• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Support: Madrid Government

((Private - Maxwell))

hWZx03g.png

To Her Majesty Queen Mother Maria Cristina Ferdinanda di Borbone y Borbón vid. Borbón de Muñoz, The Queen Regent of Spain et c. et c.

Estimada Reina Regente,

It has come to my attention that His Holiness and the Chancellor of the Austrian Empire and the Autocrat of all Russians have endorsed the traitor Infante Carlos as successor to the late King Ferdinand VII, these messages can either be false, since none of these men would gain anything from destabalizing the Spanish Monarchy or they are true, both of which are equally worrying. It is thus that I offer my services as diplomat and statesman to your most excellent cause, to protect the Kingdom of Spain from disatrous intervention by foreign autocratic forces.

Your faithfully,

391525179162311210216.png

The Most Excellent Don Erasmo Pedro Manuel Falcon, Marqués de Palau las Islas Encantadas e Comte de Namur

Last edited:
Reactions:
Una Propuesta Modesta: Real Unificador de Hispanidad
by The Most Excellent Don E. P. M. Falcon, Marqués de Palau las Islas Encantadas e Comte de Namur

In the first part of his new book a Modest Proposal: The Royal Unifier of the Spanish World, the widely acclaimed poltical philosopher and writer of the New Prince: Justice, Force, Reform Don Erasmo Falcon motiones that the recent troubles of succession in the Kingdom of Spain are to blame on the invasion of an army seeking to establish an autocratic state, lacking the Spanish Values and Morals that provided Spain its greatness during the Reign of Charles I and Phillip II, which brought with it the fall of Spain's most valued jewels, the Americas. However, he follows this bold statement that due to the autocratic, reactionary and centralized rule of Kingdom of Spain in the XVIII. and XIX. Century weakened and eventually destroyed the natural bonds both with the Spanish Overseas territories and in the Spanish European Kingdom.

In the second part of the book, Don Falcon informs the reader that the Empire is not lost "El Imperio no está muerto!" although he informs the reader that it is breathing its last breaths as his daughter and son are fighting for a crown which is melting away in their futile rivalry. To restore the Empire to its full strength, he motions its ruler should not be an Autocrat, whose policies have been executed countless times by his predecessors and lead to the disintegration of the Empire, nor an unpious monarch, whose values will not convene with the Spanish values and morals that brough greatness and strength upon the Spanish Empire and People, but a symbol of Spanish Royalty, Pride and Prestige, with whom all honest Spanish Men can stand united in their struggle for a unified Hispanidad (Spanish-Speaking World) and against radicalism and reactionarism, which would permanently extinguish the flame of the Empire.

In the third part of the book, Don Falcon motions that upon the return of order and stability to Spain, either through peace and rationalism or war and destruction, all Spaniards, be they Liberal or Conservative, Basque or Castilian, must arm themselves for the cause of restoring the Empire for it will be most important war for the Kingdom of Spain and its people for generations to come, the Guerra de Restauración de la Grandeza, which will, if the Kingdom remains unitied for its cause, reestablish the Viceroyalties in the Overseas territories and the restoration of Spain to the powers that be.

In the last part of the book, Don Falcon motions that when the Viceroyalties are reestablished the Kingdom of Spain should not return to its previous rule of exploitation and oppression but to create an Empire in which all Viceroyalties will be given limited autonomy over internal affairs and the right to establish militias to enforce the laws of the Empire and the Viceroyalty and in which imperial affairs, be they internal or external, be considered by the Cortes-Generales, in which all Viceroyalties and all peoples of Spain will be represented to guarentee the progress in and existence of the Empire for the ages to come. In this Empire, which he referes to as La Hispanidad, the Monarch must act as a unifier of all Spanish peoples, guardian of the Spanish values and morals and principle observer of the Rule of Law, which as he states in his conclusion, will form the last and eternal hope for the Empire.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Jorge_Tadeo_Lozano.jpg

On the Etxeto Estates.
The smoke hung like a thick fog, darkening the room to the Londonian standard. The Lord Etxeto and his brother Senor Tomas puffed thoughtfully at their cigarillos, pondering the news brought forth by courier. Placing the finely rolled tobacco in the crystalline ashtray (for proper cigarillos could only be finely rolled) the Lord turned to his kin, for it seemed that Senor Tomas wished to speak.

"O Lord Brother, what shalt thee seek to do? For want of knowledge, it seems that thee is in a spot of rough weather."

Lord Etxeto, having listened to his brother's complaint, picked up the cigarillo gently and puffed. For a time, which grew as long as a seaman's storm, the Lord was still except for the light movement of his two fingers on his left hand and his lips, puffing away at his tobacco in thoughtful contemplation.

For Senor Tomas, it seemed that his brother took the Lord's time in the full length in which he had been given. Never meant to rush or fidget, his brother could stay like this for hours on end. After the gong of the clock rung thrice, Senor Tomas moved to stand, tired of his brother's stillness. This brought about a quick flash of the Lord Barros' eyes and he slowly replaced the now stubby cigarillo within the ashtray previously described.

"Dearest brother of mine, you panic apace much like a fox when it doth hear the clatter of horse and dog. While the Basque rise from their slumber at the call of Carlos, so doest the army in Madrid at the beck of Maria. Whilst it seems that the Basque are the greater threat, to throw ourselves at the mercy of either party is to risk thine skin and mine.

To which I shall do nought for either party. The Etxeto is a kin which doest not rush to uncertainty. Born in these mountains, we shalt taketh their heed and stand fast in this war. Whence the die is cast, then shall we embark to the capitol to show our loyalty. However, I have retained my contacts within both camps, to keep myself abreast the flavour of this war.

Keep thineself at ease kin of mine, the Etxeto shall never breaketh upon the shores of change."

Senor Tomas smiled and leaned back.

"You doth worried me a spell my kin. Now let us smoke another in celebration of your decision."

Lord Etxeto nodded, not quite as excited as his brother, for it fell upon him to carry Atlas' weight of fate and responsibility.

In the last day of announcements at the Cortes de Galicia, a man approaches the speaker's desk.

"Nobres señores do consello,

Veño respectuosamente fronte a esta casa a situarme canto á cuestión da sucesión española. Substitúo meu pai, que precisou viaxar de volta a nosas terras a resolver cousas de finanzas. Sen dúbida a cuestión é complexa e presenta ameazas á estabilidade dos reinos de Galiza e España, con todo espero que vexan que hai un camiño de conseguir manter o noso pobo sen a marca de guerra ou fame. Señores, o goberno de Madrid pretende nos destruír. As pretensións de quen finje defender o Imperio como subterfuxios das súas inclinacións liberaes seguramente nos levarán todos á ruína. Estes liberaes pretenden empobrecer a Santa Madre Igrexa, eliminar os dereitos locaes e facer que obedezan a sú jacobinismo ateo.

Por outra banda, existe unha solución. Logo veciño à Galiza, Carlos esperaba ata hai pouco en Portugal, e hoxe recibe o apoio de diversos señores respectuosos do País Vasco e Cataluña. Carlos é un home de Deus, e os seus ideais, por canto poden non ser o ideal para manter toda a autonomía da que Galicia aproveitou-se até hoxe, son devidadamente tradicionalistas e respetables. Se consigamos convencer a Carlos de que o Reino está con el, é posible prever un futuro moito máis prometedor a nós todos.

Galiza está nunha decisión ambigua, nobres señores. Pero eu, e así a familia Soutomaior y Andrade, digo e xuro que é mellor que salvemos nosa conciencia ea das nosas almas, ea vida ea prosperidade do noso pobo, do que emprender unha alianza con jacobinos e así perder nosa honra e dignidade. Hai só unha opción! Viva Carlos! Viva o Rei!"

"Noble gentlemen of the council,

I come respectfully in front of this house to situate myself in the matter of the Spanish succesion. I replace my father, who needed to travel back to our lands to resolve financial matters. No doubt, the question is complex and presents threats to the stability of the Kingdoms of Galicia and Spain, however I hope you see that there is a way to keep our people from being marked by war and famine. Gentlemen, the Madrid government intends to destroy us. The pretensions of those who pretend to defend the Empire as subterfuge to their liberal inclinations will surely lead us to ruin. These liberal intend to impoverish the Holy Mother Church, eliminate local rights and make all obey their liberal jacobinism.

On the other hand, there is a solution. Right next to Galicia, Carlos waited until soon in Portugal, and today he receives support of many respectable gentlemen of the Basque Country and Catalonia. Carlos is a man of God, and his ideals, however not ideal to maintain the full range of autonomy that Galicia enjoyed until today, are rightfully traditionalist and respectable. If we can convince Carlos that the Kingdom is with him, it is possible to predict a much more promising future to us all.

Galicia is at an ambiguous decision, noble gentlemen. But I, and the whole Soutomaior y Andrade family, say and swear that it is best for us to save our conscience and that of our souls, and the life and the prosperity of our people, than to go into an alliance with jacobins and therefore lose our honour and dignity. There is only one option! Long live Carlos! Long live the King!"

Support: Carlists!

- Don Artai Amaro de Soutomaior y Andrade

Support: Carlists

It's time to recreate the Empire!

The bar was busy but Carlos appear to find the man. He was sit behind a two too drunk lousy men. The opium fills the air.

<<So>> Carlos said <<what do you want?>>
<<Well>> the man said <<why are you supporting the Carlists?>>
<<A question to answer? Great. I support them because they can recreate the Empire.>>
<<Right but you don't know the exact part of the story.>>
<<Go on.>>
<<After Carlos V set is royal ass on the throne, he will get all the power and...>>
<<The power from God>> Carlos interrupted him.
<<Which God? He will arise above him, he will take everythings he want. He is using you, the catholics, the church. You talk about "god". He consider himself the only Dio Espanolo.>>
<<How you can be so sure?>>
<<See, maybe Isabella is not the right Queen but at least she want that every Spanish to be safe and happy and even the Isabelist want to rebuild the Empire.>>
<<So, you're asking me to betray my ideals.>>
<<No, we respect your ideals and, because of that, we want to protect them from a man who want the power for himself.>>

They rimaned silent while the two lousy men were starting a fight.

<<So...>> the man asked.
<<...I'm listening...>>

Support: Carlist --> Madrid Government

Reactions:
THE ALBA CHRONICLES (III) - ((Private))

Don Miguel Fitz-James Stuart was sitting inside his small cabinet within the barracks of Gerafe, a town to the south of Madrid, and working with papers. Húsares de la Princesa, the regiment he has been commanding, has spent all late months here, since it has been formed in March 1833. The Duke of Alba, after a falling out with the current Secretary of Grace and Justice, Senor del Pino, has shocked the high society of the capital by retiring from his offices in the Ministry and rejoining active military service. Ferdinand VII, whose favorite the Duke yet remained at that moment, ordered him to form the new unit, bearing the name of his heir-to-be María Isabel Luisa. By that time Don Miguel managed to kick the regiment into shape and fill most officer vacancies, but there was still much to be done.

- SIr, a certain... Don Francisco de Montcada wishes to see you. - a round-cheeked orderly walked into the room and saluted his Coronel. He was followed by a cavalry captain, in his forties and wearing a rather faded uniform. He had intelligent hazel eyes, a very long and crooked nose - and magnificent black sidewhiskers, that were supposed to hide a terrible sabre scar slashing through his left cheek. The captain was sporting an Order of St Hermengildo on his chest.

- Sit down, sit down, Senor. So, you are wishing to join our regiment? - the Duke pointed towards one of the chairs and looked at the other officer. He had never seen the son of his fencing master before - but immediately noticed the resemblance between the old man and the captain. - Yes, sir, I would be glad to. - answered Montcada in a rather hoarse voice. Don Miguel smiled pleasantly and then asked, in a matter-of-fact tone. - So, when did you enter service and where saw action?

Francisco thought for a moment, as if deciding, where to begin. Then he started bending his fingers. - I put on a red cockade in 1808, Your Excellency. Joined the loyalist guarillieros to fight the froggies. Served under Cuesta and Albuquerque, saw Talavera and Tamames. At the end of the campaign led an irregular company - but after the restoration of His Majesty my rank was not recognized, so... The captain did not finish his phrase, but the Duke of Alba nodded sympathetically. He knew many such cases - war dogs who fought in patriotic militias during Peninsular Campaign later had problems with military bureaucrats sitting in their cabinets. Life is not fair.

- ... So I acquired a commission within the Regimiento de Farnesio, in the line cavalry. Later had participated in the expedition to New Granada. Spent eight years fighting the rebels there. The Duke of Alba nodded approvingly - and then remember something the fencing master told him about his son. A rather unusual fact for a small hidalgo-officer type. - But, as I understand, you left the army in 1825? And... managed to become quite successful in another occupation?

De Montcada for a moment was silent. He studied his fingers and scratched his beard, but then answered. - Yes. My wife inherited a cocao plantation and I decided to help her manage it. We made three times as much money as what her father got from it. Alba grinned - not many military people had businessmen instincts. Most of them were good at spending money and becoming broke, not the other way round. Also - it was good that this man had means. Service in cavalry, especially in such a regiment, was considered prestigious. You had to have... certain funds, if you wanted to the part of the crowd, buying expensive horses, going to the right restaurants and theatres.

- So why did you decide to put the epaulets on again? Is the smell of barraсks so inciting for you? The smile of Francisco faded, as he prepared to answer. His eyes for a moment became sad and grim, as if he remembered about something very unpleasant. - Well, I always loved the army life... And after my wife died, I could not even look at the damned plantation. For a few second the both gentlemen said nothing, but then the Duke decided to change the topic. - My condolences. So, would you like the take the 4th squadron, it is still...

As he was finishing his remark, the door suddenly opened - and Lt. Colonel Pedro Borja Téllez-Girón walked in, clearly in a quite agitated state. The second in command to Alba was a small plump person with magnificent moustache - and now, sweaty and red-faced, he looked quite comical. But Alba did not laugh - if this usually calm and dignified caballiero was so nervous, something very bad should have happened. - Your Excellency, urgent news... Need to talk... - blurted out Lieutenant Colonel Téllez-Girón, trying to master his breath. Then he gave Montcada a suspicious gaze and wiped his forehead, which was as wet as a coat after a rain. - Senor de Montcada, I hope to very soon converse with again... - the Duke of Alba inclined his head, bidding his farewell to the captain.

When Francisco left the cabinet, Téllez-Girón ran to the table and gave his senior officer several letters. - Dispatches from the capital, Colonel! His Majesty has died... and the Pope and the Russian and Austrian emperors have recognized Don Carlos as his heir... In the first seconds Miguel felt only shock. Then - pangs of grief. Ferdinand VII was his King, whom he has served loyally all his life, in whom he had seen the personification of the great Spain. They were close before the vile disease has chained the Sovereign to his bed and de-facto moved his scepter into the hands of canny advisors. Of course, Ferdinand VII was not perfect. While possessing the willful personality needed to defend and maintain the strength of the Monarchy and the unity of Country, he often damaged the moral authority of his Crown by his dishonest and fickle ways. And yet it was Ferdinand who held the state together - and now it would be torn apart.

- The Holy Father recognized Carlos as our KIng? Now he would surely land.... - Alba stood up and bit his lips in fury. The civil war he hated and feared was coming, everything that the Restoration has build during the previous period could burn in the fires of kinslaying conflict. - F..k. They should have called the Cortes when I advised them to. Despite them being alone in the room, the Lieutenant Colonel lowered his voice to something bordering a whisper. - So... What should we do? For whom should we declare? We are used to following orders coming from Madrid, but the Pope... The Pope...

At that moment Pedro Téllez-Girón lost his voice. He was a cousin of the Duke of Osuna, possessed several manors in Valencia and considered himself a happy and successful person. A civil war could ruin everything for him. A landowner does not care under whose banners serve the soldiers who burn and plunder his estate. - Well, we are the Hussars of the Princess... - the Colonel said slowly, while playing with the hilt of his sword. His eyes were now cold and expressionless. - ... But does it make us automatically the Hussars of the Queen? Currently just await for my orders. When his second-in-command left, Don Miguel laughed - but the laugh was resembling a bark of a dog now. He took out his wallet, pulled a peso out of it and chucked it high into the air.... - So, Isabella or Carlos? By Jove, I have all time of the world to decide.

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png

From the DUKE of ALBA to HER MAJESTY MARIA CRISTINA FERDINANDA, DOWAGER QUEEN of SPAIN
((Maxwell500 - Private))

First of all, I should express my deepest condolences regarding the death of your august Husband, who is, without doubt, now resting in Heaven. His departure grieves me not only as a loyal Subject, but, if I am to dare use this expression, a friend. For this reason I now write to you - and would speak not the honeyed speeches many of the courtiers prefer to pour into the ears of potentates, but the truth, maybe sour, but necessary.

The Spanish Realm is now divided over the matter of succession and the consequences of the future conflict may put an end to the Spanish Monarchy as it is. For the people who are currently see the Count of Molina as their champion belong to the classes and the political groups which have been the backbone of the Spanish Monarchy for years. Should they become rebels, should they marginalize - the Throne may found itself greatly weakened, for without a strong and reasonable right the left quickly becomes strong and unreasonable, this is what the political science tells us.

Even more threatening for the Crown is the falling out with the Holy Roman Church. The strength of the Monarchy is its sacred nature, for it receives its powers from God himself. But how can the Crown claim to have such powers, if the Gods institutions on Earth, if the Pontiff himself does not recognize it? Would not the Monarchy then turn into an earthly instrument, which canny politicians would use and shape as they wish, turning the Sovereign into some kind of ceremonial figure, receiving His salary from the Cortes Generales. Without the support of the religious circles, it would be the best outcome, while the worst would be the establishment of a Popular Republic.

Therefore, Your Majesty, an entente with Rome is needed and needed urgently, as well as civil peace within the Realm.

I suggest the following: why not call a Cortes Generals, with the presence of the Papal legates. Let the representative assembly of our land consider the question of the Pragmatic Sanction as it did fourty years ago. Such a Cortes could have swept away all rumors of machinations and fraud regarding the succession issue that currently pushes so many people into the rank of the so-called Carlists. While a precedent should not be set that this formation would have binding authority on that matter, the Crown could easily order it to make a ruling and obligate itself to follow it in the concrete case.

In any case, a peace with the Pontiff and the dissenting Bishops is something without which the Crown would never be safe.

I remain a faithful servant of the Crown and Dynasty,
Miguel Garcia Fitz-James Stuart y Silva,
Duke of Alba

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png

From the DUKE of ALBA to HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS INFANTE CARLOS, COUNT of MOLINA
((Riccardo93 - Private))

Your Royal Highness,

Having known you for many years and even having the honor to share the exile in Bayonne with you and your August father and brothers, I dare to write to you on the most worrying matter that is now on the mind of every Spaniard.

A potential civil war in Spain may become an end to it as a great Realm. The Royal Army, the illustrious creature of the Restoration, could be damaged beyond repair, its officers and soldiers killing each other in a kinslaying struggle. Due to internal disorders we have already lost our empire in the Americas, now the unity of our own Kingdom is at risk, for would not a country weakened by such bloodshed become a vulnerable victim to other countries?

You are known as a man of family, religion and solid principles, therefore, Your Royal Highness probably understand the great damage that would an armed conflict cause to the prestige of the House of Bourbon. The scions of the Louis the Saint and Louis the Sun King fighting each other, an Uncle leading an army against his own Niece - would not such an event be disgraceful for the Throne and Realm, would it not make us the laughing stock of Europe, resembling some wild Tartars battling over the corpse of their Khan?

I suggest a peaceful solution to the dispute - since you believe that the acts issued by His Catholic Majesty Ferdinand VII are illegal, why not assemble Cortes Generals, with the representation of the Holy Church?

Duke of Alba

Last edited:

support: Carlists

upload_2016-2-21_17-41-5.png
upload_2016-2-21_17-41-21.png

To the noble ladies and gentlemen of the Spanish Realm,

We write to you today in the hope that we can avoid civil unrest across our most illustrious land. We are all of Spanish blood, is it truly wise and appropriate in the eyes of our Lord to kill each other’s kin?The portuguese have faced a similar situation to that we now are at the crossroads of, and see where they stand now! We fear that if we allow civil dissent to pervade our realm, we could fall further from the most noble and enlightened dreams of our forebearers, as it will surely insure the collapse of all civil and military institutions and a collapse of society as we recognise it at this present time. We can not allow for our land to be ravaged by the mights of the Lord and of military. We must insure the legitimacy of our ruler. Let us not fall into war, thus we urge each and everyone of you to join in the call for a meeting of the Cortes, and for a solution to be found between these two opposing sides, may God bless each of you. We hope you can join us in a decisive decision on whether to accept the Pragmática Sanción of 1830, ratifying the decree of 1789, and thus decide, legally, who is the appropriate ruler of our fair land. We will invite representatives of the Holy See, to insure the legitimacy of our cause.

We ask these that those who are embittered against each other and see the sword as a final solution to consider the following points:

• Both sides are Spanish in mind, flesh and soul and spilling the blood of your kin is a grave sin.

• The Spanish Royal Army is a foundation of its strength and a guarantee of its independence. A civil conflict could destroy it and make our Real vulnerable for external threats.

• The support of the Catholic Roman Church is crucial for the existence of the Spanish Monarchy, for without it the sacred nature of this institution may be damaged beyond repair. No Throne would be safe until it is at peace with the Altar - therefore, an entente between the Crown, the Papacy and the Clergy are necessary.
We hope that you may accept to this, and should you do, We ask that you enclose a reply, with your signature upon the paper. We shall then send this onto Infanta Isabella and Infante Carlos, in the hopes they can join us, in body or in spirit, to reach a solution to this most significant of problems.

Yours truly Miguel Garcia Fitz-James Stuart, Duke of Alba and His Serene Highness Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta di Belmonte, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire and Belmonte

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-21_17-41-43.png
    upload_2016-2-21_17-41-43.png
    100,8 KB · Views: 30
Reactions:

From the DUKE of ALBA to HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS INFANTE CARLOS, COUNT of MOLINA ((Riccardo93 - Private))

Your Royal Highness,

Having known you for many years and even having the honor to share the exile in Bayonne with you and your August father and brothers, I dare to write to you on the most worrying matter that is now on the mind of every Spaniard.

A potential civil war in Spain may become an end to it as a great Realm. The Royal Army, the illustrious creature of the Restoration, could be damaged beyond repair, its officers and soldiers killing each other in a kinslaying struggle. Due to internal disorders we have already lost our empire in the Americas, now the unity of our own Kingdom is at risk, for would not a country weakened by such bloodshed become a vulnerable victim to other countries?

You are known as a man of family, religion and solid principles, therefore, Your Royal Highness probably understand the great damage that would an armed conflict cause to the prestige of the House of Bourbon. The scions of the Louis the Saint and Louis the Sun King fighting each other, an Uncle leading an army against his own Niece - would not such an event be disgraceful for the Throne and Realm, would it not make us the laughing stock of Europe, resembling some wild Tartars battling over the corpse of their Khan?

I suggest a peaceful solution to the dispute - since you believe that the acts issued by His Catholic Majesty Ferdinand VII are illegal, why not assemble Cortes Generals, with the representation of the Holy Church?

Duke of Alba

A VE, el Duque de Alba

I well remember our shared exile those many years ago, and I know of the pains and fears now sweeping over the fatherland – the pain of my people would make me weep, would I have time for that.

Having read the entirety of your letter, I can say this freely; whilst I cannot accept the legitimacy of the institution of the Cortes trumping my own powers as King, I have no issue with my supporters attempting to use it for the benefit of Spain. I myself despise the thought of war against my own subjects, my own countrymen, and if it can be avoided in such a manner, I will remain quiet and allow the proceedings to continue without complaint or incident – though I must make clear that if such a course is to be followed, it would only be prudent to allow me to enter into Spain freely, unless the powers of the “Regent” is so weak, and so risking of collapse by my mere presence that such a benign request cannot be even considered.

In short, if this can avoid bloodshed and civil war, disunion and chaos, I will not stand against the use of the Cortes in this matter, though I, in one final breath, make my concerns known; I fear the “Regent” shall make every use of her powers and influences, and more importantly, the influences of her supporters in power, to ensure that the Cortes remains a force dominated by the Jacobinical forces at her temporary employ, and that my supporters, who in every region of Spain seem to be the majority, will be left impotent and powerless. Furthermore, I must say, even if the Cortes should rule against me, I will not surrender my fight, for I am by all rights King of Spain, blessed by God as such, supported by my People, and as such I cannot abandon either for fear of Hell or Treachery.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

To His Majesty, Carlos V, King of Spain
Your Majesty,

No true christian spaniard can deny your rights as decreed by the laws of God and men. That the Jacobin forces your royal brother fought against all his reign have used his illness to insinuate themselves into the heart of power and attempt to deny you your God-given right is a travesty most unforgivable.

Know you have my service, and that I advocate the justice of your cause amongst my peers and fellow officers.

Humbly yours,
Colonel, The Marquis of Viver.

A VE, el Marques de Vivar

I pray to God Almighty and the Blessed Virgin that every Christian Spaniard holds to those same thoughts; the viciousness and perfidy of these Jacobins, and their willingness to abuse the death of my Royal Brother, is beyond contempt, and perhaps amongst the surest signs that these men, who would abuse the youth and inherent childish trustfulness of my niece, to further advance their own agenda, and further undermine the monarchy.

However, aware of your loyalty to our Just Cause, and of the love my people bear for me, I know that with the Love of God as well, we shall triumph over these destructive forces and restore the fatherland.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

Reactions:
Vote: Madrid Government/Isabel

~Carlos Maria Alvear y Ponce de Leon

{{ Wait there are two De Leon characters ? }}
((Technically I'm a "Alvear y Ponce de Leon," so descended from the Alvear and Ponce de Leon families, not de Leon itself.))

Reactions:
The Papacy in the Carlist War

The Papal States and the Kingdom of Spain have always held a close relationship together. The Spanish were the bastion of Catholicism, and the most Catholic nation in all of Europe save maybe the Italian states. The Papal States have always stood beside the Spanish monarch, and in return, the Spanish have taken a constant role in upholding Catholicism in their lands, at some points at the end of a sword. With the battle of ideologies though, many people began to wonder what side the Pope supported. Maria Cristina was a very Catholic woman, and she tried constantly to prevent her liberal ministers from stripping land away from the Catholic Church. However, if Maria Cristina was simply a believer, Don Carlos was a devout zealot. Don Carlos held his Catholic faith over everything else with the exception of his right to rule. This threw Pope Gregory XVI into a loop.

8YXjBrI.jpg

(Pope Gregory XVI)

Gregory though was a man of peace. He hated this rebellion, and tried to get both sides to come together peacefully for a solution. While he had his sympathies to Don Carlos, he upheld the constitutional authority of a monarch, and chose not to pick a side. Little did he know that a group of Cardinals acting in his name had already made a "decision" on his behalf. A group of Cardinals told Don Carlos that he had Papal support in his cause. Of course, it took a while for Pope Gregory XVI to realize this. Many Cardinals backed Carlos in his quest for the throne. Of course, when Pope Gregory XVI realized this, he immediately spoke that he did not sign that recognition. He said that he respects the constitutional authority of a monarch, and believes that this rebellion was pointless and that peace should be sowed between the two sides. So with that, the Vatican declared neutrality. Many Cardinals, Bishops, and Priests would act on their own in Spain during the Carlist Wars, some siding with Isabel, some siding with Carlos. Regardless, without papal approval, would Carlos be able to complete his divine mission?

Last edited:
The illegitimate pretender to Queen Isabella's throne, Prince Carlos, is raising an anarchistic army against the Spanish nation in his mad quest for personal glory. However, as we loyal Spaniards face the traitorous hordes, it is important to remember that we have more Spaniards under arms than they. Carlos' revolt is swelled with Basques, Galicians, and Catalans; but very few Spaniards among them. In order to vainly attempt to seize temporary power, he has made a devil's pact with separatists and anarchists that would tear the Spanish Kingdom asunder.

Spain has always been faithful to the one true church, and it is doubtless that God will not abandon Queen Isabella and her mother Maria Cristina, for to do so would to see Spain utterly destroyed and countless petty feudal states emerge where once a mighty empire stood.

-General Don Joaquín Baldomero Fernández-Espartero y Alvarez de Toro

Fernando sat in his study, working on yet another chapter of his soon-to-be masterpiece on Justinian's Corpus Iuris Civils, but today, he couldn't really concentrate. He torn yet another page out of the manuscript, considering it not clear enough or worthy of the book. His thoughts kept drifting towards the crisis in the making. Fernando was well aware that Isabella is the rightful heir to the throne, but he knew that the word of law may matter little in the days to come.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Fernando angrily shouted: "Enter!", the door slowly opened and his maid came in. She looked intimidated - Fernando was a good man, but it was best to leave him alone when he was in this mood. She hastily put a cup of warm black coffee on the table, along with the recent mail. "Thank you, Mercedes. Don't forget to close the door when you leave.", he murmured. He laid his pen aside and started reading - A professor from Sorbonne responding to one of his theses, matters regarding the purchase of another tobacco plantation from a debt-ridden colonist, and also news from the North, where the rebellion against the queen was already brewing.

Fernando thought about this for quite some time. He looked at an empty envelope and a piece of paper. He knew that what he's about to do is rather daring, but he thought it may be a good idea to win the minds and hearts of the people for the queen. He grabbed a pen and started to write:

((Private - Maxwell))
To Her Majesty Maria Christina di Borbone, Queen Regent of the Kingdom

Your Royal Highness,

I have long been worrying whether it would not be too daring to reach you with this letter, for...

...The Kingdom is now on a crossroad - the radical constitution of 1812 is forgotten, and the strict anti-constitutional position of the deceased King Ferdinand, peace be upon him, now belongs to the history. Yet, the Kingdom needs not only a good and just rule, which we all thank Your Majesty for, but also a legal basis to the way Spain manages its affairs. The constitution is not necessarily a mere Jacobin pamphlet as we have seen, it is a basis for all the laws of the country Your Majesty wishes to order.

Therefore, I humbly propose to assemble a society of noble men, both from the domain of politics, conservatives and progressives alike, and the domain of iurisprudence, to begin the works on such a document. Should Your Majesty, whose power comes from God alone, wish to bless the kingdom with a new constitution to your liking, it would surely be a significant milestone in the history of our kingdom and an encouragement for all the people in the land, who will surely back your rightful claim against the usurper.

Your humble servant,

Don Fernando de Gálvéz y Azanza

((Private))

Miguel de Costa laid in a soft, comfortable bed, his wife next to him. He let out a long sigh, his eyes strained with stress and exhaustion.

"Esme, This whole Carlist debacle is driving me crazy. There's so much conflict, so much anger. All I can hope for is that Leòn doesn't get hit by the approaching storm. If only there was something I could do, to keep our city safe."

"Miguel, there is so much you could do for Spain, but you can't stay in Leòn. You must go to Madrid, and serve the Queen in the Cortes Generales."

"The Cortes isn't even in session, and it won't be in session until this whole fiasco is over. I highly doubt these reactionary nobles will even go as far as to form a government, and besides Esme, I can't leave you here, alone."

"I have Pedro to keep me company, as well as the maids. Really Miguel, you mustn't stay in Leòn, you won't be of any use to the Queen here."

"I haven't even recognized the Queen, nor Carlos as the monarch Esme." He sighs. "I enjoyed the Bonapartists much more than the Bourbons, despite the fact that they were French."

"Miguel, you have a duty to serve Spain, and you must recognize one side or the other, you can't remain neutral on this issue!"

The politician sighs in agreement. "I guess I should declare for Madrid. They're the legitimate government, and much more liberal than Carlos."

"I'm proud of you Miguel."

"Thank you Esme."

((Public))