• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Exceptional writing fellow Doges!
I had quite a few pages to read through since my last visit, but I enjoyed every one of them. :)

oh! me too me too!!!

Eurhm he want.....no, wait...He WILLS it! (that it)

:D

Ok, I've finally torn myself from NWN, and am almost ready to post. It should be about half an hour.

An extract from 'The Venitian Chronicles' with side notes by Proffessor Jones of the London museum.

Part E.

June

On the 23rd day of the 6th month of this year, Antonio Grimani was formally invested by the senate as Doge of the Venitian Empire. In his speech he decreed that unlike some of his predecessors, he would glorify the greatest tradition of Venice...trade. To further this statement, His Grace immediately opened the imperial treasury, and financed 2 foreign trade expeditions, both to our neighbours in Liguria. His Grace also financed the founding of a trading post in the new world, in a land named 'Seminole'.

July

On the first day of this month, His Grace again opened the imperial treasury, this time in order to donate an average sum to our merchants here in the eternal city, in order to help stave off foreign competition.
On the third day of this month, we recieved news in the eternal city that a colony had been successfully established in the new world, in another strange area known as 'Curacao'.
On the twenty fifth day of this month, his Grace formally sealed an agreement of trade, with the distant Norse nation of Sweden.

August

Little happened of note in August, so I have chosen to cut it. Prof J.

September

On the third day of this month, the ruler of nearby Moldavia woke to find himself in a state of war with his Imperial neigbours in Venice. It had become increasingly clear to His Grace, as he laid out to the senate, that Moldavia had become infected with a plague that evidently drove the people insane. He declared that this war was not an aggressive action but rather a 'police action'. Several senators expressed doubt. People throughout the empire look now upon His Graces first speech, in which he made no mention of 'police actions'. There has been a definite drop in morale in the empire. On the border, 13,000 imperial soldiers were sent across the border.
On the 23rd day of this month, we recieved news that the Imperial legion 'Policing' Moldavia had defeated about 1000 'trouble-makers'.

October

On the first day of this month, the general low feeling in the realm erupted into violence as the people of Odenburg province declared that they felt the Doge was mad, and raised soldiers to support these claims. His Grace did not take kindly to this, and sent an Imperial Legion of 14,000 to destroy the province.
On the 16th day of this month, the Imperial Legion in Odenburg crushed the rebellion without any casualties. Rumours suggest that the small band of rebels there surrendered upon sighting the Legion. The road between here and that sorry province is now lined with rebel heads.

November

On the first day of this month, His Grace opened the Imperial treasury, and again financed an 'aid package' for merchants here in the eternal city. We also recieved news that the construction of a trading post in Seminole had been completed successfully.
On the eighth day of this month, the Legion in Moldavia defeated a small band of 1000 new recruits, with minimal casualties. The siege in that province continues.

December

On the second day of this month, the survivers from the last battle in Moldavia, launched a terror attack against the peaceful people of Ruthenia. His Grace did nothing to counter further attacks.
We also recieved news today that the Moldavian 'ruler' had dispatched a peace treaty to Venice...Demanding we pay reparations!!! Many people suggest that the Doge may have been right about this plague.
On the fifth day of this month, His Grace opened the Imperial coffers, and financed another new world expedition, this time to establish a trading post in Massachussets.

*OOC* my reign lasted about two years, so I'll post the second year in about 15 mins.

Last edited:
Further extracts from 'The Venitian Chronicles'

January

On the first day of this month, and of this year, people throughout the empire feared a general rebellion, as the populace of both Maros and Lombardia rose in revolt. His grace immediately sent troops to suppress the rebellions.
On the fifteenth day of this month, one of our Legions crushed the rebellion in Maros.
On the twenty first day of this month, the rebellion in Lombardia was crushed.

February

Little of note happened this month...it has been cut. Prof. J

March

On the first day of this month, His Grace financed yet another aid package to the merchant here in the eternal city. Several senators talk about the 'squandering of public money'.
On the twenty seventh day of this month, we recieved news that the construction of a trading post in Massachussets had failed, due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. The MLA (Moldavian Liberation Army) launched a terror attack on Transylvania. His Grace still did not counter them. His Grace also opened the Imperial coffers to finance the establishment of a new series of courthouses in Piemonte province.

April

On the second day of this month, His Grace financed another new world expedition, this time to Bayou.

May

On the second day of this month, a 'misunderstanding' erupted into violence in Krain province.
On the twenty sixth day of this month, there was no misunderstanding between the rebels and the Imperial legion in the province.

June

On the first day of this month, Frenchmen, fleeing persecution, arrived in Piemonte. However, they sought only to cause chaos, and were slau...'policed' by the Legion in the province.

July

On the first day of this month, His Grace financed an expansion of the Curacao colony in the new world.
On the twenty second day of this month, the Legion in Moldavia finally broke into the capital city. The former ruler grudgingly signed a treaty of Vassalisation, Military access, and Bankruptcy. The empire continues to expand.

August

On the twenty first day of this month, the building of a trading post in Bayou was completed successfully.

September

On the first day of this month, Sweden converted officially to heresy. His Grace, along with all true believers across Europe, cast out the Swedes, cancelling all treaties.
On the eighteenth day of this month, the Venitian inquistion declared it had finished it's work on the island of Corfu.

October

On the third day of this month, His Grace sealed a new trade agreement, this time with the island nation of England. His Grace also financed a colonial expedition to the islands of the Bahamas.

November

On the second day of this month, His Grace authorised the issue of new weapons to the Legions. A small increase in efficiency during training has been noted.

December

On the first day of this month, the entire province of Piemonte revolted, declaring their wish to leave the Empire. The legion posted there defeated some rebels in pitched battle, but found to thier horror that the Cities and towns of the province were also in rebellion. His Grace declared a 'lockdown' on the province, issuing orders for anybody attempting to enter or leave to be shot. Also today, we recived news that Prussia had joined its Swedish neighbours in becoming heretics.
On the fourteenth day of this month, we recieved news that our neighbours to the east, Lithuania, had annexed the small nation of the Ukraine.
On the thirtieth day of this month, the ambassador from Kleves failed to attend the annual end of year party. His Grace was most upset, and the other ambassadors declared that this was a just cause for war. We doubt his grace was quite that upset. Today, we also recieved news that the colony in Curacao had been again expanded. His Grace decreed that as a new year celebration, the colony would now be reffered to as a city.

January

On the fist day of this month, a tradition seems to have become started...the annual start of year rebellion. This year, Pest revolted. A 14,000 strong legion was sent to join in the festivities. His Grace also financed another trading expedition to Bayou.
On the Second day of this month, His Grace authorised the construction of a new fort round the city of Curacao.

February

On the first day of this month, the festivities in Pest drew to a close, with a victory for the legion.

March

This month has been cut. Prof. J.

April

On the first day of this month, we recieved news of the successful colonisation of the Bahamas.

May

On the first day of this month, a rebellion broke out in Bosnia.
On the seventh day of this month, His Grace, Antonio Grimani, Doge of the Empire of Venice, died peacfully from a crossbow bolt in the neck.

*OOC* and there we go. My second reign done.

Good stuff Timmy. I love that closing line...
...died peacefully from a crossbow bolt in the neck
Doesn't sound like all that serene a way to go. :D

Originally posted by MrT
Good stuff Timmy. I love that closing line...
Doesn't sound like all that serene a way to go. :D

Not by our oh so optimistic modern standards maybe, but by Venitian standards....:D

:D

the ever so popular X-bow bolt....:D

Nice one

Thats what I love to see. Blood and violence beggetting more blood and violence, even though it resulted in a peaceful crossbow bolt to the neck. Maybe next time it will be more violent and involve a drive-by-shooting, involving primitive firearms... :D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure that is a peaceful death, at least the crossbow bolt went in clean and killed quickly as opposed to other forms of death we could find in these pages...

Originally posted by Stroph1
quote:

Sure that is a peaceful death, at least the crossbow bolt went in clean and killed quickly as opposed to other forms of death we could find in these pages...

True, we on the A-Team seem to be really hard on our Doges. They're always getting assassinated and whatnot. You'd think some people hated our methods of rule. ;)

How did they die?

After the comments on how hard we are on our doges, I'd like to point out that we are probably running significantly behind RL reasons for their mortality...
Code:
Tommaso Mocenigo - Died April 4, 1423 - plunged to death from balcony
Francesco Foscarini - Died Oct. 23, 1457 - pickled
Pasquale Malipiero - Died May 12, 1462 - took a [i]really short[/i] gondola ride
Cristoforo Moro - Died Nov. 2, 1471 - uncertain...possibly failed exams?
Nicolò Tron - Died July 28 1473 - drowned in bathtub (suggestions he was helped)
Nicolò Marcello - Died Dec. 1, 1474 - illness
Pietro Mocenigo - SURVIVED! Feb. 23, 1476 - stepped down from office!!!!
Andrea Vendamin - Died May 6, 1478 - died peacefully...exact reason unknown...
Giovanni Mocenigo - Died Nov. 14, 1485 - shot by rebel archer in Dobrudja
Marco Barbango -  Died Aug. 14, 1486 - stabbed twelve times over breakfast
Agostino Barbango - Died Sept. 20, 1501 - lung cancer. although also beset with a host of ailments
Leonardo Loredano - Died June 22, 1521 - old age...at peace with his name
Antonio Grimani - Died May 7, 1523 - peacefully of a crossbow bolt through the neck.
In short, only 4 of 13 doges were directly assassinated, with suggestions that another 2 were probably killed. That's less than 50%...hardly anything to get up in arms about. :D