• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if your former devs forgets you, Victoria 2. You will always be remembered by the community. And one day you shall flourish, and be your own game again.

#savevicky3

Started to take the survey but stopped when I realized it was more of a marketing survey than a game improvement survey. I don't waste my time on marketing surveys.

On the other hand I would love to see the games improved in various ways especially in the developers actually taking the time to test the games BEFORE they are released. A higher priority on removal of bugs and game play flaws after the game is released instead of pushing on to the next DLC with NEW bugs/design flaws would be better appreciated by most of us also.

Hmmm, could be... AoE2 was "Age of Kings", though...

This list as a whole confuses me, to be honest. The survey is about strategy games. But personally I wouldn't consider C:S a strategy game. Not to speak of The Sims...

I bet that Kings of Ages 2 is not a real game but just a sort of test. Something to assess the validity of your answers. Because if you say that you play a game that doesn't even exist, then you're not being truthful.

Since Victoria II and Company of Heroes were not included in the options (they would require a new tier of game play hours), I'll just add them here as an addemdum:
Company of Heroes (1): 1600+ hours
Victoria II: 1800+ hours

I completed the survey.

The most important of my input, was my last comment that whoever gets to implement Machine Learning (even in small scope at first), will jump ahead of the competition in strategy games. Food for thought dear PDX!

I may be a tad late to the party.
I love how the questions about what books you read and what podcasts you listen to are required. I don't read books or listen to podcasts. I hate comics more than any other form of media, and I find podcasts to be insanely boring. I'd rather watch a movie or show based on said book, comic, etc and listen to music.
Also, I don't watch gamers' videos. The only thing I watch on YouTube is Isaac Arthur. Other than that, I'm watching TV shows.
I find watching gamers' videos a waste of time. Why watch them play the game when I can play it myself!?

Creating content!
This question got me excited until I finished reading it. By "content", it means "memes", "AARs" (whatever those are), "screenshots", and other media. I may take a few screenshots, but that's hardly "creating content", rather just pressing F12. However, I DO make mods for several games! Now THAT is actually "creating content"!

As for the games themselves; I like strategy and simulation the most. I also LOVE science fiction!
The absolute best game series I have EVER played is Mass Effect! I even play Stellaris heavily modded with the single most important mod being Mass Relays! Ever since I found this mod, I refuse to play the game without it! I even go as far as to base my entire civilization around the idea of using these as their primary transportation. I try to only colonize planets in Relay systems or systems a single jump from one. If I find a spot I like, but it is not habitable, I build a Ringworld there!

The games I play most of:
American Truck Simulator (Simulation/Driving)
Minecraft (Sandbox)
The Sims 3 (Sandbox/Simulation)
Stellaris (Sandbox/Simulation/Strategy/Roleplaying)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Roleplaying)
Mass Effect (Roleplaying)
Mass Effect 2 (Roleplaying)
Mass Effect 3 (Roleplaying)
Civilization V (Sandbox/Simulation/Strategy/Roleplaying)
Age of Empires 2 (Strategy)

Of every Strategy game I've ever played, my absolute favorites are StarCraft, Age of Empires 2, and Stellaris. Go figure two of those are science fiction!

In terms of "Fantasy" or "Historical", I think Age of Empires was near perfect. It's simple, but offers hours of play on even single missions with the various possibilities. Civilization 5 Was also amazing as a "Fantasy" strategy game. It put you in prehistoric times, but with a choice of a civilization that may or may not have existed at that time. You can then play through to the modern era, where that civilization may or may not have already died out in reality. You can also continue into the near future as well. Along the way, you can make an infinite amount of choices to change the course of history in unimaginable ways!

However, I loved StarCraft due to the fact that it is science fiction. However, it's similar to Age of Empires in terms of overall gameplay: you build a base, gather the nearby resources, then march on the enemy bases until you are the last one. Stellaris, however, takes science fiction strategy to a whole new era, turning it more into a sandbox roleplaying strategy game, and I love it!

Regardless of the game, the more moddable it is, the better the chance of me liking it. If nearly every aspect is moddable, then wherever the developers may have missed out on something I think would be good to have, chances are a mod can add it!
Some games, rarely, don't need mods. Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 for example. I've played all of those countless times, both on Xbox and PC, and have never modded any of them!
American Truck Simulator: I have about 10 mods for it, as well as making my own complete overhaul mod with a new map.
Minecraft: I run a couple servers, each with separate modpacks, but both at about 200-250 mods.
The Sims 3: I have about 40 million mods. Raw mod files are about a terabyte worth, but I have them all compressed into about 15 files so that the they not only take up less space, but also allow the game to run faster and smoother.
Stellaris: depending on what's been updated to current version, I run anywhere from 20-200 mods.
Skyrim: only recently started modding, but already found 3 or so I like!
Civilization V: anywhere from 10-50 mods, depending on how I feel that day.
Age of Empires 2: such and old game! I actually only run a graphics mod that makes it look better and less headache-inducing! I forgot how much these old games gave me headaches!

Multiplayer: nope!
Due to the fact that I am quick to mod the crap out of these kinds of games, it's near impossible for me to play multiplayer, as the chances that I will find another player willing to run the EXACT mods I run at the EXACT time I'm running them are astronomically slim!
This means that I want no part of multiplayer, so it needs to stay out of my way. Fortunately, this doesn't tend to be an issue in strategy games, as these kinds of games tend to keep the multiplayer and singleplayer aspects completely separate. That said, I'd rather the development resources be well spent on developing more features and content, leaving multiplayer as a "back-burner" feature that will get worked on when "it comes around" after the rest is done.

Community: From my experience, especially with sandbox, strategy, and simulation games, any developer who establishes a community area (like a Forum) where their playerbase can suggest features and content always tend to produce higher-quality content. The community is a powerful and valuable asset to be used and appreciated.

Summery of above:
The ideal strategy game:
Science Fiction - set in distant future, preferably on a galactic scale.
Is moddable
Is NOT focused on Multiplayer
Full of interesting content and background lore/stories/events
Has a deep political/governmental system for the various civilizations, as well as cultural aspects (able to create truly diverse civilizations)
Has a dynamic population (some members of a civilization may try to secede into their own nation, or factions within several civilizations may have rivalries possibly leading to small wars, under the "national level".
Has a deep and dynamic diplomacy and economic/trade systems.
Has some kind of background history lore, or provides an opportunity to "create" you own through gameplay, for the various civilizations, as well as those that existed before.

Who on this earth would "Disagree" with a survey aimed at improving the products they are playing? I really want to have access to telepathy just to find out what kind of mental weirdness must be going on in some people's heads. :D

Who on this earth would "Disagree" with a survey aimed at improving the products they are playing? I really want to have access to telepathy just to find out what kind of mental weirdness must be going on in some people's heads. :D

I think it was an expression of frustration regarding the nature of the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.