• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know how many days it's taken me to read this, but I have enjoyed every installment. Excellent work! I'm also glad that you've been working on a HOI2 sequel. It's hard for me to imagine reading this over the course of two years as it slowly unfolded, but I'm impressed with the level of commitment you put into writing it and the commitment of those that read it and kept you energized. And after another year has passed since it finished, it's still popular! Quite the testimony there. I wish more than ever that I had Vicky myself. I have EU3 and HOI2, but lack the oh so crucial period of the industrial revolution. In many ways, Vicky sounds the most of fun of them all! I'd love to get my hands on Crusader Kings too - just to found my own dynasty and then be able to see it through until 1953! :D

Anyway, very well done!

Dearnen said:
I don't know how many days it's taken me to read this, but I have enjoyed every installment. Excellent work! I'm also glad that you've been working on a HOI2 sequel. It's hard for me to imagine reading this over the course of two years as it slowly unfolded, but I'm impressed with the level of commitment you put into writing it and the commitment of those that read it and kept you energized. And after another year has passed since it finished, it's still popular! Quite the testimony there. I wish more than ever that I had Vicky myself. I have EU3 and HOI2, but lack the oh so crucial period of the industrial revolution. In many ways, Vicky sounds the most of fun of them all! I'd love to get my hands on Crusader Kings too - just to found my own dynasty and then be able to see it through until 1953! :D

Anyway, very well done!
Thank you, Dearnen! I'd love to have all of them, also, and time to play them. I guess I do have all of Paradox' official major title releases except for CK (and EU I). But what I unfortunately lack is time to play. Ah well. :rolleyes: I do recommend Victoria as probably the best of all of these games because of the level of detail it portrays, over so many years. EU 3 is fine, and all, but it's relatively superficial compared to all the things Victoria simulates. And HOI is more of a military simulator, for obvious reasons. Victoria really has it all!

But thank you very much for your kind words! Over that 2 years, I believe I fairly regularly maintained a regimen of 1 post every 2 days, on average. Sometimes it would be 1 a week, but then I would go into some "mini-series" and post 1 or 2 a day. It's hard to know, from this end, how it seemed for readers, but folks seemed to enjoy it.

As to the HOI sequel... I did actually get to work on it for a while last night, diving into the event folders to see what would need to change. The answer is, unfortunately, quite a bit. It's amazing the complex engine that runs this game. But I'm now quite a bit closer to actually getting it set so I can make test runs.

And M4Emperior and Baneslave... I'll be using usendit.com for the files, but I found last night that I don't guess I have the save files on my current laptop. I actually should re-check, because I'm pretty sure I've played it on there, but I didn't find them last night. I think I need your e-mail address. Will be in touch. :D

Rensslaer

Okay... since more than one person requested, and since I'm vaguely aware that we can post files here, rather than sending by e-mail, I figured I'd try this.

Presumably, you must have version 1.03b installed for these files to work perfectly, though they may work fine with later versions.

I did also have DarkRenown's German mod installed, but as far as I know that dealt primarily with squashing Bavarian mega-armies, and Bavaria doesn't even exist in any of these savefiles. It's possible that his mod has some other effect, but I'm thinking probably not.

I stupidly uploaded the main files separately from the .eug files, so you'll need to install both for each savegame from the .rars.

I've uploaded two files -- one from 1883 before the democratizing reforms of Kaiser Friedrich III, and one from 1890, afterward.

I've got another file to upload, but I guess I can't put too many files up at once.

Thanks for your interest! :D

I'd be curious to hear what you do with them.

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Here are the files from the end of the Fire Warms game.

Note that these files are from Dec 1919, just after the war with the USA ended. All of my save files from 1920 were used for the Epilogic posts, and have silly events firing off like Italy annexes Albania and about 30 other things that I didn't want to pass along (because most of the events don't work unless you hand-fire them!).

I guess those events might not have had any game effect, since you don't have the event files, but trust me nothing really happened in the game after this Dec 1919 point. This is essentially the end of the game.

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Rensslaer: ...but can you imagine that about every 5th update isn't there???!!!

hmmm. the type size seems to be about 25 percent smaller.

more hmmm. the page size going from 25 to 20 would also give that impression, yes ? ? :confused:

Somewhy they switched from 25 posts per page to 20 posts, so my AAR grew from about 120 pages to 160! Not all at once. It's still growing amazingly, to tell you the truth, for an AAR that's long finished.

I'm itching to get back to the Fire Warms conversion, but EU 3 and some other writing projects have my attention right now. Soon.

Anybody else still reading this? :)

Rensslaer

I'm still watching this space, hoping for news of your Fire Warms sequel. ;) Maybe I'll have to go back and read some of this again.

I have spent about the past 3 days reading this most of it in the last 36 hours and it’s near that top of my best AAR list along with Where The Iron Cross Grows (hoi1) Empire Of Fu Manchu (hoi1+2) and Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World (EU3) and as you can see it’s the first Victoria AAR on that list (but I have hardly read any) and I am looking forward to seeing it continue on HOI2.

And now to go read your EU3 AAR which I spotted first but decided to read this as I currently have a random fascination in playing as Prussia in EU3.

Deamon said:
Thinking about it but it ehm a little bit much to read for the 3rd time...
Wow! I don't think even I have read the whole thing 3 times! Maybe if you add together all the parts I've read in parts.

VILenin said:
I'm still watching this space, hoping for news of your Fire Warms sequel. ;) Maybe I'll have to go back and read some of this again.
That would be cool! :D I've finished the Index (linked on the front page), which maybe will make it easier for you to find things.

ladybug said:
I have spent about the past 3 days reading this most of it in the last 36 hours and it’s near that top of my best AAR list along with Where The Iron Cross Grows (hoi1) Empire Of Fu Manchu (hoi1+2) and Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World (EU3) and as you can see it’s the first Victoria AAR on that list (but I have hardly read any) and I am looking forward to seeing it continue on HOI2.

And now to go read your EU3 AAR which I spotted first but decided to read this as I currently have a random fascination in playing as Prussia in EU3.
I'm impressed that you could get through the whole thing in 3 days! Ladybug, thank you! And welcome! To be compared to those other auspicious authors -- The Yogi, and Canonized -- I'm very flattered! Their works are certainly among the best that has appeared on these forums. I believe I'm in great company with these and other very highly talented authors. It's really remarkable how much quality exists here.

Thanks to each of you (the three of you, and the whole of you who've made such statements) very much for expressing your enjoyment of the story -- it really means alot to me! And, naturally, it gives me confidence and determination to try to get stuff published!

Anyone ever try those savegames I posted?

Rensslaer

That’s twice people have commented on my reading speed when I think I am a slow reader maybe its just because I don’t have a job and am currently on summer holiday starting university in a few weeks. or maybe I just am fast I can get though the big Harry Potter books in a day which compared to people I know is fast but I saw a program in TV where people could get though it in about 6 hours.

ladybug said:
That’s twice people have commented on my reading speed when I think I am a slow reader maybe its just because I don’t have a job and am currently on summer holiday starting university in a few weeks. or maybe I just am fast I can get though the big Harry Potter books in a day which compared to people I know is fast but I saw a program in TV where people could get though it in about 6 hours.
I'm a really slow reader, actually. It would probably take me several days working for a couple-three hours a day to go through all of this tome. But you're pretty fast, even compared to many others who've read this. I've seen several people say they read it over 2-3 days, a few hours at a time.

Can't hide the obvious -- it's a really, really big story! :D

I always enjoy hearing when other folks are reading, though. Thanks for letting me know!

Rensslaer

Just a note of thanks for all those folks who are still reading this enormous story!

We've just passed 170,000 views here (the same week I passed 150,000 views on my Sforza EU III AAR!). The viewcount continues to grow by dozens or hundreds a week even though the story has been complete for more than a year! Just 6 months ago, we passed 140,000 which means there are about 2,000 views per week still! :eek: I am so appreciative that you have taken the time to read the story which I poured my heart and soul into.

I'm always glad to hear what any new or continuing readers have to say about what their favorite scenes are, etc. Feedback like that warms an author's heart, and helps stoke the fires that drive our creativity!

Thank you!

Rensslaer

Riptide said:
I wonder if you updated to Revolutions, could you do the DD converter? If not, can we still expect a contnuation within the decade?

:p
I'm in a period of flux, right now. Not sure what to do, as I'm awaiting some information, as well as waiting for time to continue the Mod. How's that for a vague statement, tending toward cliffhanger? :D

I couldn't do the conversion through the Revolutions converter because it wasn't out when I started the Mod from scratch, and by the time it was, I was too far along.

I'm now about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way finished with the Mod, just have some tedious event surgery and tech tree stuff to complete. And plugging leaders and tech teams in, etc.

In time... We'll see. :)

Thank you for your interest!

Rensslaer

For anyone who is the least bit interested, I am now posting Fire Warms in German on the Deutsches Forum, in a desperate attempt to not only learn how to speak/write German better (I took classes in college, but couldn't pass the advanced classes), but meantime to also reach out to those folks who might have the most interest in reading the story.

AAR - Feuer wärmt die Nordländer

I'm probably doing a terrible job translating -- using Google Translate as an alternative to flipping pages and losing finger skin thumbing through a dictionary (Google Translate Beta is actually ten times better than any auto translator I've ever seen!) -- and counter-translating to see if the result is close to what I want. I do check the text, to see if it looks right (so I can actually learn), and I sometimes make corrections to the translation to see if I can improve it.

Remarkably, I've made some very insightful substitutions which worked out much better than what the translator proposed! This means, I hope, that I understand the language better than I thought, and that there's perhaps some hope for me to improve my German skills. :D

Rensslaer

Since there was a little discussion about fast readers, this AAR is definitely one I meant to take my time reading. And it did take some time, if only because rifling through another few updates made a nice end to the day. Waldemar's troubled rise to power will be in my mind for some time for that reason - I had stopped at the 5th update in the corresponding series, and reading the rest was quite a pleasure after a day at work where everything which could go bad had :p

This AAR also was one of two factors which convinced me to try and weave a story upon an idea of my own; it's also earned Paradox the sale of another copy of Victoria (and one of Revolutions), and in fact the way you managed to prevail in spite of having been learning the game at the time is encouragement for one to try his hand at this great game :)

And now there is the approach of a continuation of this AAR, with Rensslaer behind the event scripting and - as far as my experience with the HoI engine is concerned - a considerably larger control over the flow of events than last time. Whither Prussia will confirm its status as the greatest power in the world or, on the contrary, fail to prevail, remains to be seen. I certainly hope, though, that it will face an apparently unwinnable challenge. To make up for the AI's lacks? Not only, but also for us to see an extended timeframe and opportunities for many more dramatic updates the like of which, my good Rensslaer, very few people are capable of writing with the same, high quality across the span of an epic-size work :)

So you could say I've been enjoying 'Fire Warms the Northern Lands' - and can probably count on yet another reader when the story goes on.

I did say 'when'. You won't dare and let us fall, now will you? ;)

Rensslaer, just had a look at this and saw you're translating Fire Warms into German! I admire your commitment- sounds like a fantastic idea, though I can't imagine it'll be an easy task!

Just thought I'd drop a line to say that being at least fairly bilingual in English and German if you ever need any help with the finer points of the translation I'm nothing more than a PM away! I wouldn't like to think I hadn't done everything in my power to help Germanists read this story!