Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are the Netherlands connected to ducal Burgundy or is it just a OPM with an inconvenient colour between them?
I think it's Alsace that looks to be of the same colour as Burgundy.

Since everything seems to be so heavily historically modelled, I wonder whether Swedish decline of 18th century is modelled as well. :p

those manpower boosts (33% MP recovery and 10% MP) for Sweden really does not feel correct. The game is going to be a blob fest anyway, so my impression is that an average player will control half of Europe in the mid-game.

I understand that those ideas should compensate Swedens lack of manpower but in the mid-term this will no longer make any sense. I think the ideas should enhance the nature of the country not compensate its weaknesses. 33% MP recovery could be very strong in multiplayer when you expect human players dominating the map in 100 years. So Sweden could have more available manpower than lets say France if France does not get similar MP boosts. But we do not know what all other country-specific ideas are, maybe they will be equally strong - like 25% tax for France (taille idea) etc.

Overall I prefer less powerful country-specific ideas because it could lead to severe balance issues when the globe is dominated by 5 players.

Last edited:
Since everything seems to be so heavily historically modelled, I wonder whether Swedish decline of 18th century is modelled as well. :p
That's called Russia ;)

I hope once the game is out you put in the tooltip the english translation of the national ideas, because Produktplakatet sounds awfully like the sound someone makes when he is getting strangled. :p

Also jesus dem Portuguese borders are hard to look at, they are so weird.

Last edited:
those manpower boosts (33% MP recovery and 10% MP) for Sweden really does not feel correct. The game is going to be a blob fest anyway, so my impression is that an average player will control half of Europe in the mid-game.

I understand that those ideas should compensate Swedens lack of manpower but in the mid-term this will no longer make any sense. I think the ideas should enhance the nature of the country not compensate its weaknesses. 33% MP recovery could be very strong in multiplayer when you expect human players dominating the map in 100 years. So Sweden could have more available manpower than lets say France if France does not get similar MP boosts. But we do not know what all other country-specific ideas are, maybe they will be equally strong - like 25% tax for France (taille idea) etc.

Overall I prefer less powerful country-specific ideas because it could lead to severe balance issues when the globe is dominated by 5 players.

Well actually the idea of Indelningsverket giving 33% manpower recovery is realistic, after those reforms Sweden had Europes largest army in percent according to her population. Sweden had one of the most effective armies when you count in manpower, cost and training. That doesn't mean that her armies are unbeatable. Larger numbers, cut the supplies and surprise attacks. Incompetent officers and failing communication will also lead to defeat.

Main reasons for the Swedish defeat in Poltava 1709 was the army was running out of supplies and failing communication.

Great DD. I know the game is a long way from release but I think some essentials are being missed. Like the title suggest "Dominum Maris Baltici", it's the idea of controlling the Baltic sea, an idea that intrigued many European nations primarily during the 17th century due to the importance of grain being traded from the eastern part of Europe to the west. Whoever controlled the ports around the Baltic Sea had the advantage of having a monopoly and could take out tariff on all the exported and imported goods going through these ports, the Baltic Sea was by far the most important sea for all western nations during this time before the trade with the Asia really had begun.

So Sweden was the one closest to achieve this dominance of the Baltic with having the sea almost be a Swedish lake by 1658. This was all for economic purposes, so I think this should be mirrored in EU IV. Controlling the Baltic ports should really be an economical advantage and I really hope this will be a feasible and profitable goal. What other point is there for Dominum Maris Baltici?

Mare Nostrum Balticum ("Our Baltic Sea")

Hmmm is it just me or is Scandinavia a bit disproportionate in size to the rest of europe.

Independent Livonian Order seems new. Presumably that's a vassal or a personal union of the teutonic order.

I'd guess it's a vassal. I doubt PU's are possible for theocracies. On this note, Samogitia has a rather stange shape stretching northward into Semgallen and bordering Riga.

Hmmm is it just me or is Scandinavia a bit disproportionate in size to the rest of europe.
Sweden seems about right to me. IRL, if you flip it over Skane, you will hit Italy indeed. It's the 3rd largest country in Europe after Russia and France IIRC.

You are correct in terms that it is not the same as EU3.

But, in EU3 the whole map uses a bad and distorted map projection, in which Europe itself is tilted (tilting everything else east of it as well) to make it bigger than it should be, in effect making Scandinavia smaller and specially weirding out Finland and Russian northern border.

The map in screenshot is much more accurate to real life, and so is the size of Scandinavia and its relation to Europe (which seems proportional) i just compared it to google map.

Sweden seems about right to me. IRL, if you flip it over Skane, you will hit Italy indeed. It's the 3rd largest country in Europe after Russia and France IIRC.

Fourth, Ukraine is larger. But the peninsula does seem to be a bit larger than what you see on most maps. But since the earth is a sphere and not flat it can be a bit problematic to paint a perfect map I guess.

Will I still be able to form a Greater Scandinavia if I unite Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland as one country? Please say yes.