• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LaBretonniere said:
Has any official word been put out by PI concerning whether the Vae Victis expansion will be available retail in a box, or strictly purchased via download?

Based on the DV expansion for CK, I'm concerned it'll only be the latter.

Considering every other Paradox expansion ever, it'll be download only I think.

L'Afrique said:
do you know if there will be some very needed provinces added to the expansion pack. I think that sicily, balkans, southern gaul and even asia minor need some provinces for game play and more realistically. We see that city states and city colonies are impossible to be modelledin this game. i recomend

Sicily split in 3 provinces (Many agree here)
Greece give at least 3 more provinces to represent better the fragmentability and the complicated alliance system existing at that time
Macedonia one more i guess, it is to big the way it is now
Ilyyria one more Taulanti should be split in two its population level, and historicality (always two provinces Durrazo and Apolonia) are not even close.
Southern france two more provinces
Asia Minor at least 3 more

And plus one or two more i missed (open to suggestion)
In the end of all is only 20 provinces more. What do you think? Please dont mention me is moddable bla bla. I pay for a product to enjoy it not to work on it.

L'Afrique said:

You can purchase the expansions for Victoria, Doomsday, and EU on CD.

EDIT: Will there be regular updates from the devs about all the little improvements being made? I really liked that about In Nomine.

Grumblefish said:
You can purchase the expansions for Victoria, Doomsday, and EU on CD.

EDIT: Will there be regular updates from the devs about all the little improvements being made? I really liked that about In Nomine.

You mean Armageddon and Napoleon's Ambition/In Nomine? Those weren't available on CD because Pdox learned their lesson after losing money hand over fist from the CD version of Revolutions.

The only problem I see with getting a Pdox game/expansion from GamersGate is the speed degradation I get in the signal from trying to connect to a download server in Sweden when I'm in the western United States---online speed tests confirm I lose 60% of full-capacity connection speed that way.

If Pdox could find a way to put a GamersGate server in Reno (or realistically in San Francisco or Seattle) that would be awesome for their US customers. I don't think that would pass the feasibility test, however.

SimuLord said:
You mean Armageddon and Napoleon's Ambition/In Nomine? Those weren't available on CD because Pdox learned their lesson after losing money hand over fist from the CD version of Revolutions.

Doomsday was available boxed, and I think Armageddon was in a boxed set for a while there. You're right on the EUIII ones, though (However, other EU expansions were available on CD). Is there a list of the titles that were available on the old paradox online store? I remember they issued CDs that weren't available elsewhere.

Grumblefish said:
Doomsday was available boxed, and I think Armageddon was in a boxed set for a while there. You're right on the EUIII ones, though (However, other EU expansions were available on CD). Is there a list of the titles that were available on the old paradox online store? I remember they issued CDs that weren't available elsewhere.
Isn't eu3 comeplete and ck comeplete coming out some time in december or something? Heres betting that's exactly when vae victus and "rome comeplete" come out.

Grumblefish said:

Doomsday was standalone. Paradox seems to only release boxed expansions when they're packaged with the base game.

L'Afrique said:
Doomsday was standalone. Paradox seems to only release boxed expansions when they're packaged with the base game.
Arthouse+"Requires original game"=instant death?

Wheras if its standalone or a gold edition, people think well I've never heard of this game, but it sounds good AND it got an expansion. Or even better if its eu3 gold, well thats a third in a series as well.

Darkarbiter said:
Isn't eu3 comeplete and ck comeplete coming out some time in december or something? Heres betting that's exactly when vae victus and "rome comeplete" come out.

A complete pack of CK+DV has been released last month. But remember that this is not done by Paradox themselves, but by local distributors.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I am really really hoping that in the expansion assasinations are fixed, or eliminated as an option. I understand that not having a hight BB rating will help reduce the likelihood of having other nations attempt to assassinate you chracters (doesn't eliminate that chance), but in the vanilla version of the game assassinations are as regular a part of life in Rome as are bowel movements (a daily occurance if not more frequent depending on what you ate). Honestly, if you can't fix it, then just remove assassinations all together as having to constantly replace chracters (as often as once every 10 seconds depending on the speed you're playing at) is really annoying. I eventually increased the cool down period by a multiple of 4, and even now it's silly.

Last edited:
I think it is great that they are having an expansion for this game. Thank you Paradox. I would say that I hope they fix the one issue that bugs me more than any other: when you defeat an army, it seems to always flee towards your own country! I don't think an attacking/advacing army would let the defeated one retreat INTO their own land.

Anyone else feel me on this? I mean, if the army is backed into a corner, then so be it. It is destroyed. This is how it works in HoI:2 and it makes total sense. For example, when I play and attack Magna Graeca, they almost always "retreat" into my land. It's annoying and not realistic.

Ideas? ;)

lordtrout said:
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I am really really hoping that in the expansion assasinations are fixed, or eliminated as an option. I understand that not having a hight BB rating will help reduce the likelihood of having other nations attempt to assassinate you chracters (doesn't eliminate that chance), but in the vanilla version of the game assassinations are as regular a part of life in Rome as are bowel movements (a daily occurance if not more frequent depending on what you ate). Honestly, if you can't fix it, then just remove assassinations all together as having to constantly replace chracters (as often as once every 10 seconds depending on the speed you're playing at) is really annoying. I eventually increased the cool down period by a multiple of 4, and even now it's silly.

I concur. The assasination element is a bit extreme and can be quite annoying. I have a Macedonian campaign on the go and Rome is assasinating my crew yearly to provoke a war. My BB is 00 and if I do anything other than let the culprit go, I have hundreds of Roman armies storming in. I've battled them several times, taken a lot of their territory and can never get anything more than a white peace. Kind of wonky at present. Hope it is fixed in the expansion.

assasination crazy

Fookison said:
I concur. The assasination element is a bit extreme and can be quite annoying. I have a Macedonian campaign on the go and Rome is assasinating my crew yearly to provoke a war. My BB is 00 and if I do anything other than let the culprit go, I have hundreds of Roman armies storming in. I've battled them several times, taken a lot of their territory and can never get anything more than a white peace. Kind of wonky at present. Hope it is fixed in the expansion.

There is a post somewhere on here to lower the assasinations.

Playing as Mac: Play defensive at first..let them take a few territories and then counter-attack the Roman when their manpower is zero and their army in the field is warn down.

As Big Mac, I like to let the Romans chew on some balkan territory for a while. Let them wear themselves down. Later I will make a few selective counter-attacks.

But the fun is when you land your troops on the unprotected foot of Italy.

When fighting Rome this way, I try to take one or two territories and make peace. Wars can last 3-4 years.