• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All,

I appreciate everyone's patience with me with the delays in updates. I'm expecting the birth of my first born in the coming weeks and between that, closing our year-end work projects, and the holidays things have gotten backed up a bit. I plan to try and get an update out today or tomorrow but just wanted all to be aware that the AAR has not died and is still going strong!

Reactions:
Take all the time you need!

Congratulations!

Reactions:
Excerpt from Kings of Eden by Dr. Louis Montaleux, Professor of History at the University of Jerusalem. (2010)

Fulk II's bold proclamation at St. Pierre in July 1528 that he would take the two most holy cities in the Islamic faith was just another indicator of his loosening grip on fully understanding the reality of the situation but it also presented an all too familiar issue for the Kingdom, dating back to its days as a Monastic Order on Rhodes. The roads from St. Pierre to Jerusalem and eventually Acre remained immensely busy. From St. Pierre came reports of successful raids, new intelligence, and paranoid inquiries from Fulk himself to his Conseil du Roi in Jerusalem who were being kept in the city almost as prisoners. From Acre and Jerusalem to the small outpost in Oultrejordain came hordes of mercenaries purchased on weakening credit from all over Europe and shipped directly to the front.

What this culminated in was a sizable army in the middle of a barren land which turned into a logistical nightmare. In October of 1528 the camel's back finally broke and the nobles of the Kingdom ceased sending shipments of food, crops, and livestock to assist in feeding the army. They invented a litany of reasons for their failures but few, if any, are considered credible. While this doesn't amount to outright rebellion it is a signal to Fulk II (whether he received it or not) that the nobles were unwilling to unabashedly fund and support this war much longer. This lack of food put immense pressure on Fulk II to do something with his army lest it disintegrate from either starvation of food or money. Of no surprise to a modern historian, he waited until the exact worst time to finally march his army, February 1529. Despite Arabia's vast climate stereotype the desert can be an extremely dangerous place in winter and temperatures plummeted at night. On top of this, the Bedouins had departed the area for the winter and thus many had left the army which meant the best scouts of the Kingdom and the only people who truly understood the region were absent from the ensuing campaign.

The initial movement forward took Taima and Tabuk easily enough with minimal resistance and Fulk II split his army into two forces. The majority of the army marched towards Yanbu at the behest of Fulk's chief commanders begging to open a coastal port to have supplies ferried down the coast from Rougeville (Author's Note: Aqaba) while a much smaller force moved onto Medina.

9oKWpyE.jpg

In Egypt the smaller forces continued their excursions along the coast to take territory from the crumbling Mamluk Sultanate but again Fulk II's growing ignorance of warfare showed. He critically failed to move his Egyptian forces down the Gulf of Suez in Egypt and now his forces were stretched so far as to make communication and coordination impossible. This also meant that the Mamluks, who had moved south, were able to continue to send intelligence, forces, and supplies across the Red Sea to Jeddah to bolster their allies. The main army in Yanbu was also feeling the pains of the campaign with the mercenary forces acting on their own to sack villages and towns for their own wealth.

Fulk II's focus on Yanbu left his army in Medina to act as a tempting bait for the bulk of the Mamluk and Hejaz army that had hunkered down in Mecca, expecting a cataclysmic battle at the gates of the great city. Presented with this new opportunity the battle would not be held in Mecca but instead in Medina. The unintended feint worked well and the armies met in Medina in March of 1529.

Y303FC2.jpg

The battle resulted in a loss for Fulk II due in large part to the failure of the mercenary troops to adhere to any sense of coordinated battle plan. Starved and low on morale, the retreating Outremer army took their frustrations out onto the villages and towns in their path back to St. Pierre. Upon their arrival Fulk II was also met with his Conseil du Roi who had traveled there in hopes of convincing their King to cease the war immediately. Fulk II took these pleas for peace as treason and had Lord Chancellor Fouche hung as the chief culprit.

In my final breath I pray for his majesty, the King, to be benevolent, kind, and generous to his people. I have spent my life only dutifully serving his majesty and the Kingdom of Jerusalem and I know God will greet me with open arms. Long live the King and long live Jerusalem! - Lord Chancellor Alexander Fouche's last words before his execution in St. Pierre.

Much to his bipolar nature, he sent eventually took the advice of his advisors and sent envoys to the Mamluks to negotiate a peace in the hopes that it would at least relieve some burden from the Kingdom. His goals of conquering Egypt fell slightly short however and the resulting treaty only brought Rashid, Damietta, as-Suways, and Ras Gareb into Jerusalem's hands. This was not a complete failure however as it meant the acquisition of key ports on the Mediterranean coast and further control of the Red Sea, although this also meant inheriting a people unwilling to bow their knee to their new Christian liege.

pNexuFe.jpg

IRcdF0r.jpg

Bolstered by what he saw as "God's divine grace," Fulk II marched his weakened army again into Arabia. His goal of conquering Mecca was incessant and he spoke constantly on the subject to those around him, although that group was dwindling with his increasing paranoia.

The King is sick in the mind. Tonight he shared with us that our victory in Mecca was all but assured for he was gifted with an invisible token from the Archangel Gabriel that guided his decisions and he had been elevated to the same status as Moses himself, a divine prophet guided by God to do his bidding. I don't think any of us can claim we expect to return alive from this. I have made my peace with God but I fear he will not acknowledge my pleas for forgiveness for we have sinned mightily. - Sir John Edgerton

2qqiDSk.jpg

The army marched deep into Arabia again and this time quickly took Yanbu before finally marching onto Mecca. Fulk again ignored the advice his commanders and left no forces in Yanbu which meant the Hejaz army easily circumvented the army in Mecca to cut off the Outremers in Yanbu, confident in the knowledge that Mecca was well prepared for a siege.

yQzyUJG.jpg

This new development was too much for Fulk II's fragile mental state. He collapsed in his tent outside Mecca when given the news that the superior Hejaz army would soon take Yanbu which would make a defeat in Mecca nearly assured. The remaining members of the Conseil du Roi (Just two: Grand Master Gaston Artois and Grand Chamberlain Friedrich von Ritter) took matters into their own hands. They rode to the Hejaz army with several other Outremer commanders to begin negotiations for peace in early 1530 without Fulk II's knowledge.

What had all the bloodshed (1 in 30 men in the Kingdom had been killed) and financial ruin (the Kingdom was almost drowning in debt from mercenary and interest payments) bought them? The single desolate province of Taima which paled in comparison to the gains in Egypt despite that campaign being the easiest. Despite the outcome of the war, the Conseil du Roi and major nobles of the Kingdom were eager to not tarnish the Kingdom's fledgling reputation or erode the prestige associated with the crown for fear that when Fulk II came to his senses they too would be executed as traitors. This may come as a shock to modern day readers but despite Fulk II's mental state he still carried a vast amount of loyalty out of shared zealousness for the cause. The treaty was carefully communicated to the powers that be in the Kingdom in the best light possible and was predominantly taken as a monumental victory. History would say otherwise but what the Kingdom of Jerusalem understood at the time was that two major regional Muslim powers had been fought to the point that territory was taken and not lost. The real cost of the campaign would reveal itself over the next few decades.

bc5jXPE.jpg

By March of 1530 the mercenary army had been dissolved and peace had returned to Jerusalem. Fulk II marched into Jerusalem to cheering crowds with plans to erect a costly Triumphal Arch, in homage to the Romans of the past. But the Kingdom would not be spared from their mad King for long.

Reactions:
The ambition of Fulk II could be our undoing. The Turk surely smells blood!

The ambition of Fulk II could be our undoing. The Turk surely smells blood!

The Turk definitely smells blood although it's hard to tell where he smells it most, us or the crumbling Mamluks.

Be careful of rebels

You have no idea...

Nice to see some progress in this update :) Keep it going!

Thanks! Trying to get back into a schedule for them.

Also, no one has inquired but the story of Guy L'Auxden is not yet over!

Reactions:
Indeed a great victory!

And the 10 years manpower boost is surely a great gift - the manpower is almost depleted.

Next stop, Alexandria! Or to the rise of a colonial empire in Africa...

Reactions:
Update: Sorry for the loooooong absence from an update. My wife and I had our first son born a bit early and so we've been adjusting to the new rhythm of things in the house. Fear not loyal readers! Your tardy author is working on an update today and tomorrow to post and the AAR is still full steam ahead!

As a small token of my apologies here's a little teaser from 1565 showing an epic Religious War in Europe and keen eyes will note a Reformed Great Britain!

YKVHddT.jpg

Edit: Forgot the teaser!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Congrats on the baby! That's awesome. You can keep your new son company while you show him the ins and outs of global dominance with M&T on EUIV! :D

Looking good. I don't envy the lack of sleep mate!

Excerpt from Kings of Eden by Dr. Louis Montaleux, Professor of History at the University of Jerusalem. (2010)

With the coming of the Spring of 1530 came the blooming of the Kingdom’s debts and the worsening of Fulk II’s mental state. Plagued by paranoia and a crippling inferiority complex he began to insulate himself with sycophants eager to please and be rewarded for their misguided devotions. This particular cabal was lead primarily by Chief Inquisitor Nikola Branivojevic. The more moderate power brokers of the Kingdom, unwilling to gamble with their lives in the increasingly dangerous court, sequestered themselves in their keeps. The result was a mixed bag of success. On one hand the feudal lords of the Kingdom began to truly cultivate their fiefdoms in both culture and industry, reinforcing the growing Levantine culture as a distinct Francophone identity with heavy Western European aesthetic influences. On the other hand, devoid of naysayers, Fulk II was free to have his outlier thoughts go unchecked.

In April of 1530 he ordered the demolition of the historic Hospitaller Citadel in Rhodes and removal of the majority of the forces garrisoned there. Much of the materials were transported to Acre to be used for improvements there but an equal amount was left in Rhodes where the local populace expanded their dockyards. In May of 1530 Fulk II was forced to sell a large portion of the Kingdom’s cannons to make interest payments on the loans secured from the Medici banks of Italy.

2En1IPq.jpg

mmgx2hI.jpg

By the summer of 1530 the close advisors of the King had firmly rooted their grips over the general administration of the Kingdom and with that came an influx of new ideas without being vetted by veteran advisors. Some of these advancements were remarkable for the time (increasing centralization of the government in administrative affairs to improve record keeping) while some were short-lived for good reason (the Fish Tax that lasted a few weeks taxing fishermen on their daily catch which resulted in much of the collected fish spoiling as it sat unused).

UX3IfJ2.jpg

Throughout the course of 1530 the concept of centralizing the government increased with every passed edict or newly appointed office. Within the tight confines in the heart of the Kingdom this movement went without reaction but the Kingdom’s ruling style quickly clashed with the residents of its newly acquired Egyptian territories who longed for a return of traditional Mameluk governance. To add further strain, the ruthless Branivojevic was raising the ire of Sunnis in the Kingdom and his fervent quest for conversion was ignoring a growing threat of Waldensian heretics. By the end of 1530 the Kingdom was making significant strides towards fully incorporating their new conquests, uprisings be damned.

wnFnuKh.jpg

lOUpRCY.jpg

To the North the Ottomans continued the sabre rattling by turning their thirsty eyes towards Aq Qoyunlu which had been wracked by internal turmoil for some time. Their quick and efficient dismantling sent shivers of fear and concern throughout the Kingdom. In response Fulk II ordered forces to be deployed to the northern borders in a clearly antagonizing action. Thankfully the northern lords refused to accommodate this request quietly and falsified reports to be sent back to Jerusalem. So deep was the King’s ill mental state that on several occasions he decreed a declaration of war against the Ottomans only to awake and change his mind, requiring riders to quickly intercept the original order. The only voice of reason during this time seemed to be Grand Master Gaston Artois who held the loyalty of a significant number of lords, many of whom lost men during the Pyrrhic war with Hejaz.

Your Majesty’s request for further military actions against the Turks comes as a shock to me. The farm is barren. The cows have been slaughtered before birthing calves to replenish the herd and the streams have run dry. We, your faithful and ever loyal subjects, bleed daily for the lands our fathers fought for but we have run out of blood to spend. I beg your majesty to reconsider this course of action. If we seek battle with the Turks today we will all certainly hang from the gallows of our ambitions and only the birds picking amongst our remains will sing out our stories to the silence of the sands. – Grand Master Gaston Artois

E5pAeWw.jpg

In 1531 the long and terrible campaigns of Nikola Branivojevic came to an end when he passed away in Jerusalem but he had sown the seeds of prejudice that would continue to grow for generations. Despite an attempt by modern historians to exile Branivojevic as a madman without merits, he did have a few. His administration of the Inquisition in Jerusalem would form the basis of later administration across the Kingdom. There is no debate that he oversaw a reign of terror but there is also no debate that it was a frighteningly efficient reign.

EogoVpy.jpg

XZr5U90.jpg

In a similar stroke of good luck 1532 saw the final end of Fulk II’s reign. The King had suffered from an illness for several days and his mad ramblings continued until the end. His death was recorded by one of his squires who records one of the most interesting stories of the Anjou Dynasty.

In the final days of his majesty’s life he spewed out the most violent words I have ever heard. He accused the Queen of witchcraft and had her immediately seized and placed under arrest. We made the decision to not let his children enter his bedchambers for fear that he would order their death. He damned his subjects to hell and proclaimed that his death would usher in the second coming. When the Latin Patriarch had been called to the bedside to perform the last rites his majesty spit upon him and declared him the antichrist. Despite his sickness he still held incredible strength and was restrained after attempting to stab an attendant.

On the morning of the last day before his death the room was nearly empty. He stared out the window into the distance in silence interrupted by moments of screams of agony and pain as if he was being torn to pieces from the inside.

In his final minutes he only spoke twice. Once asking for more wine and then his last words: Send for Fouche…only he can help…I am lost. – Pierre Vassoile

On July 16th, 1532 Fulk II passed away and a Regency Council was established with Grand Master Gaston Artois serving as Regent for Fulk II’s 10 year old son Baldwin VI and so the Regency was ushered in.

bpNYDjU.jpg

Reactions:
I'm hoping Baldwin will take Lazerius as his Regal name.

Welcome back!

The regency for Baldwin VI was one of inner struggle for Jerusalem. Fulk II had sent the entire Kingdom into a state of almost complete disarray. The nobility had become embittered from the abuses they had suffered, the people themselves were still recovering from the substantial loss of life during the recent war, and the newly acquired territories from that war continued to serve as a thorn in the side of the regency council. The council itself was divided into two distinct schools of thought. The aging Grand Master Gaston Artois led the Essentialists who were seeking to focus on addressing the internal struggles of the Kingdom while the Diplomats, led by Count Arenberg, sought to shift the Kingdom's priorities to European conflicts out of concern that the Kingdom was becoming a forgotten participant in the affairs of the Western world.

The argument for the Essentialists gained weight in June of 1533 when Mamlukean separatists rose up in rebellion in the Egyptian territories. Unable to respond quickly, they quickly overran the garrisons and overtook the critical juncture where the Sinai peninsula connected with Egypt. The paltry forces that were hastily assembled and marched to meet the threat suffered significant casualties before forcing the separatists to retire from the field of battle. Their retreat however was covered from poor weather and the Kingdom's forces found themselves unable to pursue. The retreating separatists, led by Jarbulat Bay, scattered but many of the leaders traveled to the tumultuous province of Taima where they again stoked the fires of separatism and agitated for an uprising.

oi16oBc.jpg

The Kingdom's forces were ill-supplied and ill-trained for the task at hand of putting down the rebellion and suffered from continued attrition as soldiers were ambushed regularly and locals poisoned wells, destroyed food supplies, and hid collaborators. In the fall of the very same year came another shock to the country when Jarbulat Bay raised a second uprising in Taima. This time his forces quickly took several key forts and the integral arms supplied there.

dYtrqOs.jpg

Unable to put down the Egyptian revolt and deal with the matter in Taima, the Kingdom's forces focused on Egypt for the time being while the nobles of Oultrejordain, hardened from years as the Kingdom's border with the Hejaz, gave notices to Grand Master Artois that while they could not enter Taima to provide aid they were completely able to stop the uprising from spreading north from their forts and keeps.

By May of 1534 the army had quelled the rebelling provinces along the Red Sea coast but trouble was brewing in Rashid where clerics had called for a Jihad to retake their lands from the invading infidels. The seeds of the pogroms from the Inquisition had come to fruition in the worst ways when Sunni rebels rose up and took Rashid. On the first days of occupation they had twenty Catholic clerics hung from the church steeples and sacked the offices where the notorious practices of the Inquisition had occurred. Again, the army marched further in Egypt to address this new threat but the campaign to put down the previous revolt had sapped them of both men and energy. The exhausted, malnourished, and poorly trained army marched to meet the Sunni army but was turned back after a calamitous defeat, resulting in a retreat back into the Levant.

ms4qZH4.jpg

Unable to deal with the Kingdom's struggles with the army at hand, Grand Master Artois went back to the Kingdom's financial benefactors, the Medicis. Using the Kingdom's possessions in the Adriatic, long forgotten and almost an autonomous region, as collateral they secured loans to finance several mercenaries who promptly marched into Taima first to put down Jarbulat Bay's army. In an effort to sow some fashion of peace in a land of such mixed religions, races, and ethnic backgrounds Artois pardoned the vast majority of the commoners in Jarbulat's army on the condition that they swear allegiance to the crown and be resettled in Oultrejordain. For the leaders and chief collaborators, they faced trials of treason in Jerusalem and all thirty were found guilty. Ten of those found guilty were sentenced to imprisonment for life in the infamous Citadel of Acre while the remaining twenty were hung, save for Jarbulat Bay who was whipped, locked in the stocks for a week, and then quartered.

The mercenary army then moved into Rashid and finally put down the Sunni rebellion. Many of the common followers deserted before the battle and the majority who stayed were cut down in battle. The remaining zealots were walked to Jerusalem for trial but none survived the journey. Regardless, they were all still tried and found guilty which meant their bodies were not returned to families for burial and were instead tossed into the Red Sea.

AnkBqge.jpg

By 1536 the Kingdom seemed to be recovering from its internal strife but good news was not around the corner. In June of 1536 word reached Jerusalem that the Ottomans had declared war on the Mamluks and the Kingdom's own agents in Rhodes and those in Cyprus reported that the Turkish fleet had set sail from Constantinople. The news traveled fast in the capital with silent panic following it. Many nobles sent their families to Rhodes, Cyprus, or Ragusa along with some of their prized possessions in anticipation that the Mamluk war was a ruse to march through Jerusalem and take that too. Artois knew that the forces of the Kingdom were in no state for a defense and made private preparations to destroy the capital in the event of a marching enemy force.

tF2bomx.jpg

Surprisingly to the Kingdom no such force arrived and the months passed peacefully but cautiously until February 16th, 1537 when Baldwin VI reached the appropriate age and was crowned in Jerusalem. Despite no real gains during the regency one goal of the Diplomats did come to light upon Baldwin VI's coronation when he was wed to one of the King of Spain's daughters shortly afterwards thus forming a significant royal marriage with Spain and securing a much needed ally for the years to come.

wx6zh3J.jpg

Reactions:
Our position is quite precarious.

However distant Europe might be, our focus should be on capitalising on our Mamluke, Arabian and Ottoman neighbours misfortune. Although the rebellions show that we need to rebuild, I feel we need to keep growing into Egypt at the Mamluke's expense.

European support and alliances are mainly for deterring attacks. Aside from the Naval powers, I don't see much support materialising against our immediate neighbours from the Kings of Europe should that happen.

Reactions: