• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
~ Communique to President Jarvis following the announcement of the Cabinet ~
I was quite surprised when I woke this morning to discover that I, a Captain in the California Rangers, had been chosen for such a senior cabinet position by the President himself - the Secretary of War no less! Needless to say, I am extremely humbled to have even been considered, and am thankful for the appointment. I look forward to carrying out my duties as Secretary of War alongside such well-respected political figures of our nation, and hope to begin these duties as soon as possible.

- William S. Haley, Secretary of War​

Announcement of the California Pacific Railway Company
The Pacific Railway Company officially offers to buy out Mr. Albert Sheridan and his partner's company. We are willing to do this via a lump some of cash, as the company currently only holds land in San Francisco we are willing to offer 5,000 dollars in a buy out.

Should you not find this acceptable we offer a merger in which we will increase the number of stocks available in the California Pacific Railway Company to match the value of your company Mr. Sheridan so that you and your partner loose nothing on the deal and stay in the game allowing both of you to sell off your shares at a later time for a greater price.

If the two previous offers are found to be unacceptable we would be interested in an agreement in which it is agreed that all railways south of San Francisco are to be developed by the California Pacific Railway Company and everything north will go to your company Mr. Sheridan.

We believe that any of these three agreements would greatly help both of our companies in these trying times by allowing us to monopolize the market and to work as one unit to develop more line and bring in more costumers.

Suggestion for the Official Reorganization of the Californian Armed Forces
From the Office of the Secretary of War
The Californian Army as it currently stands is a badly unorganized force, with an unclear chain of command and only a vague semblance of structure. The changes outlined below would attempt to correct the haphazardness of the armed forces and aim to turn them into a more clearly defined organization.

The Californian standing army, consisting of 2,000 men, is to be remade into the First Army and placed under the command of Major General Nikolay Gagarin. The Army will be commanded by from the Sonoma Barracks Military HQ.

The First Army is to be further divided into two battalions, each consisting of 1,000 men.

The First Battalion will be placed under the command of General Dalman (jacobl), promoted from Major, and will be stationed in the city of Monterrey.

The Second Battalion will be placed under the command of Lieutenant Colonel George Gowan (LatinKaiser), promoted from Major, and will be stationed in Santa Barbara.

In addition to the changes to the standing army, the California Rangers, consisting of 350 men under the command of Major Henry McAlistor (Korona), will continue their operations in the east from Fort Albuquerque.

The New Mexico Volunteers will be remolded into the California Reserves, a reserve force of which the commander has not yet been specified.

A chart has been provided below, presenting the same information expressed above:

1st Army (2,000 men)
General: Major General Gagarin
Commanded from Sonoma Barracks Military HQ

1st Battalion (1,000 men)
Battalion Commander: Lt. Colonel Dalman
Stationed in the Presidio of Monterrey

2nd Battallion (1,000 men)
Battalion Commander: Lt. Colonel Gowan
Stationed in the Presidio of Santa Barbara
California Rangers (350 men)
Commander: Major McAlistor
Stationed on the Eastern Frontier, operating out of Fort Albuquerque

Last edited:
Upon hearing that he is to be demoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, or "promoted" from the rank of Major, Gowan has a hearty chuckle.

A letter written by Isaac Leonard Shaw to his father, Edward James.

----

12th of January, 1850

Dearest Father,

I hope this letter finds you in health better than what Mother has told me. I know the past several years on the plantation have likely been very strenuous, what with the passing of dear dear William; and I regret more than anything that I was not at his side, as you were, in his last moments. Not a day passes where I do not think of him.

There are certain things I wish for you and Mother to know that have transpired in this young Republic. Since our last correspondence nearly one year ago, much has happened; and the mail truly does take long to travel the mountains and plains, and sometimes it does not reach the States at all; and I do hope sincerely that you can respond post-haste upon receiving this letter, so that I may not in vain write another.

Violence of the highest kind has nearly torn the whole State asunder but, has I suspected, the forces of the Laws finally secured the safety of the Republic and her citizens. Mr. Sinclair – who, if you manage to recall, I described to you in great description several years ago – attempted leading the miltias in open rebellion against the President, but after declared opposition – both from myself and from many of the fair citizens of California – he sought a compromise with the President. In the end, the forces of the Government and of Mr. Sinclair joined together and fought the slavers of the Republic, who made their castle the South; and I am sorry to tell you that many of them perished in the fighting.

With slavery fully abolished throughout the Nation – which I know is a great point of divergence in our thinking – the miltias and Rangers have slowly undergone organization to carry out illegal anti-slaver operations and to enforce the Laws of the Republic. Surely it will be a most difficult operation, but necessary to ensure the authority of the State is upheld in the more lawless areas of the country.

I finally wish to inform you that I have observed for some time a woman of the most exquisite beauty; though I imagine it will be to your chagrin when I say she is not of Anglo blood; her name is Isabel. Nevertheless she speaks the Language quite well – more fluently, perhaps, than her fairer-skinned counterparts – and comes from a father by the name of Mr. Rosario, a banker native to Los Angeles. He too is a respectable man – though, I sadly admit, a member of the National Democrats and subscriber to the doctrine of Mr. Sinclair and the late Mr. Somerville – and there is no worry in that regard. I hope some day to marry this woman as she is already the love of my life.

Please do send Mother my regards and my love, and to tell her my new state; and I anticipate greatly your response and news from Maryland.

Your son always,

Sincerely
Isaac Leonard

Senor Presidente., I humbly ask that you consider filling the vaccant positions of the California Supreme Court. We have no justices on the court, and without the court, we do not have a judiciary branch of government, making our government 2/3 fully operational.

-Juan Manuel

Upon hearing that he is to be demoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, or "promoted" from the rank of Major, Gowan has a hearty chuckle.

((Lieutenant Colonel is a higher rank than Major ...))

Reactions:
((You already killed 100 civilians, don't press your luck on military commissions))

((You can blame baboush for that one.))

Reactions:
The San Francisco Bay Trading and Ferry Company

The San Francisco Bay Trading and Ferry Company is pleased to annouce that the company will setting up several new stores in the cities and settlements of San Francisco, San Jose, Monterry,Santa Barabra, Los Angeles, San Diego, and New Helvetica. The new stores will sell goods at competative prices directly to consumers at lower costs. The Company will also maintain its wholesale business and other trading concerns and services.

I am of course disappointed by President Jarvis' refusal to adequately consult the governing coalition in Congress regarding his Cabinet selection, an act which damages rather than repairs the ties between the legislature and the executive. However, I must remind myself that his decisions are ultimately his to make, no matter how disappointing I may find them. The Republic will stand, regardless.

In any event, I respectfully decline the opportunity to be Secretary of a Navy that doesn't exist. Besides, I get confused when people ask me about ploughing the ocean waves. Generally my response is to say, "Sure; do I get a horse to pull it?"

I also voluntarily relinquish my command of the Army of California to my good friend General Dalman. I'm sure that his knowledge and ability will be of singular aid to the new Secretary of War. I encourage all those who fought under me in the recent unrest to continue to serve California and aid in bringing law and stability to our troubled nation as part of the standing army.

I will retain my leadership of the National-Democratic Party and look forward to crafting a comprehensive legislative agenda with my friend and colleague Mr. Guzman. Together, I believe that we can bring California back together again.

Alexander Ulysses Sinclair

Albert is confused by the most recent announcement of the California Pacific Railway Company and sends a letter to its owner, Samuel Owings, in response.

Mr. Owings,

I do believe you have me confused with one of the many businessmen residing in California. I am not the co-owner of a company based in San Francisco but a humble servant of the people of Los Angeles, representing them in the National Assembly. It would be best if you sort things out and issue another announcement with the name of the correct individual as I am certain this business offer of yours is of great importance to your company. I wish you the best of luck in your future business endeavors.

~ Albert Augustus Sheridan
Assemblyman from Los Angeles

Last edited:
ec09762b30b34c1ccc077a9e12ae88ac.jpg

Character Name: William James Royce "the Five Points Kid"
Born: April 22nd, 1823, Five Points, New York City (27 years old)

Little is known of Royce's childhood outside of what he tells those around him when enjoying a round of whiskey in whatever small town he passes through. He was born in the Five Points to a prostitute mother who died from exposure during the Winter of 1829. He was taken in by a nativist gang which he found work as a petty thief and soldier on the streets. Other than those few details he often explains that he ended up falling in love with the wrong girl and was forced to leave New York City nine months ago by joining the army and being stationed near the Texas border. The military life didn't sit well with him and he ended up deserting a few week ago and drifting into the newly established Californian Republic.

He has so far survived by petty theft but he's looking to make a better living by building a posse and robbing stagecoaches and banks soon.​

The Five Points Kid - Santa Fe

"Your watch or your life, partner." the Kid said with his hair greased back and his eyes so hard that it darkened his youthful glow

An older man dressed in fine clothes reaked of the scent of oriental pleasure and whiskey. He was not afraid due to his intoxication but his fumbling about his pockets and wrist agitated William Royce who losing patience struck the man with the butt of his rifle. There was no time for coddling old men numbed by Chinese tobacco. He pilfered through his pockets and clothes finding ten dollars, a gold watch, and a bottle of Tennessee whiskey.

"I'll be taking these, gent." the Kid said with a grin that could swoon the female heart in any territory. He placed everything in his jacket pocket and won the battle against temptation to wear the watch. A low profile is imperative for a thief mind you.

The night was quiet and the breeze brought a chill in the desert town. Riding into town he read the sign, "...Santa...Fa..Fa..Fe.." a place he found awful and boring. There was only a smattering of simple housing but there was a saloon and tonight that was the only thing left to pursuit. The Kid walked in between the houses and down side roads to avoid any undue attention. He arrived at the Santa Fe Saloon, he thought about how every little town out west seemed to run out of naming ideas. In New York there were little corner pubs and gambling spots with names from far off homelands. After Texas he had hoped to find something..less quaint but nonetheless they had whiskey and he had plenty of dollars.

"Whiskey and the bottle." he said to the bartender

"That'll be two dollars." a glass and full bottle was put down on the dusty wood table, the bartender looked over the Kid with his one good eye before deciding he was no trouble.

There were a few white men playing poker and a group of Indians drinking and standing with stoic faces. A prostitute who wasn't worth the whiskey sat flirting with the bartender. The Kid thought he had to get the hell out of this town as quickly as possible and took to the ambition of finishing the bottle.

Having barely escaped San Francisco with his life, Badger Billy O'Dea arrives in Oahu, offering his services to King Kamehamea. His ship, the Truelove, is refit from a whaler into a merchantman for the China trade, sailing from the Oregon Country to Shanghai. For the rest of his days, O'Dea avoids California, calling it a rutting lunatic asylum, and strongly advises anyone who will listen to do the same.

To Henry J. Jarvis, President of California;
From Dr. Júpiter Arreola, A.M. for San Francisco

Dear Mr. President,

I wish first to offer my congratulations on your navigation of the recent turmoil fomented by various elements of the political class. I was blessed by Providence in that both my main interests and I were spared from the worst of the damage, yet I know many who were not. Therefore, your pragmatism in dealing with events has my lasting respect.

Moving to happier business, however, I was intrigued when reading the details of the latest shuffling of positions within your Cabinet that my services are apparently desired in the Department of Commerce. It is more than possible that there has merely been a case of mistaken identities (I, for example, am not the Dr. Júpiter Arreola of the California Association; rather, I am Dr. Júpiter Arreola: independent member of the assembly for San Francsico,) though notwithstanding such a mishap, I should be greatly obliged if you were to perhaps offer an account of why my services in particular are felt prudent for the proper administration of the department.

To offer an illustration of my misgivings, whist I am a highly-qualified physician and educator of some standing within my community, I have never in my professional life conducted any profound business within the nexus of commerce, labour or trade – hence my query.

If it is your belief that my abilities as a medical professional lend themselves naturally to occupying such a vital role within the development of our nascent republic's economy, then I will not be the one to contradict you. If, however, your choice was based on other unknown factors, then I humbly request that, pending further clarification from your office should you graciously dispense it, I am allowed some time to think over the matter. It is not my intention to rush head-long into office for the mere sake of being able to later boast of having held it.

I am, Sir, your most humble servant,

Dr. Júpiter Arreola

It is with great pleasure that construction has started on the

Stevenson Owings Cannery Company

This company is created through a partnership between Mr. Stevenson and Mr. Owings and is based in San Francisco.

The vision is to provide long preserved and nourishing food to the hardworking men of California.