• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1845 seems like it was a bad year for international trade!

Luckily we had that Franco-German war to pull us out of recession :p

I like how at the beginning of the game all of the prices either drop like a rock or fly into the stratosphere.

Yea, the economy behaves somewhat wierd after the start and also sometimes after reloads

*popcorn*beer* Great Update!

I can't wait to see if Germany will ever unite.
And what the plans of those crafty frenchmen are.

And what is going on with all those other countries we hardly hear anything from?
And will the austrian Habsburg successor ever pay a visit to Belgrad?

Last edited:
Deux guerres et une tragedie

The recent years have, no doubt, been quite busy for the French army. In this paper, we aim at analysing the root causes and the end results of the 3 armed conflicts in the last 15 years in an attempt to understand their effect on the future geopolitical scene in Europe.

La Tragedie

The first conflict, the Brunei War (1838-1840) was basically the result of two things:
1. A complete lack of communication between the French and the British diplomats and
2. A terrible misunderstanding of the intentions of both sides by their counterparts.

When the French decided to annex the state of Brunei, noone in the Department of Foreign Affairs or in the War Cabinet was expecting any resistance at all. Incompetence of the worst kind had prevented vital information about an alliance between Brunei and Siam to reach those who planned the campaign. In addition, when Siam did protest, the political leadership at the time decided to ignore this, as they deemed these protests to lack any real backing.

Needless to say, the declaration of war by the British came as a complete surprise. The confusion was so great that the French high command believed that this declaration of war was simply a political game to appease the Siamese who consistently were asking for a British intervention. What is more, noone but the simple fishermen of France had noticed the British fleet closing to our shores. The first news of the blockade came at least a few weeks after it begun and shocked everyone. The sheer number of deaths was staggering. On top of that, the lines of communication with the war in Brunei were completely broken off. One day the generals in command though the war was progressing as planned and the next day they found out, to their dismay, that the French army was being encircled by the Siamese (OOC: Due to OOS I actually thought I was ready to annex Brunei).

In the face of such a dire situation, the French government decided to ask for Russian help. What they could not imagine however, was that this would be the beginning of the end. The intention of the French government was to ask for Russian naval help in order to break the British blockade and save the lives of its citizens starving to death. However, the British misinterpreted this as an organised plot to attack the Home islands and called for their allies to join the war.

Once Prussia joined the war, it was all over. France had no alternative but to sue for peace. The ensuing treaty of London put an end to this war and was for all practical purposes the birthplace of the next two wars. The recognition of the formation of the North German Confederacy was a huge gain for Prussia, which effectively doubled its power through a very smart diplomatic maneuver. Netherlands' semi-annexation of Belgium was a gain also, but did not play an important role in the things to come.

To summarise the peace deal was not harsh by itself, probably because of the international sympathy to th drama of the French people. However the toll of French dead by the blockade was the real tragedy, one that up to this day has stigmatised the French.

La guerre Allemande

The first years following the Brunei War were almost exclusively spent to heal the wounds of the British blockade. The new French government aimed at strengthening the cultural and industrial foundations of the nation by implementing a series of political reforms and putting forward incentives for industrial growth.

The military development was set aside, either deliberately or subconsciously, since it was the military and its jingoistic ambitions that the people of France blamed for the tragedy of 1838-1840. However, this attitude nearly cost France another tragedy.

North Germans, having finally managed to force their neighbours (especially France) to accept a unified North German Federation, saw the troubles of France and the dire consequences of the Brunei war as an opportunity to achieve their ultimate goal, the unification of all the german states. However it was clear both to them and everyone else, that the road to the creation of a Pan-German state had to go through Alsace-Lorraine, a territory with mixed population currently under French rule. To achieve this, they focused on training a most formidable, modern and professional army and expected to take the ill equipped, ill trained and in disarray French military by surprise.

By the end of 1847, NGF had nearly achieved its goal, as its military prowess could not be matched by the French. However, at that point a combination of luck, a series of strategic errors from the Germans and the rise of General Benzaine as the head of War Cabinet in France turned the tide of events.

Colombia, in fear of the rise of an aggressive Brazil, decided to act and launched a pre-emptive strike hoping to contain their neighbour in the south. NGF, a close ally to Brazil, chose to provide military assistance and commited a significant amount of troops and ships to this campaign, thereby delaying the invasion to Alsace-Lorraine.

This delay gave the necessary valuable time to General Benzaine to literally reform the entire French army within 2 years. Priority was given to bringing the French military up-to-date with the latest technological developments and acquiring the state-of-the-art war equipment. The gap between the German and the French professional armies closed considerably within these two years, since the Germans had already exhausted the men who were willing to be conscripted into the army.

When the war finally came, the odds were now in favour of France. The difference in the sophistication and quantity of armament had been eradicated, while the French had the advantage of a superior mobilisation pool in sheer numbers, people who were willing to fight and die for their homeland.

The initial german assaults against the fortified positions in the border were repelled by the French. However, the decisive blow came when General Exelmans found a crack in the supply line of the German army and managed to take the german forts in Saarbrucken almost without a fight. This brilliant maneuver, practically cut the German forces in half and gave France a foothold to invade Rheinland. After that the war was short and NGF had no choice but to ask for peace terms.

The peace negotiations were long and intense and even Russia served as a mediator. However France was adamant in its claim. They argued that since Alsace-Lorraine was the german objective of this war, France had to demand something similar. However, the true motive between this demand was the fact that France knew very well that NGF's desire for Alsace-Lorraine would not die with this war. They knew it would be a matter of time before NGF reorganised and was ready for war. So as far as France was concerned there was only one option, to weaken NGF as more as possible.

NGF had no option but to cede Rheinland. France succeeded in weakening NGF, but also made sure that revanchism would be the dominant force behind NGF geopolitical actions in the near and foreseeable future.

Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the waves! And now, apparently, mainland Europe.

Excellent update. Tell the players this: I support Anglo-American co-operation.

USA will fall soon.

Quote from LeCare
"“Those Brazilians… Always at the wrong place at the wrong time”
- Manuel Carlos, Spanish sailor "

That was really funny.

A Letter from Prince Metternich​

The World History magazine is honoured to have received a letter from one of the greatest politicians and diplomats of our time: Prince Metternich. In it he details his view of the recent Luxemburg Peace conference which is intended to end the Dutch colonial wars. While he certainly has close connections to the K.u.K. Monarchy we cannot say if his opinion coincides with the actual opinion of the Austro-Hungarian government.

The private view of a retired veteran.

One would have expected the Prussians to admit their own shortcomings when it comes around to honouring the spirits of agreements with it's signatory included (no matter the reason for the existance of such a signature) in the recent past before criticizing others about related matters. All nations should be deeply provoked by the confrontative attitude currently being displayed by the North German Confederation in the Luxembourg conference, as they indicate continued disrespect for the treaties violated by Prussia and the North German Confederation in the recent years. If I had been in charge of a participating opponent of Prussia, I would consider this attitude a reason to resume hostilities until a peace with true honour can be achieved.

It is surprising that the Prussians have made no attempts to restore their own credibility among the nations of the world instead of holding grudges against every neighbour not involved in an explicit military cooperation treaty with it. Prussia needs to realize the need for drastic change to avert further disasters for itself, the old alliances need to be abandoned and all relations should be renewed, to enable a new course and new diplomatic strategy to be taken.

I laugh at the whelpish one-eyed and reckless Northerner with his fantastical ambitions, inspired by common street bums.

So much for the best army in Europe. I raise my toast to the victors and those who risked their lives in the two last wars!

Prince Klemens von Metternich

I don't know, but I just looked at the Luxemourgh peace conference on the other forums, and it clearly looked like Britian pulled a loophole out.

Austria should support NGF not try to destroy it.

There can be no balance of power with the French Tri-colour in the Rhineland.
All Austrians should actively mourn at the humiliation and deprivation that has been over the Germans in Alasce, Lorreign, and the Reinland.

If the Austrians want part of their authority as the Holy Roman Emperor back, they should protect all Germans that are being oppressed as a duty, nay a obligation to their German Brethen.

If the Germans of the North can't Watch on the Rhine then the southern ones should pick up the leadership and lead Germania to Victory

I don't know, but I just looked at the Luxemourgh peace conference on the other forums, and it clearly looked like Britian pulled a loophole out.

Austria should support NGF not try to destroy it.

There can be no balance of power with the French Tri-colour in the Rhineland.
All Austrians should actively mourn at the humiliation and deprivation that has been over the Germans in Alasce, Lorreign, and the Reinland.

If the Austrians want part of their authority as the Holy Roman Emperor back, they should protect all Germans that are being oppressed as a duty, nay a obligation to their German Brethen.

If the Germans of the North can't Watch on the Rhine then the southern ones should pick up the leadership and lead Germania to Victory

Wait...there's a place where we can watch the peace conference LIVE? where? I demand coverage!

Wait...there's a place where we can watch the peace conference LIVE? where? I demand coverage!

Not only that but after the next session I will probably also be making a Q&A session where you all will be able to submit question and I will try to get them answered (RP is of course encouraged)

Anything basically (I will make it clearer once I actually make it official). However if you ask things like "Do you have plans to attack xyz" countries retain the right to not answer or possibly even lie.

Our motto at World History magazine:
You ask, we do

V2_MAP_KUK_18531017_1.jpg

Indeed, they have been quite neutral in International politics which has allowed them to do a stunning job on unifying arabia. Egypt is next on their list although they have an agreement with the British about Suez IIRC. Then the only thing in their way for full control of Arabia is the Sardinian(!) yemen