been waiting for something like this for quite a while as well. Complaining about another playerbase getting their tree first isn't really going to change much.

I wonder how many players asked for a Ugro-Finnic empire. :rolleyes:

• 14Like
Reactions:
Realistically speaking, probably not that many. Baltic states together have less population than home of Paradox, Sweden, so there are not that many players. Then again - we have been waiting for some love whole 4 games already. :)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Don't they also attempt to invade Scandinavia or the other Finno-Ugrics just under that tree? That tree shouldn't exist or should be gated behind extremely high fash support and war support imo.
Considering it is in the very end of the focus tree, you should probably have high stability, fascist support and war support by there.

Reactions:

South American playerbase also waiting for a few years now, I wonder if my nation will ever get reworked.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's one focus that turns your country green. It's not like some huge amount of dev focus went into it. Get over it.

As a meme to make people angry on purpose they should put as much energy into the Italian rework as they did to making Finno-Ugric Empire a thing to show how silly this comparison is.

That is: One focus.

• 1Haha
Reactions: