• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Barcelona, Crown of Aragon))

Once Jaume heard of the recent victory against the Greeks, he smiled. It may have been the last victory he'd ever hear of in his mortal life, but at least he'd die knowing of the great benefits of the one thing he loved the most in his life: war.

He then coughed up blood for the last time, and whispered an inspirational quote into his son's ear:
"Remember that nothing is more important than God and the King."

Jaume Cristofor, Count of Barcelona died at the age of 45 in 1464.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Character:

Name: Joan Cristòfor
Born: 7 August 1448
Class: Noble (Count of Barcelona)
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Joan was born on 7 August 1448 in the city of Napoli to Aragonese general Jaume Cristòfor (b. 1419 - d. 1464) and Abilazza of Sicily (b. 1426 - d. 1463). His family later moved to the Aragonese court in Valencia when Joan was just an infant.

Joan himself is a calculating, manipulative person who envies the Kingdom of Aragon and wishes to one day be able to rise from his lowly position into something more poweful. He is also a charitable and zealous person, and often gives food and clothes to the peasants in the name of Christianity. He is currently being educated by his first cousin once removed, Enrique in the art of diplomacy.

Carlos was shocked at the news that his servant told him. The once mighty Empire of the Greeks was now subjugated and swore fealty to the King of Aragon. Although this benefited the realm much, he was still angry on the inside. He wanted to keep the Greeks independent but under Aragonese protection. Oh well; this will have to suffice.

Your Majesty, I shall continue using the same plan as I always have. I hope the "arrangement" we made with the Greeks will last until they are sufficiently powerful enough to stand up to the Turks on their own.

~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

((Please don't tell me you're thinking about integrating Byzantium.))

Carlos was shocked at the news that his servant told him. The once mighty Empire of the Greeks was now subjugated and swore fealty to the King of Aragon. Although this benefited the realm much, he was still angry on the inside. He wanted to keep the Greeks independent but under Aragonese protection. Oh well; this will have to suffice.

Your Majesty, I shall continue using the same plan as I always have. I hope the "arrangement" we made with the Greeks will last until they are sufficiently powerful enough to stand up to the Turks on their own.

~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

((Please don't tell me you're thinking about integrating Byzantium.))

((The idea is to give them Ottoman land, so basically vassal-feed them. I certainly won't integrate them after the 10 year wait, and we'd need a very good RP reason to integrate them at all after that.))

Reactions:
jEquDXu.png

To His Royal Majesty,
Congratulations on another victory, Your Highness. Once again, the Lord smiles upon the House of Trastamara. Christians shall praise your name for the next seven centuries.

I believe that we should try to convince the Greeks, both those who live under our direct stewardship as well as the Romans, to embrace the light of the Holy Church of Rome. We must not only protect them from Turkish barbarism: we must also protect them from heresy and falseness. Hopefully with time they will soon recognize His Holiness' authority. We must also set a good example at home by purging the Jews and Mohammedans from our midst so that the Greeks may follow our example.

I will soon visit the court and tell you the state of affairs in Rome. Needless to say rot still exists in the Church and corruption flourishes despite the Holy Father's efforts. The kingdom should continue to support His Holiness and my mission in the Vatican so that Aragon will gain more prestige in the eyes of the Church and we may lead it back to the path of righteousness.

Finally, I would also like to thank you for sponsoring the construction of a new church in Pirineo. The people of my bishopric thank you for the opportunity to praise the Lord in a new venue.

Your humble servant,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Bishop of Pirineo

((Court chaplain plan: keep investing our papal influence to increase our papal controller percentage))

Leonardo was on vacation for the moment. He was back in Abruzzi, with his wife. He and his wife had been spending some time in a tavern. When they exited an Assasin was hidden in the roof tops. He shouldered his crossbow and put a bolt in the Admirals leg, when he tripped he put an arrow into his neck. Leonardo was dead before he even realized what happened. The man who had won many battles in the last twenty years lay in a puddle of blood in Palscara. The Assasin was a Granaden hired by the Ottomans.

My Liege,
My name is Renato de Abruzzi, son of Leonardo, I'm sending this letter to inform you that my father was assassinated by the Turks. I'm willing to follow my father and work in the Aragonese court.
(New Character:

Name: Renato de Abruzzi
Born: July 17, 1448
Class: Courtier, (Due to his fathers prestige in the navy, Unlanded Noble perhaps?)
Bio: Renato is the son of Leonardo de Abruzzi, he is a very intelligent person often with a book in hand. He is very skilled in Diplomacy and Trade, is very interested in the history of wars. He unlike his father isn't skilled in the art of leading. (He would of possible like the position of Chancellor on the Council.))

Leonardo was on vacation for the moment. He was back in Abruzzi, with his wife. He and his wife had been spending some time in a tavern. When they exited an Assasin was hidden in the roof tops. He shouldered his crossbow and put a bolt in the Admirals leg, when he tripped he put an arrow into his neck. Leonardo was dead before he even realized what happened. The man who had won many battles in the last twenty years lay in a puddle of blood in Palscara. The Assasin was a Granaden hired by the Ottomans.

My Liege,
My name is Renato de Abruzzi, son of Leonardo, I'm sending this letter to inform you that my father was assassinated by the Turks. I'm willing to follow my father and work in the Aragonese court.
(New Character:

Name: Renato de Abruzzi
Born: July 17, 1448
Class: Courtier, (Due to his fathers prestige in the navy, Unlanded Noble perhaps?)
Bio: Renato is the son of Leonardo de Abruzzi, he is a very intelligent person often with a book in hand. He is very skilled in Diplomacy and Trade, is very interested in the history of wars. He unlike his father isn't skilled in the art of leading. (He would of possible like the position of Chancellor on the Council.))

((Ugh.... not another position I have to fill. Well now I need a Treasurer and an admiral. Anyway, on with my kingly duties.))

vvEKLhO.png

We are saddened to hear the fate of your father. We will put every resource we can behind finding those responsible, we assure you.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((Unfortunately the only way for any courtier or his family to become nobility is to be granted land, like with TrueProd and his Greek character. And as for the Chancellor position, I can safely say that the position will have to be pried from me by force through an administrative monarchy, because I ain't letting go of it so easily. I like setting foreign policy. :D))

"F--Father!"

Ernst couldn't even register the event yet. He was only 15. A nurse was carting a body through the hospital in Naples. Just earlier, his father travelled to Abruzzi to pay his respects to Leonardo de Abruzzi, who had died about 5 hours ago. The assassin that had earlier killed Abruzzi was also lying in wait, and attempted the same tactic as before. The arrow didn't hit the leg as expected, but instead nicked his off hand before Luca forced him into a retreat. He collapsed shortly after.

"Your father... he'll be fine, but he might not be able to continue with his duties."

That was what the nurse said, but that meant the merchant was now him, and he didn't have nearly as much experience.

My Liege, Joan II de Trastàmara, King of Aragon, Navarra, Naples, Sicily, Sardinia, and the Baleares, Protector of the Greeks:

I am saddened to say to you that my father has been incapacitated. He took an arrow to the hand and is now being tended to by a Neapolitan nurse. I will take up his post as merchant now.

((New character for me :(
Name: Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Born: January 24, 1449
Class: Courtier (Lübeckian Merchant)
((Screw the bio :p))
))

Your new merchant,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker

((Ugh.... not another position I have to fill. Well now I need a Treasurer and an admiral. Anyway, on with my kingly duties.))

vvEKLhO.png

We are saddened to hear the fate of your father. We will put every resource we can behind finding those responsible, we assure you.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((Unfortunately the only way for any courtier or his family to become nobility is to be granted land, like with TrueProd and his Greek character. And as for the Chancellor position, I can safely say that the position will have to be pried from me by force through an administrative monarchy, because I ain't letting go of it so easily. I like setting foreign policy. :D))
((Are the two diplomats spots already taken as Renato is a diplomat))

((Why are there assassins everywhere now?! Oh well, better join in on the fun.))

Carlos was reading an ancient Greek epic that he bought from a librarian in Constantinople. It was interesting and as descriptive as the chronicles that filled his own library. Those Greeks were about as cultured as modern Europeans.
He didn't notice the assassin until it was almost too late.
He ducked just as a crossbow bolt slammed into the wall of his study. A masked man in a dark cloak charged at him with a poisoned dagger, and he barely dodged the lunge. Grabbing his sword, Carlos stabbed the assassin before he could attack again. The attacker let a a shout and fell down dead.
Carlos searched the assassin's clothes, looking for any papers or things of interest. Nothing.
He pulled back the mask, revealing a Castilian complexion underneath.
He ran to the royal court to alert the King.

Your Majesty, an assassin attempted to kill me like the others who have already died! The body lies in my study, along with the assassin's weapons, a crossbow and a dagger with poison on it. I could find no papers on his body, although I have tentatively determined that he is a Castilian from his complexion.
He saw movement out of the corner of his eye. It was moving in the direction of the king.
Look out, Your Majesty!

"F--Father!"

Ernst couldn't even register the event yet. He was only 15. A nurse was carting a body through the hospital in Naples. Just earlier, his father travelled to Abruzzi to pay his respects to Leonardo de Abruzzi, who had died about 5 hours ago. The assassin that had earlier killed Abruzzi was also lying in wait, and attempted the same tactic as before. The arrow didn't hit the leg as expected, but instead nicked his off hand before Luca forced him into a retreat. He collapsed shortly after.

"Your father... he'll be fine, but he might not be able to continue with his duties."

That was what the nurse said, but that meant the merchant was now him, and he didn't have nearly as much experience.

My Liege, Joan II de Trastàmara, King of Aragon, Navarra, Naples, Sicily, Sardinia, and the Baleares, Protector of the Greeks:

I am saddened to say to you that my father has been incapacitated. He took an arrow to the hand and is now being tended to by a Neapolitan nurse. I will take up his post as merchant now.

((New character for me :(
Name: Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Born: January 24, 1449
Class: Courtier (Lübeckian Merchant)
((Screw the bio :p))
))

Your new merchant,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
*Letter to Ernst*
It's a horror to me to know that the assassin who killed my father, also incapacitated yours. Dang Turks, they deserve to die.
~Renato de Abruzzi
*Letter to Cardinal de Vascona*
As it is kingdom-wide news, I hear of your attempts to sit on the Holy See. Shall you do it in your lifetime I believe we should call a crusade against the Turkish scum. Although I'm a diplomatic man, the Turks ordered the Assassination of my father and Ernst's.
~Renato de Abruzzi

My Liege,
Although I'm usually a diplomatic person after the Turks ordered an Assassination of two important people of our court. I believe we should wage war against them to take back all of the Greek land, and perhaps even the Western Turkish coast for the Byzantine Empire
~Renato de Abruzzi
((As you can tell my character very much dislikes the Turks. :p))

((Are the two diplomats spots already taken as Renato is a diplomat))

((Yep, there is still a spot for a diplomat, so fell free to claim that. :)))

((Why are there assassins everywhere now?! Oh well, better join in on the fun.))

Carlos was reading an ancient Greek epic that he bought from a librarian in Constantinople. It was interesting and as descriptive as the chronicles that filled his own library. Those Greeks were about as cultured as modern Europeans.
He didn't notice the assassin until it was almost too late.
He ducked just as a crossbow bolt slammed into the wall of his study. A masked man in a dark cloak charged at him with a poisoned dagger, and he barely dodged the lunge. Grabbing his sword, Carlos stabbed the assassin before he could attack again. The attacker let a a shout and fell down dead.
Carlos searched the assassin's clothes, looking for any papers or things of interest. Nothing.
He pulled back the mask, revealing a Castilian complexion underneath.
He ran to the royal court to alert the King.

Your Majesty, an assassin attempted to kill me like the others who have already died! The body lies in my study, along with the assassin's weapons, a crossbow and a dagger with poison on it. I could find no papers on his body, although I have tentatively determined that he is a Castilian from his complexion.
He saw movement out of the corner of his eye. It was moving in the direction of the king.
Look out, Your Majesty!

King Joan II was in his late sixties and his reaction time wasn't what it used to be. When his Marshal warned him, he was not prepared for what was coming his way. A man dressed entirely in black with a dagger in his hand jumped out from behind a curtain and stabbed at the king. The blade bit flesh, but was still a glancing blow across the side of the torso. Joan II let out a terrified shriek as he hurtled himself behind his throne. The assassin tried to make another stab at him, but it missed and stuck itself in the throne instead. Before the assassin could make another attack, Ferran dove out of nowhere and tackled the assailant. He knocked the assassin to the ground and punched him in the face, knocking him out cold. Once he was certain the assassin was not a threat, he ran over to the king. Joan II was lying on the ground, hyperventilating heavily.

"Uncle, are you all right?" asked the bastard. Joan II tried to respond, but soon fainted from fright. The experience had been too much for him. Turning to the others in the room, Ferran said, "Help me get the King to his chambers."

Reactions:
((Perhaps the Castilians and Turks made some UnHoly alliance to destroy there mutual enemy, if there is someway to add that into the game in a realistic way.))

((I'd prefer not to go editing the other nations unless there's a very good reason to. I want us to have all the advantages. :D))

Yes, your Highness.

Carlos helps take the King to his quarters.

((I'd prefer not to go editing the other nations unless there's a very good reason to. I want us to have all the advantages. :D))
(( Yeah, I was just making a suggestion due to a Turkish Assasin and a Castillan Assasin both within the same month, attacking very important people in the court of Aragon. :D And BTW I will take the spot as the second diplomat.))

*Letter to Cardinal de Vascona*
As it is kingdom-wide news, I hear of your attempts to sit on the Holy See. Shall you do it in your lifetime I believe we should call a crusade against the Turkish scum. Although I'm a diplomatic man, the Turks ordered the Assassination of my father and Ernst's.
~Renato de Abruzzi

((Private))

Signor Abruzzi,

It pleases me that you believe I am qualified to sit on the throne of Saint Peter. While I am not actively looking to ascend to the papacy (for such an action would not be fit for a man of God), I would not refuse the post if my fellow cardinals chose me. It is all in the Lord's hands.

As for your request to call a crusade against Turkey, I believe caution is warranted. The Turks are indeed the greatest threat to Christendom but it is not wise to make such a momentous decision in haste, especially since the Ottomans have been weakened by Aragonese and Venetian forces. I shall consult His Holiness about the matter and see what God wills.

I pray for the soul of your father and all those who have been assassinated by Turkish and Castilian murderers. Such actions are unacceptable and unfitting of sovereigns no matter what faith they profess. The Turks may be out of the Church's reach but perhaps the king of Castile will face consequences for such sin if His Highness was indeed behind the vile acts.

May God be with you.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Bishop of Pirineo

Alejandro's ageing knees began to protest. He had been kneeling before the cross for over half an hour and still he had found no answer. Why was god allowing so many good noble men of Aragon to be taken long before their time? For what reason did the Lord keep him on this earth into and beyond his seventieth year? What work was left to him?
Suddenly, from the corner of his eye he saw a shadow move. Something completely black had leapt off the pulpit towards him.
An assassin? Heart in mouth he turned to face the intruder.
"Meow." The furry assassin rubbed against his legs, purring.

To all those who have lost someone dear, The Church shares your grief and we all pray for the souls of the honourable men who have left us behind. They will surely find their place at The Lords side in heaven.

Bishop Sastre

((@Michaelangelo, would it be appropriate to sneak in a reference to the Cult from idhrendur's iAAR? The assassins crawling all over the place are just begging for a conspiracy theory.))

((@Michaelangelo, would it be appropriate to sneak in a reference to the Cult from idhrendur's iAAR? The assassins crawling all over the place are just begging for a conspiracy theory.))

((You could if you want, since Pagan cultists fit anywhere. :p Although if any more Council Members die, I'm going to start pulling my hair out to fill all these positions.))