Hearts of Iron IV - 46th Development Diary - 26th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Welcome to a new development diary. This time *takes a sip of earl grey* we are going to look at United Kingdom. They start as the leader of the allies (who at this point is basically the commonwealth) and what really sets them apart is their sprawling colonial empire and the Royal Navy - the strongest fleet in the world at this time at 35 capital ships and around 200 smaller vessels.

puXnG8j.jpg

United Kingdom starts with 3 national spirits. British Stoicism which makes them less affected by foreign attempts to change their political alignment. The War to End All Wars which impacts their conscription negatively (war is not as popular as since the first world war), and finally the King (King George V) boosts their national unity.

United Kingdom has a well developed naval industry already at start with 19 dockyards. They also have 34 civilian factories and only 14 military factories.

United Kingdom has one of the widest focus trees with lots of different options. It's split into 3 major parts.

Rearmament
The rearmament tree focuses on getting ready for and fighting another war. You will find things like research bonuses to motorized and mechanized troops, implementing the Shadow Factories scheme to allow quicker conversion of civilian industry to military.
WF2JHsv.jpg

Reinforce the Empire
Managing your empire takes up a large portion of the focus tree. The main choices are: Focus on buildup in asia, further developing the commonwealth nations, fortifying the mediterranean (suez malta etc), or securing Iraq and Iran which will set you on a path of war with the Soviet Union.
UO8vPaQ.jpg

Home Defense
Home defense focus both on local defense such as coastal fortifications and getting rid of the The War to End All Wars spirit as well as allowing intervention to stop nations from joining the axis. You can for example step in and set up a puppet government in norway should their fascists leanings become too strong, so as to secure scandinavia from Hitler.
zJ8i2I9.jpg

Armor & Planes

United Kingdom relied heavily on lend leased American Sherman tanks (which you of course also can through lend lease) but also had their own tank design and eventually developed the incredibly successful Centurion design (too late for the war though).
LwBVdD5.jpg

A well developed air force is important if you want to stop German bombers as well as give them back some of their own medicine.
XSO9NNL.jpg

Next week we'll talk about naval invasions!

Last edited:
Reactions:
release the game

btw, i feel obliged to share this information:
XKT9s9e.png

Reactions:
When will You release the Heart of Iron Kraken?! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions:
No Axis joining tree? Damn :(

Curious if British Union of Fascists grow in popularity, since they were pretty popular until the British government banned them. If you could have an option to not ban them and see them spiral out of control, that would be cool.

Reactions:
Some Questions on tech trees:

They all look the same (Tank tech tree for GER, ITA, USA, ENG...), except the model name and pictures:
1) Is it possible to give/have different stats for the different countries?
2) If I want to add a model, f.e. a 1936 medium tank, do I have to add it to all countries or is it possible to have it different for every country?
3) Do the naval Versions of CAS/ Torp/ Fighters get different profiles? If not is it possible to mod?
4) Do the variants for tanks (TD, SP-arty, sP-AA) get different profiles? If not is it possible to mod?
5) I saw Johan at the WWW changing the template Picture of his Division template. Would it be possible to do something else for the variant System?
F.e. I take Spitfire and want to make a new variant Spitfire Mk.II, than I open a template by clicking on the Picture and can choose a different Profile Picture? Or at least make it modable?

Thank you very much

Reactions:
I see the majority of players going with that Rearmament tree right away. Don't see many picking up the one that leads to war with the USSR until the game progresses quite far

Reactions:
Matilda wasn't a Light Tank, BTW, they were heavies (for their time) - well enough armoured to be proof against the German tanks and standard AT guns - they required 88FLAK and other artillery to defeat them, for example at Arras in 1940 and in the desert. Other than that, looking good!

Reactions:
What purpose does TAC and heavy fighters serve? Now that troop air support is by adding air forces directly to the armies, it seems that one should specialize in fighters, cas and str. Range doesnt seem that important. Maybe heavy fighters for str support.
Price is important though...

Reactions:
Some Questions on tech trees:

They all look the same (Tank tech tree for GER, ITA, USA, ENG...), except the model name and pictures:
1) Is it possible to give/have different stats for the different countries?
2) If I want to add a model, f.e. a 1936 medium tank, do I have to add it to all countries or is it possible to have it different for every country?
3) Do the naval Versions of CAS/ Torp/ Fighters get different profiles? If not is it possible to mod?
4) Do the variants for tanks (TD, SP-arty, sP-AA) get different profiles? If not is it possible to mod?
5) I saw Johan at the WWW changing the template Picture of his Division template. Would it be possible to do something else for the variant System?
F.e. I take Spitfire and want to make a new variant Spitfire Mk.II, than I open a template by clicking on the Picture and can choose a different Profile Picture? Or at least make it modable?

Thank you very much
Unless I am mistaken...All units share the same stats country to country. The names may be different but the only thing that will change are the names and if you make a variant. The base ones will be the same for all countries.

Reactions: