EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question about the Almost Prussian Blue achievement which states, "Starting as the Livonian Order, form Livonia and own the territory of the North German Confederation as core provinces."

However the mouseover tip says that the the various provinces that I need to own are "Owned by the Livonian Order" and "Is a Livonian core". Is that just a poorly worded way to say that I need to be Livonian tag to meet the conditions?

I would prefer to stay as Livonian Order and do more of the crusader path but sounds like I'm locking myself out of the achievement.

Question about the Almost Prussian Blue achievement which states, "Starting as the Livonian Order, form Livonia and own the territory of the North German Confederation as core provinces."

However the mouseover tip says that the the various provinces that I need to own are "Owned by the Livonian Order" and "Is a Livonian core". Is that just a poorly worded way to say that I need to be Livonian tag to meet the conditions?

I would prefer to stay as Livonian Order and do more of the crusader path but sounds like I'm locking myself out of the achievement.
You have to start as Livonian Order and then form Livonia and have all the required provinces as Livonia.

Save your game before you reform to Livonia and come back to play a different path after you get the Prussian Blue achievement perhaps if you want to also do the crusader thing.

Reactions:
You have to start as Livonian Order and then form Livonia and have all the required provinces as Livonia.

Save your game before you reform to Livonia and come back to play a different path after you get the Prussian Blue achievement perhaps if you want to also do the crusader thing.

Thanks for the quick response! I was guessing that was the case but was holding out hope that it was another buggy UI wording that would work out in my favor. Oh well maybe I'll play it like that guy from Tropic Thunder, "I know who I am! I'm a tag playing a tag, disguised as another tag!"

Just became HREmperor as Sweden -> Scandinavia and want to add provinces to the HRE one by one to get to 50 IA for a reform, take reform, then repeat. But there's no button for adding provinces in the province window, I think I can only bring in all my provinces at once with the Join HRE button in the HRE window?

Just became HREmperor as Sweden -> Scandinavia and want to add provinces to the HRE one by one to get to 50 IA for a reform, take reform, then repeat. But there's no button for adding provinces in the province window, I think I can only bring in all my provinces at once with the Join HRE button in the HRE window?
Correct. You gain IA when other nations join the HRE, not when you conquer land directly and then add it to the HRE yourself. The expand empire CB will cause a gain of IA when utilised. Small nations who feel threatened and join the HRE for safety (also with good relations with the emperor) is rarer but will also cause a gain of IA when it occurs.

Reactions:
Correct. You gain IA when other nations join the HRE, not when you conquer land directly and then add it to the HRE yourself. The expand empire CB will cause a gain of IA when utilised. Small nations who feel threatened and join the HRE for safety (also with good relations with the emperor) is rarer but will also cause a gain of IA when it occurs.
Thanks. What's the fastest way to get IA then? I'm going around small Italian nations trying to expand the empire there. For example, with Mantua, I've forced them into the empire and made them Protestant. I also released Padua from them, but Padua is then not in the empire. Is my best bet to wait for the truce with them to be up, then use Expand Empire on them as well?
Also, it seems like the Expand Empire peace deal option can't be used on anyone other than the main defender, even if you co-belligerent others?

Thanks. What's the fastest way to get IA then? I'm going around small Italian nations trying to expand the empire there. For example, with Mantua, I've forced them into the empire and made them Protestant. I also released Padua from them, but Padua is then not in the empire. Is my best bet to wait for the truce with them to be up, then use Expand Empire on them as well?
Yes, exactly this.

You can also fight larger nations which are outside the HRE (e.g. Lithuania) and force them to release nations (e.g. Kiev, Smolensk), wait for those truces to expire and then add all those smaller nations to the HRE one by one.

You can also get decent IA by sub-dividing nations already inside the empire by forcing them to release extinct nations that still have cores (e.g. make Brunswick release Calenberg, make Saxony release Thuringia and Coburg, etc.). You don't need special CBs for this, any CB will do. But the Imperial Ban (when someone takes unlawful territory) CB is best because it has no diplo mana cost to do so.
Also, it seems like the Expand Empire peace deal option can't be used on anyone other than the main defender, even if you co-belligerent others?
Correct.

Reactions:
Does anyone know off hand the exact amount of provinces needed to convert via rebels? I was at 48% religious unity when they last won but it didn't seem to flip me from Sunni to Zoroastrian.

Edit: I figured out the problem, forgot I had a couple Christian provinces which threw off my math.

Last edited:
Does anyone know off hand the exact amount of provinces needed to convert via rebels? I was at 48% religious unity when they last won but it didn't seem to flip me from Sunni to Zoroastrian.

Edit: I figured out the problem, forgot I had a couple Christian provinces which threw off my math.
It's not the number of provinces, it's the share of their development that counts. You need 50%+ of your development to flip to another religion via rebels.

Reactions:
Greetings fellow Emperors,

I’m currently in a progressed Scotland campaign on iron mode, so I can’t test this by myself, and ask for advice.

I want to conquer Munster (HRE). So I “fake”-attacked Denmark with Austria (HRE emperor) as my ally. Can’t directly declare war on Munster, so I attacked Poland-Lituania (allied with Munster) and set Munster as co-beligered (to keep the AE low). Unfortunatelly, Venice (also allied with me and Austria) refused the call to join (because of Austria, that would like to join on the side of Munster but can’t because they already fight with me against Denmark).

To get Venice and / or Austria into the war with Poland-Lituania, I imagine three options:

(1) End the war with Denmark
-> Would that make Austria join on the side of Munster + Poland-Lituania? Or could I then call Austria in?

(2) Peace out Munster
-> Could I then call Venice in?

(3) = (1) + (2)
-> Could I then call Venice and Austria in?

Atm I’m very frightened to push any buttons o_O :p

Greetings fellow Emperors,

I’m currently in a progressed Scotland campaign on iron mode, so I can’t test this by myself, and ask for advice.

I want to conquer Munster (HRE). So I “fake”-attacked Denmark with Austria (HRE emperor) as my ally. Can’t directly declare war on Munster, so I attacked Poland-Lituania (allied with Munster) and set Munster as co-beligered (to keep the AE low). Unfortunatelly, Venice (also allied with me and Austria) refused the call to join (because of Austria, that would like to join on the side of Munster but can’t because they already fight with me against Denmark).

To get Venice and / or Austria into the war with Poland-Lituania, I imagine three options:

(1) End the war with Denmark
-> Would that make Austria join on the side of Munster + Poland-Lituania? Or could I then call Austria in?

(2) Peace out Munster
-> Could I then call Venice in?

(3) = (1) + (2)
-> Could I then call Venice and Austria in?

Atm I’m very frightened to push any buttons o_O :p
While the trick of calling an ally into one war so that you can later declare a separate war that your ally will refuse the call to arms is indeed a thing, it isn't a thing when your ally is the Emperor of the HRE. It's an exception to the rule, sorry.

(1) Yes, Austria would defend Munster. No, you couldn't call Austria in before this happens. See above rule exception.

(2) I think yes is the answer here, as long as you are still in the time window to call allies to arms since the start of the war when this occurs (think it is 30 months).

(3) Not both, just Venice. See above rule exception.

Good luck with your campaign.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While the trick of calling an ally into one war so that you can later declare a separate war that your ally will refuse the call to arms is indeed a thing, it isn't a thing when your ally is the Emperor of the HRE. It's an exception to the rule, sorry.

(1) Yes, Austria would defend Munster. No, you couldn't call Austria in before this happens. See above rule exception.

(2) I think yes is the answer here, as long as you are still in the time window to call allies to arms since the start of the war when this occurs (think it is 30 months).

(3) Not both, just Venice. See above rule exception.

Good luck with your campaign.
Greetings Blizzrd33

thanks for your imediate response ! You have truely saved Scotland from doom :) I just returned to EU4 after a 1,5 year break. Back then, I got lost in a "frozen assets" playthrough, clicking rebels in China all day long o_O

Priceless to learn that the HRE emperor can even join AFTER the war begun. Makes sense, cause Austria appeared on the side of Munster with and X, so as soon as the requirements are met (ending the war vs. Denmark), Austria should be able to join the Munster war.

Conseqently, a 4th option could be to FIRST peace out Munster and after that end the war with Denmark. To do it in that order might help. At least, I cannot call in Venice as long as I have 2 wars running at the same time. I'll be extra careful. Also thanks to remind me of the time limit for "call to arms" !

Indeed, I have a great time after coming back to EU4 and this great community ! :)
Cheers

I want to give EU4 a try, would you recommend a beginner to play with or without DLCs for his first games?
I'm a seasoned Stellaris player, played a fair bit of Vicky 2 and already knows the ins and out of V3 if that's any help.

I want to give EU4 a try, would you recommend a beginner to play with or without DLCs for his first games?
I'm a seasoned Stellaris player, played a fair bit of Vicky 2 and already knows the ins and out of V3 if that's any help.
Assuming you already have access to all the DLCs (either you bought them or you paid the subscription), I think with DLCs is the better choice. If you play as a juggernaut like the Ottomans, you can simply ignore any DLC mechanics you don't want to interact with while you learn the game, and then start using them later in the game as you become more comfortable.

If you don't already have the DLCs then I recommend you save your money and try it without DLCs first. If you really don't like it then at least you haven't wasted another €300-400.

Assuming you already have access to all the DLCs (either you bought them or you paid the subscription), I think with DLCs is the better choice. If you play as a juggernaut like the Ottomans, you can simply ignore any DLC mechanics you don't want to interact with while you learn the game, and then start using them later in the game as you become more comfortable.

If you don't already have the DLCs then I recommend you save your money and try it without DLCs first. If you really don't like it then at least you haven't wasted another €300-400.
Well I mistakenly believed that the subscription included the base game, hence my question. But it's not the case, so I will probably try the base game first and make my mind. As it happens I tried HOI4 this way and it just didn't clicked, looks like a great game, it's just not for me. Thanks for you answer!

Which Muslim nations have an extra colonist in their national ideas?
There's a list on the wiki. The only nation on that list that's Muslim in 1444 is Hadramut - a nation on the Arabian peninsula with, IIRC, a green map colour.

That said, any nation can become a Muslim nation if they try hard enough... so... technically-speaking, every nation on that list qualifies ;-)

Reactions:
There's a list on the wiki. The only nation on that list that's Muslim in 1444 is Hadramut - a nation on the Arabian peninsula with, IIRC, a green map colour.

That said, any nation can become a Muslim nation if they try hard enough... so... technically-speaking, every nation on that list qualifies ;-)
Thanks. I was suprised to see Nizhny Novgorod of all places gets a colonist.

• 1Like
Reactions: