• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great job Car, you managed to end the war which I never could. 5 years, FIVE YEARS of War with the Aztec, good lord. You also finished the Everglades colony which had been the dream of my old doge Grimani ;) Your reign was about as uneventful as I had hoped mine would be, and so good job. Great to see things wrapped up and the Aztec war brought to a successful conclusion. Bad luck about those serated coins though, but it could have happened to anybody :p

Bump! A post will fill this spot tonight, I swear by the ghosts of all the doges before me!

Sorry guys, you caught me at a bad time here, end of a quarter. I'm staggering on as quick as possible though.

RJ

Hey, don't worry, its not like your the only one managing to push through a college finals time along with the holidays. I'm sure we all understand :) I'm enjoyign your writting BTW.

All Glory to Venice...for now

September 10th, 1570 - Palace of Doges (a formal dinner celebration thrown by the Mocenigo)

"And so, on this great day we are here to celebrate!" The doge exclaimed, lifting his wineglass in a salute. "To the union of the duchy of Wallachia to the Imperial Republic of Venice!" The assembled crowd of dignitaries, nobles, and the well to do broke into cheers. The Doge lifted his hands, hushing the crowd, albeit barely. "Let us not forget our deal Moldovian neighbors, who have grown even closer to us in the stupendous event!" The noise from the crowd swelled up again. If there was one thing Mocenigo had, I reflected, it was that he could really get a crowd going. Still, the Moldovian prince standing next to him had to know he was next. Though, with the amount the Republic was pouring into his pocket it was doubtful he would notice. "And now." The Doge said, with a grandiose gesture. "Let the celebration commence!"

I swirled the wine in my glass, not a bad vintage. Sadly I had a great deal too much business to enact at this fete to be able to enjoy it. "Signore." I heard from behind me, I turned, and my eyes narrowed. It was the spanish ambassador, who's name couldn't get past my lips for fear I would choke on it. "I wondered if I might have a moment of your time." He said, taking my arm in a disgustingly languid grip.

"Of course." I grated, allowing myself the pose of anger. "What can I do for you my lord ambassador?" I questioned him, bowing slightly, but not too deeply, as to make him think I would obey any order.

"I was wondering if perhaps you would care to dine with me on the morrow?" This statement was made with a smile, though it oozed politeness.

"I am sorry my lord, I am afraid I have already made a prior engagement." I said recklessly, knowing that my open refusal would hav repercussions. Then again, if this fat idio new too approach me, he already knew I was an agent, so the point was moot.

"Ah, that is a shame." He said, and bowed. "Another time." He said airily and walked, or perhaps, jiggled away. I watched him go, studying the dangeroud and cunning man, not the man he pretended to be quote well.

"This one will be dangerous." I whispered to myself, fingering the stilleto hidden in my formal wear. Knowing that I had been, revealed, so to say, by the ambassador, I knew it was time for me to leave the party. As I drifted through the ballroom, snippets of conversation floated past me.

"Your kidding." One loud voiced man said to his far more lucid companion. "He's appointed a lawmaker to the city of sin? WHat'll he do there?" The man laughed uproriously. His friend nodded, or appeared too, he was also quite intoxicated.

"I heard that the mistress the Doge sent to the Serbian king turned out to be a bitch." One rather evil looking elderly lady said. "Thats why the relations have frozen." She said rather gleafully. "Or at least thats wht I heard."

"Indeed, I heard that their waiting for winter for their uprising." A middle aged banker said confidently to a younger man, obviously trying to curry favor.

"Really?" The younger man said, not as curious as he sounded.

"Yes. Come the snows Spain will have internal strife again." The banker said stodgily.

"Ill drink to that." The young man said, and did.

Then I was out of the ballroom, walking down the hall. I knew I would be called on by those not of the gentlemanly persuasion tonight, but I doubt they knew how ready I would be for them. I chuckled to myself as my plm warmed the handle of my pistol. "Ley them see, I am no easy meat." I thought to myself.

Update!!!

There will be not one, but multiple updates tonight, sorry for the wait guys, I'm within one week fo finishing this quarter so I've been swamped with the "fun: we all know comes at the end of one of those things.

RJ

January 14th, 1571 - Genoa

The acrid smoke of gunpowder swept up through the alley. "I do wonder sometimes." I whispered. Quickly searching the body, I came up with the usual, assorted Venetian currency, a pair of knives, no way to identify him at all.

"Down that alley! Thats where it came from!" I cursed softly, and slipped back into the shadows, heading out the other end of the narrow cobble passage.

"Another night in Venice." I said softly.

My fingers traced the scar on my arm where the bullet had grazed me. "I have too many of these." I mused solemnly. "One of these days it'll be a few inches over, and Ill be in real trouble." I set my elbows on the railing of the balcony, a glass in one hand, a sheaf of papers in the other. "Interesting, the new year has come, and gone I suppose, and nothings changed." I said reflectively.

"I really don't like Genoa, though I suppose that no good Venetian does, province or not. Still, I wonder what the Genovese think, since they are under Venetian rule and law." I said to myself, and chuckled.

"Are you talking to yourself again?" Came a melodic, and familiar voice.

"No Lucianna, never." I said innocently.

"Of course not, what was I thinking." Lucianna said as she came out onto the balcony, her robe open enough to distract, but not quite so provacative as to make me lose my train of thought. "Does the Doge know what he's doing?" She asked.

"That depends, I think he's hoping to avoid the war all together. All the money and favors he's throwing around, to Moldovia, Croatia, even to France, though they happen to be necessary. " I said, running a hand through my hair. "He's even expanding the colonies in New Venice. What were those names?"

"Roanoke, and Semina?" She said, trailing off slightly. "No, Seminole." She corrected herself, and smiled brightly, slipping a smooth arm around my waist. "I have to wonder though, Mocenigo's decision to increase the research money over ducats straight to the purse has me worried."

"Be careful." I gently ribbed her. "One of these days you'll slip and all of those men you have tied around your little finger will come free once they realize your smarter than them."

"What you included?" She teased, smiling brightlym it was a staggering smile, and my resistance began to melt.

"Of course, what with things in the north heating up and cooling down every other minutes." I shrugged. "There's independance movements, peace treaties and declarations of war."

"What are you saying." She said, stepping back, putting her hands on her hips.

"Nothing, nothing at all." I said, drawing her back into the room. "Not tonight anyway."

ohhh...

Don't stop now! :(

Its not fair to keep me on the edge of my seat like that!

Well, I kind of expected the next author to pick this up as I suggested in the taunt thread actually. But since no one did I guess Ill continue now that I'm back at school and in possession of my notes.

New post from me tommorow, aiming at one every other day til I finish this up.

RJ

October 5th, 1571 - Venice, the docks

"Really?"

"Yes."

"How can you prove it. Oh, I see."

"These are completely legitimate by the way."

"I wouldn't think of questioning you."

"Of course not."

"But even so, thats a lot of ships."

"If you'll read the itinerary you'll see..."

"Ahh, yes, I understand now."

"I thought you might."

"A pleasure doing business with you."

"Feel free to call on me if you ever have any more business."

"Ill do so."

I cursed as the two seperated, now I was going to have to gifure out a way to get out of my fairly precarious position, and do it quietly enough that I could follow the dockmaster without letting everyone know for miles around. A few minutes later, finally free, I listened for a moment, then set off after my quarry.

His shoes made a clacking noise, as the official hurried down the street, apparently he was anxious someone might notice, or worse, recognize him. "Too late you traitor, you were recognized long before this." I whispered to the wind as I closed with him, my soft shoes making little noise, certainly nothing that could be heard over the normal noises of the city.

I could see him now, I was moving quickly. Not running, but almost trotting. The loose dark clothes I wore didn't hamper me like the tighter more formal clothes the dockmaster was wearing. "He must have escaped from a dinner party early. No matter, I've almost got him."

About fifteen feet behind him, still the man didn't notice. He must really be in his own world to not notice the slight, but noticable reaction the few passerbyes out at this hour had to my obvious persuit of him. I pulled my pistol out with my free hand, the other dipped into my haversack, and closed comfortably around the writ of authority I had from a certain Mocenigo.

Just a few feet away now, I halted advance, planting my feet in a pen position. "Excuse me." I said, the greeting cutting across the distance between us. He noticeably flinched, then stopped and turned.

"Can I help you good sir?" He asked, sweat beading on his forehead. "I'm afraid were past normal hours of dock operation, but I'm certain that I..."

I interrupted him with a wave of my writ. "By order of the Doge of Venice you are under arrest." I stepped forward, and he flinched again.

His eyes darted around, seeing no one but me, he licked his lips. "Are you sure you have the right man good sir? I am the dockmaster of the great dock itself?"

"I know who you are."

"Then perhaps you were not aware of this." He said, reaching into his coat. His pudgy had grasping for something.

"That had better be a document of somekind." I grated as my pistol came up, the barrel dead level with his chest. It was a good pistol, well made, but not fancy. The man stared at it as if it were a living thing. I waved it once or twice to make him twitch. "Now take out what you were reaching for, slowly." I said.

His hand slowly came out, holding another firearm, of much smaller design, and far lower quality.

I shook my head sadly. "You should have known better than to take a bribe. Now come along, you'll tell me all about the spanish plan for the new son of the Doge."

*dances around because of joy*

At last this update has been long underway

but its good nevertheless

March 10th, 1572 - Sicily

Had I been looking at the countryside, its entirely possible I might hae described it as scenic, pictaresque, beauteous. However, I was not looking at the scenery. Instead I was running for my life. Well, that was an overstatement. My horse was running, I was just hangin on for dear life. The green of the island whipped by me, blurring as my head stayed close to my horses mane.

I heard the sharp crack of my persuers behind me as they attempted to knock me out of my saddle. Thankfully, either luck was with me, or they were just bad shots, as a few minutes later, I reached the villa I wa staying in without harm. As my horse cantered up, drenched in sweat my men reacted with practiced efficiency. I was pulled off the horse, and the gate was barred behind me.

A few minutes later, as I was hurridly seperating s small stack of documents I heard the sound of gunfire. Their here. I thought. I only have a few moments, this is going to have to be done right. Into one stack went papers for my superior and into the other, a set of false documents I had gone to great lengths to make sure apeared both authentic, and from my performance today, very valuable.

"Antonio!" I yelled.

"Yes sir?" The short man said as he came in, he had a pistol in one hand, and another a his waist.

"Get these to him. I have to be taken for these to be seen as legitimate."

"No sir, you can't!" He protested.

"Ill be fine. Just get it done."I held out my hand, and he shookit firmly. Then he left, shaking his head at me as he went.

"Now to be caught." I said to myself, stuffing the fake papers into the satchel on my desk. The fools, the Doges plan continues on schedule. Only Serbia is now independant in the east, and they will join the empire soon enough.

Taking a deep breath I stepped out into the hall, and raised my hands above my head. My only response to the armed men was a slight smile, which vanished in a second.

November 17th, 1572 - Rome (renovated quarter)

"Their really making progress on this." Raphael said, breathing in deeply. "The place even smells better."

"The place is a backwater. I don't care how man people it has." I replied, looking around hautily.

"Your just irritable because that young lady didn't respond to your advances, which I might add, were well below your normal abilities. Something on your mind?" He asked innocently.

Oh you'd like it if I told you, you crusader types are all the same. So focused on the holy land. You don't understand how much of a threat Spain is to us. "Oh, I'm fine, really. Just adjusting to a new city and all." I said, polishing a ring on my coat. "You know how it is."

We turned a corner and came o our destination, the government building here in the reconstructed quarter of Rome, re-built since Venetian rule anyway. "Well, this is where we part ways old boy." He said, and jauntily waved to me as a smilingly muttered about his relatives ancestry under my breath. Then he vanished into the east wing, a section of the office I had never been.

Sighing, I nodded to the guard at the entrance to the western wing, where I was supposed to meet an old friend. It was odd, acting the part of a government agent, though, not unfamiliar. However, my desk job was mostly out of deference to the commendations I had gotten for that mess in sicily. I hate this job, why can't I get back out there into the field. Ever since the damn council of ten put their foot down to Mocenigo and took away a chunk of his power base we've shifted foreign policy in some idiotic directions.

"Good morning sir." Luigi said. Luigi was an excellent organizer and secretary, but, he gossiped, so sadly, I couldn't share much with him.

"Is he inside?" I asked, taking the proferred glass of water.

"Yes sir, he arrived about 5 minutes ago."

"Excellent. Thank you Luigi." I nodded, and pulled open my door. "Tomas, my old friend, good to see you." I exclaimed as the tall, distinguished looking man waiting for me in my office turned around.

"It's great to see you as well my friend. Ah forgive me, I just got in from Constantople, the reconstruction of some of the older quarters was keeping me very busy." Tomas was an architect and boyhood friend, he was currently helping to design the new public buildings that would be built in Constantinople and Anatolia, partially to help strengthen the power of Venice there, and partially because the Mayors of the respective towns were well connected.

"Of course, sit down, sit down." I responded, grabbing a chair from against the wall. Greatfully he sat, and I did the same. "So, tell me, what do you hear in the great city of the east these days?"

"Oh many things. Something is happening in India thats so massive we heard of it even here, there leader Akbar I think his name is, is up to something. It's not clear what though, I heard everything from invading China to abdicating his position." He laughed.

"No one in power ever gives it up." I quipped. "Any good Venetian can tell you that. Still, thats interesting, anything else?"

"Well, nothing much, I suppose you can't confirm the rumors about Serbia can you?"

"Sorry, I can't say anything except...perhaps that we out relations with them are going to be improving to the point of a formal alliance after the Doge's niece marry's into the family."

"Ah, I see. We'll, in that case I won't tell you that I'm starving and we should go get some lunch." He stood, and bowed mockingly.

"You fool, lets." I agreed, and stood as well. Chuckling, we left the room.

April 18th, 1573 - Mantua

The rain pounded down on the roof of the hall. And occasionally the thunder made all the windows in the damn place shake. Needless to say, it was starting to get on my nerves. "Is this really the best place we could find?" I asked irritably.

"Shut up." Mocenigo said. "I don't pay you to critique my choice of meeting places, and I sure as hell don't pay yuor for your opinion."

"Then why do..." I started, but he cut me off.

"I pay you because you get the job done. Now listen." He waved his hand at the map. "What do you see?"

I glanced over the map. It was just a normal map, it showed the great empires, the smaller nations, as much of the world as we could map accurately. "It's just a map." I said, a bit defensively.

"Just a map." He muttered. "Idiot. Look closer, do you see the political situation right there in front of us?" He pointed to Austria. "This dangerous enemy sits on our border. Made all the worse by the memory of what has passed between us before." He pointed at Spain. "And here, they potentially block all access to our colonies, and form a wall to the west, like Austria does to the north."

"I know my lord, anyone of any intelligence knows that we are naturally inclined against the Spanish, expecially given their actions against us on a more, subtle level. That is why we allied ourselves with France, to counter Spain."

"Yes, France. Which is facing a fair amount of civil unrest at the moment, with the rebellion in Helvetia, and the English taking more possessions from the natives near new venice, added with the recent rejection of the Serbian assembly to come under our wing, our political situation is delicate right now.

That was true, I realized. And it explained alot of the reports that had crossed my desk in Rome. Nations all throughout Europe were jockeying for position in light of the weakness in Western Europe. There had even been uprest in greaer Venice, when the carpenters had demonstrated in front of the Council of Ten. What was worse, I realized, was that our allies weakness was seen as weakness on our part as well. All my thoughts must have been evident on my face, because Mocenigo was smiling grimly at me now.

"I see your as smart as I thought you were." He said, mockingly condescending. "Now tell me, what would you propose? If you had the authority."

"Military demonstrations." I said immediately. "the first thing our neighbors need to know we are not weak. Have the fleet tour the mediterranean, increase the Colonial garrisions. Things of that nature."

"Interesting. You'll be gratified that I agree with you." He paused. "Sadly, the Doge does not. Instead the Army of Genoa is moving into position to assist the French should they need help quelling the revolt in the alps. And, in light of what he referred to as our "Increase in superiority at the art of warfare" He is personally funding an officer training school in this area." Mocenigo, rolled his eyes. "My brother is optimistic."

"You can't be serious, thats inviting disaster! I've seen the reports of the troop movements, the Spanish are up to something, and god knows what the English are doing."

"I couldn't agree more fully. But, my brothers word is law. We obey." He said, firmly. "However, I see no reason why I can't do some things to help him in his aim of aiding our great ally."

"Oh?" I said, putting volumes of meaning into the single, humble word.

"You are going to france, my friend. I want you to do everything in your power to help stabilize the court, and the populace." He winked at me. "Everything."

"Yes, my lord, I understand. Absolutely."