EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On a related question, i should probably full annex and release nations rather than force vassalize them? So i can avoid the "force vassalize" penalty?
Check their opinion of you, and whether you'll be able to achieve +190 opinion overall by the time you want to annex them. Don't forget to include the -100 forced vassalisation modifier, decaying at 2 per year. Eg: If you've accumulated 400AE with them, annex/release is probably the best choice.

(You can get at most approx +290 after vassalising them. (200 improve relations + 25 royal marriage + 25 gifts + 15 subsidies + 25 influence nation = +290) You need +190 to annex, which implies -100 before vassalisation is ok, but you might not be able to do some of those diplo actions, or you might already have some positive modifiers which will decay, so it's probably best to do the full calculation instead of saying "anything more than -100 is ok".)

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how the controlling country is determined when a siege contains several allied countries?
First to arrive controls the siege. If they all arrive simultaneously, or if the siege controller leaves, it's probably tag order.

In late game when playing wide (WC or so), what is most cost effective way of spending excess Monarch Points?
- Developping your Stated provinces.
- Developping your Capital Area provinces due to no gov cap.
- Developping your TC provinces.
- Developping your vassals provinces.

Up until now, I was mostly switching between 1 and 2, but all provinces in my capital area are up to 40 and it's taking more than 100 points per level so that doesn't seem very cost efficient anymore. Option 1 increases your gov cap and requires spending extra on courthouses etc (although that should be default built anyway).
Option 3 seems only cost effective in case of diplo points.
So for Admin and Mil, deving vassals? Or something else?

@Rhand

for admin there is option to truce break and increase stability
for mil you can recruit multiple generals just for army professionalism. 250 mil points will give 5 professionalism and you can slacken for manpower. This is a lot more than just manpower from extra few points
dip can be used to separate peace other nations and take their territory (this will also help spend some admin points)

Forget about developing late game when going for WC

I'm playing as Mali (converted CK3 save) I didn't want to do a WC but 2 European nations are getting way too big to ignore. Can I take land from them (in Europe) and somehow give those provinces independence?

I'm playing as Mali (converted CK3 save) I didn't want to do a WC but 2 European nations are getting way too big to ignore. Can I take land from them (in Europe) and somehow give those provinces independence?
Is there any way you can revive a few European nations? If so, you can feed them back their cores (and maybe a bit more).

Eg1: Conquer a province of the correct culture & release the nation as a vassal. Reconquest wars to restore cores. Grant independence.
Eg2: Go to war with those 2 European nations, using a CB that permits the "release nation" peace term. Release some nations. The main problem with this is that it costs a lot of diplo mana.

Reactions:
Currently in a Denmark->Scandinavia run and considering forming Prussia for the mil bonusses and perm admin efficiency mission, but not keen on the prussian gov type. If I switch afterwards to Germany, does gov type also change or am I stuck with it? Or does that depend on whether or not I accept German ideas/missions?

It's 1575 currently. I do have 10 diplo slots and 11 relations due to kalmar union, so switching to prussia will hurt me in terms of diplo relations. I could have stayed Denmark for the 10% dipli annex cost reduction but I needed the 5% discipline and 20% infantry ca more. Poland is massive with both Lithuania and Hungary in a PU and stretching from Moscow to Istanbul. As I have Danzig, no Commonwealth.

You can always change Prussian Monarchy to other government.
Scandinavia also has 20% ICA and 5% discipline, it also has 5% admin efficiency in the ideas so is it worth to form Prussia when you don't want government?

Prussia has -10% AE and 20% Morale on top of that, and a lot of free claims in Germany. Plan was to go Prussia and then Germany and then Roman Empire ultimately.
I would score 10% perm Admin Efficiency from both Prussia and Germany together, so worth a consideration.

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, but I'm jiggered if I know what it is...

gbdip.png

Declared war on Flanders, which is allied with Austria, Hamburg, and Trier.
The Emperor is Baden, which is allied with Ansbach, Augsburg, Cleves, Lorraine, and Wurttemberg.

All perfectly manageable... Austria is the strongest of all of them, but only has about 20k troops. I have 150k of my own, plus my American subjects and Commonwealth, which has over 100k.

What I don't understand is why I find myself at war with major powers France, Venice, and Russia, plus another 40+ states that I have no quarrel with. It's 1621, and the religious wars are over and done with, so I'm honestly baffled.

Edit: Just to add, I've reloaded to make sure I haven't missed something like a guarantee, but there's nothing like that.

dow.png

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, but I'm jiggered if I know what it is...
Your screenshots are missing most of the relevant information(partially because your low resolution hides it behind scrollbars). Are the additional countries which join maybe in a coalition against you? If the emperor is part of that coalition, it will get called, because the emperor is a co-belligerent in the war. Another possibility is that there are more co-belligerents which can call more allies. If you post the saves from before and after the war declaration, we can probably tell you more

Your screenshots are missing most of the relevant information(partially because your low resolution hides it behind scrollbars).
I have no idea what you mean by this. The images are cropped to exclude irrelevant detail, and they're normal resolution for screenshots.
Are the additional countries which join maybe in a coalition against you? If the emperor is part of that coalition, it will get called, because the emperor is a co-belligerent in the war. Another possibility is that there are more co-belligerents which can call more allies. If you post the saves from before and after the war declaration, we can probably tell you more
No, there's no coalition against me. I just ran it again, and it went entirely as expected this time... a pretty straightforward little war, with exactly the enemies I anticipated. The only thing I did differently was that I called in the Commonwealth a little after declaring war (not deliberately, I just forgot), rather than including them in the DOW.

I have no idea what you mean by this. The images are cropped to exclude irrelevant detail, and they're normal resolution for screenshots.
Your display resolution is very low. If you would play on a 1080p resolution, there would be several more lines of war participants and war description and your diplomacy interface would show much more as well(e.g. so we could have already known if you are a target of a coalition). The war description at the top left for example explains why countries join and might have offered information about which country could have joined. Likewise seeing all participants would have made it possible to see if you maybe (accidentally) co-belligerented more people. This could also be seen after the fact in the war overview screen, so a screenshot of that with the full list of participants would have been helpful.
The only thing I did differently was that I called in the Commonwealth a little after declaring war (not deliberately, I just forgot), rather than including them in the DOW.
You could try it again and call them this time. Maybe a coalition or warnings against them bring in more people. I think 1.34 brought some changes in this regard, but I don't know the details.

Your display resolution is very low. If you would play on a 1080p resolution, there would be several more lines of war participants and war description and your diplomacy interface would show much more as well(e.g. so we could have already known if you are a target of a coalition). The war description at the top left for example explains why countries join and might have offered information about which country could have joined. Likewise seeing all participants would have made it possible to see if you maybe (accidentally) co-belligerented more people. This could also be seen after the fact in the war overview screen, so a screenshot of that with the full list of participants would have been helpful.
Display is 1366 x 768, as per my monitor. I think I know what you mean... I've seen screenshots where people have more detail... I guess they have larger monitors, mine is a laptop. I've given you all the information there is to be had on the target's and Emperor's allies.
You could try it again and call them this time. Maybe a coalition or warnings against them bring in more people. I think 1.34 brought some changes in this regard, but I don't know the details.
Ok, I reloaded again, and I think I see what's happening, but I still don't understand why. The Commonwealth has a coalition against it...

coalition.png

This accounts for most of the additional enemies, and France join in shortly afterwards, presumably by joining the coalition (though I didn't know you could do that after the war has started). No announcements, nothing on the DOW screen to indicate that I might be fighting a massive coalition, and this only happens if I call in Commonwealth at the outset. They're not a co-belligerent, just a normal ally, so I can't see any reason why I would be involved in their coalition war.

I suppose I am indirectly declaring war on some members of the coalition... Austria, Baden, Ansbach, Augsburg, and Wurttemberg... but I've never seen anything like this before. This either means this is a new development, or I've just been lucky in never hitting an ally's coalition in thousands of previously declared wars.

Nah, this seems like a new, 1.34 thing. Presumably it's in line with the bug where you lost stab upon accepting a call to arms against someone you had military access in, because the game thought that you (even though were a secondary participant) somehow declared the war yourself. The same is happening here, the game thinks the Commonwealth declared the war, Baden as the Emperor is a co-belligerent, and because he is in the coalition against the Commonwealth, the whole coalition gets the CtA, hence the myriad of tags joining in what should have been a cakewalk war.

Reactions:
Nah, this seems like a new, 1.34 thing. Presumably it's in line with the bug where you lost stab upon accepting a call to arms against someone you had military access in, because the game thought that you (even though were a secondary participant) somehow declared the war yourself. The same is happening here, the game thinks the Commonwealth declared the war, Baden as the Emperor is a co-belligerent, and because he is in the coalition against the Commonwealth, the whole coalition gets the CtA, hence the myriad of tags joining in what should have been a cakewalk war.
So, a bug then? Quite a serious one, I'd say.

Is there a general 'bug report' thread somewhere? The threads for the expansions and patches always seem to discourage 'problem reports'.

Reactions: