• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Didn't know you were such a Pro-German?

Well, the British are by no means isolationist. They have quite good relations with France at the moment. Also they are now most worried about a "naval race" with Russia. So its bound to stay interesting

I'm not pro-German as such. I'm just anti-French. :D

Definitely didn't see that coming. Were nations not allowed to negotiate for military access (by a former treaty perhaps) or was it something that Germany just didn't consider in their arrogance?

Definitely didn't see that coming. Were nations not allowed to negotiate for military access (by a former treaty perhaps) or was it something that Germany just didn't consider in their arrogance?

It was supposed to be a 1 on 1 war, asking for military access would violate that agreement (nevertheless, NGF did use military access on Luxemborg and I believe Wallonia despite this).

It was supposed to be a 1 on 1 war, asking for military access would violate that agreement (nevertheless, NGF did use military access on Luxemborg and I believe Wallonia despite this).

Makes sense. I wonder how much(if at all) this transgression will cost them in the peace conference. The 2 illegal MIL accesses that is.

Great use of quotes from correspondents, bystanders, etc.

The French and Germans had so many men in some of those provinces that they must have had to sleep standing up.

Makes sense. I wonder how much(if at all) this transgression will cost them in the peace conference. The 2 illegal MIL accesses that is.

Well, as far as I can recall they went through Luxemburg (right to Verdun) but I cant recall that anyone went through Wallonia, well at least not through the ardeness that is.
The peace treaty is signed and it seems like NGF will have to give up the Ruhr and Sigmaringen which seems adequate considering that the French army was getting close to Berlin. But there will be a more comprehensive update on that later.

been lurking on this for a bit, and lurking on the guns of january forums.

Can you outline some blocs for us? It seems Germany(NGF)-dutch-russia-Brazil (?) are trying to form a block.

I don't think annexing the rhineland will help france much, Its just going to piss NGF off and give him reasons to invade you, for the rest of the game. Is NGF a great power?

I'm not pro-German as such. I'm just anti-French. :D

oh, how ungrateful, considering the French just secured your victory in your recent war of independence.
Would you rather kiss the Ring of your Queen Victoria? ;)

I say vive la France! Let the French revolution finally sweep away the outdated governmental form of the Northern-German aggressor! :D

Also I am pleased seeing my home-country Austria-Hungary being so rather successful.
But I still hope that one day Austrian and Hungarian workers will unite and fight side by side for a justified workers revolution.
And if I have to take this on the streets, and face the lackeys of this tyranny by myself.
Onwards for the Social World Republic! :cool:

Can you outline some blocs for us? It seems Germany(NGF)-dutch-russia-Brazil (?) are trying to form a block.

I don't think annexing the rhineland will help france much, Its just going to piss NGF off and give him reasons to invade you, for the rest of the game. Is NGF a great power?

Well there is currently three main blocs:

There is the confederation of independant States which is led by Russia and includes the NGF (which is a great power), the Dutch and Brazil.
Then there is the group which considers all or at least some of the confederation as hostile, which includes UK (bad relations with Russia, Dutch and Brazil), France (bad relations with NGF), Austria (bad relations with NGF)
Thirdly there is the istanbul pact which is somewhat comparable to the Non-aligned movement and contains the Ottoman Empire, Sardinia Piedmont and somewhat Austria is in it too

Btw, I am not sure, we might have some good nations free so if you want to join, just post on the forum

oh, how ungrateful, considering the French just secured your victory in your recent war of independence.

I say vive la France! Let the French revolution finally sweep away the outdated governmental form of the Northern-German aggressor! :D

Also I am pleased seeing my home-country Austria-Hungary being so rather successful.
But I still hope that one day Austrian and Hungarian workers will unite and fight side by side for a justified workers revolution.
And if I have to take this on the streets, and face the lackeys of this tyranny by myself.
Onwards for the Social World Republic! :cool:

Well, for that itll still take some time.
But Brazil is enacting all reforms it can and already has abolished slavery, so we are on the right track :)

Last edited:

I'm not American. :D

I'm Finnish, but having lived in England, I've become very Anglosphere-positive. As for the Anti-France bit, I don't really know why I am anti-French, but the prime suspect is the French I've been forced to learn to no avail since 4th grade. :p

Anyway, I hope the US can beat those damn Mexicans at some point. :)

Cant wait for an update, prefereably one that gives people more insigt of the current politics, and basicly the blocs like you already explained. Oh and when you got time, then edit the names of the players with their nation so its all up to date. :)

I love this! The updates are wonderful. Informative and well written. Further, following the diplomatic exchanges on the other board adds so much. It's fascinating to see how things develop like that.

Cant wait for an update, prefereably one that gives people more insigt of the current politics, and basicly the blocs like you already explained. Oh and when you got time, then edit the names of the players with their nation so its all up to date. :)

Done and Done

I love this! The updates are wonderful. Informative and well written. Further, following the diplomatic exchanges on the other board adds so much. It's fascinating to see how things develop like that.

Thanks,
I agree, it truly is interesting how problems are solved and created. Quite close to the real thing sometimes actually

The Great Game

It seems like the World simply cannot come to rest. The Franco-German war was already the third war that shook Europe in a time span of barely more than 50 years. From Austerlitz to Verdun, the entire continent has already been a battlefield. From the Congress in Vienna to the Treaty of London, nothing seems to be able to establish peace. And now, albeit the guns in the Saarland still smoking, war is on the horizon again… waiting to perform its bloody work.

Russia has been quiet for a long time. The country was weakened by several bankruptcies and a sudden change in administration. But an old saying goes: “when Russia awakens the world trembles”. And the giant’s slumber has now truly come to a close. In a matter of a few years Russia has built a navy that can rival that of France or Great Britain. In addition to that Russia sports an army of nearly a million men, a force that could wreak havoc on every nation that comes in its reach. The United Kingdom has been the leading power for many years now. But with Russia it found an equal opponent.

The core of the current crisis is South Africa. Many years ago Dutch settlers, the Boer, decided to establish their nations there. The government in Amsterdam soon saw their chance to use these brave pioneers to expand their own influence in Africa. London, however, had other plans for the region. They wanted nothing short of the entire area. So they announced their intentions to “punish” the Dutch. Yet neither Russia nor the NGF are ready to accept Britain’s view of crime and punishment. So, to counter British power, they formed the Confederation of Independent states and agreed to protect each other’s interests. This raised the alarms in London and the Empire immediately began to use all of its influence to discredit the Confederation. When Brazil joined the Confederation they responded by extending guarantees to every country bordering Brazil, in direct violation of an earlier Treaty. So clearly the British are willing to risk a confrontation. And it seems the Russians are too.

Comparison.png

A quick comparison of British and Russian power

Currently it is still a “war of the nerves”. Both sides have left the other a chance for compromise. But both sides are also keen on playing the Great Game. Both sides are eager for chances to expand their power. Every action they take is like a move in a game of chess. And so, with their pawns neatly lined up facing each other, escalation is becoming inevitable. The question is, if worse comes to worse, who will emerge victorious? The answer is as simple as unsatisfying: it will depend.
It will depend on three things:

Control of the Sea:
Britain, as an island nation, can only survive if it controls the waters which surround it. Otherwise it is open to invasion. And once the Russians land, the Empire is lost. Further, without a navy, India and Africa will be without reinforcements. So if Russia can wrestle away control of the Sea from Britain, the British will likely have to accept a humiliating defeat. Yet with the British navy being roughly double in size compared to the Russian one, it remains likely that Britain will remain in control.

The Importance of Sea Power:
Britain relies on its navy to project its Power. Works like the “the influence of Sea Power upon History” seem to suggest that Britain’s approach is very effective. In the Brunei War Britain won simply because it could completely blockade its enemies. But will that be enough to beat Russia. Clearly sea power gives Britain two advantages: it can strike where it wants and it can blockade. Yet Russia is huge and has little coast. It is the heartland which, according to geopolitical theory, cannot be defeated or conquered by sea power. Further Russia will not necessarily have to fight at sea at all. They could easily manage to move troops through central Asia into India, striking at the bread basket of the Empire. Without India, British factories will be starved of their supplies. So Britain’s victory will very much depend on how much they can use their sea power to their advantage.

The Importance of Attrition:
In terms of technology and leadership Britain is way ahead of Russia. The Russian army is ill-equipped and commanded by men who deem a frontal attack a superior strategy. So in a war of manoeuvre Britain clearly will win. But in a war of attrition the situation is different. Quite frankly the British could probably ten Russians for every man they lose and still Russia could field a larger army. In Russia manpower is virtually infinite. Further Russia can always give up land to buy time, joyfully watching as their enemies freeze in the winter. The only limiting factor to Russia in a war of attrition is the will of its people to continue fighting. If the Tsar can keep morale up, then any attempt of the British to invade the Russian homelands will lead to his majesty’s army being bled to death.

The real irony of this all is that one gets the feeling that the end of one war, through some hideous hidden law, necessitates the swift beginning of another war. In the Napoleonic wars France was defeated by the UK. In the Brunei War France was fighting the UK again. Again France was defeated. This gave Prussia the chance to expand, drawing France and Germany into war. And now the defeated Germans and their Russian allies demand go against the UK. The circle is closed, but it is not just a shape. It is a ring of fire, designed to kill and trap millions of innocent people. So while the governments are set on war, all that the people desire is a simple exit. Yet is there still one… or is the fire already wild?

Yeah, I'm still a great power, 3rd greatest, I think. That horrible defeat was caused mostly because forts apparently give huge combat bonuses to defenders in PDM. I was losing 3k soldiers per day when I tried to attack them.

Not trying to be a sore loser of course, but the game is certainly becoming more and more interesting

Nice update, by the way, LeCare. :)

Yeah, I'm still a great power, 3rd greatest, I think. That horrible defeat was caused mostly because forts apparently give huge combat bonuses to defenders in PDM. I was losing 3k soldiers per day when I tried to attack them.

Not trying to be a sore loser of course, but the game is certainly becoming more and more interesting

Nice update, by the way, LeCare. :)

Thanks,
And yeah, it is very interesting now. The world is pretty much on the verge of a total war

Btw: IIRC we would need a US sub today. If anyone is interested please do not hesitate to visit us

I think either a world map, or a couple screenshots of India-central asia and central europe would be nice.

Is France an Republic?

Has S German (con)federation been formed?

What players are in Italy?

Is France doing anything after it got foiled in Brunei, but defended itself against NGF?

SPAM! Can someone get a mod? For anone who doesn't know, not many of you I guess, don't touch the links.