Hearts of Iron IV - 46th Development Diary - 26th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I still feel very iffy about the British tank tree. FT-17 as Britain's starting tank is just ridiculous. Why not a Whippet, or the Vickers Medium? Having the Matilda and Valentine as light tanks is ridiculous as well. In terms of mass they were relatively light, but in protection, speed and role they were clearly analogous to heavy tanks. Could the Matilda not be moved to the 1936 heavy slot? And the Valentine to the 1940 heavy tank slot? The Vickers series of light tanks and the Tetrarch could easily fill out the light tank column.

Reactions:
I still feel very iffy about the British tank tree. FT-17 as Britain's starting tank is just ridiculous. Why not a Whippet, or the Vickers Medium? Having the Matilda and Valentine as light tanks is ridiculous as well. In terms of mass they were relatively light, but in protection, speed and role they were clearly analogous to heavy tanks. Could the Matilda not be moved to the 1936 heavy slot? And the Valentine to the 1940 heavy tank slot? The Vickers series of light tanks and the Tetrarch could easily fill out the light tank column.

Starting tank is meant to be a 1918-level tank. The UK had FT-17's, so what's the problem? Vickers Medium is an interwar tank. I guess the Whippet could work.

The 1936 heavy is a breakthrough tank, like the T-35 or Grosstraktor. I don't see how the Matilda has anything in common with those. Heavy tank does not automatically mean good protection. Matilda is best represented as a light tank with experience put in armor, if you ask me. AFAIK adding armor reduces unit speed, so the speed will work too. ''Role''-pretty irrelevant on the level that HoI presents things.

And Valentine as the UK equivalent of the Tiger? I have a hard time seeing how that makes sense. Besides, where would you then put the Churchill? Or maybe it should be removed?

I don't really see any need to feel ''iffy'' about the british tank tree, but I hope that the AI will allocate army experience so that we don't get Matildas that perform like PzIII's.

Reactions:
For comparison, the German first-tier tanks are the Leichttraktor and Grosstraktor, which I'm not even sure if you could call tanks :) .

Edit: I see EleventhAdventist mentioned the Gross' in his post :p .

I'm going to join the chorus complaining about the poor tech tree choices.

I'll start with the easy one - The Hector as the 1936 CAS choice? Hardly any were built and it was a light army cooperation aircraft. The Fairey Battle was built in much greater numbers and was a much more capable light bomber with more in common with the planes other nations should have in that slot. The Typhoon was a very capable fighter that looks completely out of place in the CAS tree. A better choice for 1940 would be the Hurribomber or the Blenheim light bomber.

Now the tank tech tree - as I've said before on other threads, the whole tree is substandard with too few slots in the light and heavy tank categories, but I'll work with the structure we've got. The starting tech should be the Vickers II Medium tank. The 1934 light should be the Vickers VI Light tank, the most numerous light tank in service when war started. The 1934 heavy should be the Matilda II (there should actually be another heavy in between 1934 & 1941 which should be the Matilda II, allowing the Vickers Independent to occupy this slot). The 1936 light should be the Cruiser tank. The 1941 light is tricky for Britain, but I'd go with the Covenanter. Many more were built than the Tetrarch, and if they had fixed the engine cooling problem it would have been a fast tank that was more capable than the early cruisers.

Reactions:
It seems there won't be Commonwealth-Specific mechanics (apart from the tree). It's ok for now, but maybe it's something that could be expanded infuture DLC's.
It could give new diplomatic and militar options and I guess the UK is the third most played country in HOI.

The final tier of British aircraft are in the "1950" line. I thought the technology levels and the game's main timeline ended in 1948. Has that changed or was I just mistaken?

In 1948 a score card pops up but you have the option to keep playing if you wish. I think Podcat said he played through to 1990s once however you quickly run out of tech.

Oh and the research ahead of time that somebody else mentioned first.

I'm going to join the chorus complaining about the poor tech tree choices.

I'll start with the easy one - The Hector as the 1936 CAS choice? Hardly any were built and it was a light army cooperation aircraft. The Fairey Battle was built in much greater numbers and was a much more capable light bomber with more in common with the planes other nations should have in that slot. The Typhoon was a very capable fighter that looks completely out of place in the CAS tree. A better choice for 1940 would be the Hurribomber or the Blenheim light bomber.

Now the tank tech tree - as I've said before on other threads, the whole tree is substandard with too few slots in the light and heavy tank categories, but I'll work with the structure we've got. The starting tech should be the Vickers II Medium tank. The 1934 light should be the Vickers VI Light tank, the most numerous light tank in service when war started. The 1934 heavy should be the Matilda II (there should actually be another heavy in between 1934 & 1941 which should be the Matilda II, allowing the Vickers Independent to occupy this slot). The 1936 light should be the Cruiser tank. The 1941 light is tricky for Britain, but I'd go with the Covenanter. Many more were built than the Tetrarch, and if they had fixed the engine cooling problem it would have been a fast tank that was more capable than the early cruisers.

I don't see why. You're going to have to explain yourself if you want me to understand... most stats are interchangeable, but the production costs are the same for a certain tech tree slot, and all nation tech trees are the same.

Reactions:
I don't see why. You're going to have to explain yourself if you want me to understand... most stats are interchangeable, but the production costs are the same for a certain tech tree slot, and all nation tech trees are the same.
Also, tanks, ships, and aircraft are blank slates: you use the variant system and doctrines and whatnot to "flesh them out". So I could have a Panzer III variant that's very heavily armed for a Pz III, or a variant that's the fastest tank in World War II.

If playing as a commonwealth country, will there be options to break away from UK ties and carve out your own empire? Canada annexing North America, South Africa annexing all of Africa, New Zealand annexing Australia and the South Pacific for examples.
*Australia annexing New Zealand

Reactions:
Also, tanks, ships, and aircraft are blank slates: you use the variant system and doctrines and whatnot to "flesh them out". So I could have a Panzer III variant that's very heavily armed for a Pz III, or a variant that's the fastest tank in World War II.

Exactly, but some things remain the same - different types cost more to produce, and require more/different resources, and research can be different, of course. I'm not sure, but for example, I think a Heavy tank has around double the construction cost of a light tank.

You could discuss things like how the tanks were classified in reality and such, but really, that is pretty pointless, the tanks are just components in battalions that determine combat behaviour from sums (and sometimes averages) of various stats. The important factors we need to look at must be the gameplay stats, not pictures and names. And when it does come to pictures and names, focus must be on making sure things are understandable, not that the OggleBoggle Mk.XII is classified just like it says in the authenthic war documents.

Cheers for the DD Podcat :D. As always, it looks good, but I do note that the UK in HoI4 seems to be the 'rock' around which the sandbox for other nations is built. By all means turn Germany democratic, or take the US to war with the UK, or turn France in any number of directions, but the UK seems to be far more 'locked in' to a more traditional route (other than war with the USSR). I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing (if the AI/NF system can't handle every country being off the wall, then there needs to be a cornerstone, and the UK is comfortably the best choice), but if there was scope to give the UK the same range of sandboxy choices down the track it would be cool. A focus for intervening in the Japanese-China conflict, for example, shouldn't send things too far out of whack.

This looks tops - I'd be all over something like this being in the game - would make for a good DLC path as well (more models and the like)....

finding the right tank to please everyone is hard. UK didnt even classify tanks in heavy/medium/light. The matilda was an infantry support tank which is likely what you will use that tech level tank for. We could invent some made up model there that would "fit" better, but the thing is that the Matilda II was well known and produced in pretty high numbers, so would silly not to be able to have it in the game. In these cases we have gone with including them even tho it doesnt fit perfectly

Agreed it's tough to please everyone, but when the UK has a wide range of 1918 level tanks, and more in the early 1920s, going with a French tank there looks really, really odd. There's no need to invent anything - there are a number of better options available literally at a glance. The UK tech tree looks like it's been put together by someone who really isn't too on top of UK tanks (I'm an air/naval person, not a tank person by any stretch, but if it stays as is, I'll be modding in more sensible choices into my naval mod because it'd be quick and easy to). Britain was far more active in tank development and design in the early 1920s, a French model here is implausible and unnecessary.

As for the Matilda II thing (although this applies to the FT-17 and Valentine as well):
- People that don't know about the Matilda II/FT-17/Valentine won't care whether it's those models or something else (more plausible) in those slots.
- People that do know about those tanks will think it's ridiculous that the Matilda and Valentine are light tanks, and that the British tank tree starts with a French model.

Changing to more sensible models (others have posted good examples) is all win - people that know about the tanks will be happier, people that don't know will still be oblivious. This isn't a matter of choosing between a range of bad fits (the UK actually had quite a few light tanks in development around that time), it's a matter of fixing bad choices.

As others have suggested, another heavy slot in 1937, 38 or 39 would make a lot of sense - but if we're not going to have a slot there, then leave the Matilda out altogether and let people make it through variants. Better than people having fast moving light tank divisions filled with Matilda IIs, which to anyone that is familiar with the tank is as ridiculous as it sounds!

Suggestions:

First model - either the Medium Mk C, Medium Mk I (although might be a bit 'modern' for what you're going for) or Mk V tank (if you're looking for something that served in WW1). There are (at least - you could put the Whippet in here as well) three British models for use - why has a French model been chosen instead?

First light tank - Light Tank Mk III, actually built in 1934, by Vickers, but the Mk II, while a tad outdated by that time, goes well enough.

Second light tank - Light Tank Mk VI, another Vickers model, of which over 1500 were built and served (actually as a light tank) in WW2. There's no sensible argument for preferring the Matilda over the Light Tank Mk VI in this slot.

Third light tank - the Valentine was a slow and relatively heavily armoured (for its weight) tank - it didn't serve in a role as a light tank, and is an odd choice here. The Tetrarch (otherwise known as Light Tank MK VII) is the obvious pick. This would mean leaving out the Valentine for the Crusader, but like the Matilda, anyone who knows the Valentine will think it's odd it's a light tank, and anyone who doesn't won't mind.

I really dont see what the problem is some people have here. The British always do things a bit silly compared to europeans, just like their tank concepts in WW2. They didnt really had Light/Medium/Heavy tanks but rather the cruiser tanks (fast thinnly armored mobile tanks) and infantry tanks (heaviely armored to keep up with the infantry) concept. Because of that it is pretty hard to categorize them propperly ingame. The second "light tank" slot is really the only one where the matilda makes sense. Besides that its armament kinda fits the light tank theme aswell, since infantry tanks had rather small guns compared to other nations.

The British also had light tanks (they even called them Light Tanks, to make it extra easy for people making tech trees 70 years later to know where to put them :)). The Matilda and Valentine were never used for the roles that light tanks performed. The issue is that there is no slot that fits the Matilda, because the UK developed a wider range of tanks than anyone else in the 1930s, and so has a surplus of models for the slots. A 1938 or 1939 heavy tank slot would make a lot of sense, and be a good place for the Matilda to go.

If playing as a commonwealth country, will there be options to break away from UK ties and carve out your own empire? ... New Zealand annexing Australia and the South Pacific for examples.

Keep dreaming :p. (Not a serious comment, just friendly Australian-New Zealand banter).

Reactions:
Starting tank is meant to be a 1918-level tank. The UK had FT-17's, so what's the problem? Vickers Medium is an interwar tank. I guess the Whippet could work.

The 1936 heavy is a breakthrough tank, like the T-35 or Grosstraktor. I don't see how the Matilda has anything in common with those. Heavy tank does not automatically mean good protection. Matilda is best represented as a light tank with experience put in armor, if you ask me. AFAIK adding armor reduces unit speed, so the speed will work too. ''Role''-pretty irrelevant on the level that HoI presents things.

And Valentine as the UK equivalent of the Tiger? I have a hard time seeing how that makes sense. Besides, where would you then put the Churchill? Or maybe it should be removed?

I don't really see any need to feel ''iffy'' about the british tank tree, but I hope that the AI will allocate army experience so that we don't get Matildas that perform like PzIII's.
Because the UK used Whippets more than they did FT-17s and the Whippet is a British tank, so it makes more sense to have it in the British tech tree than the French FT-17. I agree though that the Vickers Medium probably shouldn't be in that slot, seeing as that slot is 1918-era tanks. The Vickers Medium could fit as the 1934 level medium tank.

The Matilda was supposed to lead the infantry in a breakthrough as well. In Hearts of Iron terms, heavy tanks generally mean heavy armour and slow speed, so the Matilda and Valentine fit the heavy slot just fine. Using the excuse that you could just make a heavily armoured variant of a light tank completely removes the point of having historical vehicles in the game. By that logic, every nation should just have one line of tanks and we could use the variant system to make medium or heavy versions of those.

I got the dates wrong, I thought that it went 1934,1936, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1945. So I'll amend what I said and put the Matilda in the 1936 slot (perhaps the Matilda I, as having the Matilda II in 1936 would be a bit OP, then you could use the variant system to make the Matilda II), the Valentine in the 1939 slot (which is round about when it was being designed). As of the latest WWW the Tiger is 1941 level so this would avoid the issue that you rightly pointed out of having the Valentine at the same level of the Tiger. The Churchill could then stay in its current 1941 slot.

Reactions:
Because the UK used Whippets more than they did FT-17s and the Whippet is a British tank, so it makes more sense to have it in the British tech tree than the French FT-17. I agree though that the Vickers Medium probably shouldn't be in that slot, seeing as that slot is 1918-era tanks. The Vickers Medium could fit as the 1934 level medium tank.

The Matilda was supposed to lead the infantry in a breakthrough as well. In Hearts of Iron terms, heavy tanks generally mean heavy armour and slow speed, so the Matilda and Valentine fit the heavy slot just fine. Using the excuse that you could just make a heavily armoured variant of a light tank completely removes the point of having historical vehicles in the game. By that logic, every nation should just have one line of tanks and we could use the variant system to make medium or heavy versions of those.

I got the dates wrong, I thought that it went 1934,1936, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1945. So I'll amend what I said and put the Matilda in the 1936 slot (perhaps the Matilda I, as having the Matilda II in 1936 would be a bit OP, then you could use the variant system to make the Matilda II), the Valentine in the 1939 slot (which is round about when it was being designed). As of the latest WWW the Tiger is 1941 level so this would avoid the issue that you rightly pointed out of having the Valentine at the same level of the Tiger. The Churchill could then stay in its current 1941 slot.

There is no 1936 Medium and 1939 Heavy. At least I don't think so, I'm not clear on the dates, but all tech tree slots are the same. Across all nations. If Germany doesn't have a slot for a 1939 Heavy, the UK, or Sweden, or Bhutan doesn't have one either.

Things are a bit different in Hoi IV. As I said above, the really signficant bit with heavy tanks are their production cost. Base stats are different too, sure, but if you want a tank with very heavy armor, you can use the variant system. In that way there is no need to make the Matilda a heavy in order to represent its heavy armor.

And sure, the Matilda is an infantry support tank, but that's not really the same thing as the T-35, or the NbFz (or the Grosstraktor).

Reactions:
And sure, the Matilda is an infantry support tank, but that's not really the same thing as the T-35, or the NbFz (or the Grosstraktor).

It's not, however if there's no slot for the Matilda:
- Leave it out
- Adjust the tech tree to have a slot there

These are both preferable alternatives to just dropping it in somewhere it doesn't fit, where there are better alternatives.

Reactions:
Matilda was not a light tank.

The best category for it would be heavy or medium.

It was not a light tank.

@podcat , please have the Devs find and read references for tanks before sticking them in strange categories.

finding the right tank to please everyone is hard.

No it is not. This isn't even about pleasing everyone, this is about a blatant error.

Light tank is simply the wrong category for Matilda II.

UK didnt even classify tanks in heavy/medium/light. The matilda was an infantry support tank which is likely what you will use that tech level tank for. We could invent some made up model there that would "fit" better, but the thing is that the Matilda II was well known and produced in pretty high numbers, so would silly not to be able to have it in the game. In these cases we have gone with including them even tho it doesnt fit perfectly

Call it a medium. That is the closest equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions:
... and a light gun meant to support infantry. This tank would not be able to face other tanks, only really infantry, which I think is the important factor.

You don't know what you are talking about. You have this completely backwards.

The Ordnance QF 2-pounder was a very good 40mm anti-tank gun.
It was not an anti-infantry weapon. It was intended for tank combat.

The Matilda II was very effective against earlier German armour like the Panzer IIIs and early Panzer IVs.

The cannon on the Matilda II A12 was the best anti-tank gun the British had at the time.
The small calibre, high-velocity, and long barrel length made it very effective against armour.

A small cannon is very bad for fighting infantry. Low rate of fire and they couldn't fire effective HE rounds.
The Matilda II's 2-pounder was not an ineffective weapon against infantry.

Large cannons are howitzers that fire HE rounds. They are typically 75mm or larger with a short low-velocity barrel. Those are the best guns for infantry support.

Reactions:
NO WAY!

I refuse to accept this.

Granted, I'm not familiar with the history involved, nor the real statistics, but I just cannot believe ...

The Irish drink MORE TEA than the ENGLISH? That's just ...

Turkey? Yeah, I get it - no beer and all. But the Irish? !!?
We do. Irish breakfast tea. It's our Panacea. Failed your exams? Have a cup of Tea. Wife ran off with the postman? Sure a cup of tea will sort ya. Two minutes to live? Hold on, I'll boil a kettle.

Reactions:
Reactions: