• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cardinal Trastámara sputtered for a bit before replying. "You should be careful when uttering such borderline treason! First you say that rebellion against the emperor is the highest crime, and now you dare to say not only should people violently overthrow him but that they may need to. I'm afraid you do not understand how a monarchy is supposed to work. A monarch is not some elected official who can be removed from power whenever he displeases someone. He has been placed there by God, and thus it is not our position to question that. I am not saying that he may not be held accountable for his actions, but we should not go about stirring up rebellion because the emperor does something that you don't like. You say you do not want the horrors of Athens to occur again? Well that is exactly what will happen if the very idea that people can overthrow their emperor whenever they feel like it spreads. No, if you want to make the emperor more accountable for his actions, you should seek avenues outside of rebellion. Let the Cortz or Small Council handle such matters, for as I said earlier it is not our place to decide such things. Let us return to matters of faith before His Imperial Highness gets word of this discussion. We are here at his behest after all, and it would not do to risk the ire of our gracious host by conspiring against him within his own home."

Cardinal Trastámara pondered on that a moment. It made him miss Emperor Francesc. Now that man would not be phased by such talk, for he was confident and secure in his position. He would have nipped such treasonous talk in the bud, especially when it came from a religious figure, for surely the late emperor would not have allowed any church to gain any such power over him. Emperor Pere would have reacted quite differently. The man who had created the position of prime minister and willingly limited his own power would probably have taken such talk as a critique and found ways to reform the government as such. The cardinal could not imagine the current emperor doing such a thing. The man loved attention and the power of his station. Any threat to his cushy lifestyle would not be appreciated. Cardinal Trastámara hoped the archbishop of Athens realized such a thing before the emperor got wind of this little discussion.

"Back on topic, this Council of the Churches you mention, is this meant to be some official body? If we do indeed elevate the status of all Christians, it might indeed be prudent to have something in place to allow for communication between the various faiths. Such a body, as suggested, would need to cooperate to determine what is considered Christian and what is not. I only pray such a venture does not descend into quarrelling over religious practices."

JpsioAG.png

It is indeed quite a burden ruling over so much land because of irresponsible nobles. Your family has at least been quite active at court. Take Roussillon and remember who so graciously granted you such a title.

- His Imperial Highness, Ferran V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((May as well clarify that even though the general positions are filled, you'd just end up taking one of the non-active character's positions. If alscon does hire you, I'll just remove one of them and replace them with your character. It should be noted that this does not mean the non-active character was fired, just that he was removed from the game for now. It would be a bit too gamey if we just hired a ton of non-active characters as generals and filled our leadership pool. If at any point an opening comes up, I'll just add back in the non-active character with the same stats as before. Non-active characters serving in such rolls is mostly for filler and roleplay reasons anyway.))

I believe that you are twisting my words Cardinal.

I believe that the Churches are to be fully suborned by the Emperor, I just do not believe that he should be an Emperor of total power. Also, I do believe that rebellion is among the greatest of crimes, and to help deter it, I propose an alternative. With another path available, those who rebel will only be more guilty than they were beforehand.

((not really @hirahammad , Pere had affairs, this is merely a seductive times between the crown prince and his wife :p ))

((I actually meant his hard-working "have to do it all" personality, though, there can be seen some similarity elsewhere, too. ;)))

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Bishop Luys C. H. Etxeto de Calahorra y La Calzada

This proposal is utterly unacceptable, in all four articles. It is a blasphemous rag which serves only to undermine the strength of the monarch and give greater legitimacy to wayward Christians. I wholeheartedly reject it, and await a proper proposals which include the Christian values of ones place and the place of the wayward in it.

JpsioAG.png

His Imperial Highness, Ferran V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks requests that this ecumenical council draft up a list of resolutions within three days to present to representatives of the Crown and His Imperial Highness's court.

((I'm going to do a bit of an unorthodox vote for this council. You will be voting on the various issues presented during the council. I tried my best to sort them out into specific categories, but please tell me if I missed something. It should be mentioned that any mention of altering the Crown's power, whether by limiting it or making the emperor absolute will not be included, for those go outside the scope of this religious council. If you want an absolute monarchy, you need to present it separately next time, and if you want a constitutional monarchy, you will have to wait for the necessary tech to unlock. I'll also be altering the VP for this vote. Seeing as most people are using alternate characters, it would make little sense to use the VP of your originals. Thus everyone will have one vote with one VP. This vote will not be binding, in that it will only determine the document sent to the emperor. During the next voting session, I will take all the results and create a document with all the decided issues to be voted on by the court. This document will be what is put into effect, although if it fails people may present alternatives. I hope that isn't too confusing. Anyway, here are the issues to be decided. We also have one law to vote on, which VP will be applied to. I'll put it right after the council issues.

State Religion: Catholicism/Christianity/Abstain
Heretics: Status Quo/Christians/Abstain
Churches: Independent/Subordinate/Council/Abstain
Heathens: Status Quo/Recognized/Abstain
Knights: Autonomy/Subjugated/Abolished/Abstain
Inquisition: Catholics/Christians/Abstain

Confirmation of Request to Investigate: Yes/No/Abstain

Probably best to clarify them all. The first is obviously to determine the state religion. Either we can keep it as Catholicism or we can elevate all Christian faiths to the status of state religion, although I have no idea how I will do the latter in-game. The heretic vote is to decide the fate of heretics. The status quo means they remain as heretics but receive equal treatment, while Christians means they are no longer considered heretics and are legitimate branches of Christianity. The churches vote is on the standing of each church within Hispania. Independent means they are separate from the Crown, although this will only apply to the non-Catholic faiths, subordinate means they will be subject to Crown authority but will remain independent of each other, and Council means they will be subject to Crown authority but a council will be formed to encourage cooperation and coordinate efforts between the various faiths. For the heathen vote, either we continue to treat them as before or choose to recognize their faiths. This will only apply to Jews and Muslims for now. The Knights votes is on the RP holy orders believed to be serving in Malta and Rhodes. Either we can continue to let them maintain some form of autonomy, subjugate them to the Crown where they would only serve in wars against heathens, or abolish them all together. The Inquisition vote is to decide whether the organization is a solely Catholic one or should include all Christian faiths.

Everyone will have until Thursday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class, although VP bonuses will only apply for the Confirmation of Request to Investigate. As I said before, if I seem to be missing any key issue from the council, please bring it to my attention.))

Felipé de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia

State Religion:Christianity
Heretics:Christians
Churches:Council
Heathens: Recognized
Knights:Subjugated
Inquisition: Christians

Confirmation of Request to Investigate: Yes

Let us show the world how Hispania have become the greatest nation on Gods Earth, by tolerance and understanding, not hate and war.

Last edited:
((Almaden Hashem))
Even if these councils do not bring about tangible changes, interfaith discussion is the key to stability.
While Almaden recognizes ((see the pun)) that this will not be well supported at court, he believes he cannot back down just because his is an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
State Religion: Christianity
Heretics: Christians
Churches: Council
Knights: Subjugated

~Don Marti de Leon, Conde de Leon

Heathens: Status Quo

((Count, Prime Minister, Chancellor, Diplomat, Funded Colony))

Last edited:
((Martín Novavilla))

((Eduard Villanova, courtier, colonist, funded colony, NPC Merchant))

Cardinal Trastámara could only listen in shock as one by one everyone voiced an opinion that all Christian faiths should be made the state religion. Had his fellow Catholics gone mad? There had been a general agreement amongst the council that Catholicism should remain the state religion, yet apparently the past year of debate meant little. Not even bothering to voice his opinion, the cardinal dismissed himself from the hall. His Holiness needed to know about this and soon. Such a drastic abandonment of faith could only bode ill for Hispania.

((I'm thinking of rejoining this AAR again. Consider my previous character dead. I will make my character later.))

Gaston read the Marshals response over and over again, somewhat displeased by it. He furrowed his brows in thought, considering both options presented by the Duke of Trinacria before grabbing his quill and writing a letter with the Saint-Pierre's opinion on the matter:
I understand why my request cannot be granted, and I humbly accept your decision, Marshal Montségur. While your offer to appoint me as the leader of Exercit Colonial is most gracious, I have to deny it. I simply do not wish to leave my family and the people of Roussillon behind, while I would serv our nation on the other end of the world. But I have to say that becoming an officer by your side is an honour and I accept it without hesitation. I will try my best to not disappoint your expectation of my and prove myself worthy of being called general of Hispania.
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Count of Roussillon, Head of house de Saint-Pierre

State Religion: Abstain
Churches: Subordinate
Inquisition: Catholics

Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre

[landed noble, founded colony]

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Bishop Luys C. H. Etxeto de Calahorra y La Calzada

Catholic
Status Quo
Independent
Status Quo
Abstain
Catholics

((I'm thinking of rejoining this AAR again. Consider my previous character dead. I will make my character later.))

((Okay, I'll remove your character. I still have you listed as count of Córdoba if you're still interested in that title for your next character.))

((And here are the results of the votes. Just a reminder that those related to the ecumenical council are not binding and will be used to draft up a resolution for the council. We'll then vote on that after the update as a single document.

As for the matter of making Christianity the state religion, I have been fiddling around with modding in a new religion for it and it seems to work. Might need some further tweaking later on, but it is feasible. As to what this would mean in-game, all provinces with this new in-game faith would be considered to regions where all Christian faiths are followed in peace and harmony, while those of the existing Christian religions would be considered dominated by one faith or where the minority faiths are not properly respected. I still haven't decided whether this new in-game religion will use church aspects or fervour, but that can be decided later. I'll elaborate on the other options when we actually get to the point where I present the official proposal.))

Name: Juan de Capadocia
Date of Birth: June 14, 1624
Class: Courtier
Religion: Orthodox
Bio: Juan was born as Ioannes Nicolaides, to a small family of Orthodox believers in the province of Cappadocia. He and his family lived a relatively comfortable life until he decided to go to Constantinople to become a merchant. He grew very wealthy in a very short time due to wise investiments and a sizable inheritance from his eccentric uncle. In 1651, he decided to move to Barcelona because they will accept his heretical faith, and also to get closer to the Hispanian court.

Reactions: