• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((For one, Fernando probably would have just shot Joan. I'm glad it didn't come to that.:p))

((I wonder how each person would react if Henri's head suddenly exploded/had a bullet hole through it.))

((For one, Fernando probably would have just shot Joan. I'm glad it didn't come to that.:p))

((Rude, shooting the man wouldn't have even fired the shot. :p Joan probably would have seen it as one less problem to deal with and moved on. Not like he ordered the man killed. As for Ferran, being held hostage and then seeing two people shot in front of him likely would have led to a breakdown similar to Pere V's, so basically cultural genocide and other fun stuff. Seeing as no one got shot, we'll skip the genocide and stick with crippling trust issues. :D))

Last edited:
Dias waited. And waited. And waited.

Eventually, he grew sick of waiting and decided to be more direct.

As he entered the Emperor's chambers, he first noted the people there.

The Regent and Crown Prince of course, as well as the unknown assailant, but there was others.

The Princess Consort Maria, along with some of her family the Leons along with the Regent's guard. Dias supposed it was a good thing he didn't fire.

He turned to the Regent.

"My Prince, word from Lisboa. It seems that some of the Traitors seek to place the Crown Prince on the Throne directly..."

Dias waited. And waited. And waited.

Eventually, he grew sick of waiting and decided to be more direct.

As he entered the Emperor's chambers, he first noted the people there.

The Regent and Crown Prince of course, as well as the unknown assailant, but there was others.

The Princess Consort Maria, along with some of her family the Leons along with the Regent's guard. Dias supposed it was a good thing he didn't fire.

He turned to the Regent.

"My Prince, word from Lisboa. It seems that some of the Traitors seek to place the Crown Prince on the Throne directly..."

Joan waved that off as if it hardly mattered. And in some ways, it didn't. What could a group of disgruntled traitors do against the Crown, against the army? They had played their hand and failed, badly at that. If they thought the Regent would just give in to their demands after they had conspired against the Crown only a few months previous, they were mistaken. And now he had the perfect ammunition to strike down such treasonous sentiment once and for all.

After ensuring that the man who had taken the Crown Prince hostage was confined properly, that the fire was contained, and that Ferran was moved somewhere more secure in the palace, and better guarded at that, Joan saddled up his horse and took a contingent of men with him out into the city to survey the current situation. The presence of 40k soldiers patrolling the streets had prevented the riot from escalating into something much worse, but he could see the fear in the faces of those he passed. They had a right to be afraid. A few dissidents had attempted to disrupt the peace of the city and they were the ones that would suffer. It was the cruel way of things. It was time to turn things around, show them the truth.

A procession was starting to form as people took notice of the Regent's passing and followed. More than a few of them were prodded along by one of the soldiers surrounding Joan. He needed an audience for this. As he approached the market, a large open space near the city's centre filled with stalls, he rode on to a raised area near a great fountain depicting Joan's father Alfons IX. It had once been Pere V, but the Phoenixes had torn it down as was their way. There were far too many people out there intent on destroying all that Hispania had built. He sat upon his horse near the fountain, a crowd gathering before him. He struck a regal picture upon his steed, adding more to the image of strength he needed to portray. When the crowd had grown enough, he finally chose to address them.

"People of Valencia, I know that you are scared. Surely word of what occurred outside the palace has spread. You fear for your lives, that you will fall in harm's way. Perhaps you even fear me or the men who serve in the Hispanian army. You would be mistaken to think that, for we are not the ones who mean you harm. Instead you should fear those amongst you who would use you for their own purposes, those with political agendas intent on nothing short of treason and the violent overthrow of the lawful government and the Crown."

"What happened outside the palace was a travesty, and an unnecessary one at that. Someone within the group gathered outside the palace fired upon the soldiers I had stationed to protect the palace, and in the process killed a good captain. The soldiers had no choice but to defend themselves, for they could not know who meant them harm. Perhaps if those gathered there had ignored the political dissidents amongst them and dispersed like I had asked them, no one would have been hurt. Instead, because of the actions of a few radicals, many good people perished, civilians and soldiers alike. I attempted to salvage the situation as best I could, opening the gates of the palace and offering safety on the grounds. I offered them a chance to surrender, and they accepted, and because of my generosity, they live. I do not blame these people for their actions. Most of them are innocent, caught up in something far beyond them. Of those currently in custody, most will be released shortly after it is proven they were not involved in inspiring this exchange of violence. Yet there are those radicals amongst them who care not for the deaths of the innocents as long as it served their cause. They shall face the full extent of the law for their crimes."

Joan let out a cold laugh, one that sent chills down the spines of everyone gathered in the square. "Perhaps if I was a more merciful man, I would be lenient on them, but they abused my generosity. Knowing that innocents were dying, I allowed them them into the palace grounds. I offered them a chance to live, and they used it as an opportunity to strike against my own family." With an grimace, Joan drew his sabre and pointed it in the direction of the palace. "Even as those who had been unfairly caught up in events they could not control were taken into custody, radicals amongst them managed to sneak away and make an attempt on the Crown Prince's life. If you look towards the palace, you can even see the smoke wafting skyward, what remains of the blaze that could have well claimed the Crown Prince's life. If the Emperor had not been moved to a more secure location, he well could have died in the blaze! Thank God, no one was harmed."

Barely contained fury blazed in Joan's eyes, and the intensity of his words kept the crowd silent and spellbound. "But that is not the extent of treachery I witnessed this day. A man even took the Crown Prince hostage and threatened his life at gunpoint. The audacity of this act should appall you all. The Crown Prince is a good man, one who wants what is best for you, yet these radicals would even try to take his life. I tremble to think of what they would do if they ever had the Emperor in their hands."

"And now word reaches me of more of these radicals in Lisboa attempting to restore the Assembly, a most treasonous act, not because of their goal but because of their methods and intentions. They would usurp the powers of the Crown itself with such a declaration, and indeed their very declaration denounces His Imperial Highness, Pere VI, by declaring the Crown Prince to be the true inheritor of the Crown's powers. It is an affront how they use my nephew as their symbol as more of their ilk attempt to take his life. They invoke my father's name, yet in turn spurn him by ignoring the very law he wrote that has made me Regent. It is not their place to make such a decision, and never has it been. It was Alfons IX who created Parliament, and it was with the powers of the Crown that I disbanded it after a third--yes, an entire third--of its members were caught openly engaging in acts of treason against the Crown. They have no authority to make such a declaration, for it defies the very will of the Crown, and their Assembly is nothing but a group of traitors intent on dethroning His Imperial Highness in favour of the Crown Prince and overthrowing the government. The Assembly will only ever exist again when the Crown dictates it will."

Joan let his voice soften, letting the intensity of his words slip away. "And indeed one day it will exist again, but on my terms. As the Crown Prince announced the other day, I shall be working with him to recreate the Assembly, but in a form that does not serve as a breeding ground for treason. The Assembly's intention, as my father often told me as a child, is to provide a voice for the people so that the Crown may rule in their best interests. It is meant to represent you," Joan said, pointing to members of the crowd, "not those radicals who gather in the shadows grasping for power. They seem to believe that they are the ones God chose to rule, not His Imperial Highness. Most of them won't even accept the word of both I and the Crown Prince that he even lives. They will craft whatever lies they want, but I trust you all know better. Parliament must be returned to its original purpose, something that these men would pervert. With the Crown Prince's help, I will ensure that your voices are heard instead of muffled by those that would subvert them for their own needs."

A downcast look passed over Joan's face as he let out a sigh. "These continued acts of treason are discouraging. So many show a lack of faith in the Crown and open disrespect for His Imperial Highness. I cannot permit this any longer. From now on, all those who dare to defy the Crown, dare to defy the government, shall be treated as the traitors they all are. If they continue to push, I will push harder. I ask that those amongst you who wish for only good for Hispania understand my concerns and pray for Hispania. I will see it purged of those who would destroy that which has made Hispania so strong. I will ensure that His Imperial Highness and the royal family are shown the respect they deserve as they carry out God's will by guiding this great Empire into the future. But most of all, I will ensure that those who wish Hispania and its people harm are punished for their treason. These traitors have forced my hand one too many times, and I tire of their attempts to destroy everything that we have built together. I have shown mercy before and it has nearly costed me the lives of those dearest to me. There will be no more mercy."

His speech finally at an end, Joan galloped off back to the palace, leaving the gathered crowd to mull over his words. Now he had much work to do. All this treason must be brought to an end.

The Field Marshal heard the speech from the Regent.

Good. Order was more important than Liberty. Alfons got to have both due to the grace of God, but the people would learn that the former was needed more than the latter if only one was to be selected.

But Ferran's insistence on the Assembly's return was troubling. More time was needed for that luxury to be able to be returned without risking disaster.

Perhaps the man would be able to be convinced.

In my time, I have seen how the Assembly has proven to be a breeding ground for dissent against the Crown and Hispania. The more radical pieces of it have caused much damage to the Empire.

One failed law concerning free trade, and the Colonies demand the abolition of tariffs.

One law about far off lands in the East and Italy demands freedom.

One law forgetting the Greeks and a Byzantine Army ultimately almost invades Athens. I do not exaggerated that.

The free selection of Parliament elements is a mistake. The Crown currently can both directly and indirectly select the members of the Cortz by controlled distribution of noble titles and whether to allow those nobles on the body.

I suggest that the Assembly follow a similar role. Have the influential men of the Empire's provinces meet to decide on a list of candidates for the role of Assemblymen at the right time. And then have the Crown review this list to determine the ability and loyalty of these men. This way we do not end with a den of snakes who place their focus on demagoguery then the benefit of all.

Field Marshal Dias

As you know I am Portuguese, as is Lisboa.

I would like to personally request to lead the efforts to end this madness there and humbly request the men and ability to do so.

Field Marshal Dias

Joan's speech was partly interrupted by shouts, resuming as he ended.
"Trials! Our citizenship guarantees fair trials! If you trample these rights, then none remain!"
"They are all innocent, you lying bastard!"
"Innocents were dying because of your tyranny!"
"You and the soldiers deserve to be tried for your endless crimes!"
"Who can believe a man who shoots people like us without a second thought?"
"The lawful government has been lost since the day Pere VI disappeared from the public!"
"Then purge yourself, for you are the greatest threat for Hispania that it has ever seen!"

(( Private ))

As Henri was taken away he began to write his letters, last letters to his only family, his two brothers and sister, however he refrained from using any names until the letters were checked, just to avoid getting them into trouble.
To his younger brother Aurèle he wrote a short letter, apologizing for everything, and saying that in the end he was right.
To his other, even younger, brother, Cyprien Luc, he wrote a letter wishing him good luck in his industrial ventures, and that from now on he'll have to be the head of the family.
To his sister, Henriette, he wrote a short thank you, for all the help, and good luck with her future, and that no matter what he said in the past he's proud of her.
After finishing the messages, presenting them to whoever he had to he addressed them properly and sent them out, ready to be taken to the UKA.

(( Also Private ))

Aurèle was making his way through Valencia, avoiding guard patrols wherever he could until he found himself in a crowd standing in front of Joan, and hearing the shouts he decided to join in.
"Tyrant! Liar! That's all history will remember you as!"
"The people's voice must be heard! People's blood, innocent citizens blood, is on your hands!"
And as he chanted words against the regent he tried to make his way forward, trying to get as close to him as possible.
"Where's the proof to back your words? We demand solid evidence, not words of a dictator!"
If he'd get the chance to shoot him, he'd take it, but he had to get close, just a bit closer...

The troubles in Valencia seemed so far away here in Sardinia, Alexander thought. He couldn't be involved in this madness, instead he went about his day to day business, ensuring that his people was safe and happy.

((Sorry I haven't been as active lately, I've been busy with a lot of work. Speaking of which, I will be gone for the next one and a half weeks, so I'll catch up then :)))

A SPEECH BEFORE THE LISBON ASSEMBLY

"I guarantee you, my compatriots, that as we speak the tyrannical, unjust Regent has moved to spurn and reject us! His Majesty has become incapacitated, and under such circumstances, it is the Crown Prince who ought to become regent - not a mediocre second-son favored only by the most corrupt of the Hispanian aristocracy! Does even the Lord have an answer for this? Why are we at one time bless'd with strong, honorable men, yet not soon thereafter are cast into the flames of chaos and immorality? I say this to each one of you, and I shall say it in the streets and by the rivers in the valleys, and when I stand before the great adjudicator, I shall speak these same words: that what as been sewn can only be unsewn if it is destroyed, and that in suspending the Assembly, the Black Regent dismantled the Hispanian Empire!

"I am not quite the orator that De Salcedo was, nor am I the possessor of the cleverness of the first Assemblymen, but I am a Hispanian! And I shall not see this nation cast into the fires of damnation because we did not possess the clarity of heart to render judgment unto a cowardly and ineffectual man. By the grace of God, we shall overcome any and all obstacles; by the willpower of men, we shall return the powers of the regency to their rightful possessor, and in so doing, reestablish the powers of the Crown in their rightful hands!

"The late Emperor, His Majesty, Alfons IX, was a model to which the Black Regent does not care to meet. Rather than work to ensure an equal representation in the Cabinet, he packed it with opponents of democracy; rather than defer to Parliament, he lorded himself over it, refusing to hear our advice, and ruling by vile decrees; rather than pass the powers of the regency to their rightful possessor - as a more noble spirit would have - he made himself a dictator of the most vile Roman caliber. No doubt, we shall someday speak of the Black Regent in the same tones which mutter the names of Nero and of Caligula.

"We shall rise with the popular will and force the Black Regent from his unrighteous and illegal reign if that is what is required, but I do not hope to see it come to this. Rather, he ought to recognize the capacity of Prince Ferran to fulfill his role, and instead pass the powers of the regency to this nation's next Emperor. Further, the full Citizenship and Parliament Act sof 1816 must be restored, granting all citizens the right to vote for representatives in the Assembly. Only under these conditions should we ought to be satisfied, and as long as we are not seen by the Black Regent as deriving our authority from the wise administration of Alfons IX, I fully intend to stand, argue, and fight.

"The fear of death may come and go among this body, and of that there is no shame. However, I would much sooner die a freeman and citizen of this Empire than live as a slave to an unrighteous regime. Join me, compatriots, for even as I know in my heart that we shall succeed and that we shall return liberty to this Empire, I believe that in order to do so, we must fight with only one fear: the fear of the Lord. And know this: that it is the Lord's will that we shall return His powers to their rightful possessor, and that justice will once more be established throughout the Empire."

~ Silvestre de Santigo

((Private - Maria Luisa))

Several guards arrived to take Henri away as Fernando and Carlos Maria embraced Maria Luisa.

"Thank God you're okay," said Fernando.

"Father, I can take care of myself," said Maria Luisa.

"But still, I'm thankful that you and the Prince are still alive," said Fernando.

Several more guards arrived and surrounded Ferran.

"Your Highness, I shall now show you to your quarters," said Joan, "I assure you, they will be better protected than your previous quarters."

Ferran nodded. "Thank you, Joan."

"My dear," said Maria Luisa, "Are you sure?"

Her eyes pleaded with him, and Ferran understood. Somebody in the palace had let the mob burn down the royal wing. Somebody had barricaded the door to his quarters. If there hadn't been a secret passageway they would have been killed. And who would benefit most from Ferran's death?

"Don't worry, Maria," said Ferran, "I'll be safe. I'm needed here."

"I'll visit as much as possible," said Maria Luisa.

Ferran nodded. "That would be appreciated."

He walked away, accompanied by the guards, some of whom had been (with Joan's permission) drawn from Fernando's bodyguards.

Now alone, Fernando and Carlos Maria confronted Maria Luisa.

"The Emperor isn't in a coma?" Carlos Maria said.

"But he's forgotten who he is and can't rule," said Maria Luisa, "Joan will remain as regent."

"I understand," said Fernando, "Of course we can't tell the public that."

Maria Luisa looked around, making sure nobody was listening in on them, not even their guards. Then she hugged Carlos Maria. "Thank you so much, both of you!" she said.

"I will have to return to Leon soon," said Fernando, "I have some things to attend to. Your brother, though, will stay here with the Exercit Valencia. If you need anything, he will be there to help you."

"And I will stay in Valencia," said Maria Luisa, "I'm needed here as well."

They hugged again, and Fernando departed with his guards. The last thing she heard her father say was, "This conversation never existed. If you mention even a word of it to anybody outside this palace, I will make sure you..."

"I better get going, then," said Carlos Maria, "See you around."

He also left with his own guards, leaving Maria Luisa and her guards alone in the room.

"Your Highness," said one guard, "Your carriage is waiting outside, ready for transport to your quarters in the secondary palace."

"Thank you," said Maria Luisa, "Let's not keep them waiting, shall we?"

They walked away.

((Private - Fernando))

Unknown to Maria Luisa, Fernando had instead remained in the palace, where he met Joan, who had returned from giving his speech.

"Sir, I apologize for being too intrusive," said Fernando, "But there are a few things I would like to say, if I may. What happened today must not be allowed to happen again. The mob came very close to open rebellion, and the Crown Prince almost died. It is a miracle that the Emperor...that he wasn't harmed. We must take measures to prevent this from happening again. The people are concerned. They believe you are abusing your power and call you a tyrant. I do not believe their claims, but their grievances are genuine. You need to assure them that you will protect their rights, but you must also maintain security and order. If you ever need any assistance, know that I will be here to protect the Emperor and the Crown Prince."

((Private - Carlos Maria))

Carlos Maria returned to his quarters in the military barracks near the palace. He thanked his guards and asked them to leave the room. After they had done so, he locked the door and shut the blinds. He took out the small piece of paper that his sister had slipped into his pocket. It was a map of the area outside Valencia, denoting the compound where the Emperor was being held. Realizing the importance of the map, he quickly memorized it and hid it where nobody would look. This information could come in handy someday. His sister obviously intended to only use it if Joan stepped out of line again. Carlos Maria didn't want to cause unnecessary bloodshed. He would pay the Emperor a visit when the time was right.

In my time, I have seen how the Assembly has proven to be a breeding ground for dissent against the Crown and Hispania. The more radical pieces of it have caused much damage to the Empire.

One failed law concerning free trade, and the Colonies demand the abolition of tariffs.

One law about far off lands in the East and Italy demands freedom.

One law forgetting the Greeks and a Byzantine Army ultimately almost invades Athens. I do not exaggerated that.

The free selection of Parliament elements is a mistake. The Crown currently can both directly and indirectly select the members of the Cortz by controlled distribution of noble titles and whether to allow those nobles on the body.

I suggest that the Assembly follow a similar role. Have the influential men of the Empire's provinces meet to decide on a list of candidates for the role of Assemblymen at the right time. And then have the Crown review this list to determine the ability and loyalty of these men. This way we do not end with a den of snakes who place their focus on demagoguery then the benefit of all.

Field Marshal Dias

The Crown Prince did not respond, for one reason or another.

As you know I am Portuguese, as is Lisboa.

I would like to personally request to lead the efforts to end this madness there and humbly request the men and ability to do so.

Field Marshal Dias

JpsioAG.png

Seeing as I must remain in Valencia, you are indeed the best choice for such an initiative. You shall have the Exercit Granada if military force is required. Ideally these men should be taken into custody to ensure they are tried for their treason. If they resist though, we have no choice but to submit them to a traitor's death.

- Regent Joan de Trastámara

(( Private ))

As Henri was taken away he began to write his letters, last letters to his only family, his two brothers and sister, however he refrained from using any names until the letters were checked, just to avoid getting them into trouble.
To his younger brother Aurèle he wrote a short letter, apologizing for everything, and saying that in the end he was right.
To his other, even younger, brother, Cyprien Luc, he wrote a letter wishing him good luck in his industrial ventures, and that from now on he'll have to be the head of the family.
To his sister, Henriette, he wrote a short thank you, for all the help, and good luck with her future, and that no matter what he said in the past he's proud of her.
After finishing the messages, presenting them to whoever he had to he addressed them properly and sent them out, ready to be taken to the UKA.

((Private - 05060403))

A contingent of guards arrived to take Henri away. They marched him through the jail, but their path led not to the front door but deeper into the building. The captain explained that they had to leave through a more secretive exit, for it would not be good to have the man who attacked the Crown Prince marched openly through the streets. They kept walking down several flights of stairs, descending deeper and deeper. If it was a tunnel leading out of the building, it was deep underground. Eventually they reached a mostly unused part of the jail, the only source of light coming from the torch the captain held. As they neared the end of the hallway, one guard opened a door and some others roughly grabbed Henri by the arms and tossed him through the open door. They slammed the door behind him, locking him in a damp jail cell. The captain laughed, looking through the small grate in the heavy steel door, the only window into the room. "Traitors like you don't deserve freedom."

The group of guards shared a good laugh and the captain stuck the torch into a brace across the hall before they all left. Henri was now alone in some dark cell, the only source of light dwindling away until he was stuck in perfect darkness. There was no one around to hear him, no chance of escape. He had been betrayed.

((Now you can understand why Joan agreed so easily to your proposal. :D))

((Private - Fernando))

Unknown to Maria Luisa, Fernando had instead remained in the palace, where he met Joan, who had returned from giving his speech.

"Sir, I apologize for being too intrusive," said Fernando, "But there are a few things I would like to say, if I may. What happened today must not be allowed to happen again. The mob came very close to open rebellion, and the Crown Prince almost died. It is a miracle that the Emperor...that he wasn't harmed. We must take measures to prevent this from happening again. The people are concerned. They believe you are abusing your power and call you a tyrant. I do not believe their claims, but their grievances are genuine. You need to assure them that you will protect their rights, but you must also maintain security and order. If you ever need any assistance, know that I will be here to protect the Emperor and the Crown Prince."

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I give little credence to their claims these days," Joan said. "Their dissent is merely spurred on by radicals intent on weakening the Crown for their own ends. I will not let them interfere with my efforts." Joan straightened his jacket not letting the jeers against him from earlier rattle him. "Your help would be invaluable. Those who want to see the Emperor dethroned in favour of the Crown Prince so they can use him as a puppet for their false Assembly cannot be allowed to succeed. The Crown Prince has told the people that the Assembly shall exist once more, and it would be foolish to deny them that after such a declaration, but it will be on my terms, on the Crown's terms, not that of these traitors. If you truly wish to help, ensure they do not disrupt our efforts to reform the Assembly."

Joan went to walk away, for he had business to attend to, but he turned around as a thought came to his mind. "I fear that the Crown Prince's life may still be in danger. At first it confused me why these men would strike at their supposed symbol, but now I see the logic behind it. They think that with him dead, I will lash out, that I will become the tyrant they claim. Well I will show them for the fools they are. I will give them their Assembly and they will have no choice but to accept that I have always had Hispania's best interests at heart. To resist would merely show their true treasonous intent. They care about nothing but their own greedy desires." Joan let out an amused chuckle and walked away.

((Private))

Crown Prince Ferran sat alone in his new chambers, deep in the palace away from any windows. It felt almost like a prison cell, but he understood Joan's concern. Someone had tried to kill him, after all. Whenever Ferran closed his eyes, he could see the flames burning around him. He unconsciously started sweating at the thought. He jumped up from his seat, shaking his hands and pacing the room. He was all alone here, and he liked it that way. Isolation made him feel safe and secure, something he had lacked the past few days. He knew they was a large contingent of guards outside his door, and he prayed these ones would not abandon their post. He needed some form of security at this trying time.

Ferran scratched at the side of his head, a motion he had repeated several times since leaving the Emperor's chambers. He could still feel the barrel of the gun pressed against his head. At times it felt like it was boring into his skull. Occasionally he would catch a glimpse of shadows out of the corner of his eye and think there was someone there ready to hold another gun to his head. He didn't want that. He had felt so small, so weak, so helpless. Never again.

The Crown Prince slumped down in his seat, got back up, and then sat down again. He felt restless, but far too scared to dare leave the room. The world out there was frightening, and apparently there were those who wanted him dead. What had he done to deserve that? He had wanted to help these people, give them a voice. He could have just stayed in Leon, happy and safe. Instead he had jumped into the fire and had gotten burned. He would not make that mistake again. If anyone expected something from him, they would have to earn his trust first. No longer would he blindly follow some ideal for the good of others. All it did was get him hurt.

As Ferran shuffled in his seat, a small spider descended from the ceiling, landing delicately on the armrest of his chair. The Crown Prince watched the creature casually crawl along the armrest towards his hand. He turned his palm up, allowing the little spider to crawl onto his hand. It rested in his palm, seemingly content with its new perch. It was such an innocent little creature, seeking its own way in the world. It lacked the capacity to understand the dangers that humans posed to both its own kind and fellow humans, and so it blindly wandered the room, only concerned with its own livelihood. Ferran relished this freedom the spider possessed. But too, in turn, he despised the creature. It did not understand the truth of its situation. So small, so weak, so helpless.

With a sudden surge of anger, Ferran closed his fist, squishing the spider between his fingers. He felt its innards pressed against his palm and knew the spider was dead. It had thought itself safe, but Ferran had shown it the truth. No one was truly safe. Ferran had been taught that lesson well when he had had a gun pressed to his head. It was not a feeling he ever wanted to relive. He would not be the spider. If it would guarantee his survival, provide him with safety and security, he would be the man squishing the spider. He would not allow himself to be so small, so weak, so helpless. Never again.

((Now you can understand why Joan agreed so easily to your proposal. :D))

(( I honestly expected that :p
While I had a bit of hope Joan would stay true to his word, I highly doubted that.

That's why Henri will attempt to escape.
So I request a roll for that.
And according to it I'll write an IC. ))

(( I honestly expected that :p
While I had a bit of hope Joan would stay true to his word, I highly doubted that.

That's why Henri will attempt to escape.
So I request a roll for that.
And according to it I'll write an IC. ))

((The roll was mediocre. You didn't escape, but at least you weren't killed trying to do so either. Most likely Henri never got out of the cell. Even if he didn't escape, there are always other ways to get out. ;)))

Good to his word, Joan allowed the vast bulk of people involved in the riot outside the palace to be released from custody, returning to their homes after some questioning. However, for those who showed any ties to known radical groups, or really any group that opposed the regency, they found themselves transferred to a more secure facility to await trial. As for how long that wait would be was anybody's guess.

Dias smiled and sent a letter to the Excerit Granada to inform them of his plan.

When the Seargent Major Generals of the unit received it, they rouses the troops and began to move West.

Dias went to Lisboa directly, but kept his movements secret. The guards at the city's gate allowed the traveler to enter and he made his way to the mayor.

*Being informed of the movements of the Exercit Granada, the Assembly secretly adjourns to Santarém, and begins to form small bands of guerrilla fighters in Western Portugal.*
((Western Portugal isn't the wilderness of the New World. :rolleyes: Unless they gain extreme public support, I'd expect these guerrillas hiding in Hispanian heartland to be found out quickly, and executed. :cool: If you share my belief in the untenability of guerrilla fighters surviving long in a major city in Iberia, then let Diego learn of the Assembly's wherabouts. ;) ))
Your men will be quickly found, apprehended, and murdered in Portugal. However, there are places to hide them. Send them, in small groups, covertly to Catholic Cathedrals in Andalusia. They will tell the Bishop that they are sailors shipwrecked from Canton, and will find a place to hide. Send your leaders, merchants from Sweden, to Grenada. Once the Assembly is in place, we can discuss plans to reconstruct the Hispanian government, as according to His Majesty Alfons IX's plan.
((Of course, I could be overestimating the size of this Assembly, and its only ten guys and a printing press, who could easily hide anywhere. But Diego doesn't know.:D ))

((Private))

Ferran lounged around in his new chambers for what seemed like hours until he was summoned into Joan's presence. At first he ignored the summons, wanting nothing to do with the Regent, but when several guards entered his room and insisted he come with them, he decided it was better to comply than get on the Regent's bad side. The men took him to Joan's office, where he immediately slumped down in a seat before the Regent's desk. Joan had piles of papers all over his desk, reports of one sort or another. He read over a few, occasionally glancing at the Crown Prince, clearly waiting for Ferran to ask the obvious question of why he had been summoned. When it became clear he would not bite, Joan sat back in his seat and said, "I thought we could start working on ideas for the reformed Assembly."

"If that is what you want," Ferran said, his face completely impassive.

Joan ignored his apathy and kept speaking. "Seeing as you first suggested its restoration, perhaps you have some ideas you wish to share on its new form, ideally one that will keep traitors out of its ranks."

Ferran stared up at the ceiling, pretending to think the question over. When he grew bored of that game, he said, "I don't care about the Assembly. Do what you want."

The Regent raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, resting his arms on the desk. "Are you sure? You seemed quite passionate about it before."

"Do I look like I care?" Ferran said, crossing his arms.

Joan scrutinized the Crown Prince for a moment, catching on that something wasn't quite right with the man. "Very well, then maybe it would be better for me to make suggestions and you to provide input."

"If you think that will work better."

Joan faked a chuckle, pretending to be amused by the Crown Prince's attitude but secretly seething in annoyance. Such behaviour was fine for a teenager but not a middle-aged prince. He supposed the man had been through much over the past few days, but Joan found throwing oneself into work was one of the best methods of getting over such difficulties. It was time to get to work. "Well first off, I was thinking of instituting serious vetting procedures to ensure that any members are completely loyal to the Crown. Basically anyone with any known ties to groups deemed questionable by the Crown would not be permitted to run for election. We cannot allow that body to become another breeding ground for treason."

"Seems reasonable enough," Ferran said, picking at his nails.

"Of course, the best way to ensure loyalty is to have members appointed directly by the Crown. Over the years, the number of appointed members in the Assembly was reduced, and look where that got us. My own father, Alfons IX, intended for the Assembly to have a third of its seats appointed, and I believe it is best that we return to that. A larger number of appointees ensures that those with Hispania's, and thus the Crown's, best interests at heart sit in the body."

"Sure, why not," Ferran said, staring back up at the ceiling.

Joan tightened his gaze on the Crown Prince. Was he even listening? With the slightest hint of anger in his voice, he jokingly said, "I was also thinking that the body should be entirely restricted to members of the Trastámara family. Only direct blood relatives of the Emperor may serve in the Assembly. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good to me."

Joan slammed his fists down on the table, startling Ferran and making him jump out of his seat. "God damn it, take this seriously! The future of Hispania is at stake."

Ferran scoffed, rolling his eyes. "What do I care about Hispania? It doesn't care about me."

The Regent clenched his teeth, suppressing his growing fury. "You are the Crown Prince. Of course it cares about you. You are loved by the people. That is why your involvement here will prove invaluable."

The Crown Prince spun around and slapped his hands down on the desk, sending papers flying. "Do they now? Is that why some of them tried to burn me alive within my own chambers and another man held me at gunpoint? They only care about me as long as it suits their needs. I won't be used, not by them and not by you either. I want nothing further to do with politics."

Joan kneaded his forehead, feeling the start of a headache. Why did the Crown Prince have to be so suddenly uncooperative? He found it almost comical, and even let out a short laugh. "Typical. You are so much like your father."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Ferran said, returning to his seat.

"Your father didn't want anything to do with politics either. Of course, his reasoning had more to do with incompetence than a general unwillingness to be involved. I suppose a difference lies there at least."

"My father was not incompetent," Ferran said, a hint of anger in his voice.

"I do not mean it as an insult," Joan said, raising his hands to show he meant no offence. "I'm certain that if Pere was lucid enough, he'd agree with me." Joan let out a short chuckle, rubbing at his chin as a childish grin crept to his face. "Did you know that when my father appointed me Prime Minister, he had originally intended for your father to hold the position. The Emperor wanted his eldest son to learn the ways of statecraft for the eventual succession, but Pere wanted nothing to do with it. He turned down the position not because he did not want it, but because he realized he lacked the skills to carry out its duties. Our father was a great man, one who left a large shadow, and Pere feared more than anything that he would disappoint him. Pere begged my father to appoint me instead, because he knew I would not disappoint, that I could do the job. My father agreed because he realized what all three of us knew: Pere could not do it, but I could."

"Okay, I get it. My father was not the brightest," Ferran said, slouching down in his chair. "What does that have to do with me?"

Joan rose from his chair and started pacing the room. "Because you must not make the same mistake he made. Do not let your faults interfere with your duties. Hispania still has need of you. Pere was a good man with good intentions, but he never accepted the responsibilities and duties given to him. Even after the crown was placed upon his head, he never stepped forward and ruled as an emperor should. The difference between you and him, though, is that Pere chose not to accept those duties because he knew he could not carry them out properly, while you chose not to because you don't want to."

Ferran curled up in his seat. It was not easy to hear criticism of his own father, especially after seeing the Emperor in the state he was in. It was harder to accept criticism of himself. "And why should I?"

Joan stopped his pacing and stepped over towards a framed document on the wall. He pointed at it and said, "Do you see this document? This here is one of my most prized possessions. Whenever people criticize me or question my reign as Regent, I look at this document and it reminds me of why I'm here, of why I must step up and rule Hispania in the Emperor's stead. Come here and take a look."

After some gentle prodding, Ferran rose from his chair and moved over to the wall to examine the document. It was a declaration stating that in the event that the Emperor was unable to rule, Joan would be designated as Regent. Ferran gave it only a minor perusal before turning to Joan. "But I thought my father did not designate a regent?"

A smug grin crossed Joan's face. "Read the signature at the bottom."

Ferran shrugged and did as the Regent said. His eyes widened as he found not Pere's signature at the bottom, but none other than that of his grandfather, Alfons IX. His jaw dropped and he stared at Joan. "Grandfather wanted you as Regent?"

"A shock to most, I am certain, that is if it had ever been revealed. Of course, my father was a persistent man and clung to the reins of power until the very end. He was ever one to be involved in every matter of state. It would have broken his spirit if we had forced a regency on him at his most unhealthy. Thus the document never saw the light of day until I recovered it after his death. It satisfies me more than anything to know that deep down my own father, the greatest emperor Hispania has ever seen, trusted me to rule more than his own heir, because he knew that when it came down to it, Pere was not ready and I was." Joan let out an amused chuckle. "To think of all those people who use Alfons's name to criticize my reign. How would they react if they knew their idol wanted me to rule over the current Emperor? Irony at its finest."

Ferran sputtered for a moment, trying to take it all in. He had idolized his father since childhood, a man who despite his disability had remained strong. Perhaps that had all been a face he kept for his children. Filled with growing emotional turmoil, Ferran said, "Why are you telling me this?"

Joan clasped a hand on Ferran's shoulder. "Because it is time you made a choice. Your father had many obstacles in his way and ultimately crumbled under the pressure. He was never ready to rule, and Hispania suffered for it. I possessed all the skills necessary for the task, something even my own father recognized, but even with me at the reins, first as Prime Minister and then Regent, I cannot equal up to what an Emperor can do. I will never be able rule as well as the greatest Emperor, for regencies lack the stability of a crowned monarch. In time, Hispania will need its Emperor, one not only willing to rule but skilled enough to do it properly. Your father lacked both the will and the necessary skill. You only lack the former. If you give up before you are even crowned, Hispania is set for the reign of another weak monarch. Now, more than ever, we need an Emperor that will be strong. You must be ready to be that Emperor when your father passes from this world."

This was all to much for Ferran, and he broke free from Joan's grasp on his shoulder. "Why do you even care that I make a good Emperor? Does not such talk go against the idea of your regency?"

Joan gave a nod to show that he understood Ferran's point. "Perhaps it may seem that way, but the Emperor will not live forever, and neither will I. I can only guide Hispania for so long. I must prepare the way for the next Emperor, who will be you as Crown Prince. You must be ready for the task ahead. I cannot stand by knowing that an unprepared monarch may take the throne, at least while I still live to ensure you are made ready for such duties. Hispania deserves only the best."

The Crown Prince was frankly quite baffled by this. The last person he expected a pep talk from was Joan. He sputtered his doubts for a bit, but his protests eventually died down. Finally he sat down in his chair and gave a deep nod. "Very well, I'll do as you say. How should I proceed if I am..." Ferran paused a moment, choking on his words as he thought of his father. It felt morbid to think of what would happen after he was gone, but perhaps it was time to stop fleeing from his destiny. He let out a sigh and continued. "If I am to be ready to be Emperor."

Joan grinned and returned to his seat. The Crown Prince was cooperative at last. That would make things that much easier going forward. He needed the Crown Prince on his side if he wanted the government to stay intact against so many threats. "Well, for starts, we should work out what form this new Assembly will take."

News from Valencia slowly reached Barcelona. A heated discussion began in the greatest villa of the city.

"He is your brother! How can you just stand aside and do nothing for uncle Arnau?"

"He chose his path, I chose mine, Lluis. The last time I've seen him was at your grandfather's funeral." The self-proclaimed 'Lord of Blood and Steel' was an old man, but always held true to his principles. He lit his cigar, studying reports on his desk. "Tell me, what about the latest train for Valencia? Have the weapons reached their destination safely with these riots going on?"

Felipe Faixòn's son was left baffled. "Soldiers are shooting at Hispanians, at our family - and you wonder if your supplies reached them?"

"That's the way of business. Arnau followed into my father's footsteps, fine. But I have built up my great enterprise, my fortune, not through sentimentalities, but through producing and selling. As long as my goods are paid, all is well."

"I don't want to believe that. Didn't grandfather tell you to always remember who you are?"

"I do. So I respected Arnau's decision. If he wishes to get into trouble, he can. It is not our problem. Or I would be bankrupt long ago. Do I have to remind you that I have started solely with weapons?"

Lluis had heard enough. "Then I'll help him! For I have at least some heart for the family! I'll head to Valencia immediately!"

"Which is why you will not inherit my armament business. Too much remorse. Just don't supply Martí so cheap that you go bankrupt - even if he is your brother." His son was storming out, and Felipe added some last words. "If you end up in prison - you are disinherited! My empire isn't Hispanian property."

((The roll was mediocre. You didn't escape, but at least you weren't killed trying to do so either. Most likely Henri never got out of the cell. Even if he didn't escape, there are always other ways to get out. ;)))

(( Well, since nothing really happened then I don't feel the need to IC it, however Henri will still look for the oportunities and alternate ways, But he's not stabbing himself to death with a fork, unlike another Saint-Pierre before him xD ))

(( Private ))

Aurèle cursed under his breath as the regent rode away, he lost his chance, and now he had to find a way out of Valencia, make his way north to Barcelona, to his brothers, his other family, those who hated the regent as much as he did.
He carefully made his way around the town, avoiding guards, hiding in dark alleyways, damp basements that people left open, sometimes running across the lower rooftops, jumping from one to another.
As he made his way around the town he overheard the news about the Assembly in Lisbon, which got his hopes up even more. Surely his brothers-in-arms would support the other group, even if they were across the whole country.
He simply had to get to Barcelona today. Even if it mean he'd have to run the horses to death, Barcelona would have to join the reconstructed assembly.

(Some time later)

He was just on the edge of the city, catching his breath after barely outrunning a small patrol. Getting to the outskirts was easy, breaking out was the hard part. Luckily he was just a single man, and finding a big enough break in the cities defences wasn't so hard.
The only problem were the soldiers around, but with some riots still happening in town they should be busy enough.
He bought a horse at the local stable, even if the stable master laughed at his request because of the circumstances. But that didn't matter. He got what he wanted a strong, well-built stallion who (hopefully) would be enough to get his out of Valencia and towards Barcelona.
If luck was on his side it'd be a 6 hour ride without anyone standing in his way.

(( I'll be continuing on this, but I assume getting out of Valencia would require a roll? And if any other players would wish to maybe step in and do something, then the oportunity is there. ))