• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's that great big pale blue blob to the west that worries me a bit.

Nice dismantling of Austria, Carligula. I wonder when one of the doges will look southwards towards the compelling CoT in Alexandria and those poor oppressed Holy Lands. It's an outrage, I tell you. An outrage!

Originally posted by MrT
It's that great big pale blue blob to the west that worries me a bit.

Nice dismantling of Austria, Carligula. I wonder when one of the doges will look southwards towards the compelling CoT in Alexandria and those poor oppressed Holy Lands. It's an outrage, I tell you. An outrage!

Don't worry. the French don't stand a ghost of a chance. We have.... The proud naval tradition of Venice, and a functioning cortex!

The Mamelukes are really, really, irritating. I poured hundreds of ducats as barbarigo into warning them and guaranteeing their neighbors. Nothing!

Thanks all... thanks especially to Faeelin who won the war for me before his untimely end. :)

The A-Team's story continues to lurch along... slowly. :rolleyes: Daniel McC, go ahead and get a refill of that beer you're imbibing, but my tale will be finished by Saturday at the latest. If not, I volunteer to be drawn and quartered.

And a blob will be crippled... just neither of the ones mentioned.

Leonardo Loredan, part 4

Even as Panaro and Gritti sailed to claim the New World’s riches for Venice, I reconsidered the wisdom of this approach. It would be well to take what Spain and Portugal had not yet claimed. Would it not be better to attack these nations, and in a single blow destroy both their colonial empires and their ability to rebuild them?

A war of this magnitude would, I thought, require a valid cause. I tried to produce one by ordering our merchants to directly challenge the Spanish in their precious Andalusian markets; surely this effrontery would result in their banishment. And so it might have; had not a trade agreement existed between our nations.

I might have cancelled the agreement and repeated the attempt; but I let the matter fall, and no more considered war with the Spanish. I remain unsure – and probably ever shall be, even given the infinite time for reflection I am now sure to be my destiny – if I did right by the Republic with this decision.

But I had made my choice, and Venice made its first few halting steps along the peaceful path I had chosen. Word eventually reached me that on December 17, 1507, Panaro had found a suitable anchorage in the Bahamas. By the following year, a colony had been established there; colonies and trading posts on several other islands, and on the American continent as well, followed within a few years.

And as if to mock me for forbearing war, a Spanish herald arrived on June 2, 1511 to announce the “Treaty” – which they ludicrously expected Venice, never a party to its adoption, to honor – of Tordesillas; a document purporting to grant Spain title, on Papal authority, to the lands Venice was now colonizing. Surprising on many levels, this was; not least that any Papal authority yet existed. I was not able to connect our sworn enemy, the house of Contarini, with the reappearance of the exiled Pope, but I know it to be so; if I regret any aspect of my present condition, it is that I shall never receive confirmation.

I believe the trail may eventually lead to the Palatinat; the Contarinis’ old lackeys surfaced in that hitherto insignificant Electorate two months earlier, when Francesco Foscari di Nicolo presented himself to its Kurfurst and outlined a mad scheme for it, and its allies, to take up the Emperor Maximillian’s fallen banner and attack Venice. He claimed other Venetian nobles would take advantage of the situation to remove me from the palace and reinstall the Pope in Rome; this claim unfortunately became known to those of our citizens who had never reconciled themselves to our secular rule of Rome and caused general unrest for a time.

After this treachery, neither the conquest of Naples – begun in August 1511, ended in February 1512 – nor the spontaneous acceptance of Catholicism by the people of Anatolia a few months later was any consolation. For this reminder of the obstacles my family had overcome to put me in my place forced me to make an admission to myself. Even having reached the age at which most men’s epitaphs are already fading, I still thirsted for glory. And what had I done?

Successfully finishing an already-assured victory over Austria… planting the banner of St. Mark in the Caribbean… baldly purchasing the fealty of Genoa… no, none of these were enough to satisfy me. And more – they were not enough for a Loredan, the first Loredan ever to serve as Doge. I was never motivated by the opinions of others, but for a few - those who share my name. I could not leave the palace without justifying the sacrifices my forebears had made for me, without making our family coat of arms as one with the flag of the Republic.

As the winter of 1513 began, I returned to Venice from a short trip to my family villa at Noventa Vicentina. The falling oak leaves brushed against my carriage, and I knew I could not be long to follow. And I began to write the orders to raise and position armies for one more war – my war. There would be no real national interest at stake there, save the liberation of a few cities professing some affinity to traditional Venetian ways. The target could not be seen as a likely threat to the Republic. Certainly there would be no recognizable justification for this war. I would fight it for myself, and my family, alone. In just over a year, I would strike at Hungary.

Hurrah! Give em what for!

And pick up the pace. My liver is weeping from all the Bailey's I'm drinking while waiting to post.

At least, I think it's weeping. It's certainly leaking something, and the alternatives are too awful to contemplate.

Yet another great instalment. Thanks for stretching this out so well...the B-Team has almost caught up to us (temporally...certainly not territorially). On the other hand I think it's time to move forward so whenever you're ready (if it happens to be before tomorrow) feel free to proceed.

Originally posted by MrT
Yet another great instalment. Thanks for stretching this out so well...the B-Team has almost caught up to us (temporally...certainly not territorially). On the other hand I think it's time to move forward so whenever you're ready (if it happens to be before tomorrow) feel free to proceed.

Thanks for so euphemistically describing my snail's pace-writing as "stretching it out". ;)

Leonardo Loredan, part 5

When the historians turn to the Hungarian war, they will no doubt speak of it as an example of the art and science of Venetian warfare. It was nothing of the sort. In truth it was a slaughter. Hungary, not having tasted combat for so long, relied still on small, ramshackle fortresses, and weaponry better suited to my grandfather’s wars. I found the glory I sought, but only in the results.

The blow fell on January 2, 1515; earlier than I expected, but the lands along the Danube were for once free of the deep snows which were my only real concern. Hungary called upon an oddly configured alliance consisting of Hannover, Bremen, Mecklenburg, Pommern, and Bosnia. All of these left the war within three months – the Germans via status quo peaces, Bosnia via annexation. With this annoying outpost conquered, the rest of the main armies drove into Hungary itself.

veninvasionhun.txt

I erred in saying the weather was my only concern. The Hungarian warrior-prince Jan Zapolya was rumored to be a formidable adversary, but he was twice bested in battle by Lucio Malvezzo. As the first Venetian commander of note to rise through the ranks – never a condotierre – I waited with particular eagerness for word of Malvezzo’s successes. Unfortunately he died in September from infection of a trifling wound; but I am sure others will follow him. In this war, it hardly mattered. The condition of Hungary’s defenses invited the tactic of direct assault, leaving little room for technical brilliance. Zagreb was successfully stormed in April, and from then on cities fell like dominoes, one every second month. By January 20, 1516, the entire country was in Venetian hands, and – with the exception of the capital city – the subsequent peace treaty left it there.

With my bloodlust satisfied, I turned to internal matters. Near the end of the war, our German allies sent word of a religious movement sweeping their nations, with such force as to be considered virtually a new faith. I did not bother to understand the theological distinctions involved, but apparently with the Pope exiled, certain clerics were protesting that his strictures were no longer binding. The movement quickly spread to Hungary, and the already-conquered provinces of Banat and Transylvania immediately adopted this creed. When they became part of Venice, I ordered their new administrators to grant the same rights of worship to these Protestants as those enjoyed by our Catholic and Orthodox citizens. But I also requested the Council to hold back the better part of 1517’s revenues to fund missionary activities in these provinces, as well as the Orthodox strongholds of Ruthenia and, eventually, Thrace itself.

This mission to Constantinople forced me to make the last great choice of my life. And though many of my actions – more, I confess, than I ever believed at the time – still trouble me after these reflections, I have no doubt but that I chose well this time.

For I knew that converting the City – the home of the Orthodox Patriarch himself – would require a man of truly unusual skill. I asked the bishop of Venice if there was not a priest of his acquaintance possessing such skill, enough to singlehandedly undo over a millennia of beliefs. He responded that, yes, there was one. He flatly refused to give his name, and said it would be better were I not to know it. But he sent him to the Palace.

His face gave me a shock of recognition, like seeing in the flesh a figure of a nightmare… yet I felt more at ease the longer we spoke. After discussing the arrangements for funding (over 900,000 ducats!), his opinion as to chances of success, and other trifles, I could resist no longer.

May God bless your work, and know that the Republic is in your debt, I said. And what is your name?

Gasparo Contarini, he said.

… I bade him go. I could not say it to him – my vanity cursed me one last time – but I know he could see in my ancient face, that I was burying the injustice his grandfather did to mine, nearly a century before. The Loredans had suffered at the Contarini’s hands – but no less they at ours. And it was time to end our vendetta, for the good of the Republic. I had achieved what Pietro was denied… leave the dead to bury their own dead.

I died on June 23, 1521, with Venice at peace with the world, and I at peace with my name.

Political map
venpolitical1521.txt

Colonies
vencolonial1521.txt

Diplomatic map
vendiplo1521.txt

Religious map
venreligious1521.txt

Last edited:
Well done! :)

and the A-team's Venice just cannot be stopped.... :D

Excellent work Carligula. A most enjoyable read (great writing!)and I like the modest and controled gains. Huzzah!

Prufrock451: Thanks. Sorry to keep you (and your immediate predecessors) waiting so long to get their doges posted...

kurtbrian: Well, the ocean can stop us... CTDs can stop us... :D

MrT: Thanks, and "modest and controlled"... the idea was that whatever I took, we could hold. :)

shawng1: A fine idea... although we would then have four religions to worry about (if my conversions don't take). We might get hit with several holy wars, most of them internal. I'd like to see somebody try it though. :)

Carligula,

Only temporarily would we have 4 religions. (I assume you're counting Protestant there, as Islam only counts one for us, IIRC). and we could deal with the infidel through pogrom and sword as we have in the past. It would be difficult for a time. But who cares of earthly difficulties when eternal glory is at hand!

HE WILLS IT!:p

Woohoo, I get to post after the next guy. Of course I'll be in Florida all of this week as part of my job, so I suppose I'll get to psot some time next week. Woohooo :p

[evil master voice]
Impressive, most impressive. You are indeed powerful as MrT has forseen, Carligua. You have served Venice well, and you have brought us one step closer to the Dark Side...
[/evil master voice]

:D

Oh, and you wrote well, too. Glad I'm an A-team member and a part of this band of evil writers. :)

I take a few days off, and I have a new doge to read about. :D, thats the way I like it. :cool:

A most excellent piece of work Carligula, and I'm looking forward to what comes next. Although, you've set a new standard, now I'm going to have to re-read this whole thread and toss in sub-plots and allusions to previous Doge's and conspiracies just to keep things even. ;).

RJ