Good Game, but not a grand strategy.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is anyone even arguing about this? If you like the game and others don't it's only them who are missing out, and if you think it's the Antichrist you have plenty of other options.

Reactions:
It is a matter of taste, I prefer HOI4 than HOI3 due to fact that the latter gave me only unnecessary micromanagement that had little effect on game. Let’s take OOB as example. It took a lot of time to place your divisions and to set chain of command for a country like SU or Germany and after the Barbarossa starts I paid little attention to my chain of command. After the front moved for around 100-200 km I simply checked whether there are any red lines and if so: detach, attach to the nearest, and if there is non click for a new one and place a leader. Repeat this exercise every 100-200 km or so. It maybe gave some immersion but for me it was unnecessary micromanagement.

We should also remember that we are basically comparing a newly realised game with a game that has tons of patches, dlcs and mods. HOI3 was a disaster at the beginning, and I am sure that HOI4 will get better with time as every game from Paradox.

Reactions:
It is a matter of taste, I prefer HOI4 than HOI3 due to fact that the latter gave me only unnecessary micromanagement that had little effect on game. Let’s take OOB as example. It took a lot of time to place your divisions and to set chain of command for a country like SU or Germany and after the Barbarossa starts I paid little attention to my chain of command. After the front moved for around 100-200 km I simply checked whether there are any red lines and if so: detach, attach to the nearest, and if there is non click for a new one and place a leader. Repeat this exercise every 100-200 km or so. It maybe gave some immersion but for me it was unnecessary micromanagement.

We should also remember that we are basically comparing a newly realised game with a game that has tons of patches, dlcs and mods. HOI3 was a disaster at the beginning, and I am sure that HOI4 will get better with time as every game from Paradox.
The problem was not the OOB then but a function in the game that should have done the reassignment for you.
The OOB gives you immersion and should be there if you like grand strategy games. If you don't care about it, then, there is no need of any OOB and you can put directly under the control of a single person 1000 divisions. I am looking forward the Tibetan world conquest and the Tibetan colonization of Mars.

Last edited:
Reactions:
HoI4 = EU4 in WW2, it is still a good game but it isn't a successor of HoI3! Unfortunately! Well, it has a good potential to become a good strategy game, but as of now, the strategy element is somewhat neglected.

Reactions:
I remember people complaining for EU4 on release cause trade was too simple comparing to EU3 and things were easier and user friendly. But after 4 years EU4 is one of the best grand strategy games. Also the pool of people who would play a much more complex HOI IV would be a lot smaller than the current one. When you're thinking about how to make a game your approach would be to go for a more simplistic interface at first and then build up to it. Give some time to the devs, let them read the complains, fix bugs and issues and i believe this game will become a gem

Reactions:
I thought he was just being dramatic until I loaded up the game...

4RpRduf.jpg

Genuinely laughed at this. Brilliant

Reactions:
I remember people complaining for EU4 on release cause trade was too simple comparing to EU3 and things were easier and user friendly. But after 4 years EU4 is one of the best grand strategy games. Also the pool of people who would play a much more complex HOI IV would be a lot smaller than the current one. When you're thinking about how to make a game your approach would be to go for a more simplistic interface at first and then build up to it. Give some time to the devs, let them read the complains, fix bugs and issues and i believe this game will become a gem
Are you suggesting to wait 4 years to get a grand strategy game?

Reactions:
No-one needs to insult your intelligence, you do that when you suggest this is an arcade game.

If you are seriously saying this falls into the same category as pacman and sonic the hedgehog then you couldn't be further from the truth.

aye, Sonic or Pacman are more engaging

[/sarcasm off]

Reactions:
So... What is your own, personal definition of Grand Strategy (give examples) and your own, personal definition of Arcade (give examples, I am not English so Arcade = Street Fighter for me but I couldn't find how to land combos as Italy last night!)

I honestly don't think "grand strategy" is a personal "Definition". If a person considered tic tac toe a grand strategy they'd be flat out wrong for various reasons.

Lets take a look at HOI 4. You can build things without needing the resources. Before you couldn't. This is a grand strategy bit that's gone. Now you're slightly slapped on the hand for not strategizing ahead of time, most of which the slap isn't enough to over all hurt your goal. This turns it into an arcade mechanic.

Another example is the trade. You can trade with factions you have no port connection or land connections with. Why and how? This is yet another arcade mechanic. You no longer have to strategize long term yet again in gaining and holding key friends on your path to domination to secure those trade routes. No worry, the arcade mechanic has your back yet again.

Yet another example in the trade is the convoys. It's simplified to needing ships, 24/7. Even next door neighbors land locked, requires ship convoys, notice that? Why? Yet again a simplified version, no longer do you have to strategize again long term of land or naval trade, and who's what, and where. Simplifed, arcade.

I could keep going with examples. To sum it up though my very definition of an arcade game is one like Risk. Where realism, and or logic/common sense is out the window and instead replaced with gamey mechanics just to get the job done. Which is what HOI 4 does in almost every single mechanic it has. Where as past games relied on common sense, more realistic factors to determine the outcome. You can't trade with a faction you are in no way connected too. If you dont have the resources you can't do the job, plain and simple. Stuff like that.

Saying the game is arcade like doesn't reinforce your point, it's exaggeration to the point of the ridiculous.

The focus trees are unbalanced, especially the generic. They will change it I'm sure.

Really? So all the stuff I posted in the response above doesn't make this an arcade gamey game with no basis of grand strategy? Interesting. Next you'll tell me World of Warships is a great example of a realistic WW II Naval Simulation.

I should point out that is exactly what the OP does not want but could you please explain why Tibet should have its own focus tree and why it even remotely matters for such a short time period?

Tibet focuses on building more Temples 0.000123% to overall military Production, first Armoured Division should now be built by 2024.

Tibet and any minor faction for that matter doesn't need its own focus. Hell they could throw away focuses for minors all together or give minor bonuses to being able to politically switch easier just to mix things up. Focus's across the board need a massive nerf to everything as is.

No-one needs to insult your intelligence, you do that when you suggest this is an arcade game.

If you are seriously saying this falls into the same category as pacman and sonic the hedgehog then you couldn't be further from the truth.

Read above.

Also I'm finding it very hilarious people are thinking I'm comparing this game to sonic in terms of arcade. You know Arcade doesn't necessarily mean the quarter slot games we used to play as a kid right?

Seriously, you insult your own intelligence by trying to turn my words against me, and changing what I mean, or what I'm trying to say. If you can't figure out from my numerous examples, and descriptions what I mean by Arcade, you've just re insulted your own intelligence for a second time in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think OP is simply trolling or something. Paradox clearly said loong time ago that this game would be a sandbox. And OP still acts surprised lol

Reactions:
To sum it up though my very definition of an arcade game is one like Risk. Where realism, and or logic/common sense is out the window and instead replaced with gamey mechanics just to get the job done.
have you actually played Risk? it's really simple game, I could call it arcadey, but I don't know of gamey mechanics there, too simple for that imho.

what most people don't understand who critize the authour of this thread is that it is not about a bad game but that Paradox no longer produces games they were famous for.
Hardcore strategy

Reactions:
This HoI4 vanilla release is not the end, its the end of the beginning ;) I am sure there is much more in the pipeline, what is released now is only the bare basic game to keep us hungry for more. I expect the release of many game add-on's (as happend with games as CK2 and EU4 too) during the next months and years for additional game complexity and depth. If you like it or not, it's part of Paradox understandable sales policy.

Reactions:
Are you suggesting to wait 4 years to get a grand strategy game?

I'm suggesting that if you want a game to be perfect in every aspect of it from the first day then you're living on the wrong universe. Can you compare EU4 2016 with EU4 2012? Yes obviously experienced players of HOI 3 will definitely find the game too easy and they're gonna have to wait for some mods and more patches to enjoy it. But for a player like me with 0 experience on HOI series the game so far is fullfilling

Reactions:
It was their pre-order, and the refund system does exist. If the game's that bad it should be fairly obvious after 2 hours of gameplay.

No. Not in a game like HoI, EU and Stellaris. 2 hours are simply not enough to judge this kind of games in a fair and appropriate way.

Reactions:
I honestly don't think "grand strategy" is a personal "Definition". If a person considered tic tac toe a grand strategy they'd be flat out wrong for various reasons.

Lets take a look at HOI 4. You can build things without needing the resources. Before you couldn't. This is a grand strategy bit that's gone. Now you're slightly slapped on the hand for not strategizing ahead of time, most of which the slap isn't enough to over all hurt your goal. This turns it into an arcade mechanic.

Another example is the trade. You can trade with factions you have no port connection or land connections with. Why and how? This is yet another arcade mechanic. You no longer have to strategize long term yet again in gaining and holding key friends on your path to domination to secure those trade routes. No worry, the arcade mechanic has your back yet again.

Yet another example in the trade is the convoys. It's simplified to needing ships, 24/7. Even next door neighbors land locked, requires ship convoys, notice that? Why? Yet again a simplified version, no longer do you have to strategize again long term of land or naval trade, and who's what, and where. Simplifed, arcade.

I could keep going with examples. To sum it up though my very definition of an arcade game is one like Risk. Where realism, and or logic/common sense is out the window and instead replaced with gamey mechanics just to get the job done. Which is what HOI 4 does in almost every single mechanic it has. Where as past games relied on common sense, more realistic factors to determine the outcome. You can't trade with a faction you are in no way connected too. If you dont have the resources you can't do the job, plain and simple. Stuff like that.

Really? So all the stuff I posted in the response above doesn't make this an arcade gamey game with no basis of grand strategy? Interesting. Next you'll tell me World of Warships is a great example of a realistic WW II Naval Simulation.

Tibet and any minor faction for that matter doesn't need its own focus. Hell they could throw away focuses for minors all together or give minor bonuses to being able to politically switch easier just to mix things up. Focus's across the board need a massive nerf to everything as is.
May I add that there are no planes (as they are abstracted) therefore bombers pass trough and bombs+paratroopers are teleported? May I add that there no supplies? May I add that there is no fuel? May I add that ships are built with all the needed supply/fuel requirement for their full existence independently if they are sunk the same day or if they are scrapped after 100 years?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.