EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I try A Sun god with Charca(Cusco would be too mainstream^^). I wonder if it's best to keep Aymaran Ideas (which are quite good) or take the Incas one (which are good too)
Any preference?
I would value the Incan ones higher. For the stuff i care about, it is basically
[10% Morale] vs [20% Force Limit + 10% Manpower + 2.5% Discipline + 1 Leader],
and [10% Goods Produced + -15% Stability Cost] vs [-10% Dev Cost + 10% Tax Efficiency + -10% Construction Cost].

Reactions:
If your capital is moved to the Old World from the New World, how quickly do Colonial Nations form? Instantly, or after a day?

I'm toying with the idea of a Portugal -> Brazil -> Roman Empire run, just for the sheer joy of watching the entirety of the Americas flip to Roman culture, but I want to a) make sure that the culture would flip properly before those colonial nations form and b) possibly make sure I can move my capital back to the New World before they form.

This takes a day. You can move your capital multiple times in a day if you're paused, but if you unpause and let a single day tick by, you'll suddenly have one or more very large colonial nations. Your force limit will be destroyed, their liberty desire will be very high, and you'll really miss that gold income.

Note that to move your capital back to the new world, it must be:
1) coastal
2) the only province you own in that state/area
3) not connected by direct land to any other province you own
4) the only full-core province you own on that continent

Feeding a vassal often helps satisfy #2 and #3. De-stating European cores helps with #4. If you want to use diplomats on Pause Day, make sure they're free before Pause Day. :)

I have a few small corrections about the requirements for your current capital when moving the capital to a colonial region:
1) coastal
this doesn't matter
4) the only full-core province you own on that continent
that doesn't matter either.
But what matters is that you don't own any other stated provinces(full cores or not) on the same continent as your capital.

I have a few small corrections about the requirements for your current capital when moving the capital to a colonial region:

this doesn't matter

that doesn't matter either.
But what matters is that you don't own any other stated provinces(full cores or not) on the same continent as your capital.
Has this changed recently?

I did this recently and was only allowed to move capitals when it was coastal.

Though you're right - technically, if you have a full core and it's just not stated, that doesn't count, it's just rare to have unstated full cores. So if you finish a diplo-annex shortly before a planned capital move, don't state those cores. Otherwise, de-stating will downgrade you to territorial core and you'll have to pay to restore them later.

You could also possibly give away cores/provinces by getting 100% warscore and then forcing them, and doing an easy reconquest later, which could be helpful if you were very short on admin points.

Has this changed recently?
I don't think this has changed. I just did tests in 1.29.6, 1.30.6 and 1.32.2 and in all three versions I could move my capital from a landlocked province in Europe(usually Midlands/Offaly) to a landlocked province in America(Mexico(852)).

Edit: I have never heard of a coastal requirement. Do you have a test case which shows that requirement?

I would value the Incan ones higher. For the stuff i care about, it is basically
[10% Morale] vs [20% Force Limit + 10% Manpower + 2.5% Discipline + 1 Leader],
and [10% Goods Produced + -15% Stability Cost] vs [-10% Dev Cost + 10% Tax Efficiency + -10% Construction Cost].
Thank you it makes sense. Inca is better for expanding indeed (the finisher is a little weak but there are more weaknesses in the other set)

I don't think this has changed. I just did tests in 1.29.6, 1.30.6 and 1.32.2 and in all three versions I could move my capital from a landlocked province in Europe(usually Midlands/Offaly) to a landlocked province in America(Mexico(852)).

Edit: I have never heard of a coastal requirement. Do you have a test case which shows that requirement?
I did an Aztec->Morocco run last summer, and I swear I couldn't move my capital to Mexico from a land-locked province. It was a huge PITA in that run too.

Did I have it wrong the whole time? Damn.

I did an Aztec->Morocco run last summer, and I swear I couldn't move my capital to Mexico from a land-locked province. It was a huge PITA in that run too.

Did I have it wrong the whole time? Damn.
which version was that? Maybe there was something else which prevented your capital movement. I think when I first tested how moving the capital to the new world works, I couldn't move the capital if it was connected to other provinces through a vassal of mine. But I was not able to reproduce that behavior in later versions and it is quite possible that I made a mistake and I still had some other stated provinces somewhere

I just now took all this land. I expected to be able to core the coastal territory (circled) then wait for the coring cycle and then core the rest. Yet I was able to core it all the day I peaced out. I don't understand by what means I accomplished this.

The Wiki says something about the HRE emperor being able to core any territory anywhere but I've previously had to wait to core provinces under similar circumstances.
Coring.png

I just now took all this land. I expected to be able to core the coastal territory (circled) then wait for the coring cycle and then core the rest. Yet I was able to core it all the day I peaced out. I don't understand by what means I accomplished this.
Do you own any coastal province which has a land connection to these provinces(through provinces which you own) which you already cored? Maybe somewhere above the picture. This would allow you to core all the provinces if your coring range is big enough.
The Wiki says something about the HRE emperor being able to core any territory anywhere but I've previously had to wait to core provinces under similar circumstances.
The emperor can core all provinces within the HRE. Does the wiki say somewhere that he can core provinces outside the HRE?
Did you maybe add these provinces to the HRE somehow?

Reactions:
Do you own any coastal province which has a land connection to these provinces(through provinces which you own) which you already cored? Maybe somewhere above the picture. This would allow you to core all the provinces if your coring range is big enough.

I do (circle).
Land Province.png

It's not a direct connection though. I was under the impression it had to connect directly, no?

Ignore Separist Sentiment spam: I'm going for the WC conquest achievement and read on the board here that if you just leave the pop up there it can't trigger for another 6 months.

The emperor can core all provinces within the HRE. Does the wiki say somewhere that he can core provinces outside the HRE?
Did you maybe add these provinces to the HRE somehow?

No.

PS, thank you for the help (as always).

It's not a direct connection though. I was under the impression it had to connect directly, no?
I think this indirect connection doesn't count.
But there is another coring rule which I have never fully understood which could be the explanation. In some cases you can core provinces if they have a land connection with a coastal province which is within colonial range of one of your colonial nations.

Reactions:
I think this indirect connection doesn't count.
But there is another coring rule which I have never fully understood which could be the explanation. In some cases you can core provinces if they have a land connection with a coastal province which is within colonial range of one of your colonial nations.
I don't understand this.

Do you mean coring through subjects? Works for same-continent non-tributary subjects and colonial nations. There has to be a connection to their provinces though.

I don't understand this.

Do you mean coring through subjects? Works for same-continent non-tributary subjects and colonial nations. There has to be a connection to their provinces though.
No, I mean what lambda describes as "colonial spaghetti" on the last page of this presentation about coring rules

Reactions:
I'm considering rolling back to a patch when times were simpler. I've never done this before, so I'm looking for some help.

What was the patch before religious conversion was changed the first time? This was also before territory corruption and everything that happened as a result of that. It's a few years ago at least. I'm not sure if mission trees was a thing at that point, or if it came right after.

If I roll back to this mentioned patch, will the map be as it was during that patch? What about DLC's that relased after the patch?

I'm considering rolling back to a patch when times were simpler. I've never done this before, so I'm looking for some help.

What was the patch before religious conversion was changed the first time? This was also before territory corruption and everything that happened as a result of that. It's a few years ago at least. I'm not sure if mission trees was a thing at that point, or if it came right after.

If I roll back to this mentioned patch, will the map be as it was during that patch? What about DLC's that relased after the patch?
I think it was 1.25?

The map will be as it was at this patch, you will only have DLC's that were releases at that point.

How can I get rid of the Republic government form again?

Just lose Republican tradition?

Can't I lose to rebels instead or something?

How can I get rid of the Republic government form again?

Just lose Republican tradition?

Can't I lose to rebels instead or something?

This has changed several times over the lifetime of the game; the rebel strategy might have worked in a previous patch, but it won't any more. (As far as I can see, the only rebels that enforce monarchy are pretenders and Polish Magnates. It's probably impossible for you to trigger either of these as a nation that starts as a republic in 1444.)

---

The wiki entry on the subject is pretty comprehensive, but here's the summary:

If you have Res Publica DLC active:
  • Become a Presidential Dicatatorship. (There are two main ways to do this: an RNG event at rep trad < 40; and by re-electing a ruler at rep trad < 20.)
  • Ensure that rep trad is <50 when the dicatator dies.
If you do not have Res Publica active:
  • RNG event at rep trad < 40.
If you have lots of time, the tier-10 government reform allows you to convert to a monarchy. (Apparently it's possible to get tier-10 as a republic by ~1620 - the reason for doing so is to make it a lot easier to get the best C&C outcome as a republic. However, the earliest I've ever reached tier-10 is ~1700 - but all the new monuments in Italy that give gov reform progress might make this a lot easier.)

There may or may not be some nation-formation decisions that transform you into a monarchy as a side-effect. (But I can't think of any offhand; Prussia used to be the example everyone used, but that decision has been changed. I quickly looked at a few other common European formables, but couldn't find any that enforce monarchy in the current patch. YMMV.)

Last edited:
Reactions:
So this is maybe not suited for a quick answers topic, but as a beginner im looking for a good guide/video on efficient conquering/administrating your empire. Like best CB's, reducing coring costs, reducing aggressive expansion, etc... Comng from TW/Civ/EL where overextension is much easier to manage and conquering is much more decisive, I feel like I'm not being optimal with my conquering. For example, with the imperialism cb in 1700, i conquered around 8/9 procinves in india, but it costed me a big amount of admin points (450), and overextension was also killing me, as I was bombarded with bad events

Or is it al just vassalfeeding? but doesnt then absorbing those vassals take an equally big penalty to diplo points+ diplo rep?

So this is maybe not suited for a quick answers topic, but as a beginner im looking for a good guide/video on efficient conquering/administrating your empire. Like best CB's, reducing coring costs, reducing aggressive expansion, etc... Comng from TW/Civ/EL where overextension is much easier to manage and conquering is much more decisive, I feel like I'm not being optimal with my conquering. For example, with the imperialism cb in 1700, i conquered around 8/9 procinves in india, but it costed me a big amount of admin points (450), and overextension was also killing me, as I was bombarded with bad events

Or is it al just vassalfeeding? but doesnt then absorbing those vassals take an equally big penalty to diplo points+ diplo rep?

OE (Overextension) and CC (Coring Costs) are based on dev multiplied by various multipliers. The most common issues driving CC are WE (War Exhaustion) since it increases your CC by WE*3 as well as governing power.

I recommend next time you core something to hover over the button to read all the multipliers and look for the ones you can affect.

I recommend doing that for a lot of buttons in general, just to get an actual understanding of what the modifiers do.

Bad events only come if your overextension is over 100%. Do not do that unless you know what you are doing.

Imperialism CB is fine since you don't get unjustified demands on war leader provinces, which saves you dip points.
The point behind vassal feeding is to space out your mana consumption. Instead of only trading admin points for provinces you are now trading adm+dip for provinces.

Another great tip to save admin is to stop statifying everything. Way too many players are doing that. Trade Company (TC) Lands should get TC'd. Personally I also convert them before they turn into a TC.

The dip rep malus on integrations is entirely irrelevant.