• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice to see that the Empire of Venice has not been abandoned to the ashbin of history. Keep it going! And crush those damn Spanish by the way, Im still bitter a about that entire assassination thing :)

BTW, if this continues, you may have to find someoen else to take my next reign. I'm over here in Irleand and have no way to hook my laptop up to the internet

January 8th, 1574 - Paris

Paris in the winter is not an especially good place to do long soul searching walks. Well, in reality its not a good time or place to walks of any kind. Nevertheless, sometimes one had to sacrifice for ones nation, personal gain, and survival. At least, thats what I told myself over and over again as I staggered down the icy walkways of the city of lights.

On any normal night, I would have simply told the messenger to go and bother some other spy at well after midnight, or perhaps just shot him. However, the message tonight had been something unexpected, and would have ramifications. Those god damn spaniards, may they all rot in hell. It was their fault I wa out here at all, traipsing through this disgusting white powder.

Despite my personal reservations, I had to reach my courier, what I had learned was too important to keep me in my warm bed tonight, with my even warmer company. Spain was moving against us! That single sentance had sent me shooting out of bed, and 5 minutes later had me bundled up and almost running toward the small warehouse on the bank of the river where the courier was awaiting me.

Half an hour, and countless curses and imprecations about the lineage of the spanish royalty I reached the small dark building. I slowed my pace, coming to a halt in front of the main door to the building. "Let me in Luigi, it's too cold out here to argue." I hissed as I knocked on the door.

"Yes yes, I'm coming already." Luigi said. I heard the various clicking and metal noises that signified several locks being bypassed. He yanked open the door, and blissfully warm air flowed out. "Well get inside already!" He said, grabbing my arm. "Like you said, its cold out there."

He passed me a steaming cup of something, at this point I couldn't taste it, but was heartened by the internal warmth it produced. "Luigi." I finally managed. "I hate to do this, but I need you on the road, tonight."

"Tonight? Are you mad?" You know how it is out there. I can't possibly..." He babbled until I cut him off.

"Luigi. They've done it." I said, setting my drink down and moving to the map he had tacked on his wall." I pointed at the Carribean.

"What?" He said confused, and spun to see my figure stab at the warm sea that held many of our richest colonies.

"The Spanish have dispatched troops, and a fleet to occupy several of our colonies on the grounds that the land is theirs by right."

"Thats outrageous, it will be war?!" He nearly shouted, then quieted himself, gradually, the professional Luigi I needed was coming to the fore.

"No, actually I doubt it will. Though it is a possibility. More likely you and I wil simply get busier and busier."

"I see." He noded. "Do you know how many? Or where?" He asked.

"Yes, here." I said, and handed him a sealed missive. "Take that to Mocenigo."

"I will." He said, and embraced me. "Watch your back my friend."

"God speed." I said.