Hearts of Iron IV - 31st Development Diary - 30th of October 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think only the largest countries will have more than 20 states. It probably wont take too long to go between everyone when they know what they want. Probably not more than 10 minutes after most wars.

Player A starts picking.
B uses the opportunity to go afk, "toilet break".
Meanwhile A is finished, B still afk.
B picks, is finished. C's turn.
C write "one sec, phone call"...

10 minutes would already be toooo long, in multiplayer games those 10 minutes could easily become a never-ending nightmare. But again, they are heavily testing multiplayer and it will be more important than ever. They'll run into all kinds of problems and will find solutions for that. Our speculation is probably completely unwarranted.

Reactions:
Player A starts picking.

10 minutes would already be toooo long, in multiplayer games those 10 minutes could easily become a never-ending nightmare. But again, they are heavily testing multiplayer and it will be more important than ever. They'll run into all kinds of problems and will find solutions for that. Our speculation is probably completely unwarranted.

Dont you think people will pick whole countries. Say if its US and USSR partitioning europe. Or something of the sorts. I would Imagine it being something like. USSR 4000 points. US 3500 points (or something). Then USSR spends 800 points and takes Poland. US spends 1200 points and takes Italy etc. And only in the end when the points are low we see them grab regions.

Reactions:
Player A starts picking.

10 minutes would be too long for divvy-ing up the end of a war with an entire faction? Really? Because for smaller wars with just one or two countries, you're not going to have anything like that level of complexity. This is basically for doing almost the equivalent of Yalta.

Reactions:
This will beautifully remedy the rather anti-climatic final victories in HoI3.

I was wondering if I was going to conquer Italy as Canada again, make her a Democracy again, and have her vote Fascist again. "Seriously? What? Hey!"

Sounds like a great system.

This seems like one of the most important additions since HoI3. While other systems and mechanics have been changed, improved or streamlined for various reasons, they only seem to change the "flavour" of how things are done. The way spoils of war are negotiated changes the entire feel of the game, though, and it's a nice addition that will create more realistic scenarios (at first glance, at least).

Reactions:
Can you get rid of 'The' before certain country names? It looks annoying and is superfluous -- many countries that could have it (i.e. Soviet Union, United Kingdom) don't, so it's best to just not use it at all.

Reactions:
Sounds fantastic, with some more diplomacy on peace conferences :)

Reactions:
Woah, what's your necromancy level?

High- but I think they let it slide on DD threads as some people join the party later than HoI addicts. :D

Reactions:
Forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere in the thread but, if you conquer someone, what happens to their gear? In 3 it just disappears into the aether, will you be able to claim it for redistribution?

The cost of different options depends on wargoals selected before the peace conference so anyone with justified reasons will be able to get those things cheaper, and it will be more costly for others to select those. Do note that order of participation still applies, so someone who has done more could still grab some of your war goal claims, but this would mean that they would themselves get to pick less over all. Stuff like that can set up things for post-war tension should players not be able to come to a resolution everyone is happy with. The basic type of action also affects costs of course, so liberating someone is cheaper than setting up a puppet government under your control, and annexing is much more costly than simply moving the borders some!

You know, I really should have asked this rather important question a long-time ago but it only occured to me recently and this is a rather important question: does the game factor in who controls what at the end of a war when letting players and the AI make decisions? In other words, can other countries make selections involving in territory you have occupied and they have not? Like, for example, I'm the Soviet Union and I have overrun all of Eastern Europe before Germany gives in while the Anglo-Americans have met with me on the Elbe. I do a bunch of stuff in the Balkans but generously decide to let the US and British have their say before moving on to Poland and such. During their turn, they annex some Polish and East German territory, where they have no troops and no control. Can that kind of thing mechanically happen?

If Sov has a war goal on Poland they will get Poland cheaper so decisions you make before the war start will affect what you can get in the peace conference. As for your question, I do belive others can liberate/puppet/annex poland if you don't choose it first.

Reactions: