• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stalwart Defender will make Factions even more easy to White Peace with the +10 Peace Acceptance.
Also no downsides to having it.

It feels like the implied strategy of mystical ancestors is to grant lands to distant relatives, wait for them to form a cadet branch, revoke the titles (you no longer lose anything because they are a separate house), and repeat. It feels odd that the mechanics are a mix of house and dynasty. If the important thing is descent from a mystical ancestor, shouldn't it all be based on dynasty?

Reactions:
Divergence covers most of it, but it's possible we might see events that relate to replacing "no longer relevant" traditions.

An alternative would be to be able to rename the culture you're leaving (say to "Old Scanian") and create "Scanian" with the replaced tradition as a divergence.

There is though the problem with changing an existing culture that you're changing it for *everyone* not just your realm, so Scanians who could use the "By The Sword" tradition might get annoyed if they lost it to you changing the culture like that.

I suppose divergence could indeed cover it. But it's just a bit of an awkward situation that you have to create a completely separate culture for changing a single tradition.
To then end up completely replacing the old one with your new one anyway. Surely the more elegant game mechanic is to allow swapping existing traditions for others

The naming could of course be done similar to the pagan reformation faiths but I myself consider putting old in front of the old one not quite fitting either. Sure from a game mechanic perspective it works perfectly fine. I just don't like it. (personal opinion)

The problem of it being an existing culture and other scanians becoming angry for changing that however I don't see as a problem at all. It seems to me no different to other scanians being angry for me giving the scanian culture isolationist as a new tradition unlock. It is just as much top down enforcement as changing a tradition to something else would be.

Reactions:
I don't think more CBs will help the Seljuks take Anatolia - they already have access to the kingdom-level invasion and kingdom-level holy war, but don't use them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think more CBs will help the Seljuks take Anatolia - they already have access to the kingdom-level invasion and kingdom-level holy war, but don't use them.
yeah this is also the case and is something endemic to the game, which is that realms don't collapse... irl there are reasons why byzantium failed to defend its borders, but in this game they lose armenia, then immediately stabilize. throwing more CBs at the Seljuks doesn't address this

Reactions:
I think the trouble is that a bonus to control growth isn't even really valuable for that sort of playthrough - if you've got your small, well-run kingdom, what sources are giving you low control? It feels like whenever I play that way, I'm already at max control all the time. I think a bonus that feels a little more impactful and actually helps build a strong, tall kingdom would be more appropriate, and lead to more engaging gameplay.
Not everything in each tradition has to be geared toward a single playstyle. There can be elements within one tradition that might not be as powerful or even be superfluous in one playstyle but work well with another. That's part of what makes deciding to adopt one tradition over another an actual decision to make.

People also seem to be making the mistake of thinking about the traditions in isolation, ignoring that a culture is almost never going to have just one tradition and that you will almost always have a few traditions in your culture. Not every tradition needs to gear itself toward a single method of play, and it's in fact one of the benefits of having a system like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

As promised, here is the first of what we like to call “summer teasers”. These will be kept fairly small in scope while we enjoy our summer vacation. Today, we’ll have a small showcase of a few traditions that you’ll be able to pick up with the upcoming overhaul for cultures. Remember that what you see is a work in progress, and may be subject to change before release.

View attachment 737726
[Image of the By the Sword tradition]

View attachment 737727
[Image of the Collective Lands tradition]

View attachment 737728
[Image of the Isolationist tradition]

View attachment 737729
[Image of the Mystical Ancestors tradition]

View attachment 737730
[Image of the Stalwart Defenders tradition]

View attachment 737731
[Image of the Staunch Traditionalists tradition]

We’ll be back with proper Dev Diaries sometime in August!
By the Sword - No limited to Kingdom-level holy wars, all CBs require one less level of Devotion than normal.
And the lord said, let there be... chaos!

Mystical Ancestors - Gain Renown for granting titles to House members, lose Piety for revoking them.
A great scientist has invented a Piety->Renown conversion machine!

Believe me, we are going to make some great messes of this brave new world! :D

Reactions:
Not everything in each tradition has to be geared toward a single playstyle. There can be elements within one tradition that might not be as powerful or even be superfluous in one playstyle but work well with another. That's part of what makes deciding to adopt one tradition over another an actual decision to make.

People also seem to be making the mistake of thinking about the traditions in isolation, ignoring that a culture is almost never going to have just one tradition and that you will almost always have a few traditions in your culture. Not every tradition needs to gear itself toward a single method of play, and it's in fact one of the benefits of having a system like this.
You're the one who said, "But it sounds very useful for a smaller scale, more tightly focused playthrough playing tall and building a highly developed, small monoculture kingdom."

What part sounds "very useful" if not the control growth? Surely not the paltry +5 general opinion?

Reactions:
will we be able to hybridize with multiple culture or does the hybridization process occur only between two cultures?
It's between two cultures, but you can then hybridize that hybrid culture again with another culture, being in effect a hybrid of more than two cultures.

ok, so it's a worthless waste of a slot, and therefore an indirect nerf to any culture that has it, assuming you don't as I do view it has having way more downsides than positives. that still seems like terrible balance, even for RP.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're the one who said, "But it sounds very useful for a smaller scale, more tightly focused playthrough playing tall and building a highly developed, small monoculture kingdom."

What part sounds "very useful" if not the control growth? Surely not the paltry +5 general opinion?
+5 same culture opinion is actually quite strong - remember, it applies not only to your character, but all characters of that culture, making that cultural region way more stable, with less factions and assassinations, generally translating to greater overall prosperity.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For 'Staunch Traditionalists' the stubborn trait becomes more common which seems really cool! Would it be possible to mod this affect in for other traits? If so then would it only be for the personality traits or would any trait be possible?
You should be able to, based on what they wrote in previous dev diaries. :)

CK3 is highly moddable. You could make it so that every male member of a particular dynasty turns into an Albino Dwarf Lunatic at age 60 if you wanted to. Heck, you could even have them turn into fire-breathing dragons, though you'd have to design any graphics, traits, and modifiers associated with that yourself. :)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
+5 same culture opinion is actually quite strong - remember, it applies not only to your character, but all characters of that culture, making that cultural region way more stable, with less factions and assassinations, generally translating to greater overall prosperity.
I don't agree - the AI's decisions to declare war or join factions only lightly depend on opinion. A +5 will not noticeably impact stability.

Reactions:
it does make them inferior if they have more downsides than positives though. isolationist seems entirely useless in this game
I guess it depends on how much it reduces the chance of people wandering off. Overall it doesn't look very useful, though. It might be more of a thing the AI has, making it hard to marry them. :)

The Control bonus could come into play if you conquer lords of the culture and trash their Control. They'll bring it up back up for you quickly. :)

I don't agree - the AI's decisions to declare war or join factions only lightly depend on opinion. A +5 will not noticeably impact stability.
Across hundreds, thousands instances - that marginal effect will have effect.

Reactions: