Hearts of Iron IV - Developer Diary 16 - World Tension

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great now I hope that the world will react to what Japan is doing in China and so. The US and others have interests in China so when Japan starts taking ground ,Tensions should rise.

Reactions:
Thanx a lot for the DD pod :)

I am a bit wary of a global value personally..

Polish ambassador : Welcome sir, how may Poland be of assistance to you today.
German ambassador : The Peruvian Llama scandal was the last drop, we are at war sir!
Polish ambassador : errr, what ?
lol

Great now I hope that the world will react to what Japan is doing in China and so. The US and others have interests in China so when Japan starts taking ground ,Tensions should rise.
But, as you said, the US had interests in China. That was the reason for its hostile reaction - Hungary should care little for it.

Reactions:
Thanx a lot for the DD pod :)

I am a bit wary of a global value personally..

Polish ambassador : Welcome sir, how may Poland be of assistance to you today.
German ambassador : The Peruvian Llama scandal was the last drop, we are at war sir!
Polish ambassador : errr, what ?

Just awesome dude...just laughed heavily!!!:D

This is great development; bullying mana is a welcome addition to the game, but I think we need to go further. The current party system is far too complex - it's only fair we remove all four parties and add the following:

Good guy party
everyone else
Bad guy party
germany and italy and maybe finland

This is the only system that will streamline the system ergonomically enough for it to be playable for all types of player

.. what. They added something that made it more complex, but you're poking fun at being less complex?

Reactions:
finally!.
it looks like the game will be released in Q3 after all, still, i cant wait to get my hands on The IJN

Last edited:
finally!.
it looks like the game will be released in Q3 after all, still, i cant wait to get my hands on IJN

Alpha + Beta will each take at least 3 months, so release in Q4 2015, or Q1 2016 si most likely

Reactions:
This is great development; bullying mana is a welcome addition to the game, but I think we need to go further. The current party system is far too complex - it's only fair we remove all four parties and add the following:

Good guy party
everyone else
Bad guy party
germany and italy and maybe finland

This is the only system that will streamline the system ergonomically enough for it to be playable for all types of player

it's not "bullying mana": you can't spend it. it goes up (and down?) from actions of all nations in the game.

the leader of the united states, for example, wanted to get involved. but the people did not see a need to, the savages in europe were up to their typical savage ways and the US had its own problems.

other nations similarly wouldn't want to be involved, their leaders stayed out and their people stayed out. perhaps at some point the people of those nations would want their nation to participate, to take a side.

i like the idea of this system because it can help model this, so you can't just join up to a side right away (the US particularly) and also it does things like stopping the US from just militarizing for 5 years before they decide to go destroy everyone

Perfect Mechanic to replace the old neutrality/threat. It'll actually be dynamic to what I'm doing on map! Plus I can actually attack anyone at anytime so long as I'm aware of the repurcussions on the world stage!!
Thanks podcat/team. Have fun today.

Nice DD, glad to see that Nationalist Spain and Republican Spain are treated like 2 nations

Also could we for once we a different part of the map other than the German Polish board around Danzig?

Reactions:
But, as you said, the US had interests in China. That was the reason for its hostile reaction - Hungary should care little for it.

Agreed! Events should affect the countries differently. There should be a base value rise for every country. And then there should be an individual raise or drop for every single country.

1st example: Lets say germany declares war on poland. World tension for gb rises 5% (base value) plus another 5 % (democracy vs. Facism).

2nd example: germany declares war pn poland. Poland declared war on gb already before. World tension for gb should be 0% because they are happy, that germany entered war against their enemy. Declaring war on germany should be more difficult, as it would be difficult to tell the population, why a war with germany is necessary, when the germans fight against their enemy already.

3rd example: germany declares war on poland. Gb has trade agreements with poland. Tension should rise 5% plus another 5% because of necessary trade plus 5 % (democracy vs. Facism). Justifiying a war is easier, if you can explain the people, that poland exports important ressources to gb and that facism is a threat.

Example 4: germany declares war on poland. World tension rises for switzerland 5 %. Since they are neutral, no more % is added.

Example 5: germany declares war on poland. Tension for peru rises 0%, since they don't share the continent and are neutral.

Since neutral countries could be influenced more in a certain ideology, it would be a matter of time, when they will be democratic, communist or fascist. This would allow them later, to enter the war, since many countries declared war on germany pretty late im ww2.

The %-values in my examples are just examples. But i really would love to see individual tension values. It could be combined with espionage. So before declaring war, germany could install spies im gb or usa, to know if they could enter the war.

I don't know if this is doable, but it would be pretty decent. But thats just my two cents :)

Reactions:
How does tension works? In hoi 3 you could attack somebody if that countrys threat to you was higher than your neutrality. How does this work in hoi iv? I see Tension is more or less like threat, but instead of a country per country value, it seems is global. If you are Germany, youcan attack anybody when tension hits, lets say 50, while the usa must wait unitl it hits 100?

If this is theway it works a find it a bit too simple.

This looks like numerical game-play where you rack up BB score and then wait for it to decay. Can't say I like it, but will of course just have to wait to see how the actual game is before deciding.

Reactions:
It´s refined Belligerance.

Not that I have a problem with that.

This looks like numerical game-play where you rack up BB score and then wait for it to decay. Can't say I like it, but will of course just have to wait to see how the actual game is before deciding.

O rly?

And since when Paradox games AREN´T numerical gameplay?

Reactions:
Damn that picture so beautiful.... I love the map of HoI4, it wont give me the 'historical' 'immersive' feeling of looking at a real map but certainly will give me the feeling of 'ahhhhhhhhh yes', so beautiful.... I could stare at it for hours and thank myself for getting an entirely new PC which can actually run it.... (hopefully)

Reactions:
When will we read a DD about the supply system?

How does tension works? In hoi 3 you could attack somebody if that countrys threat to you was higher than your neutrality. How does this work in hoi iv? I see Tension is more or less like threat, but instead of a country per country value, it seems is global. If you are Germany, youcan attack anybody when tension hits, lets say 50, while the usa must wait unitl it hits 100?

If this is theway it works a find it a bit too simple.
Unless I'm wrong, you can attack pretty much anyone anytime you want as long as you can get some type of CB on them however this will increase global tension and as tension rises nations will begin to form the Alliance, Axis and Communist blocks of the world and as the tension gets higher the likely hood of world war breaking out becomes greater

Reactions: