Hearts of Iron IV - 46th Development Diary - 26th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To me, the national focus tree structure makes no sense. It's probably because I haven't played the game yet, but I just don't see it working and I hoped that with the WWWs and DDs, I'd understand the vision.

If it's something like tech, research trees are quite intuitive. You research the Vickers II, because that gives you the experience, the know-how to build the Matilda and newer ones that rely on that initial design. It might be even more detailed, as in HoI3 with dependencies on the engineering skill of engines, ballistics and so forth making an impact on progression or you can rely on production lines to give you that extra complexity and reason to consider what advances you want implemented, it's just as meaningful.

However, when it comes to the decision to "liberate" Norway, why should it depend on the previous Scandinavian intervention? More importantly why should it depend on a fixed event and not something dynamic that happens in the game. I.e. what if Finland and Sweden secure non-aggression with both the USSR and the 3rd Reich and Norway gets invaded only in 1944? There shouldn't be a "need" to intervene in Scandinavia, but a national consensus on Norway alone, that needs to be built before the political leaders can muster enough support for the decision. But it needs to be a dynamic decision that considers in game events.

Also, Embargo Germany... why? What if they choose the democratic route, a decision that might let them gain territory only when the soviets, Japan make enough fuss that the world descends into chaos? Britain should want to embargo any rabble-rouser causing such issues, not necessarily Germany. It should be a dynamic event, not fixed in a tree decision. Also the players should be able to define these goals with what actions can be taken and the success criteria of the decision (i.e. less than 20% of shipping gets through the embargo of the country causing havoc on the old continent).

Later edit: also, solving engineering challenges shouldn't be a decision you have to make against political choices, they should be completely separate decisions, on separate pipelines as they can be performed by different factions within the government. The technological advancements of armament should depend on engineering prowess, political choices on type of government, circumstances and people in charge of various political aspects...

Not sure what your point is. The focus tree makes perfect sense. It is pretty obvious that you are not supposed to take all, especially since some cannot even be chosen if the opposite has been selected. So, if Germany somehow opted for a democractic route, there is absolutely nothing that forces you to embargo it or go to war with it. It's one path you can take if Germany behaves aggressively or you are interested in a war with Germany just for the sake of it. One of many different paths you can take. Just like there is a path that leads you to war with the Soviets instead (or on top of it).

You aren't forced to intervene in Scandinavia either. It is an option you can take, an option you probably won't bother to waste any effort on if there is no need for it.

None of this is forced upon you. You decide which direction to take and which direction you are not interested in.

Reactions:
release the game

btw, i feel obliged to share this information:
XKT9s9e.png
o_O

Not to nitpick, but doesn't King George V die pretty much instantly in the game timeline? I hope you have another spirit lined up :)
If i remember correctly in one of the early WWW they showed Johan having one for Edward giving -National Unity and I think they said there was an event to switch it out for George VI giving +National Unity.

Reactions:
I think the whole Matilda kerfuffle raises a larger question - what's the point of the 1934 heavy tanks? IIRC, all the ones we've seen were either paper projects/prototypes, ridiculously impractical, or had negligible impact on the war. Why not move that first Heavy Tank slot up to 1936 or 39 and use it for useful tanks produced in quantity - the KV-1, the Matilda, the Char B1, along with a few paper panzers for other nations? That seems to me to be the most elegant solution.

Reactions:
release the game

btw, i feel obliged to share this information:
XKT9s9e.png

You made my day dude. Not your fight against prejudices (ok, a bit).

You are right. Release the game!:cool:

I played HoI 2 about 500 hours, HoI 3 about 1800 hours + modding for that another 1000 hours.

HoI 3 was a mess on release but I bought it anyway. Damned! I even bought it 2 times to share it with my steamaccount for friends which hesitated to buy it themself. I gave them lessons how to play it propper instead of relie on that crappy tutorial. With that method I won 5 people for you. Which bought the game pretty soon after my first MP sessions with them.:)

So please, release the game. We are waiting for more than 2 years now and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm addicted.:D

Reactions:
Thank you for this diary with information about the United Kingdom!

I really dont see what the problem is some people have here. The British always do things a bit silly compared to europeans, just like their tank concepts in WW2. They didnt really had Light/Medium/Heavy tanks but rather the cruiser tanks (fast thinnly armored mobile tanks) and infantry tanks (heaviely armored to keep up with the infantry) concept. Because of that it is pretty hard to categorize them propperly ingame. The second "light tank" slot is really the only one where the matilda makes sense. Besides that its armament kinda fits the light tank theme aswell, since infantry tanks had rather small guns compared to other nations.

Reactions:
If playing as a commonwealth country, will there be options to break away from UK ties and carve out your own empire? Canada annexing North America, South Africa annexing all of Africa, New Zealand annexing Australia and the South Pacific for examples.

Not to nitpick, but doesn't King George V die pretty much instantly in the game timeline? I hope you have another spirit lined up :)

Someone may have already gotten to this - but the spirit is in general the ruling monarch, I saw during WWW that Edqard VIII was a spirit after George V - and gave a negative national unity.

I spent the last 30 minutes setting up my account just to get into this Matilda debate.

I think it should stay a light tank, BECAUSE I believe that the light tank stats abstractly fit the Matilda more than the heavy tanks. The matilda had heavy armor true, but it's weight is still very low being only a few tons. Yet it was still very slow, why? it had a bad engine and a light gun meant to support infantry. This tank would not be able to face other tanks, only really infantry, which I think is the important factor. A heavy tank would have a better hard attack and the like, which a Matilda does not have(I mean let's ignore that the icon is of a Matilda 2). The Matilda's slowness also makes it susceptible to infantry attacks, because of the horrible engine I mentioned earlier it's turret traverse speed is horrible, something like 6-18 deg per second. A lone Matilda could be rushed by infantry and thus is susceptible to soft attacks and thus needs infantry support to not sustain losses.

A heavy tank can standalone more than an early light tank can.

basically I think even due to it's armor, heavy tank is not a good fit for the Matilda because of the unique combination of the Matilda's armament, weight, armor thickness, and engine design. So if you want a historical Matilda You should make a variant that has all points put into armor basically. :p

Reactions:
The final tier of British aircraft are in the "1950" line. I thought the technology levels and the game's main timeline ended in 1948. Has that changed or was I just mistaken?

You can still research ahead of time, it just takes longer. There are also probably national focuses you can take to reduce the time so 1950 level tech can be reached before game over.

Reactions:
I'm going to be a pain again and ask why is the Hawker Hector the first CAS option? That is surprising given how few Hectors were built, and the more famous/numerous Fairey Battle appeared as the CAS option in the earlier HoI games.

Reactions: