Hearts of Iron IV - 31st Development Diary - 30th of October 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can I just get something clear quickly, can we still make peace with individual countries easily while at war with the other participants? So we can annex Poland and then get to work on invading France / Western Europe, so that we don't need to wait until France falls to annex Poland?

Edit: I realize it's a bit of a stupid question but I wanted to get this completely clear.
It may have changed since I last heard something about this, but if I remember correctly you cant separate peace countries in a faction (similar to coalition members in EU).

So in your example, if say Poland is in the Allies when you declare war and UK is faction leader, you would have to defeat the UK before you could make a peace.
But if Poland is not in the Allies and Allies faction leader UK guarantees them... not sure if there is a "war leader" like EU which if you peace out removes the war...then I think you could separate peace Poland, but the war would continue with UK... I think - how would the MR-pact work in this case, bring USSR into war with the UK since they are at war with Poland? Would the MR-pact simply shift occupation but not ownership?

Reactions:
this CAME from EU
No, it does not and would potentially be quiet unfitting in EU4. Podcat said this:
HOI3's peace system was extremely simplistic and easy to exploit and did not really capture WWII and looking at our other games a peace system like Europa Universalis where a war leader dictates terms also does not really fit with WWII. So we set out to make something completely new!
Or am I getting you wrong here?

It may have changed since I last heard something about this, but if I remember correctly you cant separate peace countries in a faction (similar to coalition members in EU).

So in your example, if say Poland is in the Allies when you declare war and UK is faction leader, you would have to defeat the UK before you could make a peace.
But if Poland is not in the Allies and Allies faction leader UK guarantees them... not sure if there is a "war leader" like EU which if you peace out removes the war...then I think you could separate peace Poland, but the war would continue with UK... I think - how would the MR-pact work in this case, bring USSR into war with the UK since they are at war with Poland? Would the MR-pact simply shift occupation but not ownership?
Thank you that clears it up for me, I guess in this instance they need a conference as it is with a whole faction rather than one nation.

How do things like Vichy France get modeled through the peace conference system? If Britain is the Faction Leader, we'd have to beat them to force France into a peace conference, but this doesn't seem to correlate well with how I'd imagine Fall Gelb will typically play out.

Reactions:
Hi everyone and welcome to another dev diary for Hearts of Iron IV. Today we are going to talk about peace conferences!

HOI3's peace system was extremely simplistic and easy to exploit and did not really capture WWII and looking at our other games a peace system like Europa Universalis where a war leader dictates terms also does not really fit with WWII. So we set out to make something completely new!

So how does it work? During a war your participation as a member in the war is tracked compared to the rest. Remember Mussolini’s famous quote when about to join the war against France and UK "I only need a few thousand dead so that I can sit at the peace conference as a man who has fought"? We actually track casualties now and that will also factor into your participation score. Most important however is actually conquering enemy territory.

npRhOBu.png

When the enemy finally surrenders the game initiates a peace conference. In multiplayer if there are several players involved this will pause the game and let everyone see what is decided in the conference even if you yourself is not in the war. Points representing the total value of things to grab among the losers is divvied out to the winners depending on what their war participation was at. Each country then takes turns deciding on what will happen to the losers. When you have less points than the person after you its their turn (you can also pass if you like) and on and on it goes until everyone has passed or run out of points. The losers have no say in this unless they have offered up a conditional surrender early on in which case they must approve the conference as well.

The above means that we can now model historical decisions to make sense. For example, there is a reason for USA to get involved in both the pacific war and Europe and not let Stalin decide the outcome on his own there. Taking control of Germany and liberating France will be a race for Berlin and will color how Europe looks after the war ends. The idea is very much to give you the feeling of the Yalta conference where Stalin’s position was very strong and the other heads of governments had less say.

y8stSxp.jpg

The cost of different options depends on wargoals selected before the peace conference so anyone with justified reasons will be able to get those things cheaper, and it will be more costly for others to select those. Do note that order of participation still applies, so someone who has done more could still grab some of your war goal claims, but this would mean that they would themselves get to pick less over all. Stuff like that can set up things for post-war tension should players not be able to come to a resolution everyone is happy with. The basic type of action also affects costs of course, so liberating someone is cheaper than setting up a puppet government under your control, and annexing is much more costly than simply moving the borders some.

The conference also indicates what kind of impact it will have on world tension in the end. This may be a reason to be more restrictive about your choices. Puppeting someone might keep you under a level where the Allies still can not go in and stop you while annexing them would push you over the tension limit.

Next week we'll talk about the sleeping giant - USA!

You know this is my dream since "Every paradox games" right? and especially HoI.

However how is decided who can do demands? Why for example Italy can't take Corsica?

Reactions:
Why are the borders in Poland so messy? If that's just how those countries happened to occupy it then why is there land that still says "Poland" as if it's not occupied?

Reactions:
I hope that the macro regions in switzerland will be divided, and also for Italy I hope Istria will be a separate thing from Venetia, with the exception of Gorizia and Trieste (or should be created a Friuli region.)

Reactions:
You know this is my dream since "Every paradox games" right? and especially HoI.

However how is decided who can do demands? Why for example Italy can't take Corsica?

Because Germany already took it at that point? As explained, the biggest contributor gets to take stuff (counting down their contribution/score) until the point they aren't the biggest contributor any more - so, given Germany has done most of the work, Germany gets most of the goodies, and Italy doesn't get to pick anything until Germany has stuff representing how much more Germany did.

However, from what Podcat said, if Italy had Corsica as a goal, then Germany will have to pay more points to take it than if they didn't (and I imagine it will impact relations with Italy).

In this case, Italy has instead sensibly prioritised getting those French states which bordered them.

Why are the borders in Poland so messy? If that's just how those countries happened to occupy it then why is there land that still says "Poland" as if it's not occupied?

The borders are messy because, when it came to near the bottom of the "who contributed what" list, the only stuff still available was states within Poland, so Bulgaria and Yugoslavia took stuff within there - Romania prioritised the states touching them, Yugoslavia went for those closest to them (even with Hungary in the way..) and Bulgaria apparently got a bit special and decided they wanted a place to escape the summer heat up near Lithuania...

Wait a sec, why is Romania called Legionary Romania??

or Rad Yugoslavia?

wtf??

looks derpy

y8stSxp.jpg

That's because the party that it's governing Romania in this screenshot, The Iron Guard (which logo appears on it's flag) is also known as the Legionary Movement or the Legion of the Archangel Michael.

Reactions:
How do things like Vichy France get modeled through the peace conference system? If Britain is the Faction Leader, we'd have to beat them to force France into a peace conference, but this doesn't seem to correlate well with how I'd imagine Fall Gelb will typically play out.

And Poland... I don't want to stick with an occupied Poland ingame... I want to annex it... :/

Reactions:
The borders are messy because, when it came to near the bottom of the "who contributed what" list, the only stuff still available was states within Poland, so Bulgaria and Yugoslavia took stuff within there - Romania prioritised the states touching them, Yugoslavia went for those closest to them (even with Hungary in the way..) and Bulgaria apparently got a bit special and decided they wanted a place to escape the summer heat up near Lithuania...

Then whats up with all the German enclaves?

how come Germany is occupying a small part of Italy if they were on the same side?

That's because the party that it's governing Romania in this screenshot, The Iron Guard (which logo appears on it's flag) is also known as the Legionary Movement or the Legion of the Archangel Michael.

but they look hipster as fuck.

its an eyesore.

they should put that legionary Romania and radical Yugoslavia under their government info, not in the map.

what if you read Democratic USA? or Monarchical Egypt? or Communist USSR?

Reactions: