Good Game, but not a grand strategy.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot help but agree with the author of this thread. We can just hope that it won't turn into company trend.
it has already turned.... if only Stellaris was Victoria in space... one can dream.

Reactions:
I couldnt agree more.

Good interface, nice sound, graphics engine great, nothing to do with WWII Grand Strategy.

You paint where you troops should go, and you have very little control from there on. It is just big heaps and piles of divisions that you have no connection to, as they are all the same, or easy direct control over. I tried to make 1 division garrison an island in the pacific, that was quite a task. You just end up pushing the piles around on the map instead of leading the formations.

You can produce things without having the ressources to do it ??

I cannot wrap my head around how the supply/logistics thing works, but perhaps with more time i'll get it.

This is an arcade game that are cutting a LOT of corners to make it accessible to people, and the modders are going to have quite a challenge making this better as a lot of the problems seems to be hardcoded mechanics.

The ScienceTree is, said politely, minimalistic and very strangely made.. sometimes the userinterface goes vertical sometimes horizontal.

I´ve been a strategy player for a long time and I have been a looongtime player of Paradox games, i was with them from the beginning with EU1 and HOI1, so i had to see if these new mechanics could grow on me, but so far it is unfortunately just as i had thought from all the discussions here at the forums.

They have made a Hasbro Game this time, with little to no appeal to a hardcore Strategy Gamer like myself, and it is a disappointment.

But I'm gonna give it a go for some days to see if i can put some of my statements to shame.

I agree. This game needs more Transformers.

Reactions:
I don't know.... I am pretty satisfied, I mean it is a grand strategy... meaning I am not going to micro every unit, every hour. I can, but I won't because that is not what grand strategy is about... If you want micro everything go CoH not HoI. I enjoy encircling enemy divisions as any other dude but it is not necessarily the most important part for me. I like the focus tree because it gives good abstraction of what nations and governments were ... well focusing on, they need balancing and probably longer times ( or not generic times like 70 days on each one ). All in all I find it enjoyable.

Reactions:
No-one needs to insult your intelligence, you do that when you suggest this is an arcade game.

If you are seriously saying this falls into the same category as pacman and sonic the hedgehog then you couldn't be further from the truth.

Reactions:
Why? Because there are going to be thousands of people playing Tibet, or some other random minor very few people know about, and those people will want a unique gameplay. It's for the same reason that insignificant nations like Dahomey have their own ideas in EU4.

I think that is the problem, you can play insignificant countries in EU because over hundreds of years you can develop and expand them but in HOI its less the 10 years so if you play Tibet your level of game play should be almost at zero.

That is not to say you cannot make a game that allows you to play Tibet and have fun but very few developers making a WWII Strategy game would waste their time trying to do this because the logic of making Tibet playable means that playing a Major becomes incredibly easy.

Reactions:
You say you can put Tibet at the same level as Germany... euh ok... factories, manpower ?
Research is great but you need production and manpower. Maybe on that part AI isn't doing enough.

After I agree that the game is more a strategy game than a grand strategy one.

Reactions:
What makes me really disconnected to the game and the warfare are generals, chain of command and how this element has been cut down compared to HoI3. In HoI3 the player was able to witness how his generals gain experience at each command level, promote them if he so desired and assign them to higher level of command (corps, division, army and army group). Now with effectively one layer of command at the army level a choice between general and field marshal is merely a choice of a person with better skill level (unless one wants to have more than 24 divisions under one leader). Removing this element makes fighting a war less intriguing experience as particular leaders do not differ from one another and by this each of them does not matter that much as it is not unique (and a WWII strategy game should be pretty much about leaders the player wants to succeed through). Hope this can be modded in, otherwise it would be a serious disadvantage of this instalment to me.

Reactions:
I appreciate that many prefer the streamlined experience. But I'm that guy who spends 5 hours playing through one month during Barbarossa. I like to have the ability to monitor every tiny detail and perform elaborate offensives and well though out and structured defences. But this game just looks like "build a million infantry and right click on Moscow". Shame.

Reactions:
If you redefine grand strategy and arcade and casual as you have then I agree with you.

In the same way as if I define chocolate cake as being concrete breeze blocks then I have a house made of chocolate cake.

Reactions:
I don't know.... I am pretty satisfied, I mean it is a grand strategy... meaning I am not going to micro every unit, every hour. I can, but I won't because that is not what grand strategy is about... If you want micro everything go CoH not HoI. I enjoy encircling enemy divisions as any other dude but it is not necessarily the most important part for me. I like the focus tree because it gives good abstraction of what nations and governments were ... well focusing on, they need balancing and probably longer times ( or not generic times like 70 days on each one ). All in all I find it enjoyable.

Well for you its money well spent, thats good :)

Reactions:
I really don't want to agree with OP and go into the whole "filthy casual!" territory, but I do :( I spent 8 hours with the game yesterday, but today I'm going back to Darkest Hour. Its a nice game, and I like it, but its just missing something.

Reactions:
If even 3rd world countries like Tibet can go head to head with Germany with nuclear and jet air power by 1942, you've just taken away all grand strategy aspects in the game across the board, and turned it into a glorified Risk with more combat mechanics.
Let's see some screenies from this game of yours where you took on Germany with your jets and nukes. :rolleyes:
So far all you've shown is that you tech-rushed jet engines and atomic research from the very beginning of the game. That hardly amounts to a devastating criticism of how it plays.

Reactions:
Said in a short sentence.

Tthe wonderful immersive MOD BlackICE would not be possible to make for this game.

That says it all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Yeah, Paradox is no longer the company for grand strategy. EUIV and Stellaris were dumbed down or not smart from the start.
I played Hoi DD, DH, ck2 and EUIII to death but the newer games all seems simplistic.
I hope other (small privately owned) companies will fill the grand strategy void.

Reactions:
Yeah, Paradox is no longer the company for grand strategy. EUIV and Stellaris were dumbed down or not smart from the start.
I played Hoi DD, DH, ck2 and EUIII to death but the newer games all seems simplistic.
I hope other (small privately owned) companies will fill the grand strategy void.

Sorry mate looks like you haven't tried Stellaris or HoI 4 yet, maybe give them a go first? Also, EuIV, did you try it recently (with some DLC?)
I agree with you, streamlining the UI is a sin. Grand Strategy shouldn't be understandable by the common folk.

Reactions:
Arcade. Lol.

I thought he was just being dramatic until I loaded up the game...

4RpRduf.jpg

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.