• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really? Skrillex is all the rage these days for people 15-25 I recon (I'm 20 and it is all the rage). Truth be told all dubstep is "all the rage", but I suppose Syndicate as a track is a bit too much techno?
For me it's not tech techno (if you want beeps the original theme had those in spades) but that it's just very, very bland. Throwing together a few bells and whistles does not a good dubstep tune make

Dentatus said:
Can we at least pre-order so we can fund this project?
Now this I find strange. We don't know who is developing this game, we don't know when it will be released, we don't know how much it will be... in fact we know next to nothing about the project. Yet you want to preorder it already?

Money talks and creates a concrete reality. I have faith in paradox in this type of genres as long as they are faithful to the game. I'll take their word for it if not they'll never recieve another cent from this customer.

That Skrillex tune had a good ambience to it in regards to "cyberpunk" feel. I think PDX should get him to do the music for the game, that would rock...

Money talks and creates a concrete reality. I have faith in paradox in this type of genres as long as they are faithful to the game. I'll take their word for it if not they'll never recieve another cent from this customer.

Taking it a little serious aren't you? Paradox is publishing this, not developing it.

Now this I find strange. We don't know who is developing this game, we don't know when it will be released, we don't know how much it will be... in fact we know next to nothing about the project. Yet you want to preorder it already?

It may seems a little rash. I personally make decision, to not buy a game before half an year after its release. On the other hand his money, his rules.

I have a one question to Paradox or developer of this game. Is this game going to be challenging, or will you win by default? Some old games were challenging. You have to really use your brain. When you've finished the game on hardest difficulty, you feels like your IQ went up. I miss this in today's games. They are without any challenge, they are boring. I feel like, I'm getting stupid by playing them. It may be fine for someone, who have hard day and wants just relax. I prefer movie for relax and games for challenge.

I have a one question to Paradox or developer of this game. Is this game going to be challenging, or will you win by default? Some old games were challenging. You have to really use your brain. When you've finished the game on hardest difficulty, you feels like your IQ went up. I miss this in today's games. They are without any challenge, they are boring. I feel like, I'm getting stupid by playing them. It may be fine for someone, who have hard day and wants just relax. I prefer movie for relax and games for challenge.

Weren't difficulty modes developed for this reason?

Weren't difficulty modes developed for this reason?

Not all games have difficulty modes though. So I guess the question should be is there difficulty settings in this game?

That Skrillex tune had a good ambience to it in regards to "cyberpunk" feel. I think PDX should get him to do the music for the game, that would rock...
I just hope Paradox will not use that so called dubstep music (and mainly Skrillex, who is the equivalent for dubstep of Tokyo Hotel for Rock). Dubstep is really noisy and people must been keen of that kind of music to get in the feeling of the game, which is not the case of classical game music (classic with some electronic synth, some soft rock etc).

I just hope Paradox will not use that so called dubstep music (and mainly Skrillex, who is the equivalent for dubstep of Tokyo Hotel for Rock). Dubstep is really noisy and people must been keen of that kind of music to get in the feeling of the game, which is not the case of classical game music (classic with some electronic synth, some soft rock etc).

I would love to hear the style of music that was in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The game fits into same sort of "Blade Runner" feel to it and imo it had the best soundtrack of any game last year.

Main Menu Music

Not all games have difficulty modes though. So I guess the question should be is there difficulty settings in this game?

I'm a big fan of the Fallout/JA2 style difficulty (i know, different systems, I'll explain)

In Fallout 1 & 2, the map was fairly constant, so if you go to this area you know you will fight monsters of higher/lower difficulty then in that area. The standard player is lead along your typical "medium" level difficulty, if they struggled they could level grind in newbie-ville a bit. For the hardcore/expert/I wanna be the man style players though they could access incredibly advanced stages with opening characters that allowed them to set their own difficulty.

It was "expert/hardcore" difficulty to beat the game without ever leveling up. It was hardcore difficulty to speed-run the whole game (i.e. go from 1st level to last level and beat the final boss).

And it was a lot of fun to combine the two. So once you knew the game you could skip to the best weapons/armor in the game...then go back to newbie ville and rampage through everything, Hulk style. The players could define their own path which made replayability far more fun then this artificial "let's just throw in collectibles to make it "replayable".

JA2 was nice because there were "options" that you could set to customize the game that also made it more/less difficult. Ignoring their difficulty & save system, I'm referring to their Realistic vs. Sci-Fi mode and Tons of Guns vs. Regular. If you didn't like to worry about ammo management etc. you could select tons of guns and never have to worry about equipment because your dead enemies were a cornicopia of loot. It allowed you to focus on the tactics instead of the micromangement of the game. Meanwhile with Sci-Fi mode, it unlocked certain items and levels that were very difficult, but also had big rewards if you beat them.

Instead of worrying about gimping/boosting the AI to make it more/less competitive for easy/medium/hard, why not have the main path be Medium, allow certain tactics (i.e. w/ strategy guide help) to make the game easier, and have "advanced" paths and challenges for "hard". That way you don't have to play the game 3 times to experience the full gambit, you could experience everything in one playthrough...and then hopefully want to experience it all again in a different order in a different playthrough.

Perhaps conquering your opponents in different order or trying out a different technology path. Trying for a passive conquest instead of full combat 24/7 and then go for a brutal rampage. THe game would remain the sandbox, it would be the known variable but how your progessed could change, and if the development team thinks of everything it can be far more rewarding then "collectibles" and "difficulty levels"

This better not be another mercenary hack job like JA: Back in Action by a studio full of clueless people whose only experience is making five bucks games for consoles which noone ever heard of...

This better not be another mercenary hack job like JA: Back in Action by a studio full of clueless people whose only experience is making five bucks games for consoles which noone ever heard of...

You didn't like Jagged Alliance?

:(

I thought it was quite good. And it's gotten multiple patches now as well.

You didn't like Jagged Alliance?

:(

I thought it was quite good. And it's gotten multiple patches now as well.

Dude, there's no Fog of War there, you always know where all enemies are... There's no "rolls" either, so if your shotgun guy has 0.5s aiming time, he will ALWAYS be 2x faster than any opponent in the whole game, meaning he can just run out of any cover in the whole game and will always kill whatever enemy is there like he was Clint from Good, Bad and Ugly. Always, I really mean he's always faster than every single enemy in the game. No choppers, no sector inventory, no humvee. It's like they took JA2, removed half of features (MERC isn't in the game either!), added 3D graphics and went to sell it just based on the game.

Cartel devs, whoever they are (that's the part that makes me hesitant about this title, devs didn't even surface yet), should take a good long look at JA: Back In Action just to learn how to NOT make their game...

Dude, there's no Fog of War there, you always know where all enemies are... There's no "rolls" either, so if your shotgun guy has 0.5s aiming time, he will ALWAYS be 2x faster than any opponent in the whole game, meaning he can just run out of any cover in the whole game and will always kill whatever enemy is there like he was Clint from Good, Bad and Ugly. Always, I really mean he's always faster than every single enemy in the game. No choppers, no sector inventory, no humvee. It's like they took JA2, removed half of features (MERC isn't in the game either!), added 3D graphics and went to sell it just based on the game.

Cartel devs, whoever they are (that's the part that makes me hesitant about this title, devs didn't even surface yet), should take a good long look at JA: Back In Action just to learn how to NOT make their game...

I think I have the benefit of now having played Jagged Alliance 2, so I don't have a similar game to compare it to.

I used to be in love with Syndicate (Amiga 500) and Syndicate Wars (PS). One of my favourite games ever.

I hope you will do a great job but I know that you are a very talented company and could achieve it. Wish you good luck and success.

Next week Syndicate remake is coming out but I fear that it will be a rather dumb shooter without a really good story :(

I think I have the benefit of now having played Jagged Alliance 2, so I don't have a similar game to compare it to.

It's an old but still a very good game (much like OpenTTD, hope you know this one). If you ever grab it, do yourself a favor and get the "1.13" mod right away. Makes for one of the best non-paradox strategy games out there.

Sometimes before they announce they will be making a game, I wish I could sit down devs of that game for a few hours at least, and show them other titles of the genre so they know what they are going against and what the expectations are. The 1.13 I mentioned would be good study material for Cartel devs, whoever they are, it's hugely successful for a good reason.

Oh and do yourself another favor and just don't rush into buying anything that has "Kalypso" written on it...

Oh and do yourself another favor and just don't rush into buying anything that has "Kalypso" written on it...

This is a sad but true statement

Kalypso has published some true gems (Tropico3+addon, Patrician4+addon and hopefully Port Royale3 :) ) but also lots of ...

Quite right, take a good look before buying something from them.