• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ken the Roman

Are you out there Ken? You havn't posted in awhile. Will you be back for our next session on Monday?

I'll be there on Monday. Looks like the AI did ok by Rome last session. It picked up one of the two provinces I was hoping to get. And I'm assuming that it avoided wars, so the Romans should be tan, rested, and ready.

6th Session Tomorrow

Tomorrow we continue our Punic Wars campaign. Although "Greek Wars" would be a more accurate description. I'm surprised Carthage is even still around.

So does anyone have any bold predictions for tomorrow? Will the unofficial alliance of Macedonia and Rhoxoloni seek vengeance against the agressive kingdom of Pontus? Will Rome continue it's peaceful ways or look for new lands?

6th Session Complete

rome_map_7.jpg

15 December 621 AVC

----------------------Country List----------------------

Egypt: Sheltonious
Rome: KenG
Macedonia: Pax25
Pontus: Haramir
Roxoloni: Hotsax

Thanks guys for showing up tonight, good game. The ill fated Pontus suffered heavy losses at the hands of the newly formed Maccedonian/Egyptian alliance. The Kingdom of Pontus was betrayed by the Egyptian Empire, which had grown weary of the Pontic atrocities in greece. More to follow on all of tonights action. I hope to see some good AAR's. I love reading each nation's propaganda. I'll make sure to post some more of my own. Strength and Honor to you all!!!

Last edited:
Pontus and Macedonia really are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you guys ever start a second campaign I might join, if the hours somewhat suit me.

Egypt: 606-621 AVC

"Salutations to the Seleucids"
Egypt finished the war with the Seleucids early in the session. A civil war broke out right at the end so Egypt was able to gain 100% warscores from both sides, thus giving Egypt more lands than they might have gained otherwise. The Seleucids fought bravely, but had succumb to Egypt's vast numbers. At the end of our session the Seleucids had yet another civil war, and as luck would have it their capital of Seleucia was left all alone. Egypt was a few days away from annexing the once proud capital at our session's end.

"A Greek Tragedy"
After the Seleucid war's completion at the beginning of our session Egypt forged an alliance with an old friend, Macedonia. Some time afterwards Egypt cancelled its alliance with Pontus. Pontus's inability to win their wars against Macedonia or Rhoxoloni meant they were unworthy, and therefore useless to the Empire.

Some low level officials had assured the Pontic diplomat that Egypt would not attack their feeble nation. But unfortunately the information passed on to Pontus was inaccurate. When war once again broke out in greece Pontus sent all their forces into Macedonia, leaving their homelands undefended.

Then the Macedonian King called in a favor. The Emperor was reluctant to go to war again so soon, but agreed to assist his new ally. The Egyptian attack caught the Pontic Kingdom completely by surprise, which was surprising in itself since Egyptian troops had massed on the Pontic borders long before they attacked.

The Pontic homelands quickly fell before the Egyptian onslaught, and troops were soon sent to greece to help mop up the remaining Pontic forces. For Macedonia this was sweet revenge, for Egypt it was strictly business. At the end of our session Macedonia was still at war with Pontus and set to take all their holdings in Greece.

Now the Macedonians can reclaim what is rightfully theirs and put an end to the greek wars once and for all. It is rumored that once the Pontic King realized his country was doomed he immediately fled his beseiged nation. His whereabouts are still unknown. Be on the lookout for a short bitter man, rambling about how the cursed Egyptians robbed him of his glory.

"As The World Turns"
With Pontus essentially out of the equation, Big Mac should consolidate Greece. I assume the Sarmatians will continue to colonize their fellow barbarians, which is a bit hypocritacal. And Rome is on the verge of a great victory against the Carthaginian AI. Which is alot like being the tallest midget, noone really cares. :)

I kid, I kid, I joke with you. Good game so far guys. And if I poked fun at your nation its all in good fun. Just trying to get some responses from you guys since this thread is so lifeless. Look forward to seeing your posts and next weeks game.

Strength and Honor to you all!!!!

Last edited:
Tomorrow We Continue Our Epic Quest

Tomorrow is Monday so I hope you guys are ready. Anyone who wants to join us feel free to show up in the Metaserver at 5:30pm GMT-5 or Central Standard Time (CST) for my North American brethren. I was hoping that I would not be the only one to post about our last session. Hopefully we can get some more activity on this thread in the future. I look forward to tomorrow and hope to see you all there.

P.S. The NFL season starts next Sunday, thank god. Go Cowboys!!!

Monday

Hey,

Just wanna tell you to not wait for me tomorrow, i wont be at home, anyways im kinda dead, so have fun and ill join you in the next game.

I might not show up tonight on time. However, I could probably use a messenger (Gmail, Yahoo, MSN) to contact someone when I show up. I'll also have to be quitting early if I manage to show up.

Rome: The Wooden Wall

In 621, Rome will seek peace with Carthage, repair the ravages or war, and begin construction of the great wooden wall.

I might not show up tonight on time. However, I could probably use a messenger (Gmail, Yahoo, MSN) to contact someone when I show up. I'll also have to be quitting early if I manage to show up.

Hotsax. You can contact me in-game on Xfire at Pax25. Add me as a friend.

7th Session Complete

rome_map_8-1.jpg

14 September 638 AVC

----------------------Country List----------------------

Egypt: Sheltonious
Rome: KenG
Macedonia: Pax25
Roxoloni: AI

Thanks Pax and Ken for showing up tonight. Good game so far. Things just started to get interesting in the last 15 minutes of our game when Rome launched an unprovoked attack against the mighty Egyptian Empire. The war was just getting started when everyone had to go. Should be some interesting AAR's to follow (fingers crossed). Tomorrow I'll give you guys all the details on the opening salvo of the Egyptian/Roman war. The long awaited epic battle between the ancient worlds two superpowers is at hand. Strength and Honor to you all!!!

Last edited:
Egypt: 621-638 AVC

"A Seemingly Ordinary Session"
Our 7th session had been rather uneventful. Egypt finished off the last remnants of the Seleucids and Parthians, finally unifying the east once and for all.
The majority of the time was spent reorganizing and increasing the Egytian Army while increasing the Egyptian Fleet to 300 ships. The army was estimated to be around 260 legions strong.

And yet with all these advantages in the year 636 AVC the Senate of Rome somehow figured the time was right to strike. Egyptian scholars debate this decision by the romans without end. About the only thing the scholars can agree upon is that this marked the beginning of Rome's decline.

"Prelude to War"
In January of 636 AVC a large Roman fleet amassed off the coast of Crete. Prior to this the Romans had been trying to push Egypt to war by various acts of espionage. Egypt did not believe Rome to be worth their time and ignored such insults. The new Emperor was busy with other matters and considered Rome inferior. But the republic of Rome eventually laid claim to an Egyptian border province in Africa, thus giving them their Causi Belli.

"The Emperor's Pride"
Shortly after Rome recieved their Causi Belli they declared war on the Egyptian Empire. And in January of 636 they invaded the undefended isle of Crete. The Empire had been preparing for such a war and had prestaged their entire 300 ship fleet in anchor at Marmarica. Everything was in place for a quick and decisive response.

Everything except capable leadership. The 300 ships were broke down into fleets of 60 ships per. Each with their own admiral. One such admiral had been chosen for his 10 Martial rating. But another fleet was commanded by the Emperor Charias Omirid himself. Omirid was only 18 years of age and had only just recently taken command of the Imperial fleet.

Being young, and foolish, he assumed he should lead the Empire's fleet into battle. So when Egypt's fleet engaged the Romans, the Roman Admiral easily outmanuevered the young Emperor and the results were disastorous. The Roman fleet consisted of 249 ships, lost 0 in the battle and sent 60 Egyptian ships to the bottom of the sea. The young Emperor quickly realized he was outmatched and ordered his fleets to retreat to Marmarica with all haste.

"Revenge of Ptolemy Savacid"
Back in port Emperor Omirid admitted his mistake and vowed to never let his pride get the better of him. He appointed Ptolemy Savacid, who had a Martial value of 10, as head of the Imperial Fleet. Savacid personally oversaw the repairs to his battered fleet. "It was a miracle we did not lose more ships in that tragic battle" Savacid was quoted as saying.

He instantly went to work planning their next attack. The Romans had been given great confidence by the victory in the sea of Sinis Messeniacus. Additional egyptian ships had been lost in the retreat and Admiral Savacid had only 197 ships left, and now the Roman fleet had swelled to 265 ships off the coast of Crete. The Roman fleet remained to support the invasion of Crete.

Though the Egyptian fleet was now outnumbered they did have several technological advantages over the Romans. Most importantly, they had the advantage when attacking. Savacid knew this and as his fleet was repairing he planned his revenge.

He also knew while his fleet was in port repairing the Roman fleet remained out at sea unable to repair the damage done from the previous battle. And in August of 636 AVC Admiral Savacid determined the time was right for his bold attack.

In the sea of Sinis Messeniacus, 197 Egyptian ships engaged the Roman fleet of 265 ships. The battle went heavily in Egypt's favor, showcasing the skills of Admiral Savacid. 201 Roman ships were sent to the brimy deep, while the Egyptians only lost 81 ships.

The power of the Roman Navy was broken and with the Egyptians massive income and multiple ports they were well on thier way to replenishing their losses at sea in short order.

"The Egyptian Juggernaught"
After the Roman navy was defeated, Emperor Omirid was confident that the central and northern sectors of his Empire were safe from naval invasion. Thus allowing him to mobilize his vast armies to go on the offensive. Troops were being funneled into Roman held lands in Africa, aided by gaining Military Access from Carthage. And the speed of these deployments was enhanced by the Egyptian road network that was built in the late 620's.

Egypt's troops quickly defeated the Roman armies stationed in Africa and will soon bring all of North Africa under Egyptian control. When the session ended in 638 the war was still in its early stages but Egypt had already won major victories and was setting the tempo.

The cowardly Roman Senate sent a diplomat to beg for a White Peace, but the Emperor sent him back with uproarious laughter. "Now they want peace? Ha! I shall discuss peace with these senators in Rome itself, at the head of a mighty Egyptian Army!" proclaimed the young Emperor.

In late 638 Omirid disovered that the Roman Army's size was vastly inferior to his own. This only emboldened young Omirid. The next stage of the war is expected to take place in the Italian peninsula, the heartland of Rome.

"As The World Turns"
Rome's attack on Egypt backfired and now they are at Egypt's mercy. Next session should be very interesting indeed. Macedonia remain's loyal to Egypt even though they are allied to Rome.....according to the Macedonian King. What he tells Rome behind closed doors remains to be seen. Next Monday should be alot of fun....for Egypt :). I look forward to your AAR's and Rome's propaganda, lol, Strength and Honor to you all!!!!

Last edited:
Rome: 621 - 638 AVC

The Third Punic War was drawing to a close, when Rome, already weary from its strain, bled nearly dry by its intractable foe, and apprehensive that a lasting and just peace could not be arranged, was struck as if by a thunderbolt by a chilling message from the east: Judea was no more.
The light from the world's oldest, most sophisticated, and wisest religion had been snuffed out by the Egyptian cat worshipers. Not that this was entirely unexpected. For decades Rome had been watching Egypt's steady growth towards world domination. And for decades Rome had been building its wooden wall of ships in the hope of finding some protection from
this predatory monster that devoured all nations in its path to empire.

The Senate deliberated the various courses of action, ranging from the hot heads who called for an immediate war to liberate Jerusalem to the cautious elders who counseled taking advantage of the Greek civil wars to pull rich provinces into Rome's orbit and thereby grow stronger before turning to face the beast from the east. In due course, the Senatedevised a tripartite strategy:

1. Take advantage of the Egyptian ruler's heavy-handed rule by supporting those within his court whom he had mistreated, eventually sparking a rebellion that would loose the hounds of civil war on the unsuspecting cat fanciers.
2. Transfer the Spanish armies to the interior of Africa just outside Carthage, where, hidden by the dust clouds of that region, they would lie in wait as the Egyptian armies grew thinner and weaker during their long march across the North African wastes.
3. Mass their navies off Crete, launch an invasion, and then destroy the Egyptian fleet when it responded.

The first phase of the plan progressed flawlessly and had begun to bear fruit when, as oft happens in history, the wheel of time sped up and the Rome's window of opportunity began to close. The Senate reacted poorly, giving too little time and energy to phase one and instead hurrying on to phase three without sufficient oversight of phase two, which had been left to a consul better known for his indolence and caution then for timely action. Judging that once the Roman navy had defeated the Egyptian navy, he could then transfer the armies from Spain to Africa at his leisure, the consul
managed to transfer only one of the three armies before the fleet sailed towards its destiny off Crete.

Rome had studied the Egyptian's ship building habits since the day Egypt had defeated the Seleucid Empire and revealed to all its plans for world conquest. Although the Egyptian fleet was judged to be prodigious, the Romans believed they had a slight numerical advantage. Additionally, they
had three exemplary admirals, more than could be cut down in a single stroke by the practiced, but thoroughly despicable, Egyptian assassins. And so, on this fine edge of advantage they cast their hopes.

The initial naval encounter went to the Romans. Although the Egyptian fleet was larger than expected, numbering over 300 triremes to the Rome's 240, they turned their cat-faced prows towards home and ran mewing and wailing back to port. Likewise, the victorious Roman fleet returned to their home
base to make repairs and prepare for the next round. Perhaps they tasted the wine of victory too often and too deeply, for when they next returned to sea they were met by not only a larger Egyptian fleet than the one they had previously defeated, but also one headed by the most able
commander that Egyptian money could buy. In the blink of an eye, the Roman fleet was nearly destroyed, with a mere 40 triremes escaping. Egyptian loses are unknown, but the most reliable observers estimate that they lost 150 triremes to the Roman's 200.

The land war in North Africa unfolded in predictable fashion: true to Rome's plan, the unwary Egyptian armies advanced slowly to the gates of Carthage. Once there, Rome launched its counter-attacks and, but for the lack of the armies sunning themselves on the beaches of southern Spain, they
came within an inch of destroying the Egyptians and, instead, themselves were destroyed.

Is all lost? Perhaps not: the Egyptians might yet come to their senses and reassure the world through their actions that they are not the monomaniacal world-beating monsters that they seem to be. By withdrawing their troops from Africa, renouncing their claim on Create, and re-establishing
the independent state of Judea, they can create the conditions for a lasting peace.

Is all lost? Perhaps not: the Egyptians might yet come to their senses and reassure the world through their actions that they are not the monomaniacal world-beating monsters that they seem to be. By withdrawing their troops from Africa, renouncing their claim on Create, and re-establishing
the independent state of Judea, they can create the conditions for a lasting peace.

As long as Egypt's allies remain loyal, they can reap the rewards of Egypt's conquests. In this case, the fall of Rome. I'm sure Macedonia would love to get their greek lands back from the Romans. Rhoxoloni and Macedonia have nothing to fear from their Egyptian allies anyway since it will take me the rest of our campaign to fully annex Rome. A conquest that like i mentioned earlier they will benefit from.

Why Ken?

And on a side note Ken, why did you downsize your army before you started the war? You must have known I had an insanely large army and superior tech to go along with it. And even if you did win the war at sea you would still lose Africa. I am just trying to understand your strategy. Or maybe you just wanted to end the game.

Besides that its been a good game. Although there should have been a check to Egypt's expansion. Next time I will choose a greek minor to play.

I didn't intentionally downsize. Any decrease was solely due to attrition during the last punic war. I decided to strike when I did because I saw the disparity in naval size just growing as Egypt became too rich to overtake in terms of ship building. It was a gamble. I thought I had just enough ships to reach a draw at sea. And I saw no way to hold on to Africa. I really was depending on a wooden wall.