Can we talk about the Soviet Union nerfs?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Obviously yes, but which one is it? Do I spam USA twice? Thrice? Is it some mysterious combination between them?
I took germany(the others disappear after you take one) and than 3 new decisions appear, one of them is 5% civ construction and -5% consumer goods. You can only take one of the 3 upgrades
I think the 3 decisions which appear are always the same for every country but not sure

Reactions:
I guess you could say that USA should lend lease russia but good luck with that in Singleplayer with AI USA.
Yeah, what's up with that, why land-lease is basically non-existant?? Only once I managed to ask USA for land-lease (after they did their focuses, in 42), while holding the whole Axis alone while Allies were chilling in no-supply Africa, and the only thing they gave me was 17 rifles!

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So, game accurately represents how the USSR industrialised massively in the lead up to the war, but were caught unprepared on the field in 1941.
I don't care what it represents correctly or not. I care about MP balance. And having no meaningful industry to rival the axis is a death sentence. Before NSB Russia crumbled way too fast in most MP games anyway, now it just got worse.

Reactions:
Tried the Soviet tree yesterday. Really disappointed with it. The entire nation is now weak beyond measure. The paranoia system is just ridiculous and don’t get me started on the civil wars.

It seems far too unnecessarily complex and quite frankly, dull.

• 6Like
Reactions:
i dont have time for a 70 day Focus which gives me under 10 Factories
I take it you've never done the following focuses then:
Uk:
Limited Rearmament
The Shadow Scheme
Royal Ordinance Factories

Germany:
Integrate War Economies
German War Economy
Herman Goering Werke
KDF-Wagen

Japan:
Guide the Zaibatsus
Nationalize the Zaibatsus
Challenge the Zaibatsus
Imperial Arsenals
Ally with the Zaibatsus

Italy:
Industrial Effort
Industrial Effort II
Army Primacy

France:
Industrial Expansion
Colonial Industry (can technically give 10 factories, but you have to do four other focuses for it to do that)
Form the State Arsenals
National Champions

USA:
Arsenal of Democracy
Military Construction
USACE Projects

And that's just the majors.

Yes, I'm being facetious here. But saying that you "don't have time for a 70 day focus that gives me under 10 factories" is not a very good measure for how good a focus is.

• 8Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
So, game accurately represents how the USSR industrialised massively in the lead up to the war, but were caught unprepared on the field in 1941.
Not really no, 3rd year plans make you weaker instead of stronger (Who thought +5% consumer goods was a good idea?), some focuses take too long, are useless or are a massive PP drain.

I suspect the tree was designed to be finished some time around 1945 except all the European theatres are closed by 1943 and so the focus tree ends up failing both the player and developers.

Also Hoi 4 is about snowballing, hard and for the Soviet Union there's absolutely no way to come back from that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Tried the Soviet tree yesterday. Really disappointed with it. The entire nation is now weak beyond measure. The paranoia system is just ridiculous and don’t get me started on the civil wars.

It seems far too unnecessarily complex and quite frankly, dull.
I really really really dont like the randomness with the paranoia system.
Stalin wants to purge a Navy Admiral or debuff navy stuff? Fuck yeah, navy is useless anyways
Stalin wants to reduce my political power income or purge the Captain of Industry advisor at the beginning of the game? Guess I lose 60pp because I can't allow that, which leads to even more paranoia events(why does it cost me 60pp and +30 paranoia anyway?)

In one playthrough the zhukov purge event appeared 3 times in a row. It just doesnt feel good

• 6Like
Reactions:
I take it you've never done the following focuses then:
Uk:
Limited Rearmament
The Shadow Scheme
Royal Ordinance Factories

Germany:
Integrate War Economies
German War Economy
Herman Goering Werke
KDF-Wagen

Japan:
Guide the Zaibatsus
Nationalize the Zaibatsus
Challenge the Zaibatsus
Imperial Arsenals
Ally with the Zaibatsus

Italy:
Industrial Effort
Industrial Effort II
Army Primacy

France:
Industrial Expansion
Colonial Industry (can technically give 10 factories, but you have to do four other focuses for it to do that)
Form the State Arsenals
National Champions

USA:
Arsenal of Democracy
Military Construction
USACE Projects

And that's just the majors.

Yes, I'm being facetious here. But saying that you "don't have time for a 70 day focus that gives me under 10 factories" is not a very good measure for how good a focus is.
I don't understand your argument here, nearly all these foci you mentioned are essential industrial foci for the specific countries to be viable. 70 days to claim Bessarabia is not a top priority in the soviet focus tree lol. You already have no time as russia to complete all important foci like your 2 research slots + purge + army buffs before Barbarossa hits
Another example would be the 2x35 Foci to send volunteers to china
It also takes 245 days to completely remove the Air debuff as russia, why not create some decisions to use air xp to fix your airforce? instead of these boring foci

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
So I also did my first game as Soviet Union up to 41 and have to agree that its weaker then before. Below are some screenshots from that game:
Which is a GOOD thing as I was in Berlin by January 1942 before the DLC. And SOV should be weaker in 1941 and get stronger in 42 and also in 43. You know like it happened in real life.
You see here that I only have 302 factories. That is less then I could achieve before. I Also failed at raising my recruitment law intime, so I had not enough manpower to bring all equipment into the field. (The reason is that I just had not enough PP). I also overproduced a lot of things, because I got much more from the baltic countries then i expected and I was able to finish the Air-Force doctrin in the spanish civil war, but barely have any land-doctrine.
On the other hand that low factory count is countered by the high production each factory achieves:
It called CHOICES.
So in conclusion I kinda have mixed feelings: Its defintly possible to outproduce the german ai this way, but in MP for sure not. Also I did not like that I had to ignore severall parts of the focus tree because it just took to long to do the rest.

It's why you need the allies to pull their weight. And why should you be able to do everythin in 1941?

• 14Like
Reactions:
Soviets are weak in '41? Good. They should be. This is always as it should have been and the silver lining is this - they've been able to reduce the ahistorically strong Soviet Union a bit, because they now correctly model that pushing into them rapidly will be a supply nightmare for the Germans, so the Soviets are still capable of slowing their advance sufficiently in '41, and you're supposed to beat the Germans after '41, not during it.
It's not a supply nightmare for the Germans.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Which is a GOOD thing as I was in Berlin by January 1942 before the DLC. And SOV should be weaker in 1941 and get stronger in 42 and also in 43. You know like it happened in real life.
So:
1.Calm down. No reason to get offensive, i just posted my first impressions
2.I dont know why you think that you cant be in Berlin in 42 with this build. Just did that. Its same in SP as before the update: You can directly go into a full scale offensive when germany starts barb.
3.I just dont like it when there are large kinda interesting but weak parts of focus trees, you would like to pick for immersion, but have no real time to do that. Here I skipped 90% of the diplomacy, the naval and air force part.
Bonus negative points when those things were actually done before the war in RL .
4.Yes, choices are nice , but i dont see choices in the part of my post that you quoted. I just listed things i did wrong and would improve next time. For example me having full air doctrin and a low level of landdoctrin does not result from my actions. (Or better it results from the lack of actionsn) I did not focus on getting it. You just, get so many air exp in spain that airdoctrine is really easy to get

Reactions:
So:
1.Calm down. No reason to get offensive, i just posted my first impressions
2.I dont know why you think that you cant be in Berlin in 42 with this build. Just did that. Its same in SP as before the update: You can directly go into a full scale offensive when germany starts barb.
3.I just dont like it when there are large kinda interesting but weak parts of focus trees, you would like to pick for immersion, but have no real time to do that. Here I skipped 90% of the diplomacy, the naval and air force part.
Bonus negative points when those things were actually done before the war in RL .
4.Yes, choices are nice , but i dont see choices in the part of my post that you quoted. I just listed things i did wrong and would improve next time. For example me having full air doctrin and a low level of landdoctrin does not result from my actions. (Or better it results from the lack of actionsn) I did not focus on getting it. You just, get so many air exp in spain that airdoctrine is really easy to get
I had max air xp after SCW, Spent all of it on max upgrading my fighter 2 instead of doctrines and then had only 1 doctrine.

I had max air xp after SCW, Spent all of it on max upgrading my fighter 2 instead of doctrines and then had only 1 doctrine.
Ok. Yeah I just buffed engines to max. . I always have the idea that agility is the most important thing and that upgrading weapons is actually a downgrade because it reduces it.
But might be that my information aged bad.