Can we talk about the Soviet Union nerfs?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How is reading through all the focus tree, checking game files what desicions unlocked by a focus do or plotting graphs to decide if the industry path is worth it not metagaming?

If that's too much metagaming, then I guess we don't even need a UI with tooltips, since the scenario you lay out seems to favor not even reading any of the effects of any of the focuses. You don't even want to read through the focus tree? It's one of the larger mechanics in the game. I don't mean the Soviet tree; I mean focus trees in general.

I understand HOI4 isn't War in the East, but surely players of strategy games at least want some strategic choices to make.

And I feel like you missed some of the important things I mention. If you are complaining within 24 hours of game release (not even 24 hours of gameplay, just within a day of release) that the Soviets are nerfed, then I feel like you not only didn't metagame, but you don't even have something resembling a decent data set to draw a conclusion from.

I could understand it better if someone asked "Is the Soviet Union nerfed?" But asserting it right out of the gate without even reading tooltips in the UI seems a bit silly.

Who even continues to play after the Soviets capitulated Germany?
Enough people that I see complaints on this forum about once a week from people who are dissatisfied with the peace conference system. And to give them credit, yeah, the conference system has some issues. British Occitania forming from Vichy in one of my games is, how shall we say, a bit of an issue.

There are also plenty of players who want to run Unthinkable as their post-war option; considering that even historical Britain drew up a study of that outcome, I don't think it's unreasonable for players to want to give it a try.

And furthermore, the focus in question fires/opens the moment you conclude a war with any faction, not just Germany. If the Soviets go after Japan in 1939 and manage to win quickly, that focus could come into play more quickly than you realize. Or if someone is playing with no historical focuses turned on and the Baltic states decide to form a faction, the Soviets will get their post-war reconstruction then.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I have been playing HOI since HOI2, mostly with the SU. So far NSB sucks, it ties your hands, forces you on a never-ending click accept orgy of dialogs that gives you no agency, and bosted Germany on steroids.

Before NSB you had many ways to play the war, now you are forced on one way if you don´t want to get crushed by hordes of german soldiers in 1941. I am looking forwards to the next Road to 56 patch to get rid of this unfunny and uninspiring DLC. What a way to ruin the game.

This used to be fun and gave you ample way to explore different ways to develop your economy/country/army, now you are forced to metagame until 1941 not to get crushed. It killed all the originality and left you only with soul crushing metagame grinding.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: